Latest topics

» STA(Steel Tank Add-on) 3.2 (Steel Fury)
by lockie Yesterday at 1:42 pm

» The Sun Comes Up, the Sun Goes Down
by woofiedog Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:17 pm

» Variants of the "Sherman"
by mechanic Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:19 pm

» The Soviet Story
by Tanker Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:15 pm

» Легкий танк Т-50/Light tank T-50
by will73 Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:19 pm

» Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)
by lockie Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:57 am

» Lieutenant Z. Kolobanova "To Stand to the Death!" Battle of Voiskovitsy
by frinik Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 am

» Ukraine fights against enemy.
by lockie Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:17 pm

» Video from SF
by geoweb35 Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:00 pm

November 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

LODs in Vehicle Config

KurtTank
    Silver Tools
    Silver Tools

LODs in Vehicle Config

Post by KurtTank on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:18 am

What are LODs? I see this in the STA_units file for some vehicles, and looked at your sticky/explanation of Vehicle Configuration, but am curious what it is:

pantherg()
    {
     //object/vehicle type, mark on the map
     type    =   %OT_TANK%;
     //mesh (*.go) filename
     mesh   =   pantherg;
     //number of LODs, 3 Lods is the most wanted. Works with fewer but more lods is better!
     mesh_lods=   2;

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    KurtTank
    Silver Tools
    Silver Tools

Re: LODs in Vehicle Config

Post by KurtTank on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:57 am

Donken wrote:Lods are short for Level Of Detail. It is a trick used by the gaming industry to remove unnecesary computing power in games, It works so at depending on how far away the camera is from the object it removes polygons at a predefined low poly model. Usually its baked in one single model file as SF is using but is actually 3 seperate models. It works automaticly. At lod1 you have a fully detailed model, at lod3 you have a very lowpoly model, and at 500m you dont see the difference because the model is soo small. It is not needed to have a 16 sided or even 20 sided wheel, or bolt, screws etc on something you cannot see. In some cases you can remove items complete. So in the end you have 2 models and one with only half the polys but the countour of it at 500m is exactly the same! Cool huh! ;D

In Steel Fury however it doesnt make such a big difference (i tested it out), there are other things that effect fps more). There is a hardcoded limit at 65500~ polygons (32bit program) and that is with the lods included. Also important to remember it counts the whole image you are seeing, so terrain, flowers, trees, smoke etc are counted.

But today the graphics card can render several billion (yes you read right, Billion) polygons each second, as an example an old GTX560 gpu can render 2 Billion polygons in a game each frame.

Thanks for the explanation! So a LOD1 eats up computing power, and that may limit how many units you can fit in the mission. Is it necessary to fix the hard-coded limit issue?

Any other ways to make the game more stable at higher end missions? Even scaling back my mission to very limited numbers of troops hasn't helped with the stutter issues when artillery is falling, but at least the game isn't crashing! My original mission included 400+ troops along with 60 or so vehicles and guns, and it was running fine until I overloaded it. Now for some reason the game isn't as stable as before. Any advice?

Spoiler:
    By the way, Donken, I ran across a video of a Balkan guy who emigrated to Sweden, and now is pretty anti-Muslim and concerned about the number of Middle East immigrants coming into the country. Wondering what you think:

http://joeforamerica.com/2015/10/watch-this-angry-foreigner-heres-what-happened-in-sweden-when-muslim-immigrants-swarmed-their-country/?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=shr&utm_campaign=COTR
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:59 am

Kurt , what I have noticed in 7 years of playing this game is that the sound causes as much stutters as the graphics demand of the game. Many times what you experience as stutter is caused by the sounds for shots or explosions as much as by the smoke or other effects.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:10 pm

I agree with you wholeheartedly with you Donken( re your spoiler) .Your stupid, falsely idealistic, bleeding heart, leftist peace-mongers politicians are taking your country from one people looked up to to one which has people shaking their heads and thinking thank God we are not Sweden! Charity starts at home and a country that gives more to economic refugees with a sense of entitlement and no sense of gratitude than to its own people is doomed to fail.....
    KurtTank
    Silver Tools
    Silver Tools

Post by KurtTank on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:47 pm

frinik wrote:Kurt , what I have noticed in 7 years of playing this game is that the sound causes as much stutters as the graphics demand of the game. Many times what you experience as stutter is caused by the sounds for shots or explosions as much as by the smoke or other effects.

Very true, even if the explosion (often tanks cooking off) is far away, it still causes studder. The interesting thing is when I had my huge mission full of vehicles, art, and inf, it wasn't near as prominent as now. I suspected something was wrong with my computer, so I took it back to the last Windows update on 10/5/15. It seemed to help some, but I still get more stutters now than when the mission was much bigger.

