Latest topics

» T-34/85/D5Т
by mechanic Today at 12:49 pm

» Missions by Deviator (Місії ад Девіатора)
by lockie Today at 8:26 am

» Calculation of the armor penetration
by mechanic Yesterday at 6:56 am

» STA3.2 settings are not saved
by mechanic Yesterday at 6:54 am

» Airplane shotdown!
by Glushak Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:16 pm

» Campaign "The Nazi power" (Pz.VI "Tiger")
by lockie Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:53 am

» Terminated russian occupants in Ukraine
by lockie Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:16 pm

» Танк Пантера Д/А/Г/ Panther ausf.D,A,G
by will73 Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:30 pm

» Movie The Man with the Iron Heart
by plug_nickel Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:28 pm

October 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Campaign "The Nazi power" (Pz.VI "Tiger")

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:32 pm

There is a compilation under the name "Pz.VI" , which consist of the four missions. Again, it is a pure replica, but with Pz.VI tanks instead Pz.IV.
    First I wanted to move all four missions to the common compilation, but later I decided to make smth. similar to the "StuG III" Campaign.
    So, I've named Campaign as "The Nazi Power" and the data will be June 1943, Panzer Grenadier Division Grossdeutschland, XLVIII Panzer Corps, Fourth Panzer Army commanded by Lieutenant-General Hermann Hoth. User will be associated with Wehrmacht officer Lieutenant Heinz Auert, who is Commander of the Tiger's platoon.

Mission N1, video presented by Geoweb35

Here's my version of the briefing:
    briefing:

Initial situation/Початкова ситуація:
    Panzer Grenadier Division Grossdeutschland, XLVIII Panzer Corps, Fourth Panzer Army commanded by Hermann Hoth, East of Achtyrka, 4th July 1943.\n\n

Combat order/Бойова задача:
    Eliminate enemy forces in the area around Achtyrka and capture the village.

Your Task/Ваша задача:
    You are Lieutenant Heinz Auert. There are three tanks Pz.VI ausf.H "Tiger" under your command. Your platoon is the center of the attack. You have to:
    1. Attack Achtyrka.
    2. Eliminate the enemy and secure the village.

Primary Objectives:
    - destroy the enemy in the area around Achtyrka
    - destroy anti-tank units and MG nests
    - break the enemy barricades

Artillery Support:
    Fire missions will be launched against enemy units in the Achtyrka and Kaplunowka areas.

Air Support:
    The Luftwaffe will cover Division Grossdeutschland on the move and will attack enemy positions around Achtyrka and on the eastern bank of the Gusynka River.

Reconnaissance/Розвідка:
    Yesterday's assault has pushed the enemy into the defensive and forced them to the eastern bank of the Gusynka River. In the early morning hours of 5 July, the Red Army's 1st and 3rd Mechanized Brigades of Major-General S.M. Krivoshein's III Mechanized Corps, reinforced by a regiment of the 90th Guards Rifle Division and the remains of the 67th Guards Rifle Division have seized the Achtyrka strongpoint and established an additional defense lines.

The commander of the Fourth Panzer Army Lieutenant-General Hermann Hoth
    The commander of the Panzer Grenadier Division Grossdeutschland Generalmajor Walter Hornlein.

The history note will be based on the fragment from the book:
    HISTORY'S GREATEST TANK BATTLE, JULY 1943
    by NIK CORNISH

The Grossdeutschland Division was up against the dug-in 1st and 3rd Mechanized Brigades of Major-General S.M. Krivoshein's III Mechanized Corps, reinforced by a regiment of the 90th Guards Rifle Division and the remains of the 67th Guards Rifle Division. The Soviet tanks numbered 100 or so. However, they were only part of the defensive belt, a clear picture of which can be gained from the extract from the Grossdeutschland's history:
    ...the panzers reported that the advance was proceeding smoothly and that the area south of Dubrova (on the Lukhanino River) could be taken. However, a heavy tank battle developed in the broad cornfields and flat terrain there against the Bolsheviks grimly defending their second line of resistance. Earth bunkers, deep positions with built-in flamethrowers, and especially well dug-in T-34s excellently camouflaged made the advance extremely difficult. German losses mounted, especially among the panzers. The infantry fought their way grimly through the in-depth defence zone, trying to clear the way for the panzers. Finally that evening the brave panzergrenadiers of I Battalion under Major Remer were able to advance by Dubrova and take Hill 247.2 where they dug in ... it appeared that the breakthrough had not yet succeeded, instead the attackers were still sitting in the midst of the enemy defence zone.
    "All attempts by the Germans to continue the offensive in a northern direction were thwarted by the stubborn resistance by units of Colonel V.G. Chernov's 90th Rifle Division, and by First Tank Army's VI Tank and III Mechanized Corps, which had occupied prepared defences in the second line".

