MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

"New" GMP (StuG III)/Diary of Lieutenant Erich Schulze

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

"New" GMP (StuG III)/Diary of Lieutenant Erich Schulze

Post by lockie on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:17 pm

STA has many Campaigns, which in fact are the pure replica based on the default missions. The main difference is only some units were replaced and that's all. Nothing changed, even history notes and briefings are exactly the same. Moreover, there are some "campaigns", which consist only of two, three, four, five missions and this is nonsense. Veterans of SF already know what I'm talking abt. Smile
    All mentioned "campaigns" are the inheritance from the SPM1.5. They were good at the very beginning, when SF was out of the users missions, but now they obsolete and doesn't satisfy to the campaigns requests.
    So, at first I've decided to compile all Soviet missions. Now it has the name "The Soviet armor" and consist of 21 single missions.

After I've joined all missions for "StuG III". It received the name "Forward at the enemy!" and consist of the eight missions. Now through the whole campaign user will be associated with a Wehrmacht officer Lieutenant Erich Shulze. And each mission has description kinda:
    Your Mission:
    You are Lieutenant Erich Shulze. Your platoon consist of the three "StuG III ausf. G (saukopf)".
    Your platoon is the center of the attack and you have to:
    a) Attack Nepokrytoe
    b) Eliminate the enemy and secure the village.
    It does now user knows exactly what the unit under his command.
    Suppose, all compiled mission will get a personal campaign, when they will be ready.

And there are a couple shots from the updated campaign. I've to say that fight as a STUG III C/D it's a very difficult thing especially against KV-1! Shocked
    Mostly I acted as a Commander and gave a hint to my gunner where the target was. The hell yeah, I had to use command +/-/OK(which I never did before) to control my gunner! It was exiting Cool

Would be nice completely re-design this campaign. I mean history note and briefings.

Last edited by lockie on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:42 am; edited 6 times in total
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: "New" GMP (StuG III)/Diary of Lieutenant Erich Schulze

Post by 33lima on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:46 pm

Great Idea lockie.

Can the Soviet missions be made to appear in the list on the left of the campaign screen, in date order, earliest first? Even if the tank changes, that would help create the impression that this could be a career for a named Soviet 'tankist', like Herr Leutnant Schulze.

It would not be too difficult to re-write the 'history notes' for each mission, the Stug one looks like a Soviet one and would be much better if it told you as Lt Schulze a short 'battle picture'. Let me know if you want any assistance.

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:45 am

Very nice idea, Lockie !

If 33lima could help to re-write the 'history notes' for each mission it would be great !

cheers cheers cheers
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:54 am

33lima, Txema wrote:Great Idea lockie.
    Cool  bom  cheers

Can the Soviet missions be made to appear in the list on the left of the campaign screen, in date order, earliest first?
    Yes, it's possible. In fact, I'd like to have these missions as a "hot" reserve for the future campaigns. As my point 21 missions are too many for the one campaign, but we may separate them and also use missions from the "Single" pattern.
    But first, I'd like to finish missions for the StuG's campaign. Would u like to take a part? The chronological events should be ordered and may be a couple new words put in the history/briefing, coz reading the same sentences it's a bit boring.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:19 pm

Happy to take part, Lockie, let me know what you want me to do and I'll get onto it.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:06 am

33lima wrote:Happy to take part, Lockie, let me know what you want me to do and I'll get onto it.
    OK then. First we need to make out the "true" story abt. tankman(name, rank we already have) who served in attack SPG forces. We need to pick up Division, then estimate the period when missions had places.
    There are 5 missions for the StuGIII C/D and three for the StuGIII F/G already prepared (all of them are replica). Then perhaps we may add two missions for the jagpanzer/jagdpanther/hetzer/jagdtiger.
    Or replace already presented mission with a new SPG, i.e. change one mission with StuG III F on Hetzer and may be change some units also, such as add T-34/76 L11. (I'll share with u alpha version STA2.0 for testing).
    I think the whole campaign should moves from the simple SPG to the advanced like jagdtiger. Well, we may create more than 10 missions Wink
    So, I'd like u first to play all presented eight missions to have a look what they does, then share er suggestions, which way to change them, what should be added and other ideas would be welcome.
    The main part of this work it is re-writing briefing/history. Put out some trifle details and simplified the whole text as u did with history note for the Tiger. Well, u know what I'm talking abt. Smile
    Of course, I'd be pleased if Monseigneur Frinik will take a part also  cheers

BTW
    The motto "Forward and at the enemy" it is from the German SPG manual Smile
    col.moore

Post by col.moore on Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:09 pm

WAW I'm looking forward in to this!

