» il2 Sturmovik Stalingrad
by lockie Yesterday at 3:51 pm

» SF STA1.2 demo version?
by woofiedog Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:30 pm

» Video from SF
by geoweb35 Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:24 am

» How to get STA3.2 mod?
by lockie Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:18 pm

» STA(Steel Tank Add-on) 3.2 (Steel Fury)
by lockie Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 pm

» The Sun Comes Up, the Sun Goes Down
by woofiedog Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:17 pm

November 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Windows 10

dwain7

Windows 10

Post by dwain7 on Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:44 pm

Just upgrade my operating system from win7 to win10. For insurance of function, I tried to run the 4gb patch again (starter.exe and shell.exe), but every time I try to start the patch application it just rolls over to the hard drive folder location the zip file is stored in. Has anyone else with win10 experienced this? Is the 4gb patch required for win 10? Otherwise, the game seems to run just fine.
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Re: Windows 10

Post by frinik on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:33 pm

I use the 4gb patch with windows 10 on SF without any issues. Not sure why it's doing that to you? Are you directing the patch to your .exe file?

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:22 am

It will not let me get that far. When I try to execute (open) the patch, it just rolls over to the folder where the zip file for the 4gb patch is located. Net, it will not open at all. Never mind trying to direct the patch to the STF execs. It has got to be a Win10 problem, I was just wondering if anybody else who upgraded to win10 had seen this.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:02 am

Ok did you install the patch in your C drive?

Because I didn't. Mine is in a separate drive. I always do that no matter what OS I use(d) Win 7, 8 , 8,1 and 10. If you have it installed in your C drive try installing it on a separate partition and try again.

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:23 am

I have the patch installed on an external hard drive (K). When I try to run it from there, it just opens my download folder my C drive. It acts as if it is trying to download itself (but not really) instead of executing. The exec just will not execute. Never had this problem in win7(64 bit).
    frinik

Post by frinik on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:09 pm

Ok 2 possibilities:

1) Install the patch on your pc and try to run it from there

2) try to run it form your ext hard drive using administrator's rights.

Interestingly enough I also carry one copy of that patch on my Toshiba external hard drive.But only to install the patch on another laptop or desktop.

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:06 pm

I have already done both options 1) and 2), after downloading a fresh copy of the patch (just in case my original copy was corrupted by the win10 update process). Same result.

The fact that others have upgraded to win10, with no net negative effect in either the game's performance or the performance of the patch tells me this is something unique to my win10 installation. Nothing stands out, i.e. the upgrade process (took time, but) processed normally as far as I could see.

Net, when the patch executable files is opened it asks whether I want to run the application (Yes/Close), and when I select "Yes" the screen just simply reverts back to the file location where the patch resides, either my internal hard drive if I am trying to run it from there, or my external hard drive if I try running it from there. It just will not execute. It is not a Universal Access Control (UAC) issue.

I suspect my next stop is windows support. In the meantime I am going to copy my starter.exe and my shell.exe (both patched prior to the win10 upgrade and apparently functionally normally) to my external hard drive as back-ups in case of future need with no patch execution capability.

If you have any other advice, please do provide it. Otherwise, thank you for your help and support.

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:22 pm

OMG!! I just realized the patch is automatically patching itself, I think. The backup file that is created is a backup of the patch executable file, not a backup of any other executable file that the patch is normally used to patch.

Strange behavior all around.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:15 am

Bets would be to download the 4 GB patch and just get rid of the old one as it seems to be corrupted.

I have 5 laptops and 1 desktop at home all were originally Windows 7 all were converted to Windows 8, 8.1 and since last year all have been converted to Windows 10. I have used my 4gb patch on all of them for various games for the last 3 years and I have never had any issue.Clearly it's your 4GB file which has some kind of corrupted file.

Try downloading a new version and try.

2 other possibilities:

1) your anti virus is guilty? What do you use?

2) Also have you checked Windows Defender to see if your 4 GB patch file is in the list a programs that are allowed?

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:22 am

Downloaded and reran the patch. Problem solved.

Thanks a bunch!!

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:56 am

How does Steel Fury work in Windows 10? Does it work better (faster) than in Windows 7? Or it is working with the same Frames Per Second (FPS) approximately?

Do you recommend upgrading to Windows 10 if your main gaming interest is Steel Fury?

Thanks for your help !

