Latest topics

» Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
by woofiedog Today at 8:58 pm

» Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)
by mechanic Today at 7:31 pm

» STA(Steel Tank Add-on) 3.2 (Steel Fury)
by mechanic Today at 7:28 pm

» Легкий танк Pz-38(t)
by will73 Today at 1:37 pm

» Best laptop for playing
by Lightning62 Today at 7:37 am

» Woofie the Dog's Skin Shop
by woofiedog Today at 5:49 am

» All of the command keys are set to ???
by lockie Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:00 am

» Sta scranny 001:Error
by mechanic Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 pm

» Missing Keyboard Defaults
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:10 pm

December 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Directional Control Inputs (keyboard)

dwain7

Directional Control Inputs (keyboard)

Post by dwain7 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:34 pm

I am having an issue with STA 3.x involving directional control imputs.  I am running the game in Win10 using a joystick.  The top hat switch normally controls direction, i.e. forward, reverse, right, left, and full stop.  Button 4 controls short stop.

In running the Nazi Power missions, I notice that after a few minutes of a mission tank directional control becomes very difficult.  The full s top command ceases working, and the tank responds erratically to the directional control inputs.  Try to reverse and the tank goes forward either to the right or the left, etc.  If I just let the tank go its own way, it goes all over the place with no seeming rhyme or reason.  Sometimes directional control is restored after a minute or two, other times, not.

Lockie told me the game was not really designed for a joystick, but the options menu does include a joystick opt out choice, meaning that a joystick was at least contemplated by the developers.

Net, has anybody else seen this problem, and if so, has anyone found a solution to it?

Thanks,
    mechanic

Re: Directional Control Inputs (keyboard)

Post by mechanic on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 am

Joystick doesn't work properly.

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:02 am

No, that is not the problem. Works fine with everything else and almost all of the other missions in STA 3.x.
    mechanic

Post by mechanic on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:15 pm

AFAIK, usb devices doesn't work properly with Steel Fury game.
    Dennys_JK76

Post by Dennys_JK76 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi Dwain7,

I had this issue once with my Logitech joystick with MS Flight Sim. The joystick was not recognizd after a few minutes in game.

possible reason: sounds like your USB ports are going to sleep Mad  

possible solution:
    Go to Device Manager,
    find USBs,
    click Properties
    and IF there is a Power Management tab under properties, click it and REMOVE the tick next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

But this was not alone working for me (I use Win8.1) and then I found this solution which finally helped, it was a solution for Win7 though: - but you should try this, strongly recommended

It is in the advanced power management settings for Windows

(USB Settings - USB selective suspend setting - enable/disable)

I quote from the solution: "...easy way to fix it.

Since XP, the Windows operating system has come with a feature called USB Selective Suspend. This allows the system to turn off specific USB ports without affecting the other USB ports. This is supposed to save power by closing down ports that are only used intermittently. However, sometimes the port does not get turned back on when it is needed. On a desktop or other system where this type of power saving is not crucial, consider disabling this feature if you are experiencing USB connection problems.

The feature can be disabled or re-enabled in Control Panel.

Open Control Panel
       Go to: Hardware and Sound->Power Options
       Find your preferred or now active power plan and click “Change plan settings”
       Click “Change advanced power settings”
       A dialog box ... will open
       Find the entry “USB settings” and expand it
       Expand the entry “USB selective suspend setting”
       Use the drop-down menu to disable or re-enable the setting (suspend setting should be set to DISABLED ofc)
       Click "OK"."

Quote end.

Tataah! This fixed it for me and I can finally land properly cheers

Maybe this will help you with that problem

Bestest,

Dennis

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Dennis, thank you. I will certainly give this a try.

In my case, it is not that the joystick just stops working completely in the middle of a mission. The control inputs (left, right, forward, back, stop) become erratic. Try to reverse from a stopped position and the tank moves forward. Try to turn right and the tank turns left. Sometimes the tank just turns on it own, un-commanded with not control input, when traveling in a straight line.

I play the game with the gunner being my default position. Basic maneuvering is done in external view (PF9) mode. I also have noted that the directional input control problem seems to be isolated to the missions where the PKW Mk VIa (Tiger 1) is the player tank. I have never had this problem when playing missions using the Mk IV, Mk III, T-34, or any other tank model. Even then, the problem seems to be isolated to the Nazi Power missions set and the Machine Head mission (PKW Mk IVa) in one of the game paks. Plus, I do not have any joystick problems with any of my flight simulator games (FS9, Cliffs of Dover, CFS3 ETO, PTO, etc). That is why I think the issue is somehow in the missions themselves, but I am just guessing about that.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:58 pm

dwain7 wrote:I think the issue is somehow in the missions themselves, but I am just guessing about that.
    I may assure u, that missions scripts doesn't effect the usb port(joystik) in any way. I've to confess, SF game itself doesn't want to work with usb device properly. We can do nothing without Source Code Sad

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:13 am

I think I had problems with the input keys in the past in STA 3.X. They were due to a bug in the file that assigns the keys to the functions. There were some assignments not valid for some specific rarely used functions, but they produced problems even in the basic controls (left, right, forward, back, stop). I think that I solved the problem by installing a bug fix developed by Lockie for the wrong input keys. Lockie, do you remember that fix for the input keys? Have you incorporated it in the latest patch of STA 3.X? Perhaps it is necessary to include it !

Txema

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Good news !!!

I have found the mod released by Lockie some time ago to fix the problem with the input controls.

If you have problems with the input controls in STA 3.1, please install this mod:

4shared.com/rar/uYZUgV-Xba/v09_keyboard_init.html

Enable this mod last in the list. Then you have to create a new player's profile.

Please, check the fix and report the results here !

Txema

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:39 pm

I will give that a try.

Just a question for you...Do you play the game with a joystick, or just using keyboard and mouse? If you are using a joystick, is it via a USB connection or an older style pin (e.g. RCA) connection?

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:12 pm

I don't use a joystick, I just use keyboard and mouse.

The joystick is not realistic for WWII tanks... Well, it is as realistic as a mouse Smile Smile

Txema

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Well, I loaded the keyboard file and created a new profile. The problem is still occurring. A couple of things, though....(1) The missions start up correctly and the directional controls are fine until the shooting starts. That is when the control inputs become erratic. (2) If I go totally "hands off" after the controls become erratic, the tank begins maneuvering on its own. Seemingly without rhyme or reason, but the movements (right, left, forward, reverse) happen without any user control input. The tank seems to be reacting in recognition to the appearance of any AI target (infantry, anti-tank gun, opposing armor, etc). It is like AI takes over the player tank and you have to struggle to regain any reasonable amount of control. Just reporting my observations on this.

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:27 pm

dwain7,

I am sorry to hear that...

What happen if you unplug the joystick and control your tank just with the keyboard? Does it work properly if you use just the keyboard?

Txema

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:50 pm