Calendar Calendar

Britpak-Steel Fury

33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Britpak-Steel Fury

Post by 33lima on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:37 pm

Thanks - seems to be fixed now!

I'll stick with the realistic orders and plans - as I said before, my philosophy is that these elements are as important as realistic vehicles and weapons, and they will be a feature of missions I make. However, I have placed the 'magical holographic markers' and the F8/on-screen mini-orders, for anyone who can't be bothered with orders and plans. And now, they are actually working - thanks for the help!

Last edited by 33lima on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:31 pm

OK, I'm done, all is now working as intended and I'll upload a replacement version soon. With all this debugging of minor details, I've had no time for the voice recordings so that will have to wait.

The one thing that is buggimg me is that the player's 4 tank unit lines up nicely along its 4-point open contour when the mission loads in the ME. And the contour's 4 points all point to the front of the line. But as soon as the mission actually starts - in both the game, and in the ME play facility - two of my four tanks spin around and drive off to my left rear - more than once, one of them has got stuck in a big hedge behind us. Me and the other tank are fine, and sit where we were placed in the ME, on the contour.

I have tried giving the player unit a script to wait, set a formation, set no formation and tried no script for them at all. Also adding extra points to the contour and moving it a little. No joy. Two tanks always go wandering off. The only solution seems to be to step in, for example ordering 'Do as I do' and driving your own tank forward a little and stopping, which causes the two lost souls to stop, turn around and start to make their way back.

The AI-led units adjust their place in the formation once their scripts start them moving, so there is a little bit of juggling for position, but there is none of this erratic behavior right at the start.

I have seen this sort of thing before, I think, perhaps a 4-tank unit just makes it more visible.

No big deal, I'm pleased enough with the result. It's good to see the Squadron and attached motor rifle boys, all properly formed up, waiting for the 'off', then seeing the two leading Sherman Troops lead off as the artillery prep noisily hits the first hedgerow not far ahead. SHQ soon follow then I'm waiting for the half-tracks to start rolling, ready to order 'Driver, advance!'

33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:35 pm

New version of STA-Britpak Phase 1 is here, now includes the readme:

http://www.4shared.com/rar/q10XEfC9ce/STA-Britpak_Phase_1.html

As before, the voicepack is NYA, but the mission is now final...probably. Changes since the previous version include:

-1 Troop's second move is now working reliably;
    -the mission is now cycling correctly through all the player's objectives (F8 map & 3d world) and waypoints (3d world)
    - more believable behaviour from the enemy soft-skins.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:57 am

33lima wrote:as soon as the mission actually starts - in both the game, and in the ME play facility - two of my four tanks spin around and drive off to my left rear
    Try to change units order:
    //M4A1_75 groups GBR
    gbr_m4a1,500,1,gbru_m4a1,1,gbr_crew_m4a1,1,,,,,,;
    gbr_crew_m4a1,250,0,gbru_tleuten_d,1,gbru_driver_d,1,gbru_tankman_d,3,,,,;
    gbr_platoon_mtank09b,0,1,gbr_mtank09,2,,,,,,,,;
    gbr_platoon_mtank09c,0,1,gbr_mtank09,3,,,,,,,,;
    gbr_platoon_mtank091c,0,1,gbr_mtank09,4,,,,,,,,;
    gbr_platoon_mtank09d,0,1,gbr_mtank09,3,gbr_platoon_inf1,1,,,,,,;
    on
    gbr_platoon_mtank091c,0,1,gbr_mtank09,1,gbr_platoon_mtank09c,1,,,,,,;
    or
    gbr_platoon_mtank091c,0,1,gbr_mtank09,1,gbr_mtank09,1,gbr_mtank09,1,gbr_mtank09,1,,;
    or
    gbr_platoon_mtank091c,0,1,gbr_platoon_mtank09b,1,gbr_platoon_mtank09b,1,,,,,,;
    or
    gbr_platoon_mtank091c,0,1,gbr_platoon_mtank09c,1,gbr_mtank09,1,,,,,,;
    One of the combination should bring more better controlling.

Retrofly

Post by Retrofly on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:09 pm

Sorry fi this has been answered, but a couple of questions:

Will this work with STA 1.0?

When you say the mod needs to be installed "on top of STA" do you mean above STA in the list of mods in JSGME?

