MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

"New" GMP (StuG III)/Diary of Lieutenant Erich Schulze

33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: "New" GMP (StuG III)/Diary of Lieutenant Erich Schulze

Post by 33lima on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:12 am

PS final version of mission 9 files just emailed.
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Are those supposed to be acacia trees in screen no. 4? They seem much too large, almost reminiscent of oak trees atm.

According to wiki they should be a good deal smaller and thinner, is it possible to resize them?

"B первый год жизни достигают высоты 0,75—1,5 м; на второй — 2—2,5 м, на третий — до 4—5 м при диаметре ствола 3—4 см на высоте 1 м; в возрасте 12—15 лет — 15—18 м."

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/Acacia_Negev.JPG
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:20 pm

kapulA wrote:Are those supposed to be acacia trees in screen no. 4?
    I suppose yes, but I'm not going to persist Razz
    U may change easily any trees:
    data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\obj_cfg\flora\trees.engcfg
    acacia()
    //deviation scale
    dev_scale =0.5;//length
    bias_scale=1.0;//wideness

Meanwhile, there are the new portion of the screenies from the mission n7.
    Mission is a very easy at the balance N4. U just need to be alive through the first def. line, then hide StuG between houses and shoot precisely  cherry
    Village "Bordj Chambi" already captured. I'm looking with a wingmen the good position to repel the enemy attack.

Enemy spotted!

Mission completed!

So far, we've 5 redesigned replica missions and FOUR original ones (on the original polygon)! There will be mission N8. I want to make it as a frontal attack tanks vs tanks.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:58 pm

Looking good!

PS here is a profile of one of the StuGIIIFs from the only long-barrelled StuG battery deployed to N Africa:

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:46 am

33lima wrote:here is a profile of one of the StuGIIIFs from the only long-barrelled StuG battery deployed to N Africa
    unfortunately, I don't have a "clear" texture of the StuG. I mean without camo spots. That's why I can't make a new camo, coz there is the hell a lot of work to "clear" the texture and make a new desert camo.

And here is a background picture for the Mission N8.

Mission will be a bit hard. 3xStuG under user's command moves to the point of ambush to intercept column. According to the recce data there are enemy tanks from the 8th Hussars and 4th Armoured Brigade, which will cover the column. There is also a squad of the light tanks "Stuart", which will try to capture the village.
    Victory conditions:
    - destroy US 4xTrucks

Defeat conditions:
    - village captured OR column escaped

Scenario is based on this story:
    During the night of 22-23 November 1942, tanks of I./Pz.Rgt.8 of 15.Panzer Division stumbled into the night leaguer of the 8th Hussars and the 4th Armoured Brigade headquarters. In the darkness and confusion they overwhelmed the unit, capturing the regiment's commander, 167 troops and 35 Stuart tanks. Only seven Stuarts managed to escape the debacle.
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:28 pm

I think I might have a solution to the skin problem, but I doubt I'll be able to try it before sometime around Christmas. Until then! Smile
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:41 pm

kapulA wrote:I think I might have a solution to the skin problem
    I may say it'll be a BIGGEST headache to "clear" this texture, but it'll be HIGHLY welcomed and appreciated!
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:49 pm

Yep, agree with you 100% on that. But I believe there might be a way around that altogether. We shall see! Wink
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:21 pm

Just started what may be Schulze's final mission, using the same map as 'Only the Bridge'.

Biggest problem so far is the bridge... a stone version would be an improvement...

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:41 pm

33lima wrote:Just started what may be Schulze's final mission, using the same map as 'Only the Bridge'.
    Biggest problem so far is the bridge... a stone version would be an improvement...
    It'll be mission N11!
    As for mentioned polygon it is from "Fall blau". I'd like to suggest polygon from "last panther roar" - nta_halbe. It has a stone bridge unbreakable. There is also polygon eu_m36_west mission GMP3.x "River of Doom (M-36 `Jackson`)". It has stone bridge also.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:44 pm

Thanks Lockie I will give those other maps a try!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:59 pm

33lima wrote:Thanks Lockie I will give those other maps a try!
    cheers

Meanwhile Mission N8 is near to be finished.
    It's getting morning... Three StuG's and ten Shermans inexorably approaches to each other.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:07 am

Looks like a scene from 'Out of Africa', not a tanksim!

And the M-36 mission map is looking much better for the Jagdtiger mission, more like the Rhineland and less like Siberia. This time I am trying to stop the Amis crossing the bridge, rather than crossing it myself:

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:15 pm

First time to start the mission. There are some screenies from the mission N8.

Moves to the point of Ambush.

The battle was fury and short. I've lost my StuG and didn't destroy column.