My favorite tank in the WW2 is the Stug and Panzerjäeger family... Unfortunately the career pack for them are too short.... My dream is to find a game like the Il-2 Sturmovik (in the matter of long and historically precise careers) but as an Infantry or Armored division soldier... probably it will be just a dream.... even because the games are getting shorter in each release (Call of Duty is the best sample of it)...
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:57 pm

lockie wrote:
    33lima wrote:Happy to take part, Lockie, let me know what you want me to do and I'll get onto it.
    OK then. First we need to make out the "true" story abt. tankman(name, rank we already have) who served in attack SPG forces. We need to pick up Division, then estimate the period when missions had places.
    There are 5 missions for the StuGIII C/D and three for the StuGIII F/G already prepared (all of them are replica). Then perhaps we may add two missions for the jagpanzer/jagdpanther/hetzer/jagdtiger.
    Or replace already presented mission with a new SPG, i.e. change one mission with StuG III F on Hetzer and may be change some units also, such as add T-34/76 L11. (I'll share with u alpha version STA2.0 for testing).
    I think the whole campaign should moves from the simple SPG to the advanced like jagdtiger. Well, we may create more than 10 missions Wink
    So, I'd like u first to play all presented eight missions to have a look what they does, then share er suggestions, which way to change them, what should be added and other ideas would be welcome.
    The main part of this work it is re-writing briefing/history. Put out some trifle details and simplified the whole text as u did with history note for the Tiger. Well, u know what I'm talking abt. Smile
    Of course, I'd be pleased if Monseigneur Frinik will take a part also  cheers

BTW
    The motto "Forward and at the enemy" it is from the German SPG manual Smile

OK will get onto it.

The 5 StuG missions I am to play, I assume, are these ones: http://s5.postimg.org/k0kftc26r/12_s.jpg

I also assume that I can find them all in one or other of the STA mission packs - 1, 2 or 3. just not yet all under a 'Forward at the Enemy' campaign, like you are going to group them.

I had a quick look at these sources:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_7GfAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=stug+III+%2B+kharkov&source=bl&ots=a8pz5l7nsl&sig=bD2FUT3whXggMRUqWGEZK9LD_1M&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CFMQ6AEwC2oVChMI6uzotajZyAIVRukmCh0c4Qcl#v=onepage&q=stug%20III%20%2B%20kharkov&f=false

http://www.axishistory.com/about-ahf/153-germany-heer/heer-other-units/3405-sturmgeschuetz-abteilungen-245-to-286

...and so I think that our player should be a member of Stug Abt 245. The second link above says this Stug Abt was "...attached to Gruppe “von Schwedler”, 17. Armee (minus one batterie attached to XXXXIV. Armeekorps), Heeresgruppe Sud". The Wikipedia entry for the 1942 Kharkov battle says that XXXXIV ArmeeKorps was involved in the battles around Barvenkovo which I believe is the same general area, south -east of Kharkov, where the SF maps are, covering places like Ternovaya and Neopkrytoe. So our hero the player could be in the battery that was serving with 44 Corps.

I don't know where the later missions with the long barrelled StuG III take place. If at Second Kharkov they can be a continuation of the first set. If not they can be at Kursk or somewhere else. If Stug Abt 245 was not in the right palce, we can have our hero transfer to a different unit, for example the PanzerJaeger Abt in a Panzer Division or even one of the batallions in a Panzer Regiment, because they were sometimes given StuGs when they did not have enough tanks. He could even end up transferred to one of the Jagtiger battalions, towards the end of the war.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:06 pm

[quote="33lima"]

The 5 StuG missions I am to play, I assume, are these ones:  http://s5.postimg.org/k0kftc26r/12_s.jpg
    Yes, check out PM, I've sent u a link to STA2.0 where all STUG III missions already compiled in one pack.

Excellent book!

...and so I think that our player should be a member of Stug Abt 245.

So our hero the player could be in the battery that was serving with 44 Corps.
    Good info.

I don't know where the later missions with the long barrelled StuG III take place. He could even end up transferred to one of the Jagtiger battalions, towards the end of the war.

This is excellent story! I'd like to suggest the next.
    He took part in 4 battles on STUG III C/D near Kharkov, Ternovaya and Neopkrytoe.
    It was summer 42, the Erich got injured and the next half-an year was in hospital and recovering. He was reworded with Iron Cross for his bravery and transfered to the new unit PanzerJaeger Abt equipped with STUG III F (we definitely needs Frinik' gift to describe it with details Smile
    It was February 43. Africa Corps. extremely needs tankers and Schulze was transfered to Africa where took part in Battle of Medenine or Kasserine Pass (2 missions)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Medenine

There he was injured secondly. After recovering he was promoted to Ober-Lieutenant. In hospital Shulze met his old school friend Klaus von Bargsten who served in II SS-Panzer Corps, 2nd SS Panzergrenadier Division Das Reich.
    Klaus had a rank Obersturmbannfuhrer and he suggested Erich to enter organization SS and come to his regiment. Soon Erich became a member SS and started to serve in Division Das Reich. It was summer 43, he took part in Citadel battle (2 missions). Then he was sent to the training (as the most skillful veteran) with a new SPG Jagdpanzer(Jagdtiger?) and transfered to the Western front, where he finished the war fighting with Allies forces, Normandy (2 missions).

