Latest topics

August 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Blurry Compass Problem Resolved

dwain7

Blurry Compass Problem Resolved

Post by dwain7 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:24 am

I have had ongoing problems with blurry textures in both the game options menus and with the compass and icons in game play. This occurred in both STA 1.x (all versions) and in STA 3.1. After spending some time exchanging private e-mails with Lockie, the problem appeared to be associated with the anti-aliasing settings in my ATI Radion graphics card. After tinkering with them for a bit, I finally was able to find a fix that resolved the problem. I will remain watchful to see if the fix is permanent.

Lockie asked that I post what I did for those of you who play the game using an ATI graphics card who may also be have texture resolution issues.

I will start with the initial settings that were seen in the Catalyst interface to my graphics card. Here is a screenshot of the initial state. Note that there is no absolute "turn off" switch for anti-aliasing. Apparently "Use Application Settings" is the turn off equivalent. Note also that the filter is set to "Standard", Method is set to Multisampling, and Morphological Filtering is Off.

I made the following changes: I left Use Application Settings as they were originally. I then set Filter to Edge-Detect, Method to Adaptive Multi-Sampling, and Morphological Filtering to On (Full Screen 3d Application Only). I applied these settings and then restarted the game. Lo and behold! the blurry textures were gone, and screen resolution was much better all around. Here is a screenshot of what the game looks like with these changes to the anti-aliasing settings.

I then went back into the anti-aliasing settings and returned them to the original state (shown in the first screen shot above) and restarted the game. The fix had taken and so far 5 days later they are still standing tall.

I cannot say with any degree of technical certainty what caused the change by doing what I did, I just know it worked. If any of you out there have the same resolution problems and are using ATI graphics technology, give this a try. I cannot promise it, but it may solve your resolution issue. Personally, I think it was the Edge-Detect that did it, but I am just guessing about that.

dwain7

Re: Blurry Compass Problem Resolved

Post by dwain7 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:26 am

You will also note that my forum screen shot posting skills are less than optimal. I am still learning.
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:07 am

The CCC no longer exists? I have the Radeon Suites instead. Something I am using and I strongly recommend you try and it's free Dwain is Radeon Pro. It's a fantastic program which allows you to tweak all your games .Nvidia does not have anything like it. It's absolutely ideal for AA tweaking, visuals, overdrive( overclocking which I don't ), sweet Fx implementation etc. Try it .It takes 5 minutes downloading and installing just add the games you want and you'll see all the options you can use!

Here's the website: http://www.radeonpro.info/

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:32 am

Frenik, thank you. I will take a look at this.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:03 am