» 2.3 sta troubleshooting
by cftaurus Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:27 pm

» Ukraine fights against enemy.
by lockie Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:45 pm

» STA2.3 version
by mechanic Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:26 am

» New & Updated Models(Нові Моделі)
by Glushak Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:26 pm

» how to import a 3d tank model and make it playable ?
by mechanic Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:40 am

» Ukrainian armor
by lockie Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:58 am

» Missions by Deviator (Місії ад Девіатора)
by Deviator Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:24 am

September 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Britpak-Steel Fury

33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Britpak-Steel Fury

Post by 33lima on Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:58 pm

This is not the first time I have made a grand plan for SF that came to nothing, but you have to start somewhere! The difference this time is that I now have a little experience of mission-making (having had a lot of help from Lockie).

Britpack by Brit44/Aldo was my favourite mod for Panzer Elite; unfortunately it has not yet been adapted to work with the latest PE-x files, though many British AFVs, with improved textures or features from Geezer, are in MajorD's PE3 mod.

Apart from one or two extra missions, Britpack used the stock US Normandy campaign, but added British tanks - as the British Army used many US AFVs, that meant mainly a Firefly, some Chruchill verrsions, a Bren Carrier and some other things. I recorded a 'British Voice Pack' mod to replace the US-accented voices, which worked with either the Britpack mod (set in Normandy 1944) or the Monty -v- Rommel mod (set in the Western Desert).

So I would like to see a Britpack mod for Steel Fury. This would be a mod that could be applied on top of STA (hopefully 1.0, as well as the currently-beta 2.0). It would be set in NW Europe, 1944-45 and include small campaigns based on the memoirs of real 'tankies' like Robert Bowscawen ('Armoured Guardsmen') or John Foley ('Mailed Fist').

Work on a very modest Phase 1 is under way now and will take another week or so. This will probably comprise only one mission, playing the British side of the second Jagdpanther mission I recently made for the 'Schulze's Diary' campaign. It will also have some adjusted vehicle specs and unit modifications and a new British Voice Pack.

Content of further phases (if they ever happen!) are NYA but the complete plan is as follows. Items that will be in Phase 1 are suffixed '(P1)'; many of these are done already  - below, British Sherman II (M4A1) with chance of sandshields reduced to zero, Tank Commander 'unbuttoned' height reduced, and red/white hull flashes removed, now part of a 4-tank platoon ('troop' in British Army parlance) with one Firefly:

Some items will likely only be possible if the original modder will either provide source files & permission, or do the work himself (I have almost no experience in 3d model work).

STEEL FURY - BRITPAK MOD task list

1. TANKS & TROOPS

1.1 M4A1
    - remove sandshields (P1)
    - lower TC unbuttoned (P1)
    - remove red/white hull flashes (P1)
    - add turret rear stowage bin
    - add tracks on hull front option (if NYA)

1.2 M4A2
    - remove sandshields (P1)
    - add turret rear stowage bin
    - remove gun cradle
    - add tracks on hull front option (if NYA)

1.3 Firefly
    - lower loader unbuttoned (P1)
    - remove .50 Cal (rise 1st person eyepoint, in interim)  [cancel - using early Firefly, instead]
    - remove sandbags  [cancel - using early Firefly, instead]
    - add 'tracks on hull front' option (if NYA) [cancel - using early Firefly, instead]

1.4 Churchill
    - create Mk IV variant (new turret & 75mm data file for existing Mk III)
    - add 'tracks on turret front+sides' option

1.5 Cromwell
    - remove red+white flashes - (P1)
    - remove current tank names (too big & same for all tks)

1.6 M3 Half-track
    - remove red/white flashes (P1)

1.6 Bren Carrier
    - remove red/white flashes if present (P1)

1.7 Stuart/Honey (M5)
    - remove red/white flashes if present (P1)
    - Lower turret crew unbuttoned (P1)

1.8 Infantry
    - remove Boys gunner
    - add PIAT operator

2. MARKINGS
    - create tank squadron turret markings options for ME
    - create formation markings (representative set, for each tank type)

3. MAPS
    - create/adapt 3-4 representative NW Europe maps, suitable for:
    - Goodwood
    - Bluecoat (adapt and/or use VB?)
    - Arnhem
    - Rhine (use M36 west?)

4. CAMPAIGNS
    - create '23rd Hussars' Bluecoat mission (P1)
    - create 'Armoured Guardsmen' campaign (Sherman - c.6 missions)
    - create 'Mailed Fist' campaign (Churchill - c.6 missions)

5. VOICES
    - adapt Panzer Elite British Voice Pack (P1)

6. UNITS
    - create 4-tank Sherman platoons + Firefly options (P1)

It would be good also to have at least two new AFV models - a British armoured car and an M10 with a 17 Pdr., but we can live without those.