KurtTank
    Silver Tools
    Silver Tools

Post by KurtTank on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:01 am

[quote="Donken"]It always make a difference on how many units you are using, lower is always going to be better. But in this case the difference is something else. Artillery have afaik always been a bottleneck in the game. My best bet would be to remove or use them a little bit more cautionly or just one barrage every other minute or something.
    This game engine is very very poorly optimized, artillery needs lots of calculations, takes many drawcalls, the sound engine, terrain deformation, spalling and so on.[/spoiler]

Agreed. The ironic and puzzling thing to me is after I had that massive mission crashing at it's limits, I scaled it back from having something like 20 art fire missions of 8 guns x 10 shots each (the effect was amazing to watch and devastating to the town/defensive positions), to barely three art bat of 8 x 30 or something, and it was still crashing for a while. Now, after scaling the whole mission back and re-downloading/installing all the mods, at least it's not crashing! Thanks for the info!

Donken wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Yes i am very worried about my own country, The governement is crap and stupid. I have no idea how they are thinking, if at all?!, and the media, oh god, they are spreading lie after lie so we the ppl open our hearts even more and pour even more money on these poor ppl. But they never talk about the concequences!  A 10 year old person with some basic mathskills can figure out we have a problem. We have 10k spaces for ppl to accept looking for asylum. But no, we accept 100k ppl instead. What about the other 90k ppl? I know what happens. Criminality, Rape, thievery, homeless kids, alkohol, terrorism and so on. It is a fact that when a big group of ppl are not happy and bored at the same time, big bad things happens. Sweden has gone from a top country to a country when the Swedish ppl are starting to get in minority, the schoolsystem is collapsing, we are loosing money etc. So yes, i am from whole my heart very worried! I have sooo much to explain/discuss about this if you want ^^

The same damn thing is happening here with our dictator-in-chief and the clowns on the Left, who think the best model for government is in Europe, not in the US. I, for one, do not want 40-60% taxes going to people who don't want to work or who want to change the current legal/religious/social system to something they want. Immigrants should (IMHO) assimilate into the culture of the country, like my German ancestors did (giving up the language and mostly the culture within one generation at least) when they came to America.

KurtTank
    Silver Tools
    Silver Tools

Post by KurtTank on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:03 am

frinik wrote:I agree with you wholeheartedly with you Donken( re your spoiler) .Your stupid, falsely idealistic, bleeding heart, leftist peace-mongers politicians are taking your country from one people looked up to to one which has people shaking their heads and thinking thank God we are not Sweden! Charity starts at home and a country that gives more to economic refugees with a sense of entitlement and no sense of gratitude than to its own people is doomed to fail.....

Agreed. It's exactly what the US is doing, dishonoring military veterans and handing out freebies to people flooding across the border and demanding benefits from the rest of us!

KurtTank
    Silver Tools
    Silver Tools

Post by KurtTank on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:05 am

Donken wrote:Yeah, they are pissing at my grandfathers grave by doing what they do now! He fought, bleed, invested 70 years of taxes for a free and good small country, made a family etc and now they are giving it away for nothing. He is probably crying now down in the grave with all other great fathers of hes generation. Sweden is going back to step one because of a few insane people!

So true. It's happening everywhere in the name of progress.......Phoey! Evil or Very Mad

KurtTank
    Silver Tools
    Silver Tools

Post by KurtTank on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:09 am

Donken wrote:There is a hardcoded limit at 65500~ polygons (32bit program) and that is with the lods included.

Any fix for this issue?

KurtTank
    Silver Tools
    Silver Tools

Post by KurtTank on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:55 am

Donken wrote:Im afraid its not. The only way to fix it would be to do a 64bit game engine and that is never ever gonna happen with steel fury!

Maybe someone with money will get the engine so the forum can upgrade it! cheers
    frinik

Post by frinik on Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:18 am

Where are we going to get the engine? These are pipe dreams. All distributors of Steel Fury went bankrupt 6 years ago and Graviteam doe snot won the game anymore and has no interest in SF....Stop dreaming guys because you are going to be sorely disappointed.
    KurtTank
    Silver Tools
    Silver Tools

Post by KurtTank on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:04 am

frinik wrote:Where are we going to get the engine? These are pipe dreams. All distributors of Steel Fury went bankrupt 6 years ago and Graviteam doe snot won the game anymore and has no interest in SF....Stop dreaming guys because you are going to be sorely disappointed.

It was more tongue-in-cheek than serious, Frinik. The chances are slim to none of ever getting the engine.......but if someone could.... Razz

frinik

Post by frinik on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Ok if it was said just in jest then fine....But be careful what you say boy????GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Twisted Evil
    KurtTank
    Silver Tools
    Silver Tools

Post by KurtTank on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:40 am

frinik wrote:Ok if it was said just in jest then fine....But be careful what you say boy????GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Twisted Evil

Okay! cheers lol! flower jocolor

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:29 am