Latest topics

» The Raging Bull
by woofiedog Today at 2:51 pm

» Errors 98% during mission download
by Kozak76 Today at 11:03 am

» Video from SF
by plug_nickel Yesterday at 12:06 pm

» Українська локалізація/Ukrainian local
by will73 Yesterday at 6:40 am

» black tanks
by eagle64 Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:32 am

» Video Achtung Panzer
by plug_nickel Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:45 pm

» 2.3 sta troubleshooting
by cftaurus Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:27 pm

» Ukraine fights against enemy.
by lockie Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:45 pm

» STA2.3 version
by mechanic Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:26 am

September 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 

Calendar Calendar


    Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Share
    avatar
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

    Posts : 374
    Join date : 2015-06-11
    Age : 57
    Location : Kalispell, Montana USA

    Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Post by KurtTank on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:03 am

    Been working on the dust and smoke effects, mostly using info from the Graviteam forum. Here is enhanced blue exhaust picture:



    How do I make the grass area create dust? Or the dry grass? Why only on the road is dust billowing, and in mid-summer and fall there was tons of dust from the tanks and apc's on the grassy plains of Europe?

    avatar
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

    Posts : 1382
    Join date : 2014-07-27
    Age : 61
    Location : Abu Dhabi-UAE

    Re: Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Post by frinik on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:24 am

    Careful with the dust  if you increase it too much it will dramatically slow your fps down. That's one of the reasons Graviteam kept it at reasonable levels.

    Nice exhaust smoke effects! Smile

    I guess the dust entries in the common res affect all areas of the map grass or soil. You have white dust which may be related to the shots and explosions and the brown one which is for the ground or soil.

    dust_wh,2,10,0.2,2.5,1,0.2,0.01,0.6,0.4,3,0,dust_sphere0,0x0000000a,sh_ablendd,0xff9A8E5F,0x009A8E5F,1,10;
    stones_wh,1,2,0.06,0.06,1,0,1,0.5,0,1,0,piece_sphere0,0x00000012,sh_ablend,0xff3E3825,0xff3E3825,0.1,0;
    dust_br,2,15,1.5,5,1,0.1,0.01,0.7,1,1,0,dust_sphere0,0x0000000a,sh_ablendd,0xff9A8E5F,0x009A8E5F,1,10;
    avatar
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

    Posts : 374
    Join date : 2015-06-11
    Age : 57
    Location : Kalispell, Montana USA

    Re: Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Post by KurtTank on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:50 pm

    frinik wrote:Careful with the dust  if you increase it too much it will dramatically slow your fps down. That's one of the reasons Graviteam kept it at reasonable levels.
    Understood, I'll work with it. Is there any way to have it more directed out of the pipes?


    frinik wrote:Nice exhaust smoke effects! Smile

    I guess the dust entries in the common res affect all areas of the map grass or soil. You have white dust which may be related to the shots and explosions and the brown one which is for the ground or soil.

    dust_wh,2,10,0.2,2.5,1,0.2,0.01,0.6,0.4,3,0,dust_sphere0,0x0000000a,sh_ablendd,0xff9A8E5F,0x009A8E5F,1,10;
    stones_wh,1,2,0.06,0.06,1,0,1,0.5,0,1,0,piece_sphere0,0x00000012,sh_ablend,0xff3E3825,0xff3E3825,0.1,0;
    dust_br,2,15,1.5,5,1,0.1,0.01,0.7,1,1,0,dust_sphere0,0x0000000a,sh_ablendd,0xff9A8E5F,0x009A8E5F,1,10;

    Thanks, I basically took your tweaks and applied them to the blue smoke. I'll switch back and forth with black smoke to compare, easy process.

    I wasn't sure if road dust and grass dust are the same. Most of the eastern front pictures I looked at yesterday showed snow or muddy conditions, or very little dust on grassy areas. Maybe I can apply it to a certain weather mod like scorching summer?

    Another question. I applied Whukid's Late War skins (1944-1945) and see a problem with the skin for the Tiger II. I know you worked with the mod, so was wondering if it was ever changed?




    And finally, I could change the color of the grass, right? Probably in common_res?
    avatar
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

    Posts : 1382
    Join date : 2014-07-27
    Age : 61
    Location : Abu Dhabi-UAE

    Re: Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Post by frinik on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:43 pm

    Wow you seem to be having  a texture problem.No the mod has nto been changed since the Whukid released it in June 2012.I sue it I have , in general , no issues. Only the Late Tiger camo sometimes on some installations becomes invisble.That is you see the crew inside the tank like they are hanging in the air.

    Try withdrawing Whukid's camo and putting it back to see if it solves your problem. Unless your download is corrupted? What seems to have happened is that 2 different camos merged or fused together.

