Latest topics

» STA(Steel Tank Add-on) 3.2 (Steel Fury)
by lockie Yesterday at 1:42 pm

» The Sun Comes Up, the Sun Goes Down
by woofiedog Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:17 pm

» Variants of the "Sherman"
by mechanic Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:19 pm

» The Soviet Story
by Tanker Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:15 pm

» Легкий танк Т-50/Light tank T-50
by will73 Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:19 pm

» Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)
by lockie Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:57 am

» Lieutenant Z. Kolobanova "To Stand to the Death!" Battle of Voiskovitsy
by frinik Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 am

» Ukraine fights against enemy.
by lockie Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:17 pm

» Video from SF
by geoweb35 Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:00 pm

November 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Sherman Jumbo 75 mm

norrin

Sherman Jumbo 75 mm

Post by norrin on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:12 am

Hi all,

I made a M4 Sherman Jumbo model some time ago and I was wondering whether there was any interest from the community in my trying to get it in game - I may need some help.  Embarassed  I know there's a wide variety of Shermans already in game but I was thinking it would be nice to have least one US tank that had at least some chance of taking on one of the Big Cats in a shoot-out.

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Sherman Jumbo 75 mm

Post by lockie on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:35 am

Looks nice! How many polygons has 3D model and I see uv mapping is absent? SF has a limit - 3D model must not has more than 65 000 polygons for the 3 LOD's.
    At this moment SF has the next Shermans:
    - M4A3/76 (W/HVSS)
    - M4A2/75 (W)
    - M4A1/75 (W)
    - M4A1/76 (W)
    - M4A4 VC "Firefly" (mod.43/44)

We already have the mention abt. Sherman Jumbo: It is attack tank, somekind of JS-2 or Brummbär.

http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t7p120-new-updated-models
    http://www.americainwwii.com/articles/cobra-king-today/
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:27 am

Excellent addition to the STA line up of vehicles. :[*:
    norrin

Post by norrin on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:52 am

lockie wrote:How many polygons has 3D model and I see uv mapping is absent? SF has a limit - 3D model must not has more than 65 000 polygons for the 3 LOD's.

The picture is of the view lod which currently has 16,753 faces or 23,252 triangles. The model is UV mapped but I never finished texturing it, anyway while I was looking at it closely in blender today I noticed a couple of annoying mistakes so I've started fixing those and then will create a new UV. Do you need a normal/bump map for Steel Fury? If you do I can build one and add it to the model. I'll keep you updated.

norrin

Here's another picture that gives a better idea of where I'm at with the texturing.

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:12 pm

norrin wrote:
    The picture is of the view lod which currently has 16,753 faces or 23,252 triangles.
    In common case triangles counts as a polygons Surprised
    It does - u've a perfect model to implement it into SF!  salute

The model is UV mapped but I never finished texturing it
    I've a counter-proposal to u!
    Would u like to take STA Sherman' model as a base (with a texture), then improve/transform it into Jumbo? I'm talking, coz there are many "surprises" during porting, like "reset x-form" or properly installed dummies. U'll get experience and in case of TSF membership u'll be promoted!
    Moreover, I've idea to implement Jumbo a long time ago. I've already prepared polygon and scenario!
    History note:
    It is 9th March 1945. US 304th Tank Brigade under Lieutenant General George Patton rush to Berlin, but first American armor must to overcome the Nazi defence of the town Bastogne, which is the key to the Nazi heart of Thousand-Year Reich!
    Captain Abraham Baum has three Sherman Jumbo under his control. His tanks will take part in the common attack to break through the enemy defence and capture the town Bastogne

Do you need a normal/bump map for Steel Fury?
    bump map is not a problem for the good goalkeeper Smile
    But of course, I would be pleased for an example!
    norrin

Post by norrin on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:42 am

lockie wrote:I've a counter-proposal to u!
    Would u like to take STA Sherman' model as a base (with a texture), then improve/transform it into Jumbo? I'm talking, coz there are many "surprises" during porting, like "reset x-form" or properly installed dummies.

I'd be very happy to do this lockie and this would help me enormously as the only time I've ever tried to get a model into a graviteam engined game (i.e. the M60A1 RISE in Steel Armor) it ended in failure. I have to admit there are a number of other US and UK vehicles I'd like to add to STA but I don't want to get ahead of myself just yet.
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:17 am

History note:
    It is 9th March 1945. US 304th Tank Brigade under Lieutenant General George Patton rush to Berlin, but first American armor must to overcome the Nazi defence of the town Bastogne, which is the key to the Nazi heart of Thousand-Year Reich!
    Captain Abraham Baum has three Sherman Jumbo under his control. His tanks will take part in the common attack to break through the enemy defence and capture the town Bastogne.