Well, this is a VERY draft variant, but we can always make out smth. new Smile
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:39 pm

That's a really good service history for our man Erich! What is the best way to present it?

One option might be to break it up so that the player gets the relevant part, before each mini-campaign, as part of an intro for that campaign: I assume that as well as grouping the missions, each group can then have a campaign intro created for it?

The Kharkov part would come first, as in:

'Kharkov, May 1942. You are newly-commissioned Leutnant Erich Schulze, appointed to command a platoon of three StuG IIIs in Sturmgeschutz Abteilung 245. Any hopes you had of a quiet introduction to your new command rapidly disappeared when the Soviets pre-empted the German summer offensive in southern USSR with a major attack of their own, aimed at re-taking the Ukrainian city of Kharkov. Instead, attached as usual to an infantry regiment, your platoon has been pitched into a desperate effort to throw back the fiercely-resisting Soviets and re-start the stalled German drive towards the Causasus...and a certain city that bears the name of the feared Soviet leader himself.'

As you can see, I am in favour of short and (hopefully!) dramatic introductions, creating s strong sense of time, place and events, with the minimum of theatrics or dialogue!

The Kasserine mini-campaign intro could pick up your story for Erich, as you have described - wounded, ferried over the Med and signed up with the DAK, just in time to be thrown into another big battle.

It will be great to have single missions pulled together like this, to provide the player with a career, in this case for a Stug and Panzerjaeger platoon commander, as he fights his very personal war, trying to keep body and soul together through some of the Wehrmacht's most famous or desperate battles. So much more immersive, adding something that SF has never really had before. I think you have really hit on somthing here, with this concept.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:15 pm

33lima wrote:That's a really good service history for our man Erich! What is the best way to present it?
    To implement it into the game!  Cool

One option might be to break it up so that the player gets the relevant part, before each mini-campaign, as part of an intro for that campaign: I assume that as well as grouping the missions, each group can then have a campaign intro created for it?
    Eah, what do u mean? We already have campaign (now it has 8 replica missions, but I want 10 with a couple of original ones). Or u want to make another campaign for STUG?

The Kharkov part would come first, as in:
    'Kharkov, May 1942. You are newly-commissioned Leutnant Erich Schulze, appointed to command a platoon of three StuG IIIs in Sturmgeschutz Abteilung 245....
    This is GREAT history note!
    You are newly-commissioned Leutnant Erich Schulze, appointed to command a platoon of three StuG IIIs in Sturmgeschutz Abteilung 245.
    It is exactly what I wanted u to be done!
    Each mission before starting, will get a short description what happens with our main hero Erich Schulze. Then there will be a history annotation according to the presented mission, as u did it! It is a VERY exiting and interesting to read a news abt. him, then read a boring quotes from the Wiki Smile
    So, we have a history note for the first mission. Now, let's make a briefing! So, u need to start first mission, play it, write the briefing, then tell me what should be done/changed to make mission more suitable.
    I know, u prefer NATO standard as mission description and it is a very good system, but imagine u're German officer and u're writing breifing not for the NATO officers, but exactly for the German Lieutenant Erich Schulze and for the casual users also Wink
    Anyway, I leave the final decision abt. briefing under er responsibility.

And what abt. my presentation of the campaign?
    - 4 missions STUG III C/D (Kharkiv, summer 1942. Use "i" instead "o" it is more correct, coz Kharkiv it is Ukrainian town.)
    - 2 missions STUG III F (Africa, February-March 1943. Did Rommel use StuG III F or should we concentrate on Eastern front? I think desert missions are more exciting, coz they have a differ landscape and new allies units)
    - 2 missions STUG III G(zimmerit) (Citadel, summer 1943)
    - 2 missions Jagdpanzer IV (spring 1945, Normandy)
    There is one 1944 year missed and I don't know how to explain it. May be he was captured by the Soviet Commissars and then managed to escape?

As you can see, I am in favour of short and (hopefully!) dramatic introductions, creating s strong sense of time, place and events, with the minimum of theatrics or dialogue!
    That's perfect!