This Sherman caused to my platoon a big problem. Inspite he got two hits, he managed to destroy two StuG's.

My trophy was quite modest: two Shermans

Mission is a very easy if u play with "target marked", but it becomes hard if u uncheck this option. U've to destroy column and watch on for the enemy tanks to prevent them village capturing and of course be alive Smile
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:28 pm

Mission N11 is now presented in list of Erich' Diary Cool

Also we're planning to record the briefing, then dub the voice over short video, which will be played before mission d/l.
    Pointer

Post by Pointer on Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:46 pm

lockie wrote:Mission N11 is now presented in list of Erich' Diary Cool

1. The mission name should be "Erich Shulze's Diary (SPG)", not "(StuG III)"

2. I like the justification of mission names. Will it be applied to all campaigns and also to the campaigns window?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:12 pm

Pointer wrote:
    1. The mission name should be "Erich Shulze's Diary (SPG)", not "(StuG III)"
    It is Campaign name. I need to see 33lima opinion also.

2. I like the justification of mission names. Will it be applied to all campaigns and also to the campaigns window?
    What does "justification"? Do u mean numbering? If so, then I just tried one GMP and two Campaigns. It's possible to apply numbering to all Campaigns/GMP, but it takes too much time. Would u like to be involved?
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:24 pm

Yes I always favoured 'Erich Schuzle's Diary' as the campaign name (at least, from the point we adoptedLlockie's diary framing story suggestion - before that my suggestion was 'Erich Schulze's War'). And yes if we preserve the naming convention that the mission name helpfully indicates the vehicle(s), 'SPG' for 'Self-Propelled Gun' is a good, short abbreviation, commonly used in the English language.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:46 pm

Mission 11 looks like being the final wartime entry in Leutnant Schulze's diary.

Looking for a suitable historical basis for the Leutnant to exit in style, in a Jagdtiger, I was impressed by this page, on the 1945 exploits of schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653: http://www.thirdreichruins.com/spjabt653.htm

I decided on the period after Operation Nordwind, a follow on to the better-known Adrennes Offensive. In March 1945 the abt. fought in the Rhineland town of Schwetzingen, as described in the link. Needing to re-use an existing map, my first thought was to use the one used in another NW European mission by Lockie, 'Only the Bridge', reverseing the roles with the Germans defending the bridge and the Americans attacking.

Carefully testing the map's wooden bridge in my Jadgtiger, in the first go with the Mission Editor, indicated that a map with a stone bridge might be preferable...we were lucky not to go for an ealy bath!

So at Lockie's suggestion I started over, with the map from the M36 mission which had a stone bridge. And trees more like NW Europe than Siberia, a bonus.

Here's the mission intro, as before in the form of a diary entry:

Diary of Leutnant Erich Schulze, entry for 30 March 1945, morning.

I had hoped Normandy might be my last spell at the front, but fate has decreed otherwise! I've been posted as a replacement platoon leader to 3.Kompanie, schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653, after a quick conversion course on their new Jagdtiger. Morale is surpisingly good, considering the Allies are across the Rhine and pushing deep into what's left of the Reich. Our big panzerjager are clumsy and break down easily, but they're powerfully armed and very well armoured. The abteilung did quite well in Operation Nordwind, when we pushed back the Amis north of Strasburg, in January. We're now back north near the Rhineland town of Schwetzingen. My platoon is lucky to have three Jagdtiger operational, but the downside of that is that the boss, Major Kempferer, has found a job for us! I'm off now, to find out what it is!

And the mission briefing - sorry, I'm developing bad habits, the ORDERS for the mission...

XIII SS Armeekorps, sector of 17 SS Panzergrenadier-Division 'Gotz von Berlichingen'. HQ of 3.Kompanie, s.Pzjg-Abt 653, near Schwetzingen.

Initial Situation:
    The front remains very fluid, with US armoured spearheads harassing our forces as they withdraw north-east for the defence of Mannheim. In our sector, at least two such spearheads, in re-inforced company strength, are headed this way, threatening the nearby road bridge. This has not yet been wired for demolition and to make matters worse, the Volksturm defending it cleared off after yesterday’s air raid. Kampfgruppe von Westernhagen from 17th SS Panzergrenadier-Division is en route to secure the bridge for demolition, but they are unlikely to arrive before the Americans.

Combat Order
    Your platoon will move to the bridge and defend it until Kampfgruppe von Westernhagen arrives

Artillery support: None is available.

Air support: You know the score - the only planes in the air these days are the enemy’s.

Tasks
    Your platoon has three serviceable Jagdtiger.

You are to:
    1.       Get into fire positions overlooking the bridge.
    2.       Engage and destroy enemy forces attempting to reach it.
    3.       Hold on, until friendly forces arrive, to secure the bridge for demolition.

