» Best laptop for playing
by frinik Today at 1:05 am

» Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
by lockie Yesterday at 11:59 pm

» Woofie the Dog's Skin Shop
by woofiedog Yesterday at 9:25 pm

» Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)
by lockie Yesterday at 11:15 am

» All of the command keys are set to ???
by lockie Yesterday at 8:00 am

» Sta scranny 001:Error
by mechanic Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 pm

» Missing Keyboard Defaults
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:10 pm

» Any way to separate infantry from tanks?
by aleader Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:50 pm

» STA(Steel Tank Add-on) 3.2 (Steel Fury)
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 pm

December 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

A few Newb questions

trundle54

A few Newb questions

Post by trundle54 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:05 pm

Bought this game a few years ago, couldn't get across the anti-tank ditch in training mission #1 & forgot about it.
    Recently decided to try it again & to use the mods available.  
    Is it only me or was adding the STA mod the only way to cross that ditch?  My first ever try with STA & I crossed it  Uninstalled the STA mod then tried it again & got stuck again & again; re-installed the mod & immediately got across.  Shocked 

Have a bunch of questions, as after reading a lot of old posts I am a bit confused as to the state of play right now -

Can anyone tell me how the Steel Panzers Mod & STA compare, are they compatible or do I even need the Steel Panzers mod?

What's the story with the unofficial patch 0.1?  Is that the only/last patch & the devs never planned anything else?  

GMP 1 & 2 - are these included in GMP 3 or can I add all 3 & get more missions?

It is now an old game but it seems like it's a lot of fun once you can figure stuff out.  Thanks to everyone who has put time & effort into modding & making the game worth playing.  Smile
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: A few Newb questions

Post by lockie on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:09 pm

trundle54 wrote:
    Is it only me or was adding the STA mod the only way to cross that ditch?  My first ever try with STA & I crossed it  Uninstalled the STA mod then tried it again & got stuck again & again; re-installed the mod & immediately got across.  Shocked 
    STA has many fixes applied to the tanks, which were made before.  So, may be parameters of Matilda were changed also.

Can anyone tell me how the Steel Panzers Mod & STA compare, are they compatible or do I even need the Steel Panzers mod?
    These mods are not compatible. STA has more techniks and missions.

What's the story with the unofficial patch 0.1?
    Already included in STA.

GMP 1 & 2 - are these included in GMP 3 or can I add all 3 & get more missions?
    All GMP`s are independent packs and contains completely differ missions. All missions in the packs adjusted and worked only with STA mod. I'm planning to fill up GMP to 50 missions per each.

It is now an old game but it seems like it's a lot of fun once you can figure stuff out.  Thanks to everyone who has put time & effort into modding & making the game worth playing.  Smile
    U're welcome!  cheers

trundle54

Post by trundle54 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks for the detailed response, Lockie. Very Happy 
    Heres a pic of my current install mod order, I had the compass & unofficial patch in the game when I bought it.

I can take these out completely & just leave the STA stuff if I understand correctly.  
    I am gonna try it & see what happens as the game feels different once STA is installed.  
    You guys have made a lot of improvements I think  Cool  Cool 

Looks like I will have a LOT of missions to keep me busy!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:48 pm

trundle54 wrote:
    I can take these out completely & just leave the STA stuff if I understand correctly.
    Yeap. Unofficial patch and compass already included. Suppose, I need to place these questions in the FAQ.

Looks like I will have a LOT of missions to keep me busy!
    Shoot!  Cool 

trundle54

Post by trundle54 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Cool! I'll get the engines warmed up Very Happy 

trundle54

Post by trundle54 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:29 pm

This is how I have my install now.

I obviously don't know the game yet but I figured I'd try something from the GMPs.
    I tried Shahovo 2 & found the f8 map view didn't seem to move/zoom as much as I expected.  Other missions seem to be better - allowing me RMB scroll & wider zoom.  Bug or just me?

Can you tell me if the f8 screen should look this way?
    Only some icons light up & as a newbie I cannot remember which is which so I waste a lot of time hovering over almost black icons to read what they are

Any way to brighten them?  (via config.engcfg or something)
    I tried contrast etc but it only affects the game 3D mode as far as I can tell.

Thanks to all these Mods I am enjoying the atmosphere of the game now.   Cool

& OT

Didn't realize 4000+ M4s were used in the USSR.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:51 pm

trundle54 wrote:This is how I have my install now.
    Installation is correct. What does Steel_Sound_Mod_v1_1_fix_eng?

I tried Shahovo 2 & found the f8 map view didn't seem to move/zoom as much as I expected.  Other missions seem to be better - allowing me RMB scroll & wider zoom.  Bug or just me?
    It's hard to answer. Can u upload what u've already done? I suppose, u're making mission? If so, then start 0_create_new_missn.bat, select prepared mission, archive, save, upload somewhere and give a link. Then I'll have a look.

Can you tell me if the f8 screen should look this way?
    Yeap, it's standard view.

Only some icons light up & as a newbie I cannot remember which is which so I waste a lot of time hovering over almost black icons to read what they are
    Any way to brighten them?  (via config.engcfg or something)
    Some icons(plane, thunder) automatically light up, if u place in mission aircraft, artillery support. Some doesn't work for me at all, i.e. communication icons right down corner. All other depends on the user`s commands.