The Kasserine mini-campaign intro could pick up your story for Erich, as you have described - wounded, ferried over the Med and signed up with the DAK, just in time to be thrown into another big battle.
    I've a base for the one desert mission. I'm waiting when will73 finish British 37mm  AT gun and possibly APC M3 with 75mm gun. Unfortunately(for my missions), will73 is more obsessed with T-34 modifications Smile

It will be great to have single missions pulled together like this, to provide the player with a career, in this case for a Stug and Panzerjaeger platoon commander, as he fights his very personal war
    Which missions particularly u're talking abt.?
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Which missions? Not sure but this concept has lots of possibilities. It will give us a career for a German assault gunner/panzerjaeger. I'm sure there must be other single missions, which can be tweaked combined in a similar way eg we could eventually have a whole series of careers, German heavy tanker, Soviet medium and heavy tanker, Soviet assault gunner and so on.

Erich Schulze and those who follow could become famous like movie stars, but of WW2 tanksims! Smile

If our hero misses 1944 it's a pity since he could be in a late StuG III against the British in Normandy but we can say he was 'retired' to a training school in 1943 but - as will have happened to others - was recalled to the front line, in the desperate last days.

The Stug III F/8 with the long gun is fine for Tunisia. In 'DAK Profile Guide' (an excellent Spanish book with English text I got in Spain earlier this year) there is a profile of one such vehicle, and its caption says 'The only StuG IIIs with the long-barrelled 7.5 cm StuK 40 L/48 gun used in North Africa were the vehicles of the 1. Batterie of the Sturmgeschutz-Abteilung 242. The Abteilung, under the command of Hptm. Ernst Benz, was formed in November 1942 for service in Africa, but only the 1. Batterie was sent to Tunisia, where it was re-named Sturmgeschutz-Batterie 90. The unit, equipped with four StuG III Ausf F/8s, was assigned as the 13.Batterie to the Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 90 of the 10. Panzer Division in January 1943. It also supported Luftwaffen-Jaeger-Brigade 1 and then Fallschirm-Regiment Barenthin while fighting to the end in Tunisia. The remnants of the batterie surendered to the British troops at Cap Bon Peninsula on the 11th May 1943. Their StuG IIIs were painted in brown (RAL 8020) over the dark grey base (RAL 7021). Their markings comprosed only standard national insignia applied on both sides and back plate of the vehicles.'

So Erich will have to be wounded and flown out of Afrika by Ju 52, narrowly missing the Palm Sunday Massacre, if he is not to end up in a British PoW camp!
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:50 am

It's an exciting idea 33Lima. In line with what other tanksims or WW2 games do.

Having a character leading a complete campaign on a given vehicle which evolves as the war goes appeals to me more than the current hodge-podge format in SF campaigns.

We could have SPGs and Tanks campaigns or mini campaigns for all sides( British, Germans , US , Soviets).
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:31 pm

OK I have just played the first mission so far and need to think about it.

First thoughts are:

- I was easily able to find the StuG 'min-campaign' and see the first mission, 'Taranovka 17 May 1942'

- The screen that you then see has a 'history' paragraph that tells the player very little (beginning with 'By the dawn of May 17th, the Wehrmacht launched their attack...'. This needs repalced with something more useful and more interesting, which sets the scene better. Probably this is the time to tell the player that this is the first mission in the career of Lt Erich Schulze, and where and when this first mini-campaign is taking place. I will adapt something from the bit I wrote earlier - this looks like a better place for this, than in the briefing for the first mission.

Each mission in the mini-campaign can have a different intro, picking up where the last one ended and leading into the next mission.

-On selecting the Taranovka mission, the Fredericus I intro video plays. This is ok I think, as it provides a useful follow-on to the new text for the mission intro screen.

-When this ends, the actual mission briefing appears, as usual.

-This briefing is quite good and has already been written for StuG Abt 244 which is fine. I may suggest a few changes to this. The mission is a good concept - you are ordered forward to help the grenadiers hold off a Soviet attack. The problem I had was that my orders did not tell me where to go, just to help the defenders. But these were spread over a fairly wide front, along the line Taranovka-'Hill'-Zeleny Gai. The red arrows showed several expected lines of enemy advance.

-In real life the commander giving the player his orders is very unlikely not to tell the player where he wants him to go, based on where he expects the StuGs are needed most. It may be ok to disregard this, for the sake of giving the player a free hand.

-On my first play I decided to move into a position in the centre, just behind the Germans at the position marked 'Hill'. From here I hoped I could find a fire posution that would enable me to fire ahead and left or right, covering a lot of the front.

-When I got there, I found the ground was very open but was able to use folds in the ground.

