MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Campaign "Steel Beast" (Pz.V "Panther") WIP

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Campaign "Steel Beast" (Pz.V "Panther") WIP

Post by lockie on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:03 pm

Mission is ready for ~70% I was abt. to finish it, but there was one moment. According to the Nicolussi memories, there were two Panthers stuck in the swamp. I thought it is a good idea to implement such script.
    I've created three "stuck" zones. If any Panther will come into these areas - it will be stuck. It was a tricky script and finally I did it bounce
    BUT there were mounted infantry - desant on the tank and they should had jump out and moved to the destination point. So, I had to work out the new script for the desant rejoice Though, it will be only for the one Panther, coz some Panthers had desant to protect the stuck tank.
    As u can see there are three stuck zones. It is a very rare case "stuck Panther", but such ability will be presented in the mission and it'll effect the gameplay.

And finally, there will be three Panthers under user command. The left four ones will be in advancing group under AI control.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Here's a draft version of the mission briefing:

Initial situation:
    The spearhead of the German Kampfgruppe under command of SS-Gruppenfuhrer Gille was cut off by the enemy from our main forces and now it is in Kowel in encirclement. They badly need a fire support with our tanks to keep on the defencive position. There is a strongpoint hold on with a group of Hauptmann Strecker. The goal of the mission is a striking through the Soviet forces in Kowel town and halting them while a counteroffensive could be launched.

Combat order:
    There are two tank groups of the 5th SS Panzer Regiment, which take part in action:
    1. Advanced squad under command SS-Oberscharfuhrer Faas, which consist of four Panthers with a desant (ride infantry).
    2. Lead squad under command SS-Obersturmfuhrer Karl Nicolussi-Leck, which consist of four Panthers with a desant.
    The task is capturing a railroad station Czerkasy, then move to the Strecker's strongpoint to help our encircled forces to repel the enemy attack.
    It is 9:30 AM on 28 March. SS-Obersturmfuhrer Karl Nicolussi-Leck faced his regimental commander. "Hannes" Muhlenkamp, as he was known to his regiment, began to speak:
    "Nico, you will move off at 3:00 PM and advance with your entire company to Tupaly. There you will be subordinated to the 131st Infantry Division. How many battleworthy tanks do you have?"
    "Exactly 7 Panthers, Obersturmbannfuhrer. As well there are the recovery tanks and ten Mulis (armored tracked vehicles)".
    "Outstanding," replied Muhlenkamp sarcastically. "The 434th Grenadier Regiment will provide volunteer assault teams who will ride with you on the tanks. I myself will drive ahead to Tupaly with Standartenfiihrer Richter at 1:00 PM and scout the terrain. Dismissed".

Your Task:
    You are SS-Obersturmfuhrer Karl Nicolussi-Leck. There are three tanks Pz.V "Panther" ausf. A and desant (18 infantrymen mounted on the tanks) under your command.
    You have to:
    1. Together with Faas squad attack and capture the railroad station Czerkasy.
    2. Move to the Strecker's strongpoint.
    3. Repel the enemy tank attack.

Callsigns:
    Your group is WOLF
    Faas group is MOULTIER

Reconnaissance:
    According to the recce report there is a presence of four Soviet rifle divisions. The enemy has many AT guns, MG nests, trenches with infantry and tanks T-34. Almost all area is covered with a swamp.

Artillery Support: No

Air Support: No

The commander of the 5th SS Panzer Division "Wiking" Obersturmbannfuhrer Johannes-Rudolf Muhlenkamp.

There are some screens with a weather mode winter and autumn late.

Unfortunately, mission works a very unstable Sad Can't figure out why.
    mechanic

Post by mechanic on Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:21 pm

This mission will be exclusively for STA3.1?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:36 pm

mechanic wrote:This mission will be exclusively for STA3.1?
    Everything is possible in New-Jersey (c) Wink

I think, I've reached the limit of the game engine. The new mission is a very resourceful. It takes ~1.5Gb memory consumption, which leads to CTD on some PC with Win XP or Win7. I suppose, users with 8Gb memory on board will have a comfort with this mission. It is still under testing. For the beginning I've included mission into GMP4.x.

