MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

"New" mission packs (StuG III)

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: "New" mission packs (StuG III)

Post by lockie on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:48 am

Campaign with StuGIII received a new base line. Now it'll be a story from the unwritten book.. Here's a short note by 33lima:
    In 1997, in the roofspace of a house in Munich, a young man found the diaries of his late grandfather, who had never spoken of his wartime service in the Wehrmacht. These missions tell part of that story, the story of Erich Schulze's war.
    Diary of Lieutenant Erich Schulze, entry for 17 May 1942, morning.

kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Can't wait to see how lima fleshes out Schulze's war - looking promising!
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:54 pm

Well, the first four mission intros and briefings/orders are now with Lockie - the ones for the set of StuG missions in 2nd Kharkov.

To give you a fuller flavour, here is the first mission intro (not the briefing/orders) in full:

In 1997, in the roofspace of a house in Munich, a young man found the diary of his late grandfather,  who had never spoken of his wartime service in the Wehrmacht. These missions tell part of that story,  the story of Erich Schulze's war.

Diary of Leutnant Erich Schulze, entry for 17 May 1942, morning.

My first day at the front, with StuG Abt 244 in the Ukraine. I've just met my new battery commander,  Major Benz. He greeted me with a wry smile - and the news that I am about to face my first test in combat! Here's what he had to say

"Welcome to the battalion, Leutnant Schulze! I see from your papers that you've just completed your training at the Bavarian Artillery and Engineering School. Well, now you've arrived at the Ostfront, you can forget about most of that. Here, you'll find out what it's REALLY like, to command a platoon of Sturmgeschutze in combat! You can also forget about having a quiet start - the Soviets have just pre-empted our summer offensive with a major attack of their own. We're on the defensive in this sector and our grenadiers will need all the help our Sturmgeschutze can give them. Your new platoon's waiting for you in the woods over
    there - take over at once and stand by for your first operational orders! Dismiss!"

As you can see, I don't believe in over-doing this sort of thing, something in between the Spartans and Tolstoy is fine, just enough to give a dramatic sense of time, place and action. Followed by a short and military set of 'oral orders' from the Batteriefuhrer, again with a personal touch but the minimim of waffle.

My StuG platoon moves up behind the hill at Krasny Gigant, before turning to confront the latest Soviet attack:

'Oh sh1t! Where the devil that b@st@rd come from???'

Pointer

Post by Pointer on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:00 am

lockie wrote:
    Would be nice to randomize Soviet attack starting:
    1. user arrived into village, Soviet attack immediately
    2. user arrived into village, Soviet attack after 3 minutes passed
    3. user arrived into village, Soviet attack after 6 minutes passed
    So far, I don't know how to do that, but I've idea.

Scripts randomization is managed with exactly the same rules as contours randomization.

So prepare 3 scripts:

script_for_unit_XXX_1()
    {

ext, wait_tr, player_in_village;
    }

script_for_unit_XXX_2()
    {

wait_time, 180;
    }

script_for_unit_XXX_3()
    {

wait_time, 360;
    }

And use the identifier "script_for_unit_XXX_" or "script_for_unit_XXX" as the script name of desired unit(s).

But there is a problem: if you use a random script for more than one unit, randomization would be done idividually for each one.
    In result, the attack will be unsynchronised.

Solution: choose one unit as the "leading" unit and implement the random script for it only.
    And the scripts of all other units participating in the synchronised attack should content the statement of waiting for the trigger of leaving the starting contour by the "leading" unit.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:21 pm

So far, we've 4 missions for StuG III, 3 for StuG IIIF and there are plans to make two original missions:
    1 desert
    1 western
    and one slot is still empty.
    Here's default mission No5 for StuG III. I think we may replace StuGIII on MarderII and re-adjust sides balance.