-The big problem was that long before I was even half-way there, and still had not got out of the woods, what seemed to be the main Soviet attack - which turned out to have T-34s - was hitting Taranovka on my left. All I could hear was the shooting and see stuff burning. Exiting the woods, I could not identify any targets over there. Soviet infantry appeared from the woods to our direct front, ahead of 'Hill', and we shot up these (my platoon resolutely ignoring my order to change from column to line (or even 'blob') formation!!!)

-Deciding the main threat was over on the left at Taranovka, I re-oriented the platoon. But before we were able to spot the enemy, let alone fire another round, I got the 'mission failed' message. Not good!

-So - if holding Taranovka is so important to winning the mission, the briefing needs to tell the player that that is the critical point in the defences and must be held at all costs. And possibly give him a direct order to go there. This is especially so, if the main Soviet attack will always head for Tarnarovka. I suppose there is a clue in the name of the mission but the briefing needs to anticipate idiots like me! I will likely suggest a change here.

I also think that the attack on Taranovka arrives too quickly. The player is not given enough time to set up wherever he has chosen - unless he has been lucky, and decided just to drive to Taranovka, as fast as he can. If this early Soviet attack is deliberate then I think the player needs to get a triggered radio message, the Taranovka defenders saying they are being hit hard and need help, now! Either that, or tell him in the briefing that he's to set up - and quickly! - to protect the position at Taranovka, as a priority.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:43 pm

33lima wrote:
    - I was easily able to find the StuG 'min-campaign' and see the first mission, 'Taranovka 17 May 1942'
    I've to note, I don't like this name of the mission, coz it is replica and I don't like the word "Taranovka" itself Smile (Taranovka - it is dried salt fish, which u may eating with beer). Any chance to change the name? I.e.
    "Potapovo, 10:00 AM, 15 May 1942"

- The screen that you then see has a 'history' paragraph that tells the player very little (beginning with 'By the dawn of May 17th, the Wehrmacht launched their attack...'. This needs repalced with something more useful and more interesting
    That would be fine!

Probably this is the time to tell the player that this is the first mission in the career of Lt Erich Schulze, and where and when this first mini-campaign is taking place.
    There should be somth, like:
    This bright spring day became for the young Lieutenant Erich a first battle in his life. He just a couple months ago finished training classes at Bavarian Artillery and Engineering School. Then he was sent to the StuG Abt 244 as a gunner and now he is on the East front waiting for his first test of fate.

I will adapt something from the bit I wrote earlier - this looks like a better place for this, than in the briefing for the first mission.
    Could u pick up some quotes from this book also?
    It'll be more interesting to read a new memories instead default ones.

-On selecting the Taranovka mission, the Fredericus I intro video plays. This is ok I think, as it provides a useful follow-on to the new text for the mission intro screen.
    We may create original video. I think we may ask KurtTank to help us with video.

-This briefing is quite good and has already been written for StuG Abt 244 which is fine. I may suggest a few changes to this.
    I'd like to change the briefing/history note "on the fly".
    U need editor Notepad++, then open file:
    ...data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\SCRIPTS\cm_werm_stug3\stug3_01_loc_data.text
    Then make all necessary changes and save. After send this file to me through e-mail. U need to know a simple things:
    - symbol "\t" does TAB
    - symbol "\n" does ENTER
    History note is located here:
    data\k42\loc_rus\text\Users_missions.text
    it is entry:
    Code:
       txt_cm_camp_werm_stug3() {Forward at the enemy!(StuG III);}

The mission is a good concept - you are ordered forward to help the grenadiers hold off a Soviet attack. The problem I had was that my orders did not tell me where to go, just to help the defenders.
    U may add these orders to the briefing, there is no any problems at all Smile

-On my first play I decided to move into a position in the centre, just behind the Germans at the position marked 'Hill'.
    To avoid thre times playing u need to fix the next entries:
    data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\camp\main_camp.engcfg
    campaign1,txt_mc_campaign_werm1_1,1,1,back_cc01.tga,txt_cit_02,20,txt_hist_v_may13_n_m01,hist_map_n13,levels\levels\cm_werm_2\CCZ01_Peschanoe.level,3,campaign2,,,wer1_camp_beg.ogg,;
    on
    campaign1,txt_mc_campaign_werm1_1,1,1,back_cc01.tga,txt_cit_02,20,txt_hist_v_may13_n_m01,hist_map_n13,levels\levels\cm_werm_2\CCZ01_Peschanoe.level,1,campaign2,,,wer1_camp_beg.ogg,;

-So - if holding Taranovka is so important to winning the mission, the briefing needs to tell the player that that is the critical point in the defences and must be held at all costs.
    Agree.

I also think that the attack on Taranovka arrives too quickly.
    Completely agree!
    I'll change it.
    So, first u need to fix the text, then send me files. Then we'll go on Smile
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:06 pm

OK will start with the text files. I have played the mission a second time and it ended just as strangely; I think there is something wrong, about the victory condition(s).

