» Best laptop for playing
by frinik Today at 1:05 am

» Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
by lockie Yesterday at 11:59 pm

» Woofie the Dog's Skin Shop
by woofiedog Yesterday at 9:25 pm

» Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)
by lockie Yesterday at 11:15 am

» All of the command keys are set to ???
by lockie Yesterday at 8:00 am

» Sta scranny 001:Error
by mechanic Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 pm

» Missing Keyboard Defaults
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:10 pm

» Any way to separate infantry from tanks?
by aleader Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:50 pm

» STA(Steel Tank Add-on) 3.2 (Steel Fury)
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 pm

December 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

SF is getting abandoned

Stah

Re: SF is getting abandoned

Post by Stah on Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:30 pm

lockie wrote:this game is getting abandoned. It's just a matter of time.

As an afterthought: I found you and other guys constantly talking about SF dying, being abandoned, losing players, and so on. But I see new models added all the time, new versions of mods added, new users on this forum (as me, for example - and over a dozen registered after me) - and the ultimate test: YouTube. When I was playing SF for the first time, there was few SF videos on YT (I even remember myself thinking: "seven videos? must be shitty game"  cyclops ) - now I see lots of videos!
    Do you really think SF is dying?... I don't get it...
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:27 pm

Yeah. All updates are just inertia of the locomotive, which is out of steam a long time ago. There is only miracle left to relay on.
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

SF is getting abandoned

Post by frinik on Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:34 am

Lockie is kind of gloomy and pessimistic. The game will survive because it's decently good and there's virtually no competition and finally there's Lockie, literally the life guard who pumps air into the old girl the moment it looks like she 's drowning.  Laughing

Look at Panzer Elite it's an 18 years old tank sim and still being modded and played actively way more than Steel Fury by the way. Steel Beasts is also more than a 15 years old and going strong. Arma Armed Assault from 2006, Arma 2 2009 ,IL 2 2005, BF2 2005, Far Cry the first one from 2004 etc... Tons of old game still going strong because there are guys like Lockie and good modders and dedicated fans.

SF will be around 5 years from now and more....It's already a classic.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks Frinik  cheers
    I think only `Fall blau` would bring a life to SF I think during one year at least, but now it is just exercises: how to make the mission faster or put the tank in the game to make SF museum wider monkey
    The last great update was "Fix for widescreen monitors 16:9" by will73. That's all.
    Unfortunately, Steel blaze made in a weired manner. It is no tanksim neither strategy (it's my point). Moreover, there are no any adequate tools to make smth. similar like in SF. It is clear "stone age" from XX century. But even with this weired tools u can't create any new maps, because tools are absent(same with docs). U've to ask devs: would u be so kind to share with me smth., coz I want to do smth. and so on. And if u're a good boy and have a good behavior then may be u've a chance to get smth. Or may be not.
    I see that IL-2 has a good potential to become a good tanksim without any "strategic things". Let's see.

Stah

Post by Stah on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:36 am

frinik wrote:Arma Armed Assault from 2006, Arma 2 2009 ,IL 2 2005, BF2 2005, Far Cry the first one from 2004 etc...

2006?... 2004?... Me and my friends still play Atari 65XE's FEUD from 1987! Or Preliminary Monty, or Mouse Trap... All from 80's. And have lots of fun!

frinik wrote:SF will be around 5 years from now and more....It's already a classic.

Precisely my point!
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:49 pm

I'm exactly with Frinik and Stah on this one. I'll play less SF - tho maybe not ABANBON it - when a significantly better WW2 tanksim comes along. There's no such thing in sight.

A pretty but very partially-modelled tank or two in IL-2 BoS means nothing. It would take a whole new game to be built, to produce anything resembling a tank simulator there. 'Pretty Ruddy Unlikely', if I may borrow from the RAF PRU's song about Gremlins. Will believe it when I see it and I ain't seen nuthin' much yet.

SABOW might one day become serious competition as a WW2 tanksim (even if modability is limited) because it has a dynamic campaign engine (the wargame element) and it improves many of SF's relative weaknesses (eg better platoon control - still not enough hotkeys - better interface, better AI, better target indications and better simulation of radio traffic). But that day is probably years away - if it ever comes. Even if and when WW2 DLC starts coming, SABOW may never have the range of playable vehicles of SF (Graviteam are commendably fussy about getting every model right, inside and out, but perhaps the best is the enemy of the good enough, in terms of a wide range of playable vehicles - 3d interiors are nice to have, but not essential for example.)