And here's mission N06. I think it could be autumn 1942.
    There are:
    German
    3xpz.IV
    3xStuG IIIG
    1xGrenadier platoon

Soviet
    5xT-34
    4xATG 45mm
    3xinfantry paltoon

There will be three missions then Schultze will be transfered to Tunisia to take part in one mission (February 1943). Then injure, hospital, education (Panzerjager VI?) and autumn 1944.

Pointer wrote:
    Solution: choose one unit as the "leading" unit and implement the random script for it only.
    And the scripts of all other units participating in the synchronised attack should content the statement of waiting for the trigger of leaving the starting contour by the "leading" unit.
    That's a good solution and easy to implement! Thanks!
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Based on this...

This is excellent story! I'd like to suggest the next.
    He took part in 4 battles on STUG III C/D near Kharkov, Ternovaya and Neopkrytoe.
    It was summer 42, the Erich got injured and the next half-an year was in hospital and recovering. He was reworded with Iron Cross for his bravery and transfered to the new unit PanzerJaeger Abt equipped with STUG III F (we definitely needs Frinik' gift to describe it with details Smile
    It was February 43. Africa Corps. extremely needs tankers and Schulze was transfered to Africa where took part in Battle of Medenine or Kasserine Pass (2 missions)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Medenine

...I thought the plan was:

- 4 battles with short StuG III in Ukraine; then

- 2 battles with long StuG in Tunisia; then

- 2 (or more) missions at Kursk, possibly transferred to panzerjagers (could be Marder 3, or Ferdinand), maybe converted 'replica' missions; then

- 1 or 2 missions in Germany 1945, with the Jagdtiger.

Is the newplan to add three more missions in the Summer of 1942, in between Kharkiv and Tunisia? If so, then I would suggest setting them during Fall Blau and changing them all, so the player transfers to the Panzerjagers and uses the Marder III. Because of his original StuG experience, and the fact that the long-barrelled StuGs become more used as tank destroyers, Schulze is selected to go with the first (and last!) L/48 StuGs to go to Africa.

He can then go to Kursk with a Ferdinand!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:23 pm

- 4 battles with short StuG III in Ukraine
    Already done plus another No5 for the MarderII

- 2 battles with long StuG in Tunisia
    What is the period? What is scenario?

- 2 (or more) missions at Kursk, possibly transferred to panzerjagers (could be Marder 3, or Ferdinand), maybe converted 'replica' missions
    Do any other battles exist except Kursk? Fall Blau?

- 1 or 2 missions in Germany 1945, with the Jagdtiger.
    May be Jagdpanzer V is even better, but Jagdpanzer VI is also good.

Is the newplan to add three more missions in the Summer of 1942, in between Kharkiv and Tunisia? If so, then I would suggest setting them during Fall Blau and changing them all, so the player transfers to the Panzerjagers and uses the Marder III.
    That's better! Mission No6 is a very good inspite it is replica! This time it is Stug IIIF. Missions No7,8 are classic replica, which I fed up already to teeth with the same scenario/names for the dif. units. So, in fact we've only six almost pure replica missions:
    - 4 for the StuG III C/D (May 42)
    - 1 for the MarderII (May 42)
    - 1 for the StuG IIIF (Summer 42?)

He can then go to Kursk with a Ferdinand!
    That's asking a lot from the poor, injured Erich Very Happy
    Let it be another hero, another mindless crime Wink

Because of his original StuG experience, and the fact that the long-barrelled StuGs become more used as tank destroyers, Schulze is selected to go with the first (and last!) L/48 StuGs to go to Africa.
    He took part in the Africa(March-Feb. 43), got injured and recovered only at autumn 43.
    Then let's make two original missions for the Tunisia.
    I remember there is one mission for the Brits: capture airfield. So, let's make the first mission for the German side: defend airfield, 9 March 1943, (Stug IIIG).
    USA
    6xM3 "Lee"
    3xM4A1
    2xInfantry platoon (APC M3?)
    2xThunderbolt (depends on balance)
    Would be cool to add M7"Priest"  Cool

