MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

US crew voiced

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

US crew voiced

Post by lockie on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:14 am

Who wants to help with US crew voicing then PM me. I need to replace phrases with "o'clock" on "azimuth".
    There are the next phrases, which should be voiced:
    azimuth - 0
    azimuth - 15
    azimuth - 30
    azimuth - 45
    azimuth - 60
    azimuth - 75
    azimuth - 90
    azimuth - 105
    azimuth - 120
    azimuth - 135
    azimuth - 150
    azimuth - 165
    azimuth - 180
    azimuth - 195
    azimuth - 210
    azimuth - 225
    azimuth - 240
    azimuth - 255
    azimuth - 270
    azimuth - 285
    azimuth - 300
    azimuth - 315
    azimuth - 330
    azimuth - 345
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: US crew voiced

Post by 33lima on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:12 pm

The problem with using the clock code is that in just about every application I can think of, 12 o'clock is straight ahead (straight up, in British Army infantry target indication's 'clock ray' method), and I'm fairly sure that is how the Germans used it in WW2 (as implemented in T-34 v Tiger). IOW 12 o'clock is directly to the front of your vehicle.

In SF, 12 o'clock is due north, 0 or 360 degrees.

That's why, when providing new subtitles, I just replaced 'azimuth' with the more common term 'bearing'. And yes I know that these days anyhow, if not also in WW2, aries used mils not degrees, for compass bearings.

Anyway FWIW I would suggest in both voice mod and subtitle mod that we standardise on using 'Bearing' to indicate direction, because 12 o'clock is not where it should be. Also, the compass rose (top right of screen) is in degrees and is best kept that way.

If you still want to use the clock code, my very old British Voice Pack for Panzer Elits las recodrings for both clock codes and ranges, among other things. It's no longer available on the PEDG website site link but I can post it somewhere.

frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:26 pm

I agree with Lima 33 bearing is the most common English word and understood by all. I know the word azimuth but I am not entirely sure what it means... Using the clock coding in relation to your own tank makes sense. That's also the system they use in Arma I, II, III and IR 1944.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:35 pm

frinik wrote:33 bearing is the most common English word and understood by all.
    Well, don't forget that native English word "bearing" is a well-known words exactly for English ppl. I don't know abt. American.
    But I'm not English neither American and word "bearing" is confused me greatly. In my understanding it is a big animal from the forest or carry on smth very heavy.
    Everybody know what it is "azimuth". It doesn't matter where u're from. It is international word.
    Anyway, the word "azimuth" could be easily replaced on "bearing". That would be nice mod together with a new subtitles.

Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Bearing and azimuth are standard surveying terms.  There is a subtle difference between them however.

This link explains it better than I ever could.  
    http://chrisechterling.com/blog/2009/09/07/what-is-the-difference-between-an-azimuth-and-bearing/

In navigation however, bearing and azimuth are interchangeable terms.  It's too bad the ai crew of the player's tank cannot give contacts using the clock system relative to their own tank's facing.  When using bearings (or azimuth) then the extra step of checking the compass is necessary because bearings are always relative to magnetic north.

In general, most Americans would understand the word bearing without googling it.  I'm not sure that would be the case for the word azimuth.

And I agree that we should not use the o'clock system or terminology unless it is related, as 33lima says, to 12 o'clock being the front of the tank. If that can't be done then we need to stick with bearings related to compass north.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Tanker wrote:
    And I agree that we should not use the o'clock system or terminology
    Sounds reasonable. I'll delete all voiced phrases form English speech as for o'clock orientations. It'll be done in the next update SSM.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 23, 2017 11:29 pm