Mission N2

Last edited by lockie on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:27 pm; edited 6 times in total
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Campaign "The Nazi power" (Pz.VI "Tiger")

Post by 33lima on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:48 pm

I think we need something that sets the scene with a more personal touch, and does not describe the battle from a detached, historical view, written after the events. Less detail of enemy unit numbers or commanders, which might not have been known (or relevant) to someone in the player's position. Less of a mini history lesson. Something more dramatic, which might have been written at the time but still gives a sense of time and place, of history ABOUT to be made, like this:

4 July 1943 - Day 1 of Unternehmen Zitadelle, on the southern sector of the Kursk salient. [should it not be 5th July?] Your division, the famous Grossdeutschland, will today attack two dug-in Soviet Mechanised Brigades, part of the great offensive which in the coming days will decide the future course of the war in the east. The flat terrain and broad cornfields up ahead of you will be dominated by earth bunkers and dug-in T-34s and A/T guns, sited in depth and camouflaged with the usual Soviet skill in defence. You and your comrades of the Grossdeutschland will need all the skill and determination you can muster, to smash a way through such defences.

Lord Haw-Haw
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Lord Haw-Haw on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:23 pm

All sounds this great!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:38 am

33lima wrote:I think we need something that sets the scene with a more personal touch, and does not describe the battle from a detached, historical view, written after the events.
    OK, sounds good. Mentioned note was just a sample to cheat user that mission is a real one  Cool

4 July 1943 - Day 1 of Unternehmen Zitadelle, on the southern sector of the Kursk salient. [should it not be 5th July?]
    As I've understood,  Grossdeutschland started attack at 4th July, 1943.

And here's insignia ("Helmet"), which will be placed on the unit to prove user he has a real deal Very Happy
    Also there will be three platoons with a different numbers: 101-103, 205-207, 303-305.

Here's map and history note. The short variant suggested by 33lima will be presented in the briefing. (Though, I've a huge doubts that anybody will read it Very Happy)
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:40 pm

I've decided to add at least one original mission to the replica-Campaign, coz cheating user with all replica missions would be, how to say - overdid Smile
    Mission will be based on the polygon "Kashara". It was a real story. This hill was protected for a long time by the Soviet troops, but finally it was captured.
    German side
    1. 6xPz.VI
    2. 6xPz.III N + infantry platoon
    3. 2xGrenadier platoon
    4. 3xJu-87
    5. artillery support

Soviet side
    1. 4xInfantry platoon
    2. 5xT-34/43 (dig-in)
    3. 6xATG (depends on balance)
    4. 6xT-70 (reserve)

Mission will be kinda "easy walking". So, any user feel free to make mission harder at any early desire.
    Here's a couple screens.
    Blue arrows are directions of the German attack. User will be in the left group.

Defended by the Soviet troops area.

Grossdeutchland before attack starting.

So, we have now: 1 original mission+4 replica. There are 5 slots empty. Any suggestions to fill up with?

Last edited by lockie on Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    col.moore

Post by col.moore on Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:53 pm

I've just fund this documentary about the Army Group Centre.. it have a few very interesting combat footage:
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Perhaps Rends Kursk missions (Tiger + StuG III defense [maybe change user vehicle to Tiger + 1 AI Tiger; maybe alone on higher difficulties?]) and the Combat Episodes mission West of Kharkov would fit? Smile
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:49 pm

Well, since you are doing a Gerossdeutschland set, why not make that division the theme?

Are there existing missions which could fit with this, by changing unit names in briefings and maybe using winter terrain eg Third Battle of Kharkov prior to Kursk with Panzer III J or the defensive battles after Kursk with the Tiger again?

Pointer

Post by Pointer on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:55 pm

lockie wrote:Also there will be three platoons with a different numbers: 101-103, 205-207, 303-305.

July 1943 is too early for Zimmerit version (appeared in December 1943)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmerit
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:57 pm

kapulA wrote:Perhaps Rends Kursk missions (Tiger + StuG III defense) and the Combat Episodes mission West of Kharkov would fit? Smile
    This is interesting suggestion. Could u note the mission number of the Kursk mission? I'll have a look what does West of Kharkov.

