MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Steel Fury - North West Europe

33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Steel Fury - North West Europe

Post by 33lima on Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:48 am

I know Normandy and the battles which followed aren't everyone's main area of interest but they are definitely mine - and likely, of interest to many other actual or potential SF players. Besides, while there is always room for new stuff - like extending Lockie's campaign concept - the Ostfront has been, if not done to death, then fairly heavily covered. NW Europe by comparison has lots of mostly latent potential for some really interesting virtual tanking.

So I'm suggesting that those amongst us who can do these things, think about devoting some effort to filling out this theatre.

We already have a lot of great stuff suitable for NW Europe so I'm thinking the main things we could really use are:

- missions, preferably themed sets to form campaigns - eg US tanker Normandy to the Rhine, British tankie ditto, German tanker ditto, with variants for different AFVs, perhaps two per nation. I would be keen to make some of these missions, but we would also need...

- a few more maps, with a more western European look and feel, whether they are based on real or representative locations;

- the main vehicle/weapon gaps filled - namely for the US, M10 TD, 76mm towed TD (do we have a 2.5 ton truck?), & maybe nice-to-have stuff like the M24, M18 & a 'Beep' weapons carrier;

for the British, a Churchill VI or VII (nice-to-have, a 25 Pdr gun/howitzer, some model of armoured car eg AEC or Humber, and scout car eg Dingo or Humber; and a Comet).

Any modders interested in taking this up?

frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Re: Steel Fury - North West Europe

Post by frinik on Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:39 am

The M24 would be awesome and since we have very late war tanks like the M26, Js3 and Panther Ausf F why not the Comet?

While I personally favour the East theatre and I am not so keen on the Western, one partly because it was so heavily influenced by the Allies complete control of the air and overwhelming material advantage which we can't hardly reproduce in game otherwise it would be mission impossible for the German player, I don't mind resources being focussed on the war in the West for all SF fans and  I understand that everybody has the right to get their fair share of the cake so I definitely support Lima33 plea's in favour of putting more efforts and attention to it...

Santa Lockie please? santa
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:43 pm

That's a good idea with a new battlefield area. The propblem is - there are only two mapmaker left: me and Deviator. At this moment I'm working with a polygon for the "Fury". Deviator is more obsessed with East front. Suppose, my new map will be in use for the other missions or be as a base for the other west polygons. I'll upload source files.
    As for new units, I've strong opinion: no new missions - no new units.
    Though, I've a plans to make SPG M-10.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Well if we have the source code for Villers Bocage and Fury maps and maybe others like EU_m36_west, and permission to use them, with the ME in map editor mode, we could move around things like roads, buildings and terrain features around, to create maybe 2 variants of each, enough for a campaign of maybe 8-10 missions. Each campaign mission could have two variants, one played from the German side, the other from the British or US.

We don't really need many new vehicles. Though a few more would be ideal, just two would be enough: an M10 for the US side and a Churchill VI (just a new, rounded turret with muzzle brake on the gun, on the Churchill III we have now). Anything more than that, 'icing on the cake'.

Make the vehicles, release the map source code for say 3 western European maps, and I'll take it from there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 28, 2017 4:02 am