by will73 Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:34 am

August 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

STA 3.1 Issue

dwain7

STA 3.1 Issue

Post by dwain7 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:57 am

Installed STA 3.1, finally got the game to start. However, the missions crash during loading between 3% and 10%. I get a notepad error message as follows: Exception core:
    001: Error initialization program.

Anybody know what this is and what the fix is?
    mechanic

Re: STA 3.1 Issue

Post by mechanic on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:05 am

dwain7 wrote:Installed STA 3.1, finally got the game to start. However, the missions crash during loading between 3% and 10%. I get a notepad error message as follows: Exception core:
    001: Error initialization program.

Anybody know what this is and what the fix is?
    That's for sure the polygon absent.
    Read here:
    http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t34-errors-during-mission-d-l
    What is the mission name?

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:59 pm

It was the Seelow Heights Tiger VI (GMP 2.x) mission, but I got the same result on other missions too.

Stayed up late last night troubleshooting. Here's what I found...All the required mods, when extracted (using 7-zip) had the "double folder" error. I disassembled everything, reinstalled the base game, and then added the mods back in with the double folder eliminated. I also 4Gb patched the starter and shell execs in both the base game and in the STA 3.1 mod. I also deleted the default.engcfg file to eliminate the "select your language" pop-up.

Net result, I can get the game to start, but the select your language thing keeps poping up, and it is annoying. It also requires multiple attempts to start the game. It seems to be finding the default.engcfg file somewhere but a search of the folders is negative. Second, I got the Seelow Heights mission to load, but none of the game controls are working, i.e. keyboard and joystick. No response. I will trouble shoot that later today and see if I can resolve the problem. I might be something in the controls menu panel that I am not initializing correctly.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:05 pm

dwain7 wrote:It was the Seelow Heights Tiger VI (GMP 2.x) mission, but I got the same result on other missions too.
    If polygon is absent, then it is wrong installation. I need to have a look on the next file: ...Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942\JSGME.ini
    Upload it on this file resource: www.sendspace.com

I also deleted the default.engcfg file to eliminate the "select your language" pop-up, but the select your language thing keeps poping up, and it is annoying.  
    Then let's fix it manually.
    1. Open with Notepad (or Notepad++) the next file:
    ...Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942\root\default.engcfg
    2. Find entry:
    auto_start = 5.00;
    and change it on
    auto_start = 0;
    3. Save, close Notepad and start the game.

I got the Seelow Heights mission to load, but none of the game controls are working, i.e. keyboard and joystick.
    1. Create the new user profile

2. Re-assign any key, ie.:
    Miscellaneous -> Debug camera

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:51 am

Lockie, I have gotten everything to work, except....Still no keyboard response. Joystick, mouse...Fine. The default.engcfg is fixed too. Just cannot get the game to respond to the keyboard. I created a new profile, changed one of the miscellaneous settings, and same result. No keyboard response. Obviously the keyboard works, i.e. this note. Any ideas?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:34 am

dwain7 wrote:till no keyboard response.   Just cannot get the game to respond to the keyboard.  I created a new profile, changed one of the miscellaneous settings, and same result.  No keyboard response.
    That's interesting bug. I think it is conflict with a user settings. I still need to have a look on the file:
    ...Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942\JSGME.ini
    Also show me the content of the folder:
    ...Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942\data\k42\loc_rus\config

It should look like this:

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:02 am

OK, I uploaded the JSGME.ini and the config contents (screenshot) to the link you provided. I am not sure you will get them because the app asks for the recipient's e-mail, and I do not know your e-mail address. So, I am posting screen shots of the contents of both files here.

The config file is from the main Steel Fury folder, not the similar folder in STA 3.1.

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:05 am

Sorry, here is the config file.