This time, I headed down the road, directly to 'Dried Salt Fish' Smile There was a lot of shooting and green tracer (maybe some from the air) from the beginning - perhaps Soviet airstrikes and arty.

But their tanks and troops still arrived at the village very quickly. To save time, I turned off the road and 'cut the corner' driving across low ground and then up, to the enemy side of Taranovka. I had more trouble with my platoon-mates, who totally refused to change out of column formation - I have 'radio comms' selected and I am beginning to wonder if the StuG radios are working. Maybe they don't have them?

A single T-34 appeared on the skyline. It had stopped, facing to my right, by the time I got my sights onto it. I hit him several times - he just sat there, making no move. A short while later, I got the 'victory' message!!!

My other two Stugs may have shot some infantry - I didn't check, after the battle. But it didn't seem right, that a single, possible T-34 kill and some possible infantry kills changed what was a defeat, first time playing, to a victory, the second time. Perhaps the fact I was still alive, and had my Stugs near Taranovka, meant the German side met the victory conditions. But the village itself was mostly over the skyline and we could hardly even see it. It seems that the victory conditions need changed.  The battle was certainly over very quickly, before my StuGs had the chance to do hardly anything. Perhaps just delaying the Soviet attack a few minutes and telling the player he must defend mainly 'Dried Salt Fish' would solve this.

I am also going to suggest a change to the breifing objective - it mentions 'Hold defence Taranovka-Berestovaya River line' but there is no sign of a river or Berestovaya on the map. Better to say 'hold the line Taranovka [or whatever you want to call it] - Hill 197 [add the nearest spot height to its name]-Zeleny Gai' so all the places named in the order are visible on the map.

The other problem I had is the StuG's gunsight, which seems to be fixed and does not have any kind of range scale. It's bad enough, having no co-ax, but a sight I don't know how to operate, for a low-velocity gun with a trajectory that is far from flat, is hectic! Maybe I should play as commander - or learn how to use that sight!
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:16 pm

PS I don't understand what you are telling me here:

-On my first play I decided to move into a position in the centre, just behind the Germans at the position marked 'Hill'.

To avoid thre times playing u need to fix the next entries:
    data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\camp\main_camp.engcfg
    campaign1,txt_mc_campaign_werm1_1,1,1,back_cc01.tga,txt_cit_02,20,txt_hist_v_may13_n_m01,hist_map_n13,levels\levels\cm_werm_2\CCZ01_Peschanoe.level,3,campaign2,,,wer1_camp_beg.ogg,;
    on
    campaign1,txt_mc_campaign_werm1_1,1,1,back_cc01.tga,txt_cit_02,20,txt_hist_v_may13_n_m01,hist_map_n13,levels\levels\cm_werm_2\CCZ01_Peschanoe.level,1,campaign2,,,wer1_camp_beg.ogg,;

...what effect does changing '3' to '1' have? Does '3' force me to play this 'level' or mission three times, before it will let me play the next mission???
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:47 pm

I will start with the files soon but here to get started is a draft of the text for the campaign intro panel (to replace the bit that starts with 'By the dawn of May 17th...'

I don't think this is the place for a history lesson - instead, the new intro below tells the player where he is and when, and what is going on, in the way a newly-arrived officer might be told by his comamnder. I think that works better than saying what 6th Army or is doing or the names of senior German or Soviet commanders.

The title also tells the player that this is part of a player carreer (I even gave it a name!). The mini-campaigns will be the episodes, each of several missions. That's my suggestion, anyway.

Schulze's War, Episode 1: May 1942, at the tactical HQ of Sturmgeschutz-Abteilung 244, south of Kharkov, Ukraine.
    Welcome to the battalion, Leutnant Schulze! I'm Major Benz, your company commander. I see from your papers that you've just completed your training at the Baviarian Artillery and Engineering School. Well, now you've arrived at the Ost Front, you can forget about most of that. Here, you'll find out what it's REALLY like, to command a platoon of Sturmgeschutze in combat! You can also forget about having a quiet start - the Soviets have just pre-empted our summer offensive with a major attack of their own. We're on the defensive in this sector and our grenadiers will need all the help our Sturmgeschutze can give them. Your new platoon's waiting for you in the woods over there - take over at once and stand by for your first operational orders! Dismiss!

Last edited by 33lima on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:51 pm

33lima wrote:
    ...what effect does changing '3' to '1' have? Does '3' force me to play this 'level' or mission three times, before it will let me play the next mission???
    U've at the default 3 times to finish the mission. If u failed three times, the next mission will be available automatically.
    So, if u change from '3' to '1' it does u may start the mission, then press "Abort mission" and the next mission will be available already.

