MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Changing Engine Sound Pz IV

KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Changing Engine Sound Pz IV

Post by KurtTank on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:50 pm

I have been able to change many sounds in the past through information on the forum, however, I am having trouble with the Pz IV sounding like a lawnmower! I do not have a duplicate/conflicting file or folder that I can see, so is it something else?? affraid

I have checked my own sound mod, deactivated it, switched to using SSM 2.3, added a few new sounds to My Modifications (activated last), and even changed the Pz IV engine sound in SSM 2.3, but I'm not getting the changes in the sound, only changes in other things I changed, such as number of shells, armor, etc. Here are screenshots of various folders and files:

frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Re: Changing Engine Sound Pz IV

Post by frinik on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:38 pm

First thing the sound called diesel_pz4 does not strike me as a very strong sound for a Tiger engine? Have you listened to the sound to see how it is isolated not in game? By that I mean just playing the sound with Windows Player . You may discover that your sound is puny and does indeed sound like a lawnmower.

2)check the your STA 1.0 and your feb and july 2015 update to see if they don't contain sound folders which could interfere with your own sound mod. Often the update contains some limited sound sfolder with new sounds added.

3) See if you find a better sound for the tiger engine than the one you have if none of the above is causing a problem.
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:22 am

frinik wrote:First thing the sound called diesel_pz4 does not strike me as a very strong sound for a Tiger engine? Have you listened to the sound to see how it is isolated not in game? By that I mean just playing the sound with Windows Player . You may discover that your sound is puny and does indeed sound like a lawnmower.
    It's for Pz IV, not Pz VI Tiger. The sound I chose is very beefy, not even close to the sound I have been getting in the ME and game.

frinik wrote:2)check the your STA 1.0 and your feb and july 2015 update to see if they don't contain sound folders which could interfere with your own sound mod. Often the update contains some limited sound sfolder with new sounds added.
    I checked them and added my new sound file which has a unique name.....diesel_pz4. It is my understanding that each new Mod activated overwrites or adds files to the previous Mod activated. So, in loading a new sound (much more beefy) via my own Sound Mod, and also in My Modifications Mod, it should be the last loaded, and it shows up in the game root sounds/engines file.....so, it should be playing in the game.

frinik wrote:3) See if you find a better sound for the tiger engine than the one you have if none of the above is causing a problem.
    I have checked the sound via WMP, and the new Pz IV sound I chose and put in my Sound Mod and tech_cfg file is good, not puny even for the Pz IV. I added the sound file to SSM 2.3 Mod and all of the updates and STA 1.0 and reactivated them......still the same puny sound. Is there another file I should be editing? And I believe I added a .wav file, but all of the files are .wav files, so that shouldn't be the issue. Hmmm. Suspect

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:12 am

Hi Kurt,

Just a little comment: why aren't you installing STA 1.0 as indicated here:

http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t6-steel-tank-add-on-steel-fury

It seems that your install is outdated...

And you have to take into account that there are different Panzer IV tanks in STA, with different config files (or blocks within a file). Are you sure that you are modifying the config file (or block) corresponding to the Panzer IV tank that you are actually testing?

Txema

Last edited by Txema on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:19 am

Txema wrote:Hi Kurt,

Just a little comment: why aren't you installing STA 1.0 as indicated here:

http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t6-steel-tank-add-on-steel-fury

It seems that your install is outdated...

Txema
    It still should work, if everything is consistent. cheers

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:20 am

Kurt,

Please read again my post. I have edited it!
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:23 am

Txema wrote:Kurt,

Please read again my post. I have edited it!
    I always modify every model of tank in the tech_cfg file. Maybe there is another file that controls the tank engine sound???
    frinik

Post by frinik on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:45 am

I don't have that problem Kurt because I don't use a sound mod. What I do instead is put all my sound files in the Sound folder of my game main data folder . Nowhere else! And I have no issues, no conflict whatsoever.

Try that

Disenable SSM 2.2 or which ever version you are using. Take the sound files and put them in the sounds folder of your game main data folder. Your Tiger sound should work.
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:14 pm

frinik wrote:I don't have that problem Kurt because I don't use a sound mod. What I do instead is put all my sound files in the Sound folder of my game main data folder . Nowhere else! And I have no issues, no conflict whatsoever.

Try that
    Sounds good to me. I always wondered why the mod was separate.

frinik wrote:Disenable SSM 2.2 or which ever version you are using. Take the sound files and put them in the sounds folder of your game main data folder. Your Tiger sound should work.
    I'll try that. Again, the sound files not working are Pz IV, not the Tiger.

Interesting turn of events: Last night and this morning I loaded Pz IV as a single tank in my Unit Tester, then kept reloading the mission over and over. The sound for the tank kept changing back and forth from the puny sound to the new better sound I put in every engine folder of every sound folder of the game, including all the mods. I checked the Pz III and it was the same issue. Then I check a single Tiger II and the sound was fine, then it sounded like a click of mg loading sound was suddenly added to the initial opening of the mission engine sound. Very strange. Maybe I have a corrupted game?????? Or at least sound files??????
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:33 am

I know which sound you must be using that sounds like a lawn mower. I have a panzer 4 engine sound I found which makes a sort of buzzing sound. You must have one similar Very Happy
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:43 am

frinik wrote:I know which sound you must be using that sounds like a lawn mower. I have a panzer 4 engine sound I found which makes a sort of buzzing sound. You must have one similar Very Happy
    Yah, It's strange indeed. I can't even find the sound I hear in any of the files!

For a solution I have taken out all of the sounds from all the mods and game and am compiling them into a Master Sound Mod, just to eliminate any duplicates, then I will try activating SSM 2.3 to see if that solves it. Otherwise I may take your advice and put the sound files into the game manually. Hopefully that will work! bom
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:02 am

If u want to see original engine sound instead buzzing/lawnmower u've to change the next entries:
    //base frequency of the engine sound, Hz
    snde_base_freq = 34000;
    //scale coeff. of the frequency engine
    snde_base_freq_k= 4.0;
    on
    snde_base_freq = 44100;
    snde_base_freq_k= 1.0;
    Current setting does that engine changing his frequency depends on the obstacles (uphill/downhill). If u make a change on 44100/1.0 then effect of engine sound will not be so obvious. I mean, there won't be diff. in sound engine during uphill/downhill, gear up/down.
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:30 pm

lockie wrote:If u want to see original engine sound instead buzzing/lawnmower u've to change the next entries:
    snde_base_freq = 34000;
    snde_base_freq_k= 4.0;
    on
    snde_base_freq = 44100;
    snde_base_freq_k= 1.0;
    Current setting does that engine changing his frequency depends on the obstacles (uphill/downhill). If u make a change on 44100/1.0 then effect of engine sound will not be so obvious. I mean, there won't be diff. in sound engine during uphill/downhill, gear up/down.
    Thanks, that should help. I also combined all the sound files and am making a master file for myself, so I should be better able to isolate issues I have when I change sounds.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:27 pm