October 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Halali! and Horrido! from an old newbee

Dennys_JK76

Halali! and Horrido! from an old newbee

Post by Dennys_JK76 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi there,

I was searching the web for good tank simulations (prefereably with SP Campaigns) for German WW2 tanks and I am amazed to find out that this still seems to be the "best" (in terms of realism) Panzer sim there is. There are newer (super-expensive) ones for newer tanks but they don't interest me.
    WoT is Arcade, sometimes I still play it, just to shut it down after a few rounds, craving for a good tank game...

So, I am considering buying this old game from gamersgate (20 EUR still).

During my research I stumbled over your STA Mod/Addition/Overhaul (which makes me even think about buying this old game) and it looks very promising from what I have read up to now.

My first question:
    Are there all those fixes/patches included which are necessary to be able to run it on "modern" rigs (like mine: i7- 2.4 GHz, 8GB Ram; Nvidia GT 730M, 2 GB)?

And, second question:
    Do you know a source for day-to-day operations of single units, so that you can prepare a mission for yourself with the mission editor, based on the real events that happened?
    What I really would love to do is preparing a campaign (mission after mission after mission, day by day) for me on real accounts of the 3rd Panzer Division. They are coming from Berlin/Brandenburg and that is where i also come from and their way during the war looks interesting (Was in Poland 1939, was in Netherlands+Belgium+France May/June 1940, was in Russia starting from Brest-Litowsk 1941, Army Group Centre, all the way up to almost Moscow, then withdrawal direction Kursk and defensive operations from end December 1941 to February 1942; then dispatched to Army Group South, from Charkov to the Kaukasus and then back to Mius River north of Rostov, from March 42 to March 43. After that part of the Southern Kursk Force (July 43) and being a firefighter at the Mius Front; end of 1943 taking part at the Battle at the Dnjepr (Tsherkassy, Kanev, Kiev). Withdrawal back to the Rumanian border in June 44, dispatched to the North just to see the Soviet Summer Offensive, after that back South, trying to defend Budapest, and eventually final retreat to Austria, where they capitulated to the Americans in May 45).

Do you know where to find DETAILED information so that it could be somehow possible to follow their path?

Thanks for reading throug this novel popcorn

Best!

Dennis
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Halali! and Horrido! from an old newbee

Post by lockie on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi, Dennys_JK76
    Welcome to the armor board!
    U wanted the best and u got the best!
    The hottest mod in the world - STA!  flag  happy  viking

Dennys_JK76 wrote:I was searching the web for good tank simulations (prefereably with SP Campaigns) for German WW2 tanks and I am amazed to find out that this still seems to be the "best" (in terms of realism) Panzer sim there is.
    U got the right place! The default STA1.2 mod has ~300 SP missions!

WoT is Arcade, sometimes I still play it, just to shut it down after a few rounds, craving for a good tank game...
    WoT it's a GOOD chance to play with a human via online. BUT there are no neither AT guns nor infantry, thus it's not a true sim. The same situation with a Tank Thunder. Of course, it's only my point. And hey, whatever it seems to be - the first deal it is a game! So, if u really want to be involved into true tanksim, then u'd better to pay attention to Steel Beasts. SF it's a GAME, where the first thing - it's get a fun and shoot the bricks! U don't want to be bothered with tactics and other annoying thins as keep on eyes at er wingmen or whatever. Everything in the mission depends on ONLY from YOU and YOUR TANK!

So, I am considering buying this old game from gamersgate (20 EUR still).
    I wonder who gets the money? The original devs from Graviteam don't get a penny. This situation reminds me smth. similar to what happened with Clear Water Revival.

My first question:
    Are there all those fixes/patches included which are necessary to be able to run it on "modern" rigs (like mine: i7- 2.4 GHz, 8GB Ram; Nvidia GT 730M, 2 GB)?
    Yep, u've a good rigs. Suppose u'll will hit 50-60 FPS in the hardest scenes. But u need a good IT background and patience to adjust everything properly.

And, second question:
    Do you know a source for day-to-day operations of single units, so that you can prepare a mission for yourself with the mission editor, based on the real events that happened?
    Yep, it's possible. SF has a VERY powerful Mission Editor, but u need a bit of programming skill.

What I really would love to do is preparing a campaign (mission after mission after mission, day by day) for me on real accounts of the 3rd Panzer Division.
    Then u're abt. to get the dreams comes true! happy

Was in Poland 1939, was in Netherlands+Belgium+France May/June 1940
    This period is almost without implementation. We don't have Poland Army 1939, but we've a plans to implement it with Pz.IV ausf.D. When it'll happen - I've no idea.
    A confrontation GER vs USR is quite good implemented in common sense: 1941-42-43-44-45.

Do you know where to find DETAILED information so that it could be somehow possible to follow their path?
    U may find it here!
    Have a look there:
    http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t8-faq-sf-editing
    Dennys_JK76

Post by Dennys_JK76 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi Lockie and Thanks for the warm welcome and helpful attitude I love you

Uiuiui! I guess I will have to study this a bit further, but will definitly try the Mission Editor!

First hurdle is to get the base game running, I guess from what I have read.

I think I need the Install fix from 4shared.com
    as well as the widescreen thingy fix

And then I can start with STA 1.2 (for the beginning - once I see it works, I will happily donate, you guys deserved it), with recommended installation order as described in your installation instructions.
    Correct?