Last edited by 33lima on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:57 pm; edited 7 times in total
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Britpak-Steel Fury

Post by 33lima on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:44 pm

Some screenies from SF-Britpak Phase 1  - the basic set of tweaks to vehicles and units, plus the 23rd Hussars mission, loosely based on the regiment's role in Operation Bluecoat in late July 1944. The player is a certain Lt Brudenell, from which name you can tell he is following in his grandfather's footsteps, into the cavalry (Lord Cardigan, of 'Charge of the Light Brigade') - so there is a Ukrainian connection here!

The player's No. 3 Troop of three Sherman IIs and a Firefly wait for the Squadron to move off. Ahead and right of his tank is a 'motor rifle' platoon from 3rd Bn., the Monmouthshire Regiment. 1 Troop is out of sight to the left; to the right beyond the half-tracks of the motor rifle boys are the two tanks of Squadron HQ and the Shermans and Firefly of 2 Troop (the Squadron is attacking 'two up'):

1 and 2 Troop have taken up fire positions, out of sight. No. 3 Troop come through a hedgerow just as the halftracks up ahead are about to reach their Final Assault Position (FAP), at which point the troops will de-bus to assault on foot:

Keeping together for mutual support, 3 Troop and the infantry push into St Martin Des Besaces:

The Town Square has been cleared of the enemy and we pass a knocked out SP as we press on for our final objective, the Hotel de Ville on the far side of town:

I've now adjusted the unbuttoned crew positions of all the participating British tanks (Shermans and Honeys) and removed the red and white hull side flashes, which are not appropriate for NW Europe. The AFVs now look a bit bland, pending availability of a realistic markings option, but even so, they are more representative of the drab appearance of British tanks in NW Europe.

Still a lot to do, adding waypoints and some extra radio traffic, but getting there! The terrain is quite challenging, it's not unusual for one of the lighter AFVs (or even a tank) to roll over, trying to negotiate some of the hedgerows!

There are still some compromises but I'm trying to stick to authentic practice in general, including using the real British WW2 format for oral (and written) orders (briefings) - which was very similar to the NATO format I  learned in the 1970s - and radio voice procedure and callsigns (eg in WW2, calls were ended with 'Off' rather than 'Out'). And the player's side will have an HQ unit (the squadron or company commander) present on the ground and 'on the air' (radio net).

Last edited by 33lima on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:04 pm; edited 5 times in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:02 pm

That's a good idea to improve BRIT troops! I've one question - why do we need to separate STA and BRIT mods?
    All units were made exactly to provide the missions, if u think there must be some adjustments, then let's do it! I know u're expert as BRIT forces, then let's take the lead role!

There is only one question: how it does, coz at this moment there are two versions of STA: 1 and 2.
    I think we need to work with a stable version - STA1.0+SeptUpd2015 or we'll have a terrible mess Smile
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:24 pm

This work is based on the current STA 2.0 (and is obviously nothing, without the work of all those who created all the original content that I am merely adapting a little).

I was thinking about whether 1.0 might be a better base but will worry about whether to adapt for 1.0 when it is fully working! British missions really need all the British tanks and vehicles but if they (and the VB map) are in STA 1.0, that will be fine.

At the moment, the plan is to create a separate Britpak-SF mod, which can be applied on top of STA if desired, to avoid any conflicts. The obvious conflict will be that the British Voice Pack will replace the US voices, used for British units now, so if we want both in a single mod, there will have to be a solution found. I think most or all of the other parts of Britpak-SF could be easily combined with STA eg the 4-tank platoons and the lower commander figures.

I think the ideal would be to incorporate Britpak in STA, probably STA 2.0 when that is released but maybe 1.0 if it suits in the meantime, but that is your baby and your decision! I would be entirely happy - delighted and flattered, in fact - to have Britpak as an integral part of the biggest and best mod for SF, I just want to see SF expand more into my own area of interest and am not trying to break out in a different direction...apart from Berlin, from the West instead of the East Smile If you are ok with incorporating Britpak in STA and can help with resolving any conflicts, that is absolutely fine by me!
    Pointer

Post by Pointer on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:41 am

lockie wrote:
    There is only one question: how it does, coz at this moment there are two versions of STA: 1 and 2.
    I think we need to work with a stable version - STA1.0+SeptUpd2015 or we'll have a terrible mess Smile

This is also VERY important question to me and my plans with some Polish missions.

IMHO we should stop for 1-2 month with introducing new items and concentrate on testing, debuging and finalizing STA 2.0.

Of course everyone can work on his projects, but they shouldn't be joined to the main stream during those 1-2 months , till STA 2.0 will be stable, regular version.

We also need new STICKY topic for synchronisation, with list of files currently being modified (2 or more persons shouldn't simultaneously put changes to the same file, especially 3d and texture, which are much harder for future synchronisation than the text ones). New inserts of text files are not problems, but changes are.