33lima wrote:Well, since you are doing a Gerossdeutschland set, why not make that division the theme?
    I just need to name Campaign somehow. "Nazi power" is a common name for the four replica missions Smile Grossdeutchland  division occurred to me accidentally, when I looked over acceptable history note. And idea with a new theme sounds reasonable. So, what the Campaign name will be?
    - Grossdeutchland power
    - 10 moments of "Grossdeutchland"
    - "GrossDeutschland" uber alles

Are there existing missions which could fit with this, by changing unit names in briefings and maybe using winter terrain eg Third Battle of Kharkov prior to Kursk
    Could u be more detailed. Which missions do u mean?

There's mission ""Machine head" (2xTiger on the polygon Siivertsy). Suppose, this one will suit also.

Pointer wrote:July 1943 is too early for Zimmerit version (appeared in December 1943)
    U're right. Should I place Tiger with a "desert camo"? Sad
    I've found in my archive two textures:

Unfortunately, both of them are with zimmerite Sad

What abt. this one?

Lord Haw-Haw
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Lord Haw-Haw on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:22 pm

col.moore wrote:I've just fund this documentary about the Army Group Centre.. it have a few very interesting combat footage:

I have collected a lot of YouTube "Tank" videos on my YouTube channel, just search for my user name Lord Haw-Haw
    Pointer

Post by Pointer on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:15 pm

I think this is the best Tiger's camo for Unternehmen Zitadelle

Pointer

Post by Pointer on Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:27 pm

lockie wrote:I just need to name Campaign somehow. "Nazi power" is a common name for the four replica missions Smile Grossdeutchland  division occurred to me accidentally, when I looked over acceptable history note. And idea with a new theme sounds reasonable. So, what the Campaign name will be?
    - Grossdeutchland power
    - 10 moments of "Grossdeutchland"
    - "GrossDeutschland" uber alles

What u think about just simply "Zitadelle (South)" ?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:27 am

Pointer wrote:I think this is the best Tiger's camo for Unternehmen Zitadelle
    OK, though this camo is more suitable for the "desert missions".

Pointer wrote:What u think about just simply "Zitadelle (South)" ?
    Well, it'll be too pretentious to name fake missions as "Zitadelle".
    Grossdeutchland is more preferable, coz it's just a local name and there are some episodes where possibly this division took part. Besides I want user to be associated with one person (for the all missions) from this division. And finally I prefer smth. new and unusual Smile "Zitadelle" sounds kinda boringly.
    I like: 10 moments of "Grossdeutchland".
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Here's a briefing:

Initial situation/Початкова ситуація:
    4 July 1943 - Day 1 of Unternehmen Zitadelle, on the southern sector of the Kursk salient. Your division, the famous Grossdeutschland, will today attack two dug-in Soviet Mechanised Brigades, part of the great offensive, which in the coming days will decide the future course of the war in the east. The flat terrain and broad cornfields up ahead of you will be dominated by earth bunkers and dug-in T-34s and AT guns, sited in depth and camouflaged with the usual Soviet skill in defence. You and your comrades of the Grossdeutschland will need all the skill and determination you can muster, to smash a way through such defences.

Combat order/Бойова задача:
    There are two battle groups from the 13th Company, 3rd Panzer Battalion, Grossdeutschland Division, which will start attack at 08:00 AM. The first group under Lieutenant Heinz Auert is located on the left flank, the second one under Lieutenant Walter Kloss is located on the right flank. Both group will be supported with SPW Panzergrenadier platoon and tanks Pz.III N. The main task is: capture the Hill 257.0 and secure the area.

Your Task/Ваша задача:
    You are Lieutenant Heinz Auert. There are three tanks Pz.VI ausf.H "Tiger" under your command.
    Your platoon is located on the left flank of the attack together with Pz.III N tank platoon and Grenadiers.
    Your tank platoon will move first to clear the way for the infantry and SPW's. When you will be ready, then transmit a message: THE SKY IS CLEAR.
    That will be attack signal for the rest of the group. Grenadiers moves the last in line. You primary objective is:
    1. Attack Hill 257.0 and capture it.

Callsigns/Позивні:
    HQ - OAK
    Your platoon - FOX
    Kloss' platoon - MAULTIER

Artillery Support:
    Fire support will be launched against enemy units on the Hill 257.0 area.

Air Support/Авіація:
    The Luftwaffe will cover Third Panzer Battalion on the move and will attack an enemy positions on the Hill 257.0.