In every department but graphics,  Panzer Elite with any of its current mods (PE-x, PP2-x and PE3) is still a top class WW2 tanksim. I have not abandoned PE and I've been playing it fairly regularly about 15 years now, and still do.

SF won't be abandoned as long as people enjoy playing it and for me that''s so far in the future I can't even see it coming.  Its many strengths more than outweigh the relative weaknesses. There's just so much content - and as Stah said, more keeps coming - that replayability is high. Who knows, now that I have some idea how the ME works, I might even contribute some myself, especially if we get a few more NW European theatre AFVs and maps  - Europe and the Western Desert are potentially whole new frontiers for SF. As far as I'm concerned, SF came of age when the modders got to work and there's a lot of life in her yet.

Gotta go - have some mission testing to finish in my definitely non-abandoned install of SF!

Lord Haw-Haw
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Lord Haw-Haw on Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:55 pm

I put SF in the IL2-1946 abandoned category.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:00 pm

Exactly, and well put. Il-2 1946 is another 'oldie' that's still in the 'best in breed' class and looks like staying there a long while. And all the better from now having extensive ETO PTO and MTO content, as well as Eastern Front:

frinik

Post by frinik on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:26 am

Stah, I know there are older games from the 90s and 80s still being played  I was talking about 3D stuff which can be called realistic games. Panzer Elite is from 1998 and is probably one of the few modern 3 D games .

Iron Front and i44 mods for Arma2 CO/Arma 3 are excellent mods well made .The tanking is not bad with excellent sounds, very nice models and superb and huge maps. However in terms of physcis and ballistics Steel Fury is much better. I'll make a vid to show you how the i44 mod and Iron Front1944  feel like.  If Bohemia Interactive - which is a very serious and professional simulator maker - would channel their energy into making a decent tank simulator out of their Arma games then it would truly be define the tank simulator scene. The Arma games are true tactical, combined arms simulators without any real competition in the field. For those of you who think Steel Fury or Steel Armour Blaze of War have a tough learning curve try Arma 2 and tell me about it!They are not military shooters like Battlefield, Call of Duty, or Counterstrike variety .However , unfortunately, BI has never really responded to their fans request .......

Stah

Post by Stah on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:08 pm

frinik wrote:Stah, I know there are older games from the 90s and 80s still being played  I was talking about 3D stuff which can be called realistic games.

But of courrrse, as Poirot would say Smile My remark was just half-joke, so to say.

Iron Front Liberation? This game is responsible for my summer-autumn pause in playing SF. I did lots of scripting here (scripting in ArmA engine is amazing, feels like programming sometimes Smile ), played with infantry (I'm in process of big-scale sneak-in mission attempt, kilometers in enemy area, various (random) tasks changing through the mission, fully randomized enemy units generation in a vicinty of player (lots of coefficents there) - including road transports, airplanes, fully randomized resources too... I love full randomization, in SF too, no linear missions with a stiff list of "tasks").

I drove tanks in IF a lot, and I agree - in visual/sound aspects they're unbeatable by SF (and - of course - the commanding aspect, and communication aspect, the possibility to get off a tank and just shoot with you pistol, or get in another tank... Superb!), but other than that - its almost arcade. After sitting in an SF tank again I just shouted: "...I'm really in a tank now!!" Very Happy
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:52 pm

Yeah and the i44 mod for Arma 2 as superb as it is - if you have played it Stah - also really arcade in many respects and yet so immersive ion others. It's unfortunate because like Steel Fury all Arma games ( or derived like IF 1944)have very user-friendly mission editors and you can play MP with bots or real persons as well which unfortunately SF does not offer.

Me too despite the small maps , lacklustre game engine and terrible optimization I always go back to SF for a real WW2 immersion.

SGT J

Post by SGT J on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:12 pm

Speaking as a new member who was introduced to Steel Fury through the YouTube videos, I am very pleased to have found it.  I just wish I had found it sooner.

As others have said, the extensive catalog of vehicles and scenarios is one of the things that makes it so entertaining and fun to play, even if trying to lead you platoon is difficult, if not impossible at times.

