Calendar Calendar

Changing/creating large unit formations

KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Changing/creating large unit formations

Post by KurtTank on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:08 am

Hi,

I have created some rather large combinations of units so that they generally follow my lead in the game. One unit has 3x Tiger II, 5x Panther G, and 6x Pz IV. The main problem I have is the Panthers are all on one side of my lead Tiger II, and the Pz IVs are all on the other side. The other two Tiger IIs are mixed around okay. As my huge wave of tanks approaches a defensive position, the Pz IVs are easily wiped out and there is imbalance in the assault wave.

Is there a way to change the interaction of units in large formations, or to create new formations of tanks?

Also, is there a way to get the tanks to stay in formation all through the battle? Some of the tanks rush forward too soon and are "sitting ducks".

kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Changing/creating large unit formations

Post by kapulA on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:52 pm

Best way imo would be to make smaller same-tank subgroups (1 group - 6 Pz IV, 2 group - 5 Pz V etc) and setting separate scripts, along with wait times at certain areas along the route of the attack (to create a leapfrog kind of advance, where one group waits after bounding a certain distance in front of the covering group, which then in turn does the same, covering an advance by the first group), so that for example the Tigers are in the lead, as the first group, followed by the Panthers and then the Pz IVs, which could also be further behind, on a flank for security duty, as they were often employed in the German doctrine in the later part of the war...
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:35 pm

kapulA wrote:Best way imo would be to make smaller same-tank subgroups (1 group - 6 Pz IV, 2 group - 5 Pz V etc) and setting separate scripts, along with wait times at certain areas along the route of the attack (to create a leapfrog kind of advance, where one group waits after bounding a certain distance in front of the covering group, which then in turn does the same, covering an advance by the first group), so that for example the Tigers are in the lead, as the first group, followed by the Panthers and then the Pz IVs, which could also be further behind, on a flank for security duty, as they were often employed in the German doctrine in the later part of the war...

That makes sense, thanks!

It is, however, tough to rely on scripts and wait time, because sometimes there are many tanks to shoot up prior to leapfrogging with a weaker unit. It would be cool to be able to change the formation to what you mentioned, eg., Tigers out front with 1-300m gap to Panthers, then 500m gap to Pz IV, all the tanks acting in sync to the lead tank, and then that they would stay in that structure through the assault. I believe the tank groups pretty much operated that way, right? It would be suicide for a Pz IV to advance ahead (like they do in the game) against IS-2s, SU-100s, etc.

kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:18 pm

True, but I doubt you could have them in the same formation AND spaced in multiple lines - maybe you could experiment with having the lighter tanks move forward after a certain amount of enemies in an area is destroyed (you set an area where the USSR heavies will defend from or approx where they'll start returning fire at the advancing Germans, and have it as the condition for the start of the lighter tanks' advance - when enemy superiority in the area is reduced by a margin, they move up).
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:06 pm

kapulA wrote:True, but I doubt you could have them in the same formation AND spaced in multiple lines - maybe you could experiment with having the lighter tanks move forward after a certain amount of enemies in an area is destroyed (you set an area where the USSR heavies will defend from or approx where they'll start returning fire at the advancing Germans, and have it as the condition for the start of the lighter tanks' advance - when enemy superiority in the area is reduced by a margin, they move up).

Unfortunately I've never figured out how to work with Triggers, one of the most important parts of creating scenarios! I had to have Frinik modify my mission Capture the Crossroads some time ago to even get the victory trigger. rabbit
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:22 pm

KurtTank wrote:Unfortunately I've never figured out how to work with Triggers
    It's not easy, but u've to see a virtual device, which has two positions. Let's say it it a lighter switch.
    1. Switch ON = 1
    2. Switch OFF = 0
    Trigger default position is always "0" (switch off) untill u force to setup it in "1" position. Usually, nobody do it.
    So, let's take a sample when victory trigger SWITCH ON("1") when there will be 2xSuperiority of the allies all over the polygon.
    It will be the next entry:
    Code:
    10_trigger_super, 0x20005, 2, contour_trig_super1, 2.500, 1.000;
    where
    10_trigger_super - trigger name
    0x20005 - superiority of the allies in the contour contour_trig_super1, trigger switch on only one time
    contour_trig_super1 - contour name
    2.500 - superiority 2.5 times
    1.000 - time, means one minute. 0.5 means half minute

KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:06 am

lockie wrote:
    KurtTank wrote:Unfortunately I've never figured out how to work with Triggers
    It's not easy, but u've to see a virtual device, which has two positions. Let's say it it a lighter switch.
    1. Switch ON = 1
    2. Switch OFF = 0
    Trigger default position is always "0" (switch off) untill u force to setup it in "1" position. Usually, nobody do it.
    So, let's take a sample when victory trigger SWITCH ON("1") when there will be 2xSuperiority of the allies all over the polygon.
    It will be the next entry:
    Code:
    10_trigger_super, 0x20005, 2, contour_trig_super1, 2.500, 1.000;
    where
    10_trigger_super - trigger name
    0x20005 - superiority of the allies in the contour contour_trig_super1, trigger switch on only one time
    contour_trig_super1 - contour name
    2.500 - superiority 2.5 times
    1.000 - time, means one minute. 0.5 means half minute

Unfortunately, all of this is Greek to me (unknown). I just don't know how they work, or how to set them up, or why. Sorry.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:34 am