When I compile at least 5 missions with a Panther as a main hero, then I'll transfer it into the new Campaign.
    There are some new screenies:

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:56 am

I'd like to report that first mission of the Campaign "Steel Beast" is ready! Its still works unstable (there is a tiny chance of CTD at the end of the mission), BUT mostly u may finish the mission!
    Unstable work was caused by the engine limit. I've placed too many objects and trees on the original polygon:
    ~ 15500 trees/bushes
    ~ 2200 objects
    Now polygon has:
    ~ 6300 trees/bushes
    ~ 1700 objects

To get 100% stable mission I've to cut off approximately 900 objects additionally. But the polygon will become a very poor. Though, I'll try to optimize polygon a bit more. Now, let's test this mission first and we shell see Smile I'm going to make a port of this mission to STA2.2.
    So far, I've the best achievement of this mission - 10 enemy tanks!  bounce  dance viking

Installation is on the first page of this topic.
    It is available only for TSF members and beta-testers.

Last edited by lockie on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:33 am

I've idea to make the new mission on the same polygon. In short, the scenario is:
    Nicolussi'  kampfgruppe is near out of ammo. HQ of Wiking division sent another group consist of 3x APC's with ammo.
    It is evening, 3x Panthers must recapture a small village Wyzma and provide the cover to the arriving convoy with resupply. When user tank will meet the convoy he will get the shells.
    From the very beginning user has:
    - 1x APSC
    - 6x AP
    - 12x HE
    Depends on the balance he may meet up to 12x Sov. tanks.
    Badly need help from Monseigneur Frinik approval
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:35 pm

Monsignor Frinik reporting for duty Golden |Leaf Chief! Cool Please express your wishes and I will do my best to accomplish!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:18 pm

frinik wrote:Monsignor Frinik reporting for duty Golden |Leaf Chief! Cool   Please  express your wishes and I will do my best to accomplish!
    Excellent, My General! I've a very attentive task for u!
    We need a history note and briefing.
    What I'm thinking should be written.
    History note:
    It was 30th March, 1944 a second day when Kampfgruppe Nicolussi consist of seven panthers managed to breakthrough the Soviet encirclement and bring the hand of help to the Gille's garrison who fiercely fighting against the Soviet hordes. Nicolussi' Panthers were sent from one area of defence to other to prevent the strong enemy counter-attack. The ammo was near to the bottom and Nicolussi reported to Hauptmann Strecker about this problem.

Briefing:
    Initial situation:
    The Kampfgruppe of Obersturmfuhrer Nicolussi-Leck is near out of ammo.
    Hauptman Strecker sent a radio report to PD Wiking HQ Commanding: Need immediately help with ammo resupply! The appointment is a village Wyzma. Obersturmfuhrer Nicolussi-Leck and his panthers will meet there APCs with an ammunition and provide  a cover to the our defencive positions. The operation subject to be started on 30th March at 17:00.

Combat order:
    Kampfgruppe of Obersturmfuhrer Nicolussi-Leck attack towards Wyzma village, meet with support column and provide its protection.

Your Task:
    You are SS-Obersturmfuhrer Karl Nicolussi-Leck. There are three tanks Pz.V "Panther" ausf. A under your command.\n
    You have to:
    1. Attack and capture village Wyzma
    2. Move towards the station Czerkasy and meet re-supply column
    3. Provide its protection on the way back to the Strecker's strongpoint

Gruppenfuhrer Herbert Otto Gille, Commander of the Kowel garrison.

PS
    Thanks to Woofiedog for his idea abt. mission N2! cheers2
    frinik

Post by frinik on Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:57 pm

OK Boss I 'll get on it! Razz
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:21 pm

Let's start mission N2 "Outcome"!
    It is 2 April, 1944, 15:30. This time Nico must provide a cover for the column with ammunition. Three Panthers will attack near village and capture it, then clear the way for the supply column for the garrison.

I'm thinking to separate the first mission into three parts, coz now it is a VERY resourceful mission for CPU and PC memory. Of course, count fact that game has 10 years old Smile
    Let's say, there will be three parts:
    1. capture railroad station
    2. move to the Strecker's strongpoint
    3. repel the enemy attack
    Original mission could be moved to the "Single" mission pack or to the GMP4.x
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:58 pm

There are some new screenies from the new mission! bom

Last edited by lockie on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    yl9961027
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by yl9961027 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:00 pm

I played this mission several times. Nice work! I like it! But I have some suggestions. I think the station's defense is too weak. Because the flank is undefended. I can easily round to the flank, and then attack. The enemy did not even have the chance to fight back. I suggest putting the station into a ring defense.

