» Best laptop for playing
by frinik Today at 1:05 am

» Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
by lockie Yesterday at 11:59 pm

» Woofie the Dog's Skin Shop
by woofiedog Yesterday at 9:25 pm

» Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)
by lockie Yesterday at 11:15 am

» All of the command keys are set to ???
by lockie Yesterday at 8:00 am

» Sta scranny 001:Error
by mechanic Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 pm

» Missing Keyboard Defaults
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:10 pm

» Any way to separate infantry from tanks?
by aleader Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:50 pm

» STA(Steel Tank Add-on) 3.2 (Steel Fury)
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 pm

December 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

"Snow Covered Fields of Death" WIP

woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

"Snow Covered Fields of Death" WIP

Post by woofiedog on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:49 pm

Have an idea for a nighttime mission, that is fully base upon facts taken from totally fictionalized historical events and happenings. Smile

The mission...  "Snow Covered Fields of Death"

Soviet forces have taken a severe pounding during the Budapest Offensive in 1 January 1945 thur 26 January 1945. During these bloody and fierce battles the village of Pettend has fallen into German hands.

Remnants from these Soviet forces have fallen back out into the snow covered fields and woods of the countryside.

The German high command has ordered an Armored Task Force to round up these Soviet stragglers or destroy them before they can regroup and start attacking the German supply lines.

The main German Task Force, the "Heavy Jagdgesellschaft 666th Battalion".

And this Task Force is commanded by none other than Germany's home town hero and war legend "Herr Hauptmann Frinik" or also known as the "Geist Avenger" because of his mystical or almost supernatural skills on the battlefield and his ability of spreading fear among the enemy forces.  pirat

Recon Group

1x Opel Blitz/grenadiers

2x SdKfz 251/grenadiers

1x Panzer II Ausf. L "Luchs"

1x Panzer II Ausf. F

Support/Main Task Force

2x SdKfz 234/2 Puma/Gebirgjager Squad 1944

Correction... 2x Pz V ausf G Panther/grenadier platoon

Player's vehicle  1x Pz VI ausf B Tiger II/grenadier platoon

More will be coming soon... so stay tuned to this local station. Smile

Last edited by woofiedog on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:24 am; edited 5 times in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: "Snow Covered Fields of Death" WIP

Post by lockie on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:03 pm

This is great idea!
    Scenario is good, I like it! History note is ready.
    I'd recommend to replace Panther D on Panther A, coz ausf. D was actual one in 1943 and I'm not sure abt. Panzer II Ausf. F presented in 1944. Also Gebirgjager doesn't has a winter camo.
    What does. an opposite force RKKA? AT guns, JS-2?
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:36 am

lockie... This is great idea!

Thank's and also for the help & recommendations for building the mission. Very Happy

lockie... What does. an opposite force RKKA? AT guns, JS-2?

That is a good question, as I need some more info on that subject. The mission is centered on a German "hunting task force" that does not know where the enemy forces are located or what they are made up of after the Soviet forces started their retreat.

These remnants of the original Soviet forces that were holding the village of Pettend, are an enemy that is defeated on the field of battle, but not in their hearts & mind. They are ragtag, tired and lacking in materials, but not in spirit or the will power to continue the struggle and the fight.  

So maybe just for now,  we will keep the Soviet forces a mystery to find out more about during the mission.  Wink
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:02 am

Actually if its a 1944 scenario then use the Panther Ausf G .The A & D models were used and produced in 1943. The G started production in the spring 1944. Use the Luchs it's a 1944 Panzer II model.
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:07 am

frinik... Actually if its a 1944 scenario

The timeline will be Jan/29/45... just after the battle of the village Pettend [Jan/27/45] when it had fallen into German hands. The main focus of the German task force is to destroy the remaining Soviet forces left after the battle of Pettend.

A Panther Ausf G would work out fine, along with the recon unit's Panzer II Ausf. L "Luchs" and the Panzer II Ausf. F.

Also put together a few quotes for the mission. LoL pirat

"In a part of the world where there are no rules, deep in the snow covered woods and fields where nothing that lives is safe, an elite rescue squad is being led by the ultimate warrior. But now, they're up against the ultimate enemy. Nothing like it has ever been on earth before. We cannot see it, but it sees the heat of our bodies and the heat of our fear. It kills for pleasure, it hunts for sport. But this time, it picked the wrong man to hunt."