Germany
    3xPak38
    1xFlak36 (depends on balance)
    1xInfantry platoon
    3xMG34
    3xStuG III/G (user)
    1xPz.III(38kwk)(depends on balance)

Victory conditions:
    - superiority all over polygon 2 times during 3 minutes

Defeat conditions:
    - all aircrafts are destroyed on the airfield

PS
    I think we may add radio-messages for the each destroyed airplane:
    Goddamit, Schulze! Yankee got another airplane!
    Schulze, u're ... ... stupid idiot! Yankee destroyed our fighter. Do something!
    Holly shit, Schulze, u're ... ...! ... ...! Yankee destroyed our air fleet!
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:57 pm

Just a small comment - the Tunisia missions should also use the Ausf F model, since the G wasn't shipped to Africa, iirc.

Also, regarding the Normandy mission against the Brits, maybe you could base it on this Jagdpanther vs Churchill skirmish: Smile

http://www.ww2f.com/topic/2879-jagdpanther-vs-churchills/

"15th Scots and the 6th Guards tank brigade broke through south of Caumontl' Evente, where the front was weakly held by the 326 Infantrie Div., and made a ten kilometre drive to secure Point 309 contolling N175 road. A squadron of Churchills was detailed to cover the left flank from the upper slope of Point 226. All remained quiet for a while but suddenly tanks started to exlode in flames, one after another. 2 Jagdpanthers pulled out of cover onto the crest covered by a third from where, within seconds they had destroyed some more Churchills. The crews had actually broken cover without realising that three tank squadrons were facing them and the sight of the two other Churchill squadrons soon prompted them to move back, receiving some hits from the British armor before disappearing beyond the crest. The whole action had lasted less than two minutes yet it had cost the Guards 11 Churchills and reduced one of the squadrons to four vehicles. Two of the Jagdpanthers were later found abandoned on the reverse slope with some track damage but the third escaped unscathed."

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=112&art_id=1537
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:35 pm

Hi Kapula

great minds think alike - I had suggested to Lockie the very same Normandy action! It will probably be adapted from the Villers Bocage missions. The Churchill III with the early, short-barrelled 6 Pounder is not ideal for Normandy, but it will do.

I have been doing a bit of advertising for this campaign, as I think it will be rather good:

http://combatace.com/topic/87602-steel-fury-upcoming-stugpanzerjaeger-campaign/

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2357814&postcount=18
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:02 pm

kapulA wrote:Just a small comment - the Tunisia missions should also use the Ausf F model, since the G wasn't shipped to Africa, iirc.
    OK  cheers

Also, regarding the Normandy mission against the Brits, maybe you could base it on this Jagdpanther vs Churchill skirmish: Smile
    http://www.ww2f.com/topic/2879-jagdpanther-vs-churchills/
    That's definitely interesting idea! At this moment we've only one European type polygon. It is Viller-Bocage. That's all. I think it's possible to implement such mission.

33lima wrote:It will probably be adapted from the Villers Bocage missions. The Churchill III with the early, short-barrelled 6 Pounder is not ideal for Normandy, but it will do.
    We can make original mission on the base of already prepared. But first we need scenario/briefing.

I have been doing a bit of advertising for this campaign, as I think it will be rather good:
    http://combatace.com/topic/87602-steel-fury-upcoming-stugpanzerjaeger-campaign/
    http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2357814&postcount=18
    Great screens! Perhaps we should replace some in the Campaign?

And here's a simple plan of the mission.

It'll be a classic "shoot the bricks". USA attacks from the three directions, Germany defend from whatever position user will take. I'd like to note there are two types of StuG IIIF:
    - early/no MG
    - late/with MG
    Suppose for the mission will be good the "late" type.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:29 pm

A couple words abt. Mission No5.