I like "Dry-Salt-Fish", let this name be in mission Smile

I have 'radio comms' selected and I am beginning to wonder if the StuG radios are working. Maybe they don't have them?
    Did u check "Always obey commands"?

The battle was certainly over very quickly, before my StuGs had the chance to do hardly anything.
    that's why I want u to look over all missions and pick up any, which according to er taste will be suitable for the whole campaign. May be some missions needs to be adjusted a bit. So, the final decision at er point. Personally, I liked second mission Zeleny Gai, 17 May 1942, 18:00 (StuG III).

The other problem I had is the StuG's gunsight, which seems to be fixed and does not have any kind of range scale.
    It has Smile
    But it is a very difficult one Smile
    I played as Commander and mark the target for gunner to shot at.
    There are commands to correct gunner:
    + overshot
    - undershot
    - enter "got it!"
    U've to press "F" then mark a target. Also u may order which weapon he must use (press "Enter"):
    - only gun
    - only MG
    - use MG and gun (it is good for STUG III G)

But if u want to shoot from gunner' place then look here:
    http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t30-faq-steel-fury
    Q. How do i use the "drum" gun-sight?
    This video was made by Donken.

33lima wrote:I will start with the files soon but here to get started is a draft of the text for the campaign intro panel (to replace the bit that starts with 'By the dawn of May 17th...'
    My bad, I forgot to place it in Smile
    Here's the text, soon I'll send u a new update.
    By the dawn of May 17th, the Wehrmacht launched their attack. Previous Artillery preparation and air strikes by around 400 aircraft
    softened Soviet defenses. By 08:00, Soviet strongpoints and anti-tank barriers were neutralized by the Wehrmacht, and the
    push against the Soviet 9th Army continued north for about 10 km in two directions – towards Slavyansk and Dolgenkaya. By
    this time, German planes destroyed auxiliary control units and the Soviet Armies communications center at Dolgenkaya.
    Since the headquarters were now without knowledge on the developing situation and could not communicate their next actions
    to - or receive orders from - the Southern Army Headquarters, they immediately moved to the Kamenka control unit, then to
    the left bank of the Seversky Donets River. They've lost all control over their forces in the region.\n\nBy noon, German
    forces had advanced further into the 20 km deep defenses and fought south of Barvenkovo and in the Golaya Dolina district.
    Possessing no communications and unified command structure, formations and units 9th Army were fighting in isolation.\n\n

General Bobkin’s Army Group pressed on towards Krasnograd.\n\n;

If u don't like this mission then let's put it out.

I don't think this is the place for a history lesson - instead, the new intro below tells the player where he is and when, and what is going on, in the way a newly-arrived officer might be told by his comamnder. I think that works better than saying what 6th Army or is doing or the names of senior German or Soviet commanders.
    Yes, some history notes overfilled with unnecessary details. Do er best!

Schulze's War, Episode 1: May 1942, at the tactical HQ of Sturmgeschutz-Abteilung 244, south of Kharkov, Ukraine.
    Welcome to the battalion, Leutnant Schulze! I'm Major Benz, your company commander. I see from your papers that you've just completed your training at the Baviarian Artillery and Engineering School. Well, now you've arrived at the Ost Front, you can forget about most of that. Here, you'll find out what it's REALLY like, to command a platoon of Sturmgeschutze in combat! You can also forget about having a quiet start - the Soviets have just pre-empted our summer offensive with a major attack of their own. We're on the defensive in this sector and our grenadiers will need all the help our Sturmgeschutze can give them. Your new platoon's waiting for you in the woods over there - take over at once and stand by for your first operational orders! Dismiss!
    EXCELLENT!
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks for the video! I wondered what that cylindrical thing was that I could see, in the internal view. Now I know!

I will check about 'always obey orders', I play with it checked but may have unchecked it recently for some reason. Thanks for the reminder!
    kapulA
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by kapulA on Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:41 pm

I have a suggestion, if it's not too hard to script. Maybe the play-time of the map could be prolonged by slightly strengthening the German position at Hill 197 (e.g. add an emplaced MG, an AT gun and some more infantry) and adding a secondary attack towards it, some time after the first direct attack on Taranovka (like maybe 5-10 mins).