So let's go:

=======================================================
    Pointer declares work with following files:

\data\k42\loc_rus\go\techn\tanks\t34_42_d.go   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (marked as hard for synchroniastion if desynchronised) (means: i u want to modify this file, first contact with me, PLEASE) (****)
    \data\k42\loc_rus\go\techn\tanks\t34_42.go   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (marked as hard for synchroniastion if desynchronised) (means: i u want to modify this file, first contact with me, PLEASE) (****)

Other files:

\data\k42\loc_rus\textures\marks\marks_tac_marks1_c.dds

I prepare new entries into:
    \data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\common\common_res.engcfg
    \data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\spec\markers.engcfg
    \data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\tech_cfg\t34_42.engcfg
    =================================================================

(****)
    So I open the common list of blockades (only filenames without paths, sorted with alphabetical order, + dev's name)

t34_42_d.go (Pointer)
    t34_42.go (Pointer)(planned to be unified with one above)

============================================================

And that list of blockades should be obligatory object of interest and respect of all devs.

Last edited by Pointer on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:59 am; edited 9 times in total
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:48 am

Pointer suggestion makes sense especially in light of your ongoing efforts into adapting-transposing STA to the new mod.

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:52 pm

33lima wrote:
    At the moment, the plan is to create a separate Britpak-SF mod, which can be applied on top of STA if desired, to avoid any conflicts. The obvious conflict will be that the British Voice Pack will replace the US voices, used for British units now, so if we want both in a single mod, there will have to be a solution found. I think most or all of the other parts of Britpak-SF could be easily combined with STA eg the 4-tank platoons and the lower commander figures.

Hi 33lima,

There is no problem to have specific voice files for the British tanks, different from the voice files for the US tanks. Lockie knows how to do it. Actually the original Steel Fury only had voice files for the German and Soviet tanks. The new nations were added later so there will be no problem to add a new nation (British) to the voice files !

Txema
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks Txema, I knew the US voices were added on - I recognise some of the sound files, from certain 'familiar sources' Smile So I'd guessed there was a way of adding other nationalities, tho I have no idea what this is...until Lockie enlightens me, as he usually does.

The 23rd Hussars 'Bluecoat' mission needs a bit more work but is nearly ready. I will then experiment with the possibility of recording sound files for the missions radio messages, which are now just subtitles. We can then decide what to do with the mission & related files. It could he held back for STA 2.0 or I could test it in 1.0 so that it could be released now, in a GMP update. It includes slightly modified unit, vehicle config and .go (3d) files, as per the first post in this thread - at the very least, the mission needs the modified unit files as these add the necessary 4-tank platoons (troops) to the British side, with 3x Cromwells or Shermans and 1xFirelfy per troop.

As the US voices are not very good for a British mission (and there are some issues there, like the loader reporting 'On the way!' (= 'Firing now!') instead of 'Up' (='loaded!'), I plan to work on the British Voice Pack, next. When that is ready, we can decide what to do with it, eg release in an STA 1.0 update, or hold back for STA 2.0. That will be Phase 2 of Britpack-SF - sorry, the Britpack component of STA!

Phase 3 would be some additional maps and missions, preferably mini-campaigns. If it becomes possible to add turret rear stowage boxes to British Shermans, create a Churchill VI cast turret, 75mm-gun version of the current Churchill and an M10 variant of the current M36, and maybe a British armoured car, that could be in Phase 3, also, or a later one.

33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:28 am

Anyone who wants to try Phase 1, the file is here:

http://www.4shared.com/rar/7W0K1-Ctce/Britpack_Phase1.html

It's assembled as a mod/update, to help avoid problems, top level folder name 'Britpack_Phase1', unzip into MODs folder and enable with JSGME (no readme yet - also NYA is the voicepack, so this still uses the US voices).

Features:

- just one mission, (23rd Hussars, Normandy, 31 July 1944) but also has the modified unit files for the whole mod, first part anyway;

- proper unit organisation - three-troop British medium tank squadron with 3 Shermans and a Firefly in each troop and a Squadron HQ unit with 2 Shermans;

- attached troops are a motor rifle platoon in half-tracks, and a recce section of Honey light tanks;

- proper mission 'briefing' using the correct format and given in a realistic manner, in the style of a British Army officer at an 'O' (Orders) Group - it may not be what some tanksim players are used to, but it is what soldiers are/were used to;

- realistic radio voice procedure (only 3 radio messages tho, all just subtitles - may try adding voice recordings to their scripts, later);

- realistic plan for the operation, described realistically in the orders;

- some variability in enemy dispositions;

- loosely based on real operations by 23rd Hussars and 3rd Monmouths (11th Armoured Division) on 31 July 1944, during Operation Bluecoat in Normandy;

- loading screen 'history' quotes from actual British Army participants in the battle;

- unbuttoned tank commander (& loader for Firefly and Honey, Churchill also included) lowered so as to be 'heads out';

- unrealistic (for NW Europe) red/white flashes removed from British AFVs.