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:09 am

Ignore the screenshot of the JSGME mods contents. That was a screenshot from a different version of SF.
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:53 am

I remember having that bug a while ago. Dwain when you tart your game go to the Option menu and go to the Game Setting icon( the one showing the silhouette of a tank).Inside you'll see the control keys for each position. If they are replaced by a ? sign instead of actual letters of numbers then you have the same bug. It comes from a defective interface file.

Open your game's directory go to ( for example one of mine):

G:\sf beta STA 2.0 Version 2\data\k42\loc_rus\levels\LEVELS\interf

Then change the ingmenu,interf  or menu file with a new one from a good working installation of SF.

Make sure that installation is of the same mod though...

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:37 am

Here's a screenshot of some of my key settings. Net, the file that is supposed to contain them is either missing or corrupt. The only potential replace I have comes from STA 1.2 Full. If I understand you correctly, that will not work in STA 3.1.

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:41 am

Suppose, u've corrupted file defs.engcfg
    I've deliberately corrupted it and started the game. What I've got - the same symbol "?" instead defined keys.

Here's my files from the folder "config". Place them via JSGME the last in line or directly copy to the folder "config", then create a new user profile. Delete all other profiles.
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/yfcs62

dwain7 wrote:OK, I uploaded the JSGME.ini and the config contents (screenshot) to the link you provided.  I am not sure you will get them because the app asks for the recipient's e-mail, and I do not know your e-mail address.  So, I am posting screen shots of the contents of both files here.
    Where are the links to d/l? There is no need to note e-mail of recipient.
    Check out PM.

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:12 pm

OK, we have lift off. All seems well now. Thank you very much for your assistance and patience.

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:15 pm

Well, I do have one more question...Blurry compass and icon is mission in progress mode. See this screenshot. Is there a fix for this?

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:08 pm

dwain7 wrote:OK, we have lift off.  All seems well now.  Thank you very much for your assistance and patience.
    Fine! Did "v09_keyboard_init" help to resolve the problem? If so, then I'll include it into the next update. Though, I don't know what did cause this issue?
    - corruption during d/l
    - win 10 itself (differ versions)
    - confusing with user' settings
    - improper installation order
    - whatever
    I've received JSGME.ini. Everything seems OK.

I do have one more question...Blurry compass and icon is mission in progress mode.  See this screenshot.  Is there a fix for this?
    Let's start the troubleshooting.
    1. Open with Notepad/++ the next file:
    ...Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942\data\k42\loc_rus\config\config.engcfg
    2. Find the entry:
    bloom=1;
    change on
    bloom=0;
    3. Save, close Notepad, start the game.

BTW
    Why the "Tiger" on the screenshot has a red spots? Did u change the camo?

Did u press F12 to make a screenshot or use key "PrtScr"?

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:13 pm

No, I did not change the camo.

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:31 pm

And unfortunately changing the bloom value did not work.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:03 pm

dwain7 wrote:No, I did not change the camo.
    That's interesting! Suppose, this is light effect, coz mission started at the early morning. I'll give it try at my PC.

dwain7 wrote:And unfortunately changing the bloom value did not work.
    I see u had the same issue with STA1.2.
    http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t827-icon-resolution-issue
    How did u resolve it?

Lightning62

Post by Lightning62 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi,
      I had same keyboard error week ago. STA1.2 full and 2.2 works without problems - these mods take over original keyboard settings correctly.
    Installing STA3.1. has cleaned all keyboard settings and now I  tried find best settings like in original game. Some settings (STA3.1) dont working like previously. If I pushed button "backspace" I got zoom only for pushing down time. When I pushed F8 I got map only for time I pushed button down etc. Same problem with "sight lightening" - button C.
    Now configuration file solved this problem for me. I copied all configuration files to MOD STA 3.1. data folder, not to original SF data folder. Now it works great without problems.
    I have Windows 7, not Windows 10.
    My install order is: SSM2.6/Polygons 1.0/STA3.1./ Nov and Dec 2016Updates/ v1.1 aspect 4-3STA.