Reconnaissance/Розвідка:
    The Hill is defended with the next forces:
    - two AT battery (76mm)
    - platoon T-34 (dig-in)
    - infantry company

The Commander of the 3rd Panzer Battalion Major Kurt Gomille.\n\n

The Commander of the Panzer Grenadier Division Grossdeutschland Generalmajor Walter Hornlein.

PS
    Finally, all SPW(Schützenpanzerwagen) received a personal insignia   alien

PPS
    What abt. such camo?
    Pointer

Post by Pointer on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:38 pm

About callsiggns
    Generally, unless exact original historic callsigns are known, IMO the best solution is to put into briefing the same names which will be used by the game engine in post-mission statistics. Or, at least, those post-mission names should be additionally shown in the brackets.
    I.e. Player's unit - "Crazy Horse" (Jaguar 1)

About Tiger's camo
    I don't understand: there is no anything like "camo for mission", is it?
    If u ask about default Tiger's camos, IMO currently existing are VERY GOOD.
    MaxFH
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by MaxFH on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:59 pm

lockie wrote:

Чому така велика площа тіні від танка?
    Потрібно щось з цим зробити.
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Both camos are alright, so maybe you could add a random variation for the Tiger mid model platoon which chooses between either of those, for variation. I'm thinking of creating another Tiger camo (dark yellow with brown stripes, as seen here http://www.alanhamby.com/painter/50543.jpg ), so once that is done we could have a Tiger platoon with 3 different camo schemes? Smile

Last edited by kapulA on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:51 pm

Pointer wrote:About callsiggns
    IMO the best solution is to put into briefing the same names which will be used by the game engine in post-mission statistics.
    I did it to some extent Smile
    Here's the default names of the German side:
    Tiger; Jaguar; Leopard; Panther; Elefant; Marder; Maultier; Biber; Anakonda; Viper; Bussard; Wolf; Fuchs; Eber; Luchs; Muskrat; Habicht; Adler; Krokodil; Falke
    The reason why did I use OAK and FOX is simple. I'll be completely confused with Wolf, Muskrat, Biber or whatever Very Happy
    OAK is strong means HQ.
    FOX is quick and tricky - user
    MAULTIER - is dumb means AI  Razz
    Unfortunately, u can't force the game to adopt preferable names. Each time u get the differ name after mission statistics.

About Tiger's camo
    I don't understand: there is no anything like "camo for mission", is it?
    If u ask about default Tiger's camos, IMO currently existing are VERY GOOD.
    Well, why don't we use by any chance to get more variable camo? We've a time and desire. So, it's a matter of time when it'll be implemented.
    Something, like this:

MaxFH wrote:
    Чому така велика площа тіні від танка?
    Потрібно щось з цим зробити.
    Помилки під час конвертації. Щоб виправити, треба мати модель, ротім розібрати її, виправити все і знов зібрати. Досвідченому моделеру знадобиться десь три дні, щоб таке зробити. Це на дуже далеку перспективу.
    Big shadow is indicator that conversion from 3D Max to *.go format had errors.

kapulA wrote:Both camos are alright, so maybe you could add a random variation for the Tiger mid model platoon which chooses between either of those, for variation.
    It's possible! But first we need a new camo Wink

I'm thinking of creating another Tiger camo (dark yellow with brown stripes, as seen here http://www.alanhamby.com/painter/50543.jpg), so once that is done we could have a Tiger platoon with 3 different camo schemes? Smile
    This is great idea! In fact, Panther G has the same base: 3x Panther G (each has a dif. camo)
    If u give a try to the new Tiger' camo, here's I've found authentic Grossdeutchland Tiger! Cool
    www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer-VI_Tiger.php
    Ausf.E early type, 3rd SS. Panzergrenadier Division, GrossDeutschland, Kursk, summer 1943.

Ausf.E, early type, from the 2nd SS Panzergrenadier Division, Kursk, July 1943.

There is already prepared camo by Whukid, but the link is dead Sad So, if someone has this archive then re-upload it, plz and I'll fix the link at the first page of STA topic.
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:18 pm

You can use these two initially, with a third one once someone makes it (I think I have Whukid's Tiger skin, I'll have to check).

lockie wrote:
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:03 pm

That looks rather good, Lockie, this is one of the best briefings I have seen for an SF mission - short but well-presented  - even if it's not in my preferred NATO format Smile

I particularly like the way, using just a few words, you have described the mission for the player's 'mixed company'.