There are three directions of the Germany attack. The task is: encirclement of the enemy troops and preventing his retreating.
    1. break the enemy defence
    2. prevent his retreating
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:41 pm

Short, mini-mission report on the Marder II mission:

http://combatace.com/topic/87602-steel-fury-upcoming-stugpanzerjaeger-campaign/#entry706524

33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:29 pm

Well, during a gap in writing briefings, I have at last made a serious start with the Mission Editor, though all I have learned so far is greater respect for those, unlike me, who have got the hang of using this!

After a long recovery from his wound in at Second Kharkov and a short career in Tunisia ended by another wound, Schulze transferred from the Sturmartillerie to the Panzerjaegers. Foolishly, he volunteered to leave the panzerjaeger school at Mielau to help out schwere Panzer Jaeger Abteilung 654 convert from Ferdinands to the new Jadgpanther, and thus found himself in Normandy, south of Caumont on 30 July 1944, standing in for an absent vehicle commander just as the British unhinged the German front with Operation Bluecoat.

The resulting mission is what I'm trying to put together just now - an attempt to recreate something like the famous surprise attack by s.PzJg.Abt 654 on the Churchills of 3 Scots Guards near Caumont. Nowhere near ready yet but having finally got to the point I can actually run some sort of battle without a whitescreen CTD at the outset, here are some scenes from an early trial, albeit the Jagdpanthers are in the later ambush scheme and the Churchills are all 6-Pdr-armed MkIIIs in North African camouflage.

Forming up in a Normandy farmyard with one of the area's ubiquitous orchards behind:

Crossing open country at full speed and hoping we'll stay below the enemy's lines of sight, we close on our objective, a big force of Churchill tanks waiting on Hill 226 for their infantry to catch up:

Hill 226 is on the skyline, ahead. The enemy is sighted briefly but there's no shooting and we keep moving, into some dead ground up ahead:

We flank around in a wide hook to the right, staying low and hoping to catch the enemy froma  direction they aren't expecting. But we run into their 'depth' troop as we ascend and a rather desperate close-range shoot-out develops:

The outgunned Churchills try to close down the range and give us a fright, but soon they are burning and we fight out way up to the crest, engaging more enemy tanks as they come into view:

There's a lot of work needed yet, even for what will be quite a basic mission, but it's finally started getting there!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:31 pm

There are some screens from the mission No6, Tunisia.
    Three Stug III/F under user's command. Unfortunately, both models early/late doesn't has coaxial MG Sad

Airfield with 4xJu-87, which must be protected.

There is German HQ in the village. Mission will fail, if it'll be captured.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:44 pm

Looking good already! As for Normandy, some progress is still being made, illustrated by these pics from the last couple of play-throughs...

A halt for observation, before making a dash across some open ground:

'Panzer marsch!' Off we go, flat out:

Our move is spotted and a Churchill tries to flank us, but it ends badly for him:

Another Churchill tries the same thing, on the other flank:

We pause hull-down, at an embankment. I'll back off and cross to one side, where it's less steep:

The crew got out of this Churchill...

...but their tank should look like Swiss Cheese, after these hits:

Sometimes, life is sooo unfair...two missions end with very lucky hits from the enemy's little 6-Pounders:

On display are Lockie's great new skins for the Jagdpanther (the 'ambush' scheme is too late for Normandy). And olive green British Army Churchills, still the Mk3 version but having left behind their former sand and brown desert finish.
    Pointer

Post by Pointer on Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:10 am

lockie wrote:There are some screens from the mission No6, Tunisia.
    Airfield with 4xJu-87, which must be protected.

The planes should be rotated 180 degrees.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:47 am

With Olexa's patient help, I finally got the Jagdpanther mission playing as intended, just one final touch to make. Here's some screenies from the last play-through.