Lockie you are mixing up facts. Abraham Baum was in charge of a small task force sent behind German lines to free Patton's son-in-law who was held prisoner at a Stalag in Germany not in Luxemburg where Bastogne is in Belgium. His expedition ended in disaster and his task force was annihilated.Patton was lucky not to be held accountable for this private, unauthorized venture.The siege of Bastogne in December 1944 was part of the battle of the Bulge( Ardennes Offensive).
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:12 pm

norrin wrote:
    I'd be very happy to do this lockie and this would help me enormously as the only time I've ever tried to get a model into a graviteam engined game
    Check out PM salute

frinik wrote:
    Lockie you are mixing up facts.
    Well, in a way may be a little bit Embarassed
    U know that all my missions based only on the true stories with a maximum authenticity!  cheers

BTW
    Mentioned story was described in "Signal" April 1945. I found a heap of these magazines on the roof of my grand-uncle pa from Argentina.
    In fact, there were two tries to free Patton's son-in-law. My story based exactly on the second one with a bit variations.
    Would u like to be involved into scenario writing? Together we may create a real mission! :B):
    norrin

Post by norrin on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:47 am

This link is a great source of info and pictures regarding the Jumbo: http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a3e2jumbo/m4a3e2.html
    M4A3E2 of the 745th Tank Battalion in Aachen Germany in October 1944
    norrin

Post by norrin on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:29 am

Thought I'd post some work in progress shots just to reassure you that I am still working on this project.

The first is just to show you where I'm at with the UV mapping - still a couple of bits and pieces left to to do before I can start texturing:

This second pic is just of the Jumbo using the 3Ds Max shader, this should give you a better idea of how the final model is going to look:

I'm sorry its taking so long but I keep getting distracted, first with the latest Steel Beasts update, then ArmA3 APEX, then I got crazy busy at my work and next week I go on holidays for a couple of weeks. On top of all of this is been a couple of years since I built anything in 3dsMax so I'm having to relearn all the short-cuts and tricks as I go - so its looking like it won't be until the end of October until its ready.

Anyway, here's a pic I took in game of SB Pro v 4.0 so you can see why I've been distracted.

norrin
    norrin

Post by norrin on Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:24 am

Finally some news re the Jumbo.

Here's some new pics of the model in 3DS Max.

plug_nickel

Post by plug_nickel on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:40 am

Nice done!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:18 pm

norrin wrote:Finally some news re the Jumbo.
    Good work! But u don't need to place white stars on the texture. There are marks in the game.
    norrin

Post by norrin on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:12 pm

lockie wrote:Good work! But u don't need to place white stars on the texture. There are marks in the game.

No worries lockie, they are on a separate layer in the texture so I can remove them very easily. Still a few details to add but I'll email you the updated model on Monday, I've hopefully fixed all of the errors that were in the previous version.
    Pointer

Post by Pointer on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:01 am

lockie wrote:
    norrin wrote:Finally some news re the Jumbo.
    Good work! But u don't need to place white stars on the texture. There are marks in the game.

Game-added markings are flat and look well on flat and almost flat surfaces only.
    In case of Jumbo, the front-side mark, the white star in the circle, is placed on a significantly bended surface.
    So, IMO, it should be a part of the main texture, as Norrin did.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:25 am

Pointer wrote:
    Game-added markings are flat and look well on flat and almost flat surfaces only.
    Yeap and markings are more flexible, coz u may change positions, image itself. If u place star on the texture u'll never change it(except direct texture editing) and this insignia will be presented on all tanks.

In case of Jumbo, the front-side mark, the white star in the circle, is placed on a significantly bended surface. So, IMO, it should be a part of the main texture, as Norrin did.
    That's no problem for the good goalkeeper Smile
    Let's place star on the texture Basketball
    Moreover, I'm not sure that a current US markings are historically correct. So, if u want to take part to place tank in the game and correct the markings, then be my guest Wink
    U can do it as official patch to the STA1.2, then implement it in STA2.x
    I may send u go file with a texture in psd format. What do u think?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:40 am