Being a Brit I'm super happy to see more Brit content. Thanks.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:20 pm

lockie wrote:
    33lima wrote:as soon as the mission actually starts - in both the game, and in the ME play facility - two of my four tanks spin around and drive off to my left rear
    Try to change units order:
    //M4A1_75 groups GBR
    gbr_m4a1,500,1,gbru_m4a1,1,gbr_crew_m4a1,1,,,,,,;
    gbr_crew_m4a1,250,0,gbru_tleuten_d,1,gbru_driver_d,1,gbru_tankman_d,3,,,,;
    gbr_platoon_mtank09b,0,1,gbr_mtank09,2,,,,,,,,;
    gbr_platoon_mtank09c,0,1,gbr_mtank09,3,,,,,,,,;
    gbr_platoon_mtank091c,0,1,gbr_mtank09,4,,,,,,,,;
    gbr_platoon_mtank09d,0,1,gbr_mtank09,3,gbr_platoon_inf1,1,,,,,,;
    on
    gbr_platoon_mtank091c,0,1,gbr_mtank09,1,gbr_platoon_mtank09c,1,,,,,,;
    or
    gbr_platoon_mtank091c,0,1,gbr_mtank09,1,gbr_mtank09,1,gbr_mtank09,1,gbr_mtank09,1,,;
    or
    gbr_platoon_mtank091c,0,1,gbr_platoon_mtank09b,1,gbr_platoon_mtank09b,1,,,,,,;
    or
    gbr_platoon_mtank091c,0,1,gbr_platoon_mtank09c,1,gbr_mtank09,1,,,,,,;
    One of the combination should bring more better controlling.

Gosh, lockie, that is the last thing I would have thought of trying! Your knowledge of the 'gubbins' of SF is 'something else'!

Thanks for your interest, Retrofly  -a man after my own heart! I intend to find out soon if STA-Britpak will work in STA 1 soon, and will report back. They may not have 3d interiors - few SF models do, and anyway they are not essential - but the new British/US AFVs and vehicles are some of the best released for Steel Fury - the early model Shermans IIs in this mission have animated direct vision flaps for driver and co-driver, as well as the opening hatches, and the general level of detail is superb. A Churchill VI, an M10 Volverine and an armoured car of sone description, to the same standard, I hope we will see one day.

If assets it needs are not there (tanks, map, other bits 7 bobs - I think there was an update to a barn in 2.0 that 1 may not have, IIRC) then maybe I can use alternative assets for an STA 1 version  - standardising on one type of 75mm Sherman would not be a bad thing, as I should not really be mixing M4A1, M4A2 and M4A4 ([Firefly] in the same unit anyway, but wanted the player and SHQ in cast-hulled Sherman IIs for easy in-game recognition. Or the missing mission assets could be packaged with the mod, if I can work out what they are and the team is ok with that.

Install order is in the readme, now in the docs folder of the latest version, contents cut & pasted in an earlier post. Install (=enabling in JSGME) order is mentioned there is:

1. SSM2
    2. STA2.0
    3. GMPs
    4. u4_DecUpdate_2015 (or later)
    5. Britpack_Phase1.

Will find out if it'll work with STA 1, sometime over the next few days.

EDIT, 2 Feb - just confirmed this does NOT work with SSM2.2+STA1+GMPs+SepUpd. However, the packaged download version from 4Shared definitely DOES work with the target environment, SSM2.2+STA2.0+GMPs_u4DecUpd or later. I need to get on with the voicepak rather than mess about with a backward-compatible version so if anyone wants to use Britpak, the drill is pm Lockie for access to the beta STA 2.0 & the latest updates.

After that, it's time to see if I can manage to make any progress with the Mission Editor in map editor mode, which is a whole new learning curve for me. But vital, if Britpak is to get the additional missions it needs.

Last edited by 33lima on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:12 pm

33lima been following your work on this project and will be looking forward to seeing the final product.

This is a tremendous and important addition to the game, keep up the great work! cheers

33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:52 pm

Thanks for the support Woofie, it's a great incentive!
    Pointer

Post by Pointer on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:11 am

lockie wrote:2. I've looked over units engcfg files and spotted that u commented the next entries, i.e. for Cromvell:
    Code:
     //s_mark_flag_01,    gbr_flaga, 1.0, 0, 0.015;
     //s_mark_flag_02,    gbr_flaga, 1.0, 0, 0.015;
    What for? It is just a chunk/dummy, which is responsible only for the place where insignia attach to. If u don't want to use it, then u've to create a new insignia (file markers.engcfg) or just don't use the default markers or add the new chunks for the new places->new insignias. There is no need to remove them, because it'll remove all markers for the current units, i.e. presented for desert missions like Capture the "Tiger", April 1943 (Mk.IV "Churchill")

Lockie, you would be wright, if they were located in mslots() section.
    But they are in marks(), so 33lima had no other solution then disable them.