As we begin to fight through the enemy tank squadron deployed on Hill 226, we suddenly come under fire from a flank, a Churchill troop moving in across open countryside which we face and engage at long range:

Leaving two of the three attackers burning, we turn our attention back to clearing first the reverse slope of Hill 226:

Cautiously moving across the dangerous convex slope, we find ourselves in a short-range firefight with another three Churchills which are forming up to attack us but go down in a hail of 88mm AP rounds:

Through a thick hedgerow and on to the forward slope, I engage a hull down Churchill next to a comrade's victim, but my first round glances off his mudguard.

I jink forward and my second round brings a kill. We resume our advance, past our victims.

We come under fire from the hedgerow to our left and wheel to face them, not before taking hits. Where did they come from?

My gun is knocked out and I'm reduced to trying to ram. This distracts the remaining Churchill long enough for my other surviving Jadgpanther to kill him.

The battle won, my crew are confirmed to have a good tally:

My 2ic did less well but at least avoided serious damage.

The hit that got my number three was on the right side, on the thin armour just below the side sponson, breaking a track and penetrating the hull.

Far from an exact recreation of S.PzAbt 654's action on 30 July 1944 but it captures the feel of the thing, to my mind.
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Indeed - even the lower side sponson shot which was one of the most common vulnerable hit locations is modeled, haha! Can't wait to try the mission; how hard would it be to create to adequate Church Mk VII model with the 75mm from the existing one?
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:40 pm

A Churchill VII would be great - like this preserved one at Carrickfergus, near where I live, photographed earlier this year.

Easier, if a 3d modder could create a variant of the MkIII with a cast turret and a 75mm gun (single-baffle muzzle brake, like the Churchill VII). That would give us a MkVI which would be perfect for NW Europe:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/British_Churchill_Mk_VI_tank_KID4709.jpg

Last edited by 33lima on Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:24 pm

Pointer wrote:The planes should be rotated 180 degrees.
    Agree, it is a good note!

Mission N9 is a very interesting. User must find a good way of attacking and controlling his units. Mission is still in the process of adjusting.
    History note:
    Diary of Leutnant Erich Schulze, entry for 30 July, 1944, evening.\n\n

Listening to the rumble of artillery fire once more, I think back to being wounded again and flown out of
    Tunisia, before the collapse, then my transfer from the Sturmartillerie to the Panzerjaeger Schule at Mielau.
    It seemed for a time that I might sit out the rest of the war as an instructor. But I was assigned to the team
    preparing the new Jagdpanther for service. And when schwere Panzerjaeger Abteilung 654 took the first of these
    new jagdpanzers to the invasion front in France, I went with them. I was meant to return to Mielau after final
    working-up at Mailly-le-Camp, but they are a platoon leader short, so it looks like I might see some action,
    first. I'm now at the front near Caumont in Normandy, with 3.Kompanie, assigned to Kampfgruppe Luders of 326.
    Infanterie-Division. Hauptmann Luders has just returned from checking out a report that enemy tanks have broken
    through and reached a hill quite close to us. So it looks like I could be in action within minutes!

kapulA wrote:how hard would it be to create to adequate Church Mk VII model with the 75mm from the existing one?
    I'd say it's a hard, but 3D model creating is not a problem. We're not in hurry. The main question: what for?
    I've to say at this moment STA has enormous quantity of the techniks Smile
    Of course, almost all units presented in the missions, but I've to confess inspite three GMPs the current techniks are not presented greatly.
    That's why I'm asking why do we need Church Mk VII? Do we've new scenarios for missions? Would be great to make a Campaign for the Brits side or American side. Let's say Lieutenant Ritchie Blackmore/Mick Jagger/Jim Morrison/David Byron Cool

PS
    A couple screens from the mission N6.

Pointer

Post by Pointer on Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:51 am

lockie wrote:
    Pointer wrote:The planes should be rotated 180 degrees.
    Agree, it is a good note!
    It would be fine to apply this fix also to your original mission "Across from Pyrgoss (M4A2/75)".
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Some more pics, this time from a second Normandy mission, which I'm basing on a hypothetical delaying action by s.PzJg.Abt 654 against the 23rd Hussars on 31 July, the day after the real battle with 3 Scots Guards on Hill 226.