Get moving as soon as you’ve briefed your crews, Schulze. Your map shows the expected routes of the approaching enemy armour. They’re probably expecting the bridge to be lightly defended, so your Jagdtiger should give the Amis a nasty surprise. But conserve your ammo – it could be some time before Kampfgruppe von Westernhagen gets here. That bridge must not fall into enemy hands – defend it at all costs! And if they do make it across, wipe them out, sofort!

The mission still needs a lot of work, but my idea of a good tanksim mission is smashing up more numerous but weaker enemies in the biggest, baddest tank available, so I'm enjoying the testing so far. Here's a taster.

It's late March 1945 and schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653 is in action in the Rhineland, near Schwetzingen. The Americans have already got across the Rhine at Remagen and it looks like they're about to capture another bridge, in the chaos undefended and not yet wired for demolition. The only hope is my platoon of three serviceable Jagdtiger, tasked with holding on until a kampfgruppe of 17th SS Panzer Grenadier division can arrive, to secure the area properly. But the Amis are closer. After a hasty approach march which we hope hasn't destroyed the zero of our big but sensitive 12.8cm guns, we near the high ground overlooking the bridge. I order the platoon from column into line formation.

As the river comes into sight ahead, I order a halt, driving my own vehicle into a shallow revetment - just in time, for the leading Amis are motoring right to left along the road on the opposite bank. It's a platoon of M8 armoured cars, out on point.

Behind the light armour, the first Shermans pull off the road and turn to face us.

Our cannon have a low rate of fire, but they are pleasantly accurate. With the range set only at a 'battle sight' setting, even crossing targets can be engaged with consistently successful results.

Enemy infantry who have debussed from their half-tracks are working their way towards the bridge...

...covered by yet more Shermans...

As we engage the Shermans, some half-tracks make it over, but they and the Shermans are quickly dealt with....

Reinforcements arrive - unfortunately enemy ones, in the form of M26 Pershings. Under cover of their fire, the leading enemy infantry sprint over the bridge...this is going to be tricky...

If you want more, well, 'Patience, grasshopper!', you'll have to wait for the campaign to be released!
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Looking great! Even more so as my idea of a good tanksim mission differs somewhat from yours - really interested in seeing how the finished mission plays out, especially with the muddy winter look; damn, now you've spurred me towards creating some winterized US vehicles - when will I find the time!
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Also, d' you think it'd be too much effort to create some sort of Western-European looking village on both sides of the bridge? Something suburban-looking, maybe something similar to these images from that source on the SPzjg abt 653 (thanks for the good read, btw):

frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:54 am

I would suggest the eu_west map instead of that one as it looks much closer to the banks of the Rhine in Western Germany. Moreover it also has a stone bridge and some good defensive positions on both sides of the river. The river is continuous, not like the one on the Halbe map that you are using. Finally the river banks are sloping.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks Frinik, i'll give that a try, tho the current map has some features that are useful.

Edit - the map in the last copule of sets of screenies IS eu_m36_west, not halbe.
    Pointer

Post by Pointer on Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:05 pm

lockie wrote:
    Pointer wrote:2. I like the justification of mission names. Will it be applied to all campaigns and also to the campaigns window?
    What does "justification"? Do u mean numbering? If so, then I just tried one GMP and two Campaigns. It's possible to apply numbering to all Campaigns/GMP, but it takes too much time. Would u like to be involved?

I didn't mean numbering.
    "Justification" is a text formatting term. May be done to the left margin, right margin or both.
    I meant those extra commas at the end of each line, which resulted with the left margin justification instead of centering each line.
    But of course you are right, that doing that manually for all campaigns is too much work.
    It should be possible to do just by disabling line centering in

root\programs\k42menu.program
    or
    data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\interf\menu.engcfg.

How to do this exactly, is a good question to the author of 16:9 widescreen mode.

SGT J

Post by SGT J on Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:36 pm

I have a question about the new mission pack and was told here was the right place to ask...

I started Diary of Erich....  I dashed my tanks to a spot just off the left edge of the hill's defensive line where I could defend the hill AND had a good field of fire on the approaches to the town so I could defend that too.
    I only waited 10 or so minutes ( I had to stop the mission for other reasons), but no Russian troops came.... I sat and listened to the birds and thought I might have heard diesel engines in the distance, but it might have been the roar of the wind too.
    I'm not looking for any spoilers -- I had to stop so I could try the newest fix for Pyrgos.  I just am hoping that the scenario is working correctly and the Russians didn't get lost or stop off for some bliny. 

If this is normal, that's great I'll just make sure I have plenty of time with no expected distractions next time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:00 pm