Caveats
    (i)this was produced in STA 2.0, may work in 1.0 if the necessary components are all there;
    (ii) the Sherman types (M4A1/M4A2/M4A4 Firefly) are not entirely a realistic mix due to different engines;
    (iii) Briitish voicepack and British vehicle markings packs both not yet available;
    (iv) I haven't actually tested the 'packaged', mod version, just the original files, but I'm pretty sure they are all there and in the correct folders;
    (v) replay variability is via a few units which may or may not appear, or may appear in a different location - there is no 'mission balance' variability;
    (vi) it's meant to be played as you would in real life - pay attention to and follow your orders, and remember you're a troop [platoon] leader not Rambo (as in real life, you won't be in your troop's Firefly, just a 75mm Sherman, so pay attention to what it, and the others, are doing, try to keep them alive and where they can help you). If you want to 'game' the mission, go ahead, if that's your idea of fun.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:01 am

33Lims I downloaded your mod but I note that it includes go files and a common resolution one. What STA & update is it supposed to work with?

33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:45 am

frinik wrote:33Lims I downloaded your mod but I note that it includes go files and a common resolution one.  What STA & update  is it supposed to work with?

Works with STA 2.0 and u4_DecUpd_2015+GMP1.45, 2.35+3.3. Not sure when the Fireflies came - not in STA 1.0, but may have been in an STA 1.0 update. It should work as designed with any install which has the British Shermans & Fireflies, the British Honey (M5A1), the British M3 half-tracks and troops and the Villers Bocage map.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

This mod is a very good deal! I'll try to adopt/include this mod to STA2.0. and to the next update.
    I've a couple questions:
    1. how to install it? I mean what the recommended order of installation? Could u note it in the first post? Could u enclose a picture with order installation?
    2. I've looked over units engcfg files and spotted that u commented the next entries, i.e. for Cromvell:
    Code:
          //s_mark_flag_01,    gbr_flaga,         1.0,   0,   0.015;
          //s_mark_flag_02,    gbr_flaga,         1.0,   0,   0.015;
    What for? It is just a chunk/dummy, which is responsible only for the place where insignia attach to. If u don't want to use it, then u've to create a new insignia (file markers.engcfg) or just don't use the default markers or add the new chunks for the new places->new insignias. There is no need to remove them, because it'll remove all markers for the current units, i.e. presented for desert missions like Capture the "Tiger", April 1943 (Mk.IV "Churchill")
    3. There are a couple errors for the mission.
    3.1. No need to enclose file user_camp.engcfg, because some users has already prepared missions, but in case to install Brit-pack it'll be overwritten.
    Instead u should have been added to the readme:
    add the next entry to the file user_camp.engcfg
    Code:
       23Hussars, 23 Hussars in Normandy (Sherman II), 1, 0, shermans.jpg, cit_fist,4, txt_history_23Hussars, caumont1, levels\levels\cm_users\23Hussars.level;
    3.2. This entry subject to be corrected:
    txt_attack_sh() {1. Support the motor rifle platoon assaulting St Martin\n;}
    on
    txt_attack_sh() {1. INFO; Support the motor rifle platoon assaulting St Martin\n;}
    There are two phrases separated by ";"
    First "1.INFO" u'll see in mission order list (F8/map), second u'll see in pop-up window at the task beginning/ending.
    Also u may see first word as a task waypoint, but it's complicate to explain how to do that.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks, Locike.

I've written a readme which I will cut and paste here - in a few days, after testing if this works for SSM+STA1.0+Sept update, as well as what it working with now, which is SSM2+STA2.0+u4_DecUpd_2015. I believe weather and GMPs can be installed either before or after.

The ideal would I think for this to be an update to STA, but it may be best to keep the 'Britpak' name instead of a month, because it maybe contains some files that could conflict with other mods or over-write stuff the player has done for themselves eg create 5-tank Panther platoons!

Thanks for the tip about putting the mission line in the readme, not the actual file, I have no missions in the user folder so this did not occur to me.

Issues like this are why I made this as a separate mod, so that it would not just over-wite other files, without an easy way back. Protect the players against a 'newb mod-maker attack'.

Commenting out those 'flags' lines removed the red & white flashes from the sides of the British AFVs. They are wrong for NW Europe. I don''t want to replace them with anything, I just want them gone.

They had to go. Their removal from Tunis or Africa missions was a price that had to be paid. Smile

To be serious, red & white flashes are completely wrong for the Cromwell. Even for vehicles like Shermans and Churchills which served in N Africa/Tunisia/Italy, the flashes were not always carried. We're fine, without them. And tank names that are too big, or are the same for every tank, are not much use, really. Some markings can be turned off in the ME, but some can't, I think.