Txema
    frinik

Post by frinik on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:05 am

I already posted my impressions of Windows 10 a few months ago on the forum.I strongly recommended to people with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to upgrade while it's free regardless of whether it is for gaming or simply normal use. I don't regret it. Windows 10 boots faster than either 8.1 or 7. You don't have the periodical updates that 7 and 8.1 have instead you have 2 major updates a year.Windows 10 is the future of pc gaming might as well switch to it rather than wait and having top pay for it when Direct X12 and other graphic improvements .It's user friendly and frankly I have had no issues with it .All my games work with it although in a few cases I had to re-install Direct X10 or 11 which is easy.

I'd give Windows 7 and 8.1  8 mark and Windows 10 a 9 one. cheers
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:41 pm

I gave W10 Pro a try two months ago and was not that impressed. After running W10 Pro for a while I switched back to W7 Pro. Can say that Windows people at least gave some thought to the people that do not want W10 after trying it out, an easy to use program to go back to what you had before.

Maybe if there was a real advantage over W7 for me, then I would change over. But at this time period there is nothing that W10 has to offer that would have me changing my computer's operating system over to it.

W10 is sort of like my new vehicle that has OnStar & Bluetooth built in it and to me is totally useless. As I don't own a smart or cellphone and know how to read a map. While in heavy traffic last week, I accidentally turn OnStar on and it took me about 10 minutes to shut the frigging thing off, apparently the OnStar voice/operator did not recognize the language I was using at the time. LoL Laughing
    frinik

Post by frinik on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:41 pm

What you have to ask yourself Txema is: Am I going to upgrade my pc in the future or not?

If not then stick with Windows 7.IF you are thinking of upgrading the cpu and gpu then I recommend upgrading to Windows 10 while it's free. Anyway the upgrade is reversible. You can still go back to Windows 7 if you don't like Win 10. I have that option in all my laptops and desktop. Just back up your system and or create a system image.

dwain7

Post by dwain7 on Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:02 pm

I installed Win10 this last Sunday and it took until Thursday (yesterday) to get everything sorted out, especially with help from Frinik for Steel Fury. Steel Fury runs as well if not better than it did in Win7. Anyway, there are some things about Win10 you may need to know before you upgrade.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but I also run FS9, CFS3 (ETO, PTO Solomons, BoB, Firepower, and PTO Rising Sun), IL2 Sturmovic Cliffs of Dover and 1946. Older legacy software developed during WinXP days. These games did not integrate seemlessly with the Win10 upgrade, all requiring some tinkering to get them to function normally, which they all do now. The point being that if you choose to upgrade to Win10 and have some older games, you need to be prepared for hiccups.

For example: Any of your older games that require a cd or dvd in the cd/dvd drive in order to boot will not start. Win10 does not support disk validation. The fix is to install the appropriate "no-cd patch" to the game's starter .exe file and then it will start.

Win10 comes with Directx 12. Some older games require DirectPlay to boot and run. Directx 12 omits DirectPlay (Microsoft says it is redundent). Just download and install Directx 9.xc which contains the DirectPlay component. It will not replace Directx 12, it just adds to it. Activate DirectPlay in the Activate Windows Features dialog.

You may get error messages about config files being out of date. You will need to update the game's config file. The instructions for this are relatively easy to find on the internet.

Ultimately, in my opinion, the reason you should want to upgrade to Win10 is that at some future point Microsoft will stop supporting Win7 and 8. Sooner or later you are going to have to make the move, or move to Mac.

Lord Haw-Haw
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Lord Haw-Haw on Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:06 pm

dwain7 wrote:I installed Win10 this last Sunday....

Thanks for the info, especially the no-cd stuff.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:51 pm

I did not have problem playing my older games with Win 10.May be I was lucky? One preventive thing I did after upgrading to Win 10m and which I recommend was to re-install Direct X 9, 10 and 11 again \( use the 2010 version it's the most complete). Get it from Microsoft download page. When you change OS sometimes some vital dlls get left out because they are not contained in the new OS. This may cause some older games not to work or crash after start.

I agree with Dwain; Win 10 is the  future of computing and of gaming.  It's just a matter of time before Windows 7 ends up like Win XP.

Lord Haw-Haw
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Lord Haw-Haw on Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:02 pm

Going the PRO version ($99 us) so I can defer the updates...when win11 or what ever they'll call it, comes around it won't be an auto update -as every "other" Win OS has been not up to par!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:30 pm