"Nameless Villager:  When I was little, we found a man. He looked like... like, butchered. The old woman in the village crossed themselves... and whispered crazy things - strange things. "The Devil hunter of men/Dyyavol myslyvetsʹ cholovikiv." Only in thecoldest years this happens - and this year, it grows cold. We begin finding our men. We found them sometimes without their skins... and sometimes much, much worse..."the demon who makes trophies of men/oznachaye " demon , yakyy robytʹ trofeyi cholovikiv"."

"Hauptmann 'Dutch' Frinik: So why don't you use the regular army? What do you need us for?"
    Oberstleutnant George Dillon:  No such thing, old buddy. This is a one way ticket. Once we cross those fields... We're on our own."

Oberstleutnant George Dillon:  Dutch, what the general is sayin' is a couple of our friends are about to get squeezed and we can't let that happen. We need the best. That's why you're here"

"Oberstleutnant George Dillon: Look, we've been looking for this place for months. My men were in that Tiger tank when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and get my men and he disappeared."

“Gefreiter Blain Cooper: You lose it here, you’re in a world of hurt.”

"Hauptmann 'Dutch' Frinik: What happened here, Billy?
    Gefreiter Billy: Strange, Major. There was a firefight. They were shooting in all directions.
    Hauptmann 'Dutch' Frinik: I can't believe Hopper walked into an ambush.
    Gefreiter Billy: I don't believe he did. I can't find a single track. It just doesn't make sense"

"Hauptmann 'Dutch' Frinik: What about the rest of Hopper's men?
    Gefreiter Billy: There's no sign, sir. They never left here. It's like they just disappeared."

"Hauptmann 'Dutch' Frinik:  You still don't understand, Dillon, do you? Whatever it is out there, it killed Hopper, and now it wants us."

"Gefreiter Billy:  There's something out there waiting for us... and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

"Unteroffizier'Mac' Eliot: [while on patrol, to Blain's corpse] Here we are again bro... Just you and me. Same kind of moon, same kind of snow covered landscape. Real number ten, remember... Whole platoon, thirty-two men chopped into meat... We walk out, just you and me, nobody else. Right on top, huh? Not a scratch... Not a hec of a scratch. You know whoever got you, he'll come back again. And when he does I'm gonna cut your name, right into him... I'm gonna cut your name, right into him!!"

"Unteroffizier'Mac' Eliot: Those eyes... disappeared. But I know one thing, Major... [pause] I drew down and fired right at it. Capped-off two hundred rounds and then the 88mm main gun; the full pack. Nothin'... nothin' on this earth could have lived... not at that range."

" Unteroffizier'Mac' Eliot: You're ghostin' us, sucker. I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that?"

"Unteroffizier'Mac' Eliot: Come on in, you suckers... Come on in... "Ol'Painless" is waiting."

“Hauptmann 'Dutch' Frinik:  Come on! Do it! Do it! Come on. Come on! Kill me! I’m here! Kill me! I’m here! Kill me! Come on! Kill me! I’m here! Come on! Do it now! Kill me!”

"Oberstleutnant George Dillon: I guess I picked up some bad habits from you, now get your people the hec out of here!
    Hauptmann 'Dutch' Frinik: You can't win this Dillon.
    Oberstleutnant George Dillon: Maybe I can get even"

Last edited by woofiedog on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total

Technopiper

Post by Technopiper on Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:57 pm

lockie wrote:What does. an opposite force RKKA? AT guns, JS-2?
    None other than the fabled Guard Night Tank Battalion (aka "Babayagas"), equipped with the experimental T-34/100 -- paper thin armor, top speed 70km/h, and armed with the 100mm... The few German tankers who survived an encounter with the "Schwarzpanzer" were ordered shot by the Fuehrer for "spreading defeatist rumors". Does it exist? Perhaps in your wildest nightmares...  affraid  affraid  affraid Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!

woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:29 pm

Technopiper... sound like that X-Files T-34/100 is quite the battlefield beast. LoL Laughing

The history brief for the Snow Covered Fields of Death mission.   Smile

After the Soviet collapse of the Pettend defenses on January 27, 1945, the 135th Tank Brigade conducted a retreat into the neighboring woods and fields to the southeast of the village Pettend.
    German High Command disstrubed by the escape of the Soviet unit, ordered the forming of an armored task force to seek out and destroy these Soviet 135th Tank Brigade survivors before they could regroup and start attacking the German supply lines.
    The "Heavy Jagdgesellschaft 666th Battalion" was then formed on January 28 1945 and was being lead by "Herr Hauptmann Frinik" and a group of volunteers.
    After much delay with problems arising from the late arrival of trucks carrying the ammo and fuel needed to resupply and refueling the vehicles of the task force.  Oberst Frinik was finally able to move his task force out of Pettend on the night of January 29 1945 to give chase to the battered remains of the Soviet 135th Tank Brigade.