Also, I found an annoying problem that the track could not be repaired. For this reason, I had to give up several missions. I'm sure I have checked the option of auto-repairing the track in the settings.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:26 pm

yl9961027 wrote:I played this mission several times. Nice work! I like it!
    dance  yeah  welldone

I think the station's defense is too weak. I suggest putting the station into a ring defense.
    It won't help Smile "Seven Panthers" is a very POWERFUL unit. I may remove one Panther depends on balance. Ie on the balance 7 minus one, 8 - two, 9 - three, 10 - four.
    Then it won't be easy capture the station. Also I've idea to separate this mission on three parts:
    1. capture station
    2. move to the strongpoint
    3. repel enemy attack
    Original mission I'll leave in GMP 4.x

Also, I found an annoying problem that the track could not be repaired. For this reason, I had to give up several missions. I'm sure I have checked the option of auto-repairing the track in the settings.
    Unfortunately, this feature is a very bugged, but works somehow. Uncheck autorepairing, then take a driver seat and press Ctr+[(left) or Ctr+](right)
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:01 pm

Mission N2 is ready! Now it has a working condition!
    Download.

I've to say - it is the most exciting mission so far in my experience alien  flag  viking
    I've played on the balance "5", allies exp. "4", enemy "2".
    I didn't think that I'd finish it with a damaged gun, completely out of MG(!) ammo and lost three crew members. Of course, I played with "highlighted marks" switched off. With this feature enabled the mission would become at ~50% easy.

When I first try to get over the mission I assigned to user a three Panthers with 18 Gebirgsjäger. But I failed, coz tried to make a frontal attack. Next time I had 4x Panthers. I had position in the forest and sent my wingman in attack from the flank. Unfortunately, the enemy gun, hit my front glacis and damaged the gun. I had to fight only with MG. Before I've lost the gun I had done the trick. I forced AI "Use MG" and all other shells were consumed only when I shoot from the gunner place, coz user has:
    - 6 AP
    - 1 APC
    - 14 HE
    That's why he must watch on to the shells quantity.
    Finally, my wingmen came to the village, then I started to join them and when I came to the village center my left track was damaged by AT rifle. I started to repair it.

I was abt. to finish it, when this time my right track was damaged and I had to fix it again. During this operation I've lost three crew members from the enemy fire. Soviet infantry still hold on to the positions and didn't want to retreat inspite of my multi-tries to kile them!
    Finally, I've sent my another wingman to the enemy concentrated fire point and forced Soviet to retreat. Meanwhile I've repaired my right track and moved forward to the "encounter point" .

When I cleared the area the convoy moved. Mission completed!

I've lost 1x Panther and all infantry. But my Kampfgruppe terminated:
    - 6x T-34
    - 3x ATG 45 mm
    - 1x AA 85mm gun
    - 4x MG-43
    - 4x Trucks
    - 1x infantry platoon
    I think it's a good result!  bounce

This is the most dangerous weapon of the Soviet side - AA 85mm gun.

One time this beast wiped out all my Panthers!

dukling

Post by dukling on Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:17 am

На STA2.2 місії з пантерою плануються чи ні?

pgargon

Post by pgargon on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:37 am

It is a beautifully made mission and challenging. In this case I handed the AI command. Unfortunately my driver is totally blind and takes the mortar positions as cover   facepalm  (see picture).
    The mission 02 is hard and also challenging at normal difficulty! For this test I put the Enemys on 0 and the Allies on 4. Also the Force Balance I put on 4. I wanted to find out whether the mission is too easy.
    I have 4x Panther an a Infantry Platoon, 6x AP, 1x APC and 14x HE Scared Okay, Gunner you shoot only with MG.  salute
    The enemy 3x T34 Tanks, 1x AA Gun 85mm, 2x AT Gun 45mm and Infantry with MG and AT Guns.

Despite these easy settings, the Russian shot the AA Gun 85 mm two of my Panther To 700 m (in other attempts she already destroyed all my tanks). The three T34 at this setting are not a real danger, but the sniper qualities of the AA Gun 85 mm very much (see pictures). The mission requires much tactical action from the player. At the AA Gun 85 mm should still be worked so that this is not a frustration factor. viking
    mechanic

Post by mechanic on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Waiting for the next missions with a Panther A!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 23, 2017 11:33 pm