If there is a way of making the red/white markers depend on the mission and camouflage scheme, I don't know what it is! I killed off the markings for all the British AFVs for this mission, in the ME, but the darn red/white flashes would not die!!! Until I commented out those flags...mission accomplished. We tried to save the African markings sir, but we couldn't do it, collateral damage, sadly Smile

I'm still learning how to do messages and stuff! Some lines are just copied from some other file! I am happy to delete the word 'INFO' - it serves no sueful purpose and it's fine ff the text in the popup message and in the F8 map is the same.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:48 pm

33lima wrote:
    The ideal would I think for this to be an update to STA, but it may be best to keep the 'Britpak' name instead of a month
    OK, it sounds good! What abt. to make a separate Campaign like "Brit Armor WW2"? Then u'll have ability to add a new missions and update some files according to the current mod? Of course, u may add a new missions to "Single" pattern, but with a specific units and battles, I think the new Campaign "Brit" will be quite in time! What du u think?

Commenting out those 'flags' lines removed the red & white flashes from the sides of the British AFVs.
    This is because u've used default insignias Smile

They are wrong for NW Europe. I don''t want to replace them with anything, I just want them gone.
    Then don't use them or make a new ones where NW Europe insignias has an appropriate place. If u comment these chunks, then u'll conflict with the current STA2.0 mod. BUT if u want to continue on with STA1.0 then there are no problems at all, coz this mod will no longer develop.

To be serious, red & white flashes are completely wrong for the Cromwell.
    Then let's make a new ones or just don't use the default ones.

If there is a way of making the red/white markers depend on the mission and camouflage scheme, I don't know what it is!
    U've to use whatever markers depends on the mission. There is no problem at all. BUT removing the current ones will cause the conflict.

I killed off the markings for all the British AFVs for this mission, in the ME, but the darn red/white flashes would not die!!! Until I commented out those flags...mission accomplished. We tried to save the African markings sir, but we couldn't do it, collateral damage, sadly Smile
    I'm ready to check it out, just give me any sample missions where u didn't mark the units, but those flags still appeared Smile
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:49 pm

This is the player unit from the 23 Hussars mission, in the ME. The red ring shows the 'Tactical marks' have nothing selected:

This is what that does - no numbers or names, but the red & white flashes are still there (on the Firelfies, too):

When I comment out the 'flags' line, but only then, the red & white flashes go:

If there is a way of selectively supressing these markings, happy to hear about it! For British tanks 1944-45, we don't want any markings in the same place as these flashes.

A more important issue is sandshields. We don't want them on ANY British or US Shermans, for NW Europe 1944-45. But we do want them on the M4A1, for Africa. The best thing would be to have a British version of the LATE M4A1 with NO sandshields option (for service in NW Europe), so that the EARLY version of the British M4A1 could keep the sandshields option.

Anyway here is the Readme for Britpak_STA., Phase 1. The current download is not final, because it doesn't have the voicepack, which is to be part of Phase 1.

README

What’s this?
    STA-BritPack Phase 1 is the first part of an STA update which will give the player the ability to play realistic British Army missions in North-West Europe, 1944-45. Phase 1 includes the first mission and a range of modified supporting files – see ‘Contents’ below for more details.

Requirements
    STA-Britpack was developed in Steel Fury – Kharkov 1942 with the Steel Tank Add-on (STA) 2.0 + the u4_DecUpd_2015 update (or later). [draft note - add when confirmed: 'It has also been tested in STA 1.0 + [update tested]]

Contents
    Phase 1 comprises:

-          mission ‘23rd Hussars, Normandy 1944 (Sherman II)’ – a semi-historical attack by a reinforced medium tank squadron to clear a German rearguard from a Normandy village on day 2 of Operation Bluecoat;

-          updated unit files, adding realistic British platoons (‘troops’) with 4 medium tanks - 1xFirefly and 3xSherman 75mm or Cromwell;

-          updated model (.go) files for Firefly, Sherman, Churchill & Honey/Stuart with unbuttoned commanders/loaders lowered, to be ‘heads out’ only;

-          updated .go files for Shermans completely remove sandshields (not appropriate for field service in NW Europe);

-          updated AFV config files remove markings inappropriate to period/theatre (Firefly, Sherman, Cromwell, Churchill, Honey, M3 half-track);

-          British Voice Pack (BVP) adding British-accented crew/infantry voices;

-          updated subtitles file, with improved representation of crew voice subtitles, in line with BVP.

Some design considerations & principles
    Until more NW Europe maps are available, we’re starting with just one mission. As maps become available, the plan is to add missions, preferably as mini-campaigns based on memoirs like John Foley’s ‘Mailed Fist’ or Robert Bowscawen’s ‘Armoured Guardsmen’.