Last edited by woofiedog on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:20 pm

SU-1OOY is experimental SPG could be a big surprise for the "Tiger"II.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:27 am

Oberst Frinik??? I wasn't promoted after such a brilliant defence operation against overwhelming Bolshevik forces? Crying or Very sad I want to be Hauptmann|!

Jagdgesellschaft??? A hunt society? May be you meant Panzerjaeger Battalion?
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:17 am

frinik... I want to be Hauptmann!

Do you realize all of the red tape, boot kissing and paper work trail and other German high standard of keeping tract of documentation, that is required and needed before such a promotion can be acquired or just doled out on a silver platter? Shocked

Ok... done. Cool

frinik... Jagdgesellschaft??? A hunt society? May be you meant Panzerjaeger Battalion?

Recheck my spelling and my trusty translator and... "Hunting Party" in German comes out to... "Jagdgesellschaft". cheers

Last edited by woofiedog on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:30 am

lockie... SU-1OOY is experimental SPG could be a big surprise for the "Tiger"II.

Judging by the size of that turret needed to house that 130 mm naval gun... it would have been a real surprise for the German units whether they were ground troops or panzer's that were facing it in combat for the first time, especially in 41 - 42. And the SU-1OOY supposedly did see combat in the battle of Moscow.

Very interesting. Very Happy
    frinik

Post by frinik on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:46 am

MMMM it would have been like the KV-2 a sluggish, underpowered portable gun equipped with a low velocity, long reload gun which would have been lucky to fire 2 shells a minute while being vulnerable to high velocity , fast loading German KwK guns.....

The KV-2 and to a certain extent the SU-152 were failures as anti tank vehicles but limited successes ( as long as they were not under artillery fire or air attacks)or in some circumstance( destroying pillboxes, or fortified emplacements ...
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:50 pm

frinik... MMMM it would have been like the KV-2 a sluggish, underpowered portable gun equipped with a low velocity, long reload gun which would have been lucky to fire 2 shells a minute while being vulnerable to high velocity , fast loading German KwK guns

Wasn't the KV-2 and other such Soviet tank designs really made for knocking out fortified and concrete bunkers. And as far as being used for a anti-tank role, this was a secondary role for these oversize battlefield behemoths.

But back to the mission "WIP" the "Snow Covered Fields of Death". What is really needed for Oberst 'Dutch' Frinik task force is a fast mobile and hard hitting unit. The German task force will really need to move fast in order to catch-up with the ragtag Soviet unit that is fighting for it's very life to make it to safety and the Soviet frontlines to sanctuary.

This will not be a "sit on your butt" and wait around for "things to happen" type of mission. Wink

frinik

Post by frinik on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:49 am

True Woofie but I referred to the fact that the Sov used the SU-152 as an anti tank vehicle with the nickname Zveroboi or something like that which means Beastkiller referring to the fact that it could destroy a Tiger or Panther tank( good luck unless it was point blank and the SU was well concealed and in ambush).

Dutch would be a nickname given to an American tank commander as Americans always confused Deutsch with Dutch( both name actually come from the same source the Teutschen tribe which dwelled in Jutland in the early 2nd century BC and became known as the Teutons to the Romans. That tribe was later assimilated partly by the Angles and partly by the Franks. hence the name Dutch for the inhabitants of the Netherlands as the Franks occupied that country, Belgium , Western Germany, Luxemburg and a large part of the Gaul(France).No German tank commander would have a such a nickname. Sorry for being a finicky-fussy but it's me! Very Happy
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:22 am

frinik... No German tank commander would have a such a nickname.

Uhmmm... let me think for a second, just maybe your correct with this insight. But you see... his mother was "Dutch/American" and that is how he acquired his nickname as he had the same fiery temper as she did.