I would suggest a couple of things:

- don't make the grenadiers walk all the way from the Start Line to their objective. Better they ride in their SPWs and 'de-bus' just before the objective before assaulting on foot. If it is too dangerous to ride because of tank or AT fire covering the ground in between, they should ride, but the move needs covered by smoke (or they need to use a route which gives them cover till the last minute, not just advance over open ground, even tho they have tank support in front); and

- position the defenders on a reverse slope (or in defiladed positions). They should not have long fields of fire into the front of the advancing enemies, but short ones, from 'dead ground' - and into the enemy flanks, preferably. This also makes it easier for the grenadiers to ride to the objective - their problems should start when they get there!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:33 am

33lima wrote:That looks rather good, Lockie, this is one of the best briefings I have seen for an SF mission - short but well-presented
    I've a good teacher Smile

I would suggest a couple of things:
    - don't make the grenadiers walk all the way from the Start Line to their objective.
    I did my best. I can't force SPW moves with desant on the board to the objective, coz idiotic AI can't find the way through the barrages. I can't even fix the polygon, coz I don't have source files. If author SVN of this polygon could share with me source code then possibly I could fix the bugs.

- position the defenders on a reverse slope (or in defiladed positions). They should not have long fields of fire into the front of the advancing enemies
    Already did. U'll be surprised with defence of the enemy Wink

And there are some screenshots from the new mission. It has the name:
    Kashara, 4 July 1943, 08:00 (Pz.VI "Tiger")

I was sure the mission will be "easy walking", coz nobody can beat my Tiger!
    But I was wrong Very Happy
    I started as Commander and pretty soon mission over.

OK, suppose it was just accident Smile Second try - result the same. Third try I was as Driver - of course, mission over  Rolling Eyes  What the hell??? I've checked out driver's place and it has bug. When u press "G" (gunsight cover) for some reason the hatch of the frontal slit is opened!? Well, Tiger is not my favor tank, that's why I didn't pay attention to this model, except dull yellow texture. I've added some dark spots as original Tiger 131 has.
    Soon, I've lost the number of tries and decided to change the balance. Finally, I started at the balance "0" (I'm not kidding) and only in this case, I've manged to finish mission successfully Cool
    Here's the order of execution:
    My platoon "clear the area" for the grenadiers attacking.

Attack!

Request for the smoke cover

Near the Hill

On the Hill

Victory!

It is not bad for the "Mickie Mouse" Smile

My losses were terrible. I've lost all my crew members, all grenadiers and tanks, except a couple damaged. It's out of saying that for such "victory" I would immediately have been sent to the "Himmelfahrtskommando" Very Happy

To summarize: mission is very hard. I recommend to start from the balance "0", then move to the "6". U've to watch on er wingmen to follow with u. Be very attentive and before attack destroy on the Hill as more targets as u can. The distance is ~1km, so it is a challenge to hit covered gun from such distance. Mission will be available at STA2.0, October Upd 2015.

PS
    There will be kinda Easter Egg - the trigger of achievement. It does, if u manage to keep a losses less than 3 times, then u'l get message: U'll be rewarded with Iron Cross for the great victory!

Last edited by lockie on Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:39 pm

Another thought - iirc, 33lima already commented somewhere that the existing Panzer III N (Hot Summer 1 & 2) missions would also be good if the user's platoon was a Tiger plt, so maybe those could also be included?

I for one would love to try them in a Tiger, the missions seem well suited to that kind of combat! Smile

Last edited by kapulA on Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:55 pm

kapulA wrote:Another though - iirc, 33lima already commented somewhere that the existing Panzer III N (Hot Summer 1 & 2) missions would also be good if the user's platoon was a Tiger plt, so maybe those could also be included?
    Great idea! I've completely forgotten abt. this missions. The first "summer I" will be ideal, coz there are Tigers in the front of attack. We just need assigned user to Tiger instead Pz.IIIN and tweak a bit the script: balance, briefing etc.
    Second mission doesn't suit. It is a short distance and no area for the Tiger' power.
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Well yeah, but historically tanks were often used in areas which weren't well suited to their strengths (armor in the Bocage in Normandy, and around Leningrad in the forests and marshes etc), so it's not unimaginable that a Tiger platoon spearheading the main thrust would encounter an unfavorable area it had to break through - imo it's more of a challenge since the medium and light tanks the player encounters (not to mention the SU-122 and the higher caliber AT guns) have more of a chance against the Tiger. Imho it would be an interesting change of pace from the first mission which is almost perfect Tiger country, as you noted.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:43 pm