    As for the colour of the grass my guess would be the texture files.

    E:\Steel Fury -STA 2.0 Version 2\data\k42\loc_rus\textures\flora\grasses

    No not the common res. I checked the obj.encfg but only reference is a line h_to_green.Not sure what it means but I don't think you can use this to modify the colour. You would need to open or unpack a texture file for the flora .dds file to change the colour I guess,..
    avatar
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

    Posts : 374
    Join date : 2015-06-11
    Age : 57
    Location : Kalispell, Montana USA

    Re: Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Post by KurtTank on Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:56 am

    frinik wrote:Wow you seem to be having  a texture problem.No the mod has nto been changed since the Whukid released it in June 2012.I sue it I have , in general , no issues. Only the Late Tiger camo sometimes on some installations becomes invisble.That is you see the crew inside the tank like they are hanging in the air.

    Try withdrawing Whukid's camo and putting it back to see if it solves your problem. Unless your download is corrupted? What seems to have happened is that 2 different camos merged or fused together.

    Agreed. I copied and pasted the file for all three types of Tiger II's. I'll work on it.

    Recently I made a new Jagdtiger with Whukid's mod texture, and it came out great:



    frinik wrote:As for the colour of the grass my guess would be the texture files.

    E:\Steel Fury -STA 2.0 Version 2\data\k42\loc_rus\textures\flora\grasses

    No not the common res. I checked the obj.encfg but only reference is a line h_to_green.Not sure what it means but I don't think you can use this to modify the colour. You would need to open or unpack a texture file for the flora .dds file to change the colour I guess,..

    Okay, I'll check it out.

    I still think the open field with out grass should be very dusty. It just doesn't look right in the pics. And after viewing the best video yet of the Jagdtiger post-war, I will tone down the smoke effects some:


    It's just too much, and maybe the wrong color?
    avatar
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

    Posts : 1382
    Join date : 2014-07-27
    Age : 61
    Location : Abu Dhabi-UAE

    Re: Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Post by frinik on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:13 am

    No, not at alll1It is stunning .Please make it available. It would look nice as well on a Tiger or Panther. Nice job! Smile

    RE the dust my advice is try and test .Increase the dust and then try it with just 3 tanks in a test mission and see how the fps will plummet.
    avatar
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

    Posts : 374
    Join date : 2015-06-11
    Age : 57
    Location : Kalispell, Montana USA

    Re: Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Post by KurtTank on Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:30 pm

    frinik wrote:No, not at alll1It  is stunning .Please make it available. It would look nice as well on a Tiger or Panther. Nice job! Smile

    Thanks, I pretty much copied your smoke tweaks! I still think it's too much. Here is the video you may have seen of various shots of the Jagdtiger post-war.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF01A8yBlM4


    Notice how even at full throttle there is not nearly so much smoke. The T-34 really spewed out smoke when at full speed. I'll find a happy medium.

    frinik wrote:RE the dust my advice is try and test . Increase the dust and then try it with just 3 tanks in a test mission and see how the fps will plummet.

    I'll work with it, but on the roads the dust is almost perfect:

    avatar
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

    Posts : 1382
    Join date : 2014-07-27
    Age : 61
    Location : Abu Dhabi-UAE

    Re: Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Post by frinik on Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:26 pm

    Sorry I was talking about your camo that you should make available and your were talking about smoke... Very Happy
    avatar
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

    Posts : 374
    Join date : 2015-06-11
    Age : 57
    Location : Kalispell, Montana USA

    Re: Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Post by KurtTank on Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:40 am



    frinik wrote:Sorry I was talking about your camo that you should make available and your were talking about smoke... Very Happy
    Oh! Actually I think this chamo is from Whukid's Late War Skins mod. Its nice, but after making a new Jagdtiger (jagdtigerd in my jagdtiger tech_config file) with this skin, I can't get the gunner sight to work, it goes sideways, but not up and down.


    Some new pics for you:




    How many Jagdtigers hiding in the tree line? sunny

    avatar
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

    Posts : 1382
    Join date : 2014-07-27
    Age : 61
    Location : Abu Dhabi-UAE

    Re: Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Post by frinik on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:22 am

    Let me get a dozen JS-2 and I'll answer your question Wink
    avatar
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

    Posts : 374
    Join date : 2015-06-11
    Age : 57
    Location : Kalispell, Montana USA

    Re: Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Post by KurtTank on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:49 pm



    frinik wrote:Let me get a dozen JS-2 and I'll answer your question Wink
    cheers



    Sponsored content

    Re: Changing dust and engine exhaust effects

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:47 pm