Some compromises are made to take account of vehicle availability eg at release date, there’s no British armoured car, scout car or M10 tank destroyer and the Sherman III (M4A2) stands in for the M4 (Sherman I) or M4A4 (Sherman V) versions the British actually used more commonly (along with the Sherman II/M4A1). And the Churchill is the 6 Pdr-armed MkIII, more suitable for Tunisia.  

Mission orders (‘briefing’ is is not the right term) use the authentic British WW2 format (functionally identical to NATO equivalent) but content is simplified, generally omitting such details as move to Forming Up Place, location of Start Line or Regimental Aid Post, the post-battle ‘re-org’ phase, boundaries, timings, and ‘Actions on...’.

Units have the appropriate HQ element, present on the battlefield and ‘heard’ on the radio net, and will be deployed (and attempt to continue to fight) in a recognisable unit formation and using an approximation of realistic tactics.

Unfortunately SF doesn’t simulate realistic radio traffic - OK for WW2 Soviets but not Western armies. However, some effort is made with scripted, event-driven messages to create the impression of a functioning radio net, using fairly authentic British WW2 Radio Voice Procedure.

Pending creation of realistic later-war markings options for British AFVs, the ‘stock’ ones have been disabled (in the Mission Editor) or removed (in vehicle config files) as the resulting un-marked vehicle is a better representation of how they looked in NW Europe, 1944-45.

Apart from massive bombing preparation prior to an attack, or interdiction of rear areas, air power actually had limited involvement in actual ground combat in theatre, so will not appear often.

Any assistance from modders to develop STA-Britpack would be much appreciated, as would be permission to work from existing content. A few additional AFVs, the typical turret rear stowage bin for British 75mm Shermans, headphones (or RAC helmet option) for British AFV crews and a PIAT ‘gang’ would be particularly welcome; as would a few more suitable maps.

Installation
    1.       Unzip the complete contents of the compressed file into your Steel Fury MODS folder (preserving the sub-folder structure). If you have other user missions (check your data/k_42/loc_rus/levels/cm_users folder, for any .level files), go to step 1a; otherwise, go to step 2.

1a. Only players with existing user missions need to do this, to stop Britpak over-writing the file which lists these missions, for display in the 'Missions & Campaigns' screen. Using Wordpad or similar, open the file (in your main game folder, NOT the MODs folder) /data/k_42/loc_rus/levels/LEVELS/camp/user_camp.engcfg. Add this line, after any entries for your existing user missions:
    23Hussars, 23 Hussars in Normandy (Sherman II), 1, 0, shermans.jpg, cit_fist,4, txt_history_23Hussars, caumont1, levels\levels\cm_users\23Hussars.level;

Save the file. Next, DELETE the same file in the MODs folder (user_camp.engcfg).

2.       Open Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGM) and check you have already enabled the ‘Requirements’ listed above.

3.       In JSGME, enable the mod listed in the left-hand panel as ‘Britpack_Phase1’.*

4.       To remove all STA-Britpack components and reset SF to the previous configuration, disable it using JSGME.

5.       I believe mission packs (GMP), weather or camera mods can be enabled before or after STA-Britpack.

* Order of enabling is:
    1. SSM2
    2. STA2.0
    3. GMPs
    4. u4_DecUpdate_2015 (or later)
    5. Britpack_Phase1.

Credits
    The inspiration for this pack was the Brit44 mod for Panzer Elite, by Aldo. The included mission uses the STA Villers Bocage map by Deviator and Lockie and includes some modifications of STA files by Lockie (units) and Will73 (AFV 3d & config files), to whom credit and particular thanks are due.

Thanks are also due to Graviteam, for their work, commitment and attention to detail in bringing us what is still one of the very best tanksims available and all the modders who have helped take Steel Fury to the level now seen in the STA mod.

The files in this mod are subject to such conditions of use as may from time to time be set by the STA team. You are free to modify any files for personal use.

Version 1.0, 30 Jan 16

Last edited by 33lima on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:38 pm

OK, I see the point and have to agree that a separate mod would be preferable, coz u may implement a very quick any changes and don't depend on the main mod. I'll add to STA only new units.

PS
    Map Viller-Bocage was mad by Deviator. I did a very tiny adjustments to force AI move along the road and added material under houses foundation. Let's say 90% was made by Deviator and my is 10%
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:03 pm

Two bugs found, which I don't know how to correct:

1. The first waypoint 'Troops de-bus' which should be where the 'desants' leave the half-tracks (contour name FAP), looks ok at the start of the mission but when you get past that place, it seems to be ahead, I think it is actually at the Hotel de Ville, the LAST waypoint. It looks like there is an error in the cs_main block of the scripts file, which is not moving the waypoints as the player reaches them. The problem is I am not really sure how to organise waypoints (defined in the loc_data file, but I think controlled by the cs_main block in the scripts file) so that they display one after the other.