Retrofly

Post by Retrofly on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:19 am

Hi, I can't seem to find the mission - 23rd Hussars, Normandy 194 in the list.

britpack Phase1 has been installed using JSGME but I can seem to find it, im running the winter 2.0 mod is that compatible? Thanks.

dukling

Post by dukling on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:42 am

Look for it in the custom missions.

Retrofly

Post by Retrofly on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:46 pm

Strange, I don't have that in my list. The last one in mine is Fury.

I'll remove and re-ad the Brit pack mod.

Thanks
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Retrofly wrote:Strange, I don't have that in my list. The last one in mine is Fury.
    That's a feature of the SF game engine Smile
    "Users missions" won't appear until u'll create them.
    All u need is:
    1. double click:
    Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942\0_create_new_missn.bat
    2. Select any polygon with pop-up window, i.e. M01_Taranovka

3. Press "Create", then type the name mission, i.e. "my_mission_one"
    4. Press OK.
    That's all.

Added to FAQ.

Retrofly

Post by Retrofly on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:53 pm

So I won't need to re-add the missions manually? They should just appear in the user made mission group automatically?

Or do I have to dig the mission files out of the pack?

Thanks again.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:10 pm

Retrofly wrote:So I won't need to re-add the missions manually?
    U've to follow instructions how to make user mission available. After this, u'll be able to create any new user' missions.
    When u'll install "Brit pack", u'll see mission in the "User's" tab.
    Remember, after "Brit pack" installation all user' missions will be overwritten.

I've to note that "Brit pack" has a status WIP and it's not compatible with STA2.0, but it should work somehow. In case, u want to play any other missions, u must switch off(through JSGME) "Brit pack".

I think, that would be good idea to separate missions "Brit pack" from "Users missions" and create a new tab, ie "British forces"(with a new icon M3"Grant") or whatever.
    But author is 33lima, so it's up to him Basketball
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:52 pm

Depending on how things go, the Britpak missions when available should be in campaigns, listed separately as such in the 'Campaigns and missions' screen eg a campaign 'Armoured Guardsmen' for a set of missions based on that book.

Being just a single, user-made mission in the meantime, the 23rd Hussars mission files are in the missions folders called cm_users (there are two of these, different files in each). It would probably have been better made so as to be somewhere else, maybe single missions, but for now it's in users missions and should work without over-writing the listing of any pre-existing users missions, if you follow the readme.

When Britpak is enabled, the mission files should be automatically copied into the same folders in your SF install folder. No need to copy anything manually.

When you next open the 'Campaigns and missions' screen in SF, you should see an entry at or towards the bottom of the list of campaigns/mission sets in the right centre panel (in Lockie's screenshot, this is the list that starts with 'The Soviet Armor' and ends with a long word in Cryllic characters), That entry should read 'Users missions' (if you previously had any user-made missions that entry would already be there, but if not, enabling Britpak should create it).

Click 'Users missions', and you should see the 23rd Hussars mission, listed in the left-hand panel.

So yes, after enabling Britpak on top of SSM2.2, STA2.0 and the December update, the 'Users missions' mission group should appear automatically in that centre right list. And when you open that entry, you should see the 23rd Hussars mission listed in the RH panel, as per Lockie's screenshot. If that doesn't work let me know, as I must have missed or messed up something, somewhere!

I had already done the thing Lockie described, to create the 23rd Hussars mission - lockie, do users who do NOT already have any other users missions need to do that, before the Britpak 23rd Hussars mission appears? Why is that? I thought that the Britpak file contained all the files and subfolders needed. Is there something mission, that the 'create new mission' procedure you described, generates?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:22 pm

33lima wrote:do users who do NOT already have any other users missions need to do that, before the Britpak 23rd Hussars mission appears?
    Yes.

Why is that?
    This is SF game engine feature. U've to create at least one user mission, then u'll get all necessary files enabled.

Is there something mission, that the 'create new mission' procedure you described, generates?
    It is only one way how to avoid "generate new mission" - create a new Campaign, like "Nazi power", "Schulze' diary", "Fridericus I" or whatever.
    I recommend u to make smth. similar as soon as possible. There are many veterans who already have some user's missions, thus "Brit pack" installation will overwrite them. I may help with creation, i.e. "British forces" then u'll be able to change this name on whatever u want. It'll be kinda kit of single missions.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:32 pm

Sounds perfect, Lockie. I think 'British single missions' might be a good name, because there will also at some point be British campaigns, which would have a group heading of their own in the Campaigns & Missions list. We could have all British single missions there, including 'Dust in the Wind'. Single missions grouped by nationality might be a good longer-term objective, especially if 'Britpak' is joined one day by a 'Yankeepak'...or a 'Nipponpak'.