To make it more interesting, maybe have the remaining defenders of Taranovka pull back towards the hill after the first attack, and form a secondary line around the hill defenders. Then you could hit them with the 2nd wave, kinda like in the first mission of Kyth's Pz III campaign, which would actually be somewhat weaker than the first one (1-2 platoons of inf, 1 plt of T-60s or T-38s and 2 plts of T-26s perhaps?).
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:11 pm

33lima wrote:I will check about 'always obey orders'
    In fact, this option should have simulate "broken radio". It does, if radio damaged then wingmen don't obey to u anymore (funny, they never obey, it doesn't matter did radio break or not). So, if u want to give them signal, then u've to pres the other icons:
    - pistol-rocket
    - flags
    - voice
    All mentioned choices are just "on the paper". They never worked for me.

kapulA wrote:I have a suggestion, if it's not too hard to script. Maybe the play-time of the map could be prolonged by slightly strengthening the German position at Hill 197 (e.g. add an emplaced MG, an AT gun and some more infantry) and adding a secondary attack towards it, some time after the first direct attack on Taranovka (like maybe 5-10 mins).
    Everything is possible in Arkansas Smile
    But to make it more clear for me, could u draw a simple sketch what do u mean? And draw the second attack also.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:16 pm

kapulA wrote:I have a suggestion, if it's not too hard to script. Maybe the play-time of the map could be prolonged by slightly strengthening the German position at Hill 197 (e.g. add an emplaced MG, an AT gun and some more infantry) and adding a secondary attack towards it, some time after the first direct attack on Taranovka (like maybe 5-10 mins).

To make it more interesting, maybe have the remaining defenders of Taranovka pull back towards the hill after the first attack, and form a secondary line around the hill defenders. Then you could hit them with the 2nd wave, kinda like in the first mission of Kyth's Pz III campaign, which would actually be somewhat weaker than the first one (1-2 platoons of inf, 1 plt of T-60s or T-38s and 2 plts of T-26s perhaps?).

Yes I think if Hill 197 in the centre is to be attacked as well as Taranovka on the left, then Hill 197's defences should be strong enough that they can hold out, say until the fighting at Taranovka is decided. So it could play out like this - following the revised orders, the player goes off to fight at Taranovka. He may see or be aware that Hill 197 is also being attacked, but it is not a threat to his mission and need not distract him. Once he has (hopefully) helped repel the soviets at Taranovka, he can turn right and help the defenders of Hill 197, by for example taking the Soviet attackers in the flank. The attack on Hill 197 could be in two waves, with a weak first wave, guaranteed to get mown down by the defenders; then a second wave, triggered by a German victory at Taranovka, so its appearance can present the player with a second challenge. The revised orders (aka briefing) I'm working on tells the player to help Hill 197 if he can. A second wave attack could trigger a reaio message from Hill 197, reporting the second attack and asking for urgent help.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:09 pm

History note is located here:
    data\k42\loc_rus\text\Users_missions.text
    it is entry:
    Code:
    txt_cm_camp_werm_stug3() {Forward at the enemy!(StuG III);}

Hi Lockie

can you show me exactly where the history text goes, in the string above? I have tried entering it between '(StuG III);' and '}' but when I laod the campaign, for the first mission the history panel still defaults to the one that starts 'By the dawn of May 17th, the Wehrmacht...' (which text isn't in the file, so it must be pulling in from somewhere else, or I am really more lost than I think I am).

About the new briefing file I pm'ed earlier, I seem to have put an illegal character after '62.Infanterie Division' namely a semicolon, which stops any text after that showing, but I have now replaced it.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:40 pm

33lima wrote:
    can you show me exactly where the history text goes, in the string above?
    I've forgotten to enclose it Smile Check PM.
    The history:

Code:
    txt_campaign_stug3_01() {Schulze's War, Episode 1: May 1942, at the tactical HQ of Sturmgeschutz-Abteilung 244, south of Kharkiv, Ukraine. (StuG III); }
     txt_hist_dry_solt()
    {
    Welcome to the battalion, Leutnant Schulze!

About the new briefing file I pm'ed earlier, I seem to have put an illegal character after '62.Infanterie Division' namely a semicolon, which stops any text after that showing, but I have now replaced it.
    OK, it's a standard situation when u got errors Smile
    I always need some tries to fix the text.

I've a looked on the mission script and I've to say it is EXTREMELY simple script. Germany victory is a superiority all over polygon. It does u've to seek and destroy all the enemy forces. This condition is not good, coz if at least one Soviet tank could stuck/hit in the forest, then user never win until he'll find this tank and destroy it. The better idea: hold on to the village Dry-Salt-Fish during 30minutes. If German superiority is let's say "1.5" times more then enemy in the village area (green contour), then user win, if not then mission failed.
    Also I've tweaked a bit script. Now Soviet will start attack, when user get in the village (green contour).
    Would be nice to randomize Soviet attack starting:
    1. user arrived into village, Soviet attack immediately
    2. user arrived into village, Soviet attack after 3 minutes passed
    3. user arrived into village, Soviet attack after 6 minutes passed
    So far, I don't know how to do that, but I've idea.
    And here's a simple image of the map.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:07 pm