2. The final radio message - the Squadron commander congratulating everybody and telling them to go onto the defensive - is not playing. This is built into the victory trigger but it is not displaying, even though the victory condition works. Not sure what the problem is here, either.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:36 am

I think the final radio message not playing, may be because I had its duration set to zero! Anyway I'll check the fix tomorrow, time to crash out and get some kip.

Im the meantime, I've put something up on http://combatace.com/topic/88173-steel-fury-the-british-are-coming/.

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:38 am

33lima wrote:Two bugs found, which I don't know how to correct:

1. I think u should not use a big letters, like FAR. There should be i.e "far_point".

2. U need add delay 15 sec, then add message:
    ext, add_text, msg_radio2, 0xffffffff, 8, 0;
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:02 pm

Not sure how to do #2! A new type of line in the Trigger in the ME? An edit to the scripts file? Both?

Can I ask two questions, please?

Below is what I have in the scripts file, in the cs_main, cs_map and triggers blocks. So...

1. What do I need to do, to get the mission to use the 3 waypoints I have listed in loc_data, one after the other? Do I need a change_misobj command each time I want the waypoint to move on to the next one (and a new objective to go with it)?

2. Where do I set up the trigger for the final radio message? The one that's not working now is msg_goodshow, in the last 3 lines of the Triggers block.

cs_main()
    {

ext, add_misobj, brief, fonar, 4, txt_briefing_jp2, txt_mis_order;
    nop;
    ext, sel_waypoint, FAP1, 0xff00a040, txt_FAP1, 0;
    ext, add_misobj, order1, fonar, 1, txt_attack, txt_attack_sh;
    ext, sel_waypoint, town_square, 0xff00a040, txt_FAP1, 0;
    ext, sel_waypoint, hotel_de_ville, 0xff00a040, txt_FAP1, 0;
    }

cs_map()
    {

ext, set_map, map_usr_start, -1, 1, false;
    ext, add_mo, map0, area, 0xa0802020, , 6, , 0, hill, -1, true, 0;
    ext, add_mo, map0, ,0xc0000000,0xc0000000 , 2, txt_ldm_map_order_hill,0, hill, -1, false, 0;
    ext, add_mo, map0, ,0xc0000000,0xc0000000 , 2, txt_ldm_map_order_st_martin,0, st_martin, -1, false, 0;
    ext, add_mo, map0, ,0xc0000000,0xc0000000 , 2, txt_ldm_map_order_town_square,0, town_square, -1, false, 0;
    ext, add_mo, map0, ,0xc0000000,0xc0000000 , 2, txt_ldm_map_order_hotel_de_ville,0, hotel_de_ville, -1, false, 0;
    ext, add_mo, map0, ,0xc0000000,0xc0000000 , 2, txt_ldm_map_order_rv_point,0, rv_point, -1, false, 0;
    ext, add_mo, map0, attack_dir, 0xc0802020, , 2.8, , 0, gbr_attack2, -1, true, 0;
    ext, add_mo, map0, area, 0xc0000080, , 6, , 0, hotel_de_ville, -1, true, 0;
    ext, add_mo, map0, area, 0xc0000080, , 6, , 0, town_square, -1, true, 0;
    nop;
    }

cs_positions()
    {

}

triggers()
    {
    ger_radio_1, 0x20001, gbr_apc_com1, fap;
    ger_radio_1, 0x2000d, msg_cattack, 0, 12.000;
    ger_radio_2, 0x20002, 8, gbr_obj;
    ger_radio_2, 0x2000d, msg_rv, 0, 12.000;
    victory, 0x20001, gbr_tnk_01, ger_win;
    victory, 0x2000d, msg_goodshow, 0, 12.000;
    victory, 0x2000a;
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:36 pm

33lima wrote:Not sure how to do #2!
    just add a couple lines:

nop;
    ext, sel_waypoint, town_square, 0xff00a040, txt_FAP1, 0;
    ext, sel_waypoint, hotel_de_ville, 0xff00a040, txt_FAP1, 0;
    ext, wait_tr, victory; //wait trigger "victory"
    ext, change_misobj, order1, 3;// info F8/map task completed "+"
    wait_time, 15; //wait 15 sec
    ext, add_text, msg_goodshow, 0xffffffff, 8, 0;
    //radio getback to the base

To see the next waypoints u've to pres"-/+" or organize them as the next task.

BTW
    fonar means fake/dummy point. U can use this point as a mission task, where blue icon dimmer after 30 sec. But better and simply just note it as

1. What do I need to do, to get the mission to use the 3 waypoints I have listed in loc_data, one after the other? Do I need a change_misobj command each time I want the waypoint to move on to the next one (and a new objective to go with it)?
    Yes.