Wish me luck! I have a bit IT-knowledge, but I am not an expert, I am able to help my friends with their general PC problems, but when I have unsolvable problems I have ONE guy who can help me still, so let's see (fingers crossed).

Thanx and Best!

Dennis

PS: Once all this works I "just" have to find the historical resources for the path of the 3rd Pz-Div (incl. Pz-Rgt 5 and 6), still don't seem to find detailed accounts on their way allthrough Europe.
    Do you have a history buff in your ranks to direct me into websites for research where I could find detailed info???
    Thx again!
    D.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:46 pm

Dennys_JK76 wrote:Hi Lockie and Thanks for the warm welcome and helpful attitude I love you
    salute

And then I can start with STA 1.2 (for the beginning - once I see it works, I will happily donate, you guys deserved it), with recommended installation order as described in your installation instructions.
    Correct?
    Follow exactly as it noted on the first page to install STA1.2

Wish me luck!
    I wish u luck! gcat

Do you have a history buff in your ranks to direct me into websites for research where I could find detailed info???
    I need to look over what the books do I've. Meanwhile 3rd PD is presented in SF with insignia.
    Dennys_JK76

Post by Dennys_JK76 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:58 pm

Thank you for holding my hands through this one...errh...have another question...

I am now at the stage where I wanted to DL STA 1.2
    through these instructions: http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t6-steel-tank-add-on-steel-fury-1-2
    ...I know now - English version Only, following this order:

"1. STA 1.2 link1, link2
    2. 4GB patch. It is MUST for Windows 7,8,10 owners. See also.
    3. GMP1.x (optional)
    4. GMP2.x (optional)
    5. GMP3.x (optional)
    6. fixSTA1.2_July2016
    7. Any Weather Mod (optional)"

I'm already stuck at point 1 Embarassed
    It seems these are torrent only, and one of the essential warnings of my friendly IT guy friend was to avoid torrents.Evil or Very Mad

Is there a way to get these files as .zip or .rar or similar via 4shared or similar?

because I really have concerns using torrents from what was told to me. And I know my friendly IT guy will not be so friendly anymore with me when I tell him that I installed a torrent program and dl'ed torrent files (without him being present).

I should have read through this forum with my eyes more open, it is clearly mentioned that its a torrent Rolling Eyes
    Now, I have already bought the game facepalm  otherwise I would have waited until this weekend
    (just made a little test run, just to see, and yes: I have only 2/3 of the screen, but it started, at least - so I can at lest say: the base game is successfully installed.)
    You see me now in a bit desperate state Sad

Dennis tedious
    mechanic

Post by mechanic on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:36 am

Dennys_JK76 wrote:
    It seems these are torrent only
    Hi, Dennys_JK76
    Why do you think it is a torrent file only?
    Dennys_JK76

Post by Dennys_JK76 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi Mech!

I came to this conclusion, because after hitting the dl-Button, I just downloaded 13kb and the name of the downloaded file is: STA1.2.torrent.
    ANd I also read it here somewhere in the forums, soooooo, I guess I will have to (impatiently) wait until the weekend (and to hope that my buddy has time to assist me or at least has a look at what I am doing, because I am absolutely inexperienced with torrents.

But you need to know, here in Germany we fall under a general suspicion, for when we use torrents these will be used for illegal music or movie downloads. And then we get extremely expensive lawyer letters. I dont have the money for that.
    I also have my music and a few of my movies/documentaries on my PC and I do not know if I would have to erase these from my PC, before installing the torrent software, so that I cannot be sued for distributing copyrighted content. I know there once was the initial innocence assumption for the sued (in dubio pro reo) but this is long gone in the EU...we are sold here to the oligarchs, the EU commission becoming as corrupt as the American senate already is...and therefore: no rights for those who use torrents.
    But I will check this issue with my "friendly IT guy" buddy and then we will see.

Bestest!

D.
    Dennys_JK76

Post by Dennys_JK76 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:04 pm

lockie wrote:

I need to look over what the books do I've. Meanwhile 3rd PD is presented in SF with insignia.

I was doing a bit of research.
    I found THE book for actions of the 3rd Pz Div, yoohoo!!! it is the English version of a German book that is not available online...

Armored Bears Volume One: The German 3rd Panzer Division in World War II, Band 1, it is on google books

a few pages are blanked out, but it helps for the beginning.

I will also check with the German Federal Archives over here, they should have something stored about the actions of the various units, I mean, we have such a huge bureaucracy, it should be good for something at least. I am wondering a bit, why I did not instantly find an archive for "Wehrmachtsberichte" and "Kriegstagebücher"...there should definitely be one confused

And according to the above, earlier mentioned torrent problem, did i oversee sth or is there no other way to get this mod? Because my friend can not come over to have a look what i am doing at the moment, and thus I will not be able to play this game i am sooo craving for tedious
    mechanic

Post by mechanic on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:24 am

Hi, Dennys_JK76
    I came to this conclusion, because after hitting the dl-Button, I just downloaded 13kb and the name of the downloaded file is: STA1.2.torrent.
    This is wrong conclusion. 4share has a direct link. Read STA1.2 how to download from 4share.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:34 am