But compass is like in your picture - blurred. In STA1.2 and 2.2 compass is normal. But in STA3.1 compass become blurred. I think original SF conf. file must be ok. Maybe problem is in STA 3.1 conf file ?

With regards
    Lightning62

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Lockie, it never resolved in STA 1.2, and it was across all missions (and also the various menu icons). Same is true with STA 3.1. It might be my version of the base game. It's the download from Amazon. Other than that, the graphics resolution has been fine across both versions.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:24 am

dwain7 wrote:Same is true with STA 3.1.  It might be my version of the base game.  It's the download from Amazon.  Other than that, the graphics resolution has been fine across both versions.
    I think this is because of the ATI driver videocard.
    For any case switch off "anti-aliasing" in the videocard settings, then play with parameters from config:
    //textures
    i_texman:texman()
    formats()
    {
    user, 0, 2;

menu, 0, 2;
    }

Change
    menu, 0, 2;
    on
    menu, -1, 2;
    menu, 1, 2;
    menu, 0, 0;
    try many combinations.

BTW
    There is one hack. Find in config file the entry:
    lod_dist0 = 25.000000;
    and change on
    lod_dist0 = 50.000000;
    Save. Then assign attribute "read only" on config file. Thus u'll protect any changes, which game wants to bring in config.
    lod_dist0 provides the first LOD (most detailed 3D model of the tank) in the game.

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:15 pm

Are these changes to be made in the config in the base game or in config in STA 3.1, or both?

Should a new player profile be created after making any of these changes?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:45 pm

dwain7 wrote:Are these changes to be made in the config in the base game or in config in STA 3.1, or both?
    Make it in the base game config and see how it does.
    Personally, I've placed attribute "readonly" on the base config and made a backup for any case.

U've good CPU, so 50meters would be OK for the 1 LOD. Someone make 200meters, but it's a lot. U hardly can see smth. more than 100meters.

Should a new player profile be created after making any of these changes?
    No need. I know will73 had a similar issue with a texture. He laso has ATI card. He put -1 in the texture block and it helped him get rid off the blurring.
    menu, -1, 2;

Also check Scale image to full panel size

http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/dvi.html

Are u sure u've resolution more than 1280x1024? According to the image u've ~800x600.

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:28 pm

Tried all the options you suggested, still no success. Left config with the menu set to -1,2 with the file in read only mode. Also set lod_dist0=50.000000.

Concerning the ATI Card, Catalyst does not have an outright "turn off" anti-aliasing switch, but does allow a "Use application settings" mode, which is what I have always had it set on. Filter is set to "Standard", and Anti-aliasing Method is set to "Mulitsampling". There are no "turn off" options on either of those settings.

My in game resolution is set to 1900x1200x60. I have noticed that if I go in to any other menu and change a setting, if I go back to the Display menu the selection reverts back to 800x600. I just reset it an apply the new setting.

Separate and not related, I seem to recall there is a "trick" that prevents gunsight cracking/damage, etc. I searched the forum, but could not find it. Am I imagining this?
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:37 am

The gunsight damage fix is already incorporated in STA for years now you don't need to install it.

Re the game not recognising your graphic card it's an old issue with SF. It used to be an Nvidia problem only. For example, on 2 of my laptops with Nvidia gpus the games indicates that I only have 128 mb of vram when in reality I have 1.5 gb on one and 2.0 gb with the other.I had ATI gpus the 5670 and the HD7750 and the game would recognise the 1g b of vram. But ever since I switched to an ATI RX 460 4gbs of vram on my desktop last October it also gives me the same message. It has to do with the new graphic architecture of the current generation of graphic cards which the game's engine does or cannot read the true vram capacity of the gpu installed and wrongly defaults the video settings to the minimum acceptable to play the game. That being said you can set your settings manually and save them in your config file and tick it " read only" thus avoiding accidental resets. You can use also the Radeon Settings panel for your own additional tweaks. There's nothing else anybody can do as this game is 9 years old and poorly optimized.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 am