Moving into a hull-down position in a fold in the ground near St-Martin-des-Besaces, we await the expected enemy attack from Hill 226:

We engage a troop of Sherman Fireflies, as they come over the crest and into our fields of fire:

More Shermans are moving up on the other flank, behind some trees which don't stop our 8.8cm AP rounds:

Back into St-Martin, we counterattack enemy troops reported to have broken through to the town square:

Job done, we disengage and head for the RV point:

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:57 pm

There are some screens from the mission N10. This mission is a VERY good to play as Commander!

Briefing:

Panzergruppe West, LXXIV Armeekorps, 326.Infanterie-Division sector. 1.Zug of 3.Kompanie,
    s.PzJg.Abt.654, near Saint-Martin-des-Besaces, Normandy.

Initial Situation:
    Strong British tank and infantry forces are continuing to attack south of Caumont. In our sector,
    the enemy now control Hill 226, dominating our positions around St-Martin-des-Besaces. Our forces
    are withdrawing to more defensible positions north of Vire, covered by anti-tank screens and
    local counterattacks by such mobile units as we have left. St-Martin has already been evacuated,
    apart from a few Paks and their prime movers.

Reconnaissance Data:
    Sherman tanks, believed to be from the British 23rd Hussars, in at least company strength and with
    infantry in support are reported to be forming up for an attack, on the reverse slope of Hill 226.
    Their objective is almost certainly St-Martin-des-Besaces.

Combat Order:
    Your platoon will delay the expected enemy advance by engaging their armour between Hill 226 and
    St-Martin-des-Besaces.

Callsigns:
    - HQ is OAK
    - your platoon is FOX

Artillery Support: None is available - the guns have already pulled back, out of range.

Air Support: You know what they say, these days - if you see black planes, it's the British, if you see white planes, it's the Americans,
    if you see no planes, it's the Luftwaffe!

Your Mission:
    You have three Jagdpanthers operational.

You are to:\n
    (i)   take up fire positions covering the approaches to St-Martin-des-Besaces from Hill 226\n
    (ii)  destroy as much as possible of the enemy armour, and\n
    (iii) on my command, break contact and withdraw to the RV(RendezVous) point marked on your map.

H Hour is in five minutes.

Brief your crews and off you go, Schulze! Get into your initial fire positions as soon as you can - the Tommies
    could be on their way any minute. You can't cover the whole frontage, but keep moving and inflict as much delay
    and as many casualties as you can. Listen out on the radio - I'll give you the order to pull back to the RV - in
    under half an hour, hopefully. Make sure you have located the RV point, on the map. It's in a field behind the
    Hotel de Ville - which was still flying the German flag, last time I saw it! Stay well away from there, until you
    get my order!

Move to the positions

Enemy spotted!

I was too careless Smile My victory list is quite modest.

PS
    During mission testing there was discovered a sever error with building "barn N4", which caused CTD. Now it fixed.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:48 pm

And there are some screenies form the mission N7. At the end of the mission my StuG got hit from bazooka. I'm not sure that in February 1943 American infantry had such weapon.

33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:11 am

lockie wrote:And there are some screenies form the mission N7. At the end of the mission my StuG got hit from bazooka. I'm not sure that in February 1943 American infantry had such weapon.

According to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazooka, - they had bazookas in Tunisia, which is what I recall reading elsewhere, but they were little used and not successful.

"Initially supplied with the highly unreliable M6 rocket and without training, the M1 did not play a significant armed role in combat in the North African fighting,[12] but did provide a German intelligence coup[2] when some were captured by the Germans in early encounters with inexperienced US troops. A US general visiting the Tunisian front in 1943 after the close of combat operations could not find any soldiers who could report that the weapon had actually stopped an enemy tank.[12] Further issue of the bazooka was suspended in May 1943."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:06 am