EDIT - so, looking at GMP1, it has:

1. a file in the levels/LEVELS/camp folder, gmp_10.engcfg, and in this file is a list of the missions in the pack, with a row like this, for each mission:

campaign01, txt_Shahovo2, 1, 0, shakhovo2.jpg,txt_t34_1943_cit, 4, txt_hist_intro_Shahovo2, shahovo, levels\levels\cm_pack_mission10\Shahovo2.level,0,,,,,;

...which looks a little bit like the entry for the 23Hussars mission, in user_camp.engcfg:

23Hussars, 23 Hussars in Normandy (Sherman II), 1, 0, shermans.jpg, cit_fist, 4, txt_history_23Hussars, caumont1, levels\levels\cm_users\23Hussars.level;

2. folder called cm_pack_mission_10 for the .level and scripts files.

It seems the best thing is something similar to the GMP file and folder arrangement, for the 23 Hussars missions, and other British single missions....is that how this would work?

Pointer

Post by Pointer on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:39 am

I've 2 questions about polygon location.

1. May a mission, using a GMP-located polygon, be located in the main STA campains structure ?

2. May a campaign use polygons belonging to different GMPs ?

What do you think about the concept of placing all polygons in the main STA ?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:24 pm

I'd answer on both question - yes. In fact, STA itself almost does nothing without GMP's. The main idea of STA is providing missions. So, I'm pretty sure that everybody installed all GMP's.

I don't like idea to place all polygons in STA. The reason is simple. At this moment it has a monstrous size ~1.5Gb!
    Each GMP has ~0.7Gb It'll be impossible to d/l such file from 4share. Moreover, it'd be impossible to put some changes in the polygon.
    At this moment every GMP is a standalone mod, which works separately from other GMP. I'll try to implement the default archivator to decrease the size of STA mod.

Retrofly

Post by Retrofly on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:58 pm

What is a polygon? I keep seeing it mentioned, but I dont think its a geometric object in this case Smile
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:16 pm

Here we're with a new section "British missions"!
    So far here is only a common testing. New pack integrated into STA2.0, but was unavailable, coz it had been commented. At this moment "BM" doesn't compatible with STA2.0, that's why it should be re-adjusted to provide compatibility. I think it's possible to have two versions:
    1. original by 33lima
    2. adopted to STA2.0, which will be slightly differ. In the future the deference will be removed. So far, there are many details which should be settled up by author.

D/l: www.4shared.com/rar/sT_Fe2Ygce/STA-Britpak_Phase_1_v2.html

Retrofly wrote:What is a polygon?
    It is a map for the mission. Polygon is a term for the process of generation/creation, but it has the same content as a map.

Last edited by lockie on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Brilliant! Lockie's done it again! I don't think there's anything about Steel Fury that's worth knowing, that Lockie doesn't know!

As far as compatibility is concerned, we obviously need to standardise on some things, or else Britpak will have to stay as a separate mod, not as good as full integration with STA.

I think this standardisation for STA must include lower turret crew figures for the British tanks, and British medium tank platoons which have a 4-tank option, with 1 of them a Firefly. If the units files for STA and Britpak are heading in different directions, we can merge them again, by adding the 4-tank options back into the STA files, which were the basis for my tweaks anyway - the tweaks can be re-applied if necessary.

We also need to standardise details like the markings options for British tanks, so that they are ok for NW Europe, as well as N Africa; and sandshields on Shermans, which are necessary for Africa, but wrong for NW Europe.

We also need to standardise on a subtitles file, though this is very easily edited by players. I think we should have two versions - a stock one or maybe slightly improved, and another 'minimised' version, where every subtitle is replaced by the smallest character available, a full stop/period, which is nearly as good as turning off the subtitles, for those players who understand the language the crew is using. This would have to be a small, separate mod, so it can be turned back on when you don't understand (or haven't learned 'tankspeak!') the language in use.

In the meantime thanks to Lockie, we now have a version of Britpak which can be enabled on top of the latest STA, like an update, which will no longer mess up previous user missions.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:42 pm

lockie wrote:Here we're with a new section "British missions"!
    Slight bug in the new download, mission title says the mission is in 1945!
    Pointer

Post by Pointer on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:10 am

lockie wrote:
    Retrofly wrote:What is a polygon?
    It is a map for the mission. Polygon is a term for the process of generation/creation, but it has the same content as a map.
    In Polish "poligon" means "military training area".  So "polygon" with its SF slang meaning is very natural for me.  Is the same in Ukrainian?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:38 pm