Of course, one can always wish for more!  Any chance of getting a M4A1 into the game... maybe with a scenario of trying to fight through the French hedgerows?  Sorry, I had to ask.Smile

Thanks.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:48 pm

SGT J wrote:Any chance of getting a M4A1 into the game... maybe with a scenario of trying to fight through the French hedgerows? 
    OK, why not Smile Here's a topic with mission request:
    http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t220-mission-request
    Just write down a couple words how mission should work.

Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker on Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:49 pm

33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:18 pm

SGT J wrote:Speaking as a new member who was introduced to Steel Fury through the YouTube videos, I am very pleased to have found it.  I just wish I had found it sooner.

As others have said, the extensive catalog of vehicles and scenarios is one of the things that makes it so entertaining and fun to play, even if trying to lead you platoon is difficult, if not impossible at times.

Of course, one can always wish for more!  Any chance of getting a M4A1 into the game... maybe with a scenario of trying to fight through the French hedgerows?  Sorry, I had to ask.Smile

Thanks.

Nice idea. 'Barkmann's corner' would be an interesting mission to play from both sides, for example. More Normandy missions would be great for SF, preferably in the form of small campaigns for the German, British and US armies. Like Panzer Elite+Britpak. So far I think we have only one normandy map, based on Villers Bocage. It might be possible to adapt this to suit several missions.

Technopiper

Post by Technopiper on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:45 pm

Everything dies. There will be fewer players of Steel Fury. I play less of it now, mainly because of Graviteam Tactics. But I still play it at least twice a month. Only just rediscovered the absolutely brilliant Pz. III and T-60 campaigns.

Stah

Post by Stah on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:55 am

Technopiper wrote: the absolutely brilliant Pz. III and T-60 campaigns.

I love the underrated, little cuties like T-60 and T-70. Swift, agile, fast-shooting... Light stuff can be fun!

Technopiper

Post by Technopiper on Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:23 am

Stah wrote:I love the underrated, little cuties like T-60 and T-70. Swift, agile, fast-shooting... Light stuff can be fun!
    Yup, and Pz. I and II, and SdKfz 234. Anything that can be killed that easily has to be fun. Very Happy

Retrofly

Post by Retrofly on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:11 pm

Well i just found this game and love it, so you are still getting new players.

I've played GT:OS for ages and somehow never knew this existed, its Op Star, but I get to drive the tanks!

I'd just like to say thanks to the modders, community and Lockie, the extra content is superb. I'll be sure to tell people about SF if they are interested in tanks Sims!

My only wish is for multiplayer, same with OS, Graviteam need to get on the MP train, choo choo!
    frinik

Post by frinik on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:17 pm

They won't get on that train because :

1) They ain't interested in it

2) it's a huge investment in time , resources and money which they don't have....

Retrofly

Post by Retrofly on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:19 pm

frinik wrote:They won't get on that train because :

1) They ain't interested in it

2) it's a huge investment in time , resources and money which they don't have....

Crying or Very sad

I know plenty of people interested in Militarysim, Arma, IL2 etc this seems right up their street.

2) I wouldnt say it was a lot of time or money, SF is only £15, and it took in just saturday to get the game and install the mods, would have been quicker if I had found STA first Very Happy

I also Admin the GT:OS subreddit, its not a very big community but I'll try and stir up some love there too Smile.

FYI I saw this guys video which got me hooked onto SF, previously he'd covered just Op Star.
    [edit]Not allowed ot post linsk for 7 days[/edit]
    frinik

Post by frinik on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:38 pm

I wouldnt say it was a lot of time or money, SF is only £15, and it took in just saturday to get the game and install the mods, would have been quicker if I had found STA first Very Happy

Whatever money you paid not a cent goes to Graviteam they were screwed out of their money and their rights by Discus the Russian distributor who went belly up 2 years after the game came out.

Retrofly

Post by Retrofly on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:55 pm

Strange, so all the money goes to gamersgate?

I guess that's why SF isn't advertised as being available on gamersgate on the Graviteam website.

TBH I'd be more happy if the £15 went to STA Very Happy
    frinik

Post by frinik on Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:36 am

Then You can still make a donation!Check with Txema he is in charge of contributions to STA.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:40 am