I tried contrast etc but it only affects the game 3D mode as far as I can tell.
    U may play with the next files:
    ...data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\interf
    - interf_sprites.engcfg
    - interf.engcfg
    - map_sprites.engcfg
    - markers.engcfg
    - editor_sprites.engcfg
    - ingmenu.engcfg
    - menu_sprites.engcfg
    - menu_anims.engcfg
    - menu_defs.engcfg

Thanks to all these Mods I am enjoying the atmosphere of the game now.   Cool
    cheers

trundle54

Post by trundle54 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks for the reply Lockie.  Smile
    I don't know much about Steel_Sound_Mod_v1_1_fix_eng I thought I needed it as I have SSM
    Code:
    4shared.com/zip/JWQ-4f0C/Steel_Sound_Mod_v1_1_fix__eng.html

Steel Sound Mod v1.1 - Fixed version (English)
    for "Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942".

#####################

1. New phrases for russian infantry;
    2. New sounds for the recharge of tank gun;
    3. New sound for the projectile armour hit;
    4. Replaced sounds for the weapons:
    -gun and machine gun of T-34;
    -gun and machine gun of Matilda;
    -gun and machine gun of Pz-IVF2;
    -german and russian rifles;
    -PPSh and ÌÐ-40 submachine guns;
    -pistols;
    -PaK 40 gun;
    -MG-34 machine gun;
    -KwK 37 tank gun;
    -KwK 30 tank gun;
    -20-K tank gun;
    -53-K anti tank gun;
    -61-K air defense gun;
    -76 mm divisional gun M1939 (USV);
    -M-30 howitzer;
    -leFH 18 howitzer;
    -76 mm regimental gun M1927;
    -RS-82 rockets;

But this file is only 5.x mb, so I assumed it patched something in SSM 1.0 which is MUCH larger @350+mb

Shahovo2 (shahovo2.level) is from GMP 1.1, I'm still learning & haven't tried the editors yet  Laughing

I will look at those menu cfg's & see if I can see anything that might brighten the screen in F8 view.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:06 pm

trundle54 wrote:
    I don't know much about Steel_Sound_Mod_v1_1_fix_eng I thought I needed it as I have SSM
    Code:
    4shared.com/zip/JWQ-4f0C/Steel_Sound_Mod_v1_1_fix__eng.html
    I think it was made by Frink. Then no worry to install it!

Shahovo2 (shahovo2.level) is from GMP 1.1, I'm still learning & haven't tried the editors yet  Laughing
    I think we've misunderstanding. I remeber mission "Shakhovo2". It was adjusted by me. The original variant was made by Stone2009. He kindly gave me permission to make another variant, where user must hold on Shakhovo and wait for reinforcement - instead to retreat.
    But I see u've smth. dif. screen?
    Here's from GMP1.1

I will look at those menu cfg's & see if I can see anything that might brighten the screen in F8 view.
    Hope it'll be useful for u.

trundle54

Post by trundle54 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Yes it is Shakhovo  Surprised  but the file name =  Shahovo !!
    \Steel Fury\MODS\STA_GMP_1.1\data\k42\loc_rus\levels\LEVELS\cm_pack_mission10\Shahovo2.level
    so I have misquoted the location. Rolling Eyes

That is the correct map you show, I find once I start the mission I lose the ability to zoom out as much as I should be able to.  I cannot pan the map properly either.  If I zoom in, then switch back via F8 to the game then F8 to the map, I cannot zoom back out to be able to see all  of Shakhovo.
    Maybe there is a conflict & I need to look again at the install.

If it working for you then it is something local Wink

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:55 am

With respect to "Steel_Sound_Mod_v1_1_fix_eng", please take into account that it was released in 2009 !!

It seems that it was developed for other older mods (already released in 2009), and not for Steel Tank Addon.

I think you should not install it now.

Txema

trundle54

Post by trundle54 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Txema wrote:With respect to "Steel_Sound_Mod_v1_1_fix_eng", please take into account that it was released in 2009 !!

It seems that it was developed for other older mods (already released in 2009), and not for Steel Tank Addon.

I think you should not install it now.

Txema

I also looked at the file times & saw it was quite old so I've uninstalled it.  
    Gradually I'm getting there with correct install.  
    Now all I have to do is learn how to play properly  Laughing

trundle54

Post by trundle54 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Looking at the menu* cfg's I see on/off states.  
    In ingmenu.engcfg I see under масштаб, цвет, включение, спрайты, прочие данные
    0xffffffff & 0xffd0d0d0 which, if the leading 0xff is trimmed, leaves html codes for white & gray.
    Doesn't match the цвет column though I think.  & is probably also the wrong 'menu'

What I'm looking for might be buried deeper in the code.  Or maybe I can edit the icons themselves & reinsert brightened ones?  [if I knew where the menu gfx were ...]

Maybe the devs could be asked how to fix it, but I guess they don't have time to spare on this old game. Sad
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:57 pm

trundle54 wrote:
    What I'm looking for might be buried deeper in the code.  Or maybe I can edit the icons themselves & reinsert brightened ones?  [if I knew where the menu gfx were ...]
    U may browse all files of the game. Start 0_arceditor.bat and unpack whatever archive u want to explore(...data\k42\loc_rus\cd). I'm sure there should be somewhere icons from menu interface, which u may change/adjust.

trundle54

Post by trundle54 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks for the tip - I will give it a look. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:42 am