2. Where do I set up the trigger for the final radio message? The one that's not working now is msg_goodshow, in the last 3 lines of the Triggers block.
    It's already works with mentioned new entries after 15 seconds.
    Or u may add this msg as immediate text to the trigger block:
    victory, 0x20001, gbr_tnk_01, ger_win;
    victory, 0x2000a;
    victory, 0x2000d, msg_goodshow, 0xffffffff, 30;
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:39 pm

OK thanks. As you can see I don't yet really understand how these things work, I feel like I'm just pressing different buttons to find something that works! And when it does work, I have no idea why Smile

Anyway, the mission is going quite well now, as I intended it. I'm trying to fix a bug where 1 Troop makes its first move ok, then instead of moving into the village, it just bugs out, heading off the map away from the action. The 2nd troop has a nearly identical script, just adifferent contours, and that works fine. I have increased their experience and morale, in case they were getting scared, though they had not even been fired on. It's neat and fun, how in the ME you can play the action, and see and hear what happens.

I tried a similar mission for Panzer Elite -'South of Hill 112' - but with Churchills, and it would often break down because triggers didn't fire when units got stuck, due to pathfinding or other issues. It was good to have the option in the PE Mission Editor to make platoons advance using fire and movement, and at the start of a mission, platoons didn't do a merry dance (which I can't stop the player's platoon doing at the start of '23 Hussars'). However, despite that and the fact that you need to make some edits in files outside the ME, the SF Editor seems quite powerful, and not too hard to use.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:29 pm

If u want to keep the original script execution, then I recommend u to use the next commands:

ext, 2game;
    nop;
    ext, noextcam;
    ext, 2game;

User will be in the mission immediately and phase with map will be missed. Thus user can't spoil the script.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:18 pm

Do you mean, with those lines, when the mission loads, instead of starting with the map and briefing, the player will start in the 3d world? If so, that's not what I want. It's very important that before the action begins, the player can read the orders and study the map. I expect the player to study the ground, pay attention to his orders and then follow them, without relying too much or at all, on turning on magical holographic markers!

Your earlier suggestions have definitely helped me understand better what I need to do...there is a still a little lacking in the execution, though! 1 Troop now makes the second move in its script, and the waypoints seem to be working, moving onto the next one, when triggers fire as the troops reach the designated contours. The one thing that is NOTworking is that the F8/onscreen text objectives (to accompany each waypoint change) are not happening - only the first objective is displayed, and it won't change.

This is what I have in my cs_main block now, and I can't work out what is wrong with it:

cs_main()
    {

nop;
    ext, wait_tr, ger_radio_1; //wait trigger "ger_radio_1"
    ext, sel_waypoint, town_square, 0xff00a040, txt_town_square, 0;
    ext, add_misobj, order2, fonar, 1, txt_attack2, txt_attack2_sh;
    ext, wait_tr, ger_radio_2; //wait trigger "ger_radio_2"
    ext, sel_waypoint, hotel_de_ville, 0xff00a040, txt_hotel_de_ville, 0;
    ext, add_misobj, order3, fonar, 1, txt_attack3, txt_attack3_sh;
    ext, wait_tr, victory; //wait trigger "victory"
    ext, change_misobj, order1, 3;// info F8/map task completed "+"
    wait_time, 15; //wait 15 sec
    ext, add_text, msg_goodshow, 0xffffffff, 8, 0; //radio well done and go firm
    }

The tasks section in loc_data looks like this - the first task is the only one which will display:

//Tasks
    //first task
    //this is INFO-text in the map F8
    txt_attack()               {1. Move with the motor rifle platoon to their de-bus point.\n;}
    txt_attack_sh()          {1. Move with the motor rifle platoon to their de-bus point.\n;}
    //second task
    txt_attack2()             {2. Support the motor rifle platoon in seizing the Town Square.\n;}
    txt_attack2_sh()        {2. Support the motor rifle platoon in seizing the Town Square.\n;}
    //third task
    txt_attack3()             {3. Move to and clear the Hotel de Ville.\n;}
    txt_attack3_sh()         {3. Move to and clear the Hotel de Ville.\n;}

Any ideas??? Should I not be using the 'fonar' switch/command in the add_misobj lines?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:20 pm

33lima wrote:he player will start in the 3d world? It's very important that before the action begins, the player can read the orders and study the map.
    Usually, users prefer to play/action and don't read the briefing. Command 2game will give him such chance and script will fork fine! Anyway, user may read briefing from the second try or in the history note, if u place this info there.

The one thing that is NOTworking is that the F8/onscreen text objectives (to accompany each waypoint change) are not happening - only the first objective is displayed, and it won't change.
    that's because u didn't separate two phrases with ";" in
    txt_attack_sh()          {1.INFO; Move with the motor rifle platoon to their de-bus point.\n;}
    ***_sh means "short"

Last edited by lockie on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:20 am