So as you now see, his name is correct for this mission. cheers
    frinik

Post by frinik on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:39 pm

Hem....Oh well it's a fictitious battle anyway so why not? Rolling Eyes
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:31 pm

frinik... Hem....Oh well it's a fictitious battle anyway so why not? Rolling Eyes

It is very good to hear that your in support of the mission storyline. Wink

Will have some mission maps, but just started having a strange problem when using the ME, I can not move on the map when using the regular keys by pressing 4,6,7,9 in order to move horizontally? Neutral

I am now starting over with a new game setup, to see if I can found out why this is happening. scratch

woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:48 pm

Problem posted above is now fixed. Started with a fresh game setup, but also did a change to my control keys. Presto Chango Alakazam! cheers

So I'm back in business again. Smile
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:08 pm

Woofie, I strongly recommend u to make a copy of the files before u'll apply any changes. Usually, I create up to 100 folders with a spared files to release one mission.
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:14 am

lockie wrote:Woofie, I strongly recommend u to make a copy of the files before u'll apply any changes. Usually, I create up to 100 folders with a spared files to release one mission.

Thank's and will do. Smile
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:52 am

Looking forward to this, although the US-venacular, and names mixed up with German ranks, all set against truly spooky storyline references, was VERY distracting! Oddball meets White Tiger, or what ? Smile

The one thing I would say for any SF mission is this - make the mission like it would be made, in real life.

The player is not in overall command, of the whole force, this being SF not SABOW. This means he is not making the plan or giving the orders, for the attack - SOMEONE ELSE IS. And that is important in several ways: the orders/'briefing' should reflect a realistic plan; this plan should be briefed as such, in the way it would be in real life; and the force commander should be present on the ground, during the battle.

The person who IS making the plan and giving the orders will and should, in any SF mission:

(a) make a sensible plan for the different elements/platoons of his force (to execute the mission objective provided to the force commander by his own boss);

(b) convey that plan simultaneously to all his participating platoon commanders - one of whom is the player - at an O Group (= the mission briefing) Orders are given to all the platoon leaders at this 'briefing', not just to the player, and should tell everybody what they are to do, succinctly;

(c) LEAD THE MISSION on the ground - you need an HQ group, say two or three vehicles of the same type used by the unit the force is formed from (eg in this case 2xPanzerBefehlswagen Panther G) - the force commander, his 2ic/exec officer (and maybe an artillery spotter in an SdKfz 250), 'quarterbacking' behind the lead troops. Perferably, you also need to hear him on the radio net from time to time, urging people on or issuing orders, via event-triggered radio messages.

This mission looks like a sweep to locate and destroy enemy remnants or rearguards, rather than a 'deliberate attack'. It therefore sounds like an 'advance to contact', followed by one or more 'hasty attacks'. The mission plan should see the available force deployed so as to conduct this type of mission - for example, the recce troops in a screen out in front and the 'main force' platoons deployed either 'two up' or 'one up', all advancing (cautiously!) on a selected axis, in bounds.

It is also a good idea (and standard military practice, as you may know) to break the plan down into successive phases and describe it as such, in the orders/briefing eg 'Phase 1 - we will advance to and secure the tree line marked 'Phase 1 obj' on your maps. Phase 2, we will advance to and clear the village of X, further north. In the event of a contact, we will...' That sort of thing, chosen to work with whatever scenario the mission is likely to confront the player with. For example if the player is placed on the right of the company formation at the start, he can be told 'Frinik, you're on the right of the company wedge and in the event of a contact, you are to right flank the enemy while the rest of the force assaults or pins him, from the front.'
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:41 am

33lima... Looking forward to this, although the US-venacular, and names mixed up with German ranks, all set against truly spooky storyline references

Yes, there are are a few details such as the "German ranks" that still need to be looked at and changed to fit the storyline.

33lima...  make the mission like it would be made, in real life.
    And that is important in several ways: the orders/'briefing' should reflect a realistic plan; this plan should be briefed as such, in the way it would be in real life; and the force commander should be present on the ground, during the battle.

As I stated in earlier in the thread... Have an idea for a nighttime mission, that is fully base upon facts taken from totally fictionalized historical events and happenings.

Although the mission is fictional, will be using near historical actions as I can. At the moment I'm reading up on such events that took place on the eastern front and will add this information into the mission.

33lima... The player is not in overall command, of the whole force

That would be an excellent feature for SF, but realistically for SF, the command other than the player's own tank/vehicle and the "Do As I Do" SF command is just about the limit of the player's command authority within the game.

33lima... This mission looks like a sweep to locate and destroy enemy remnants or rearguards, rather than a 'deliberate attack'. It therefore sounds like an 'advance to contact', followed by one or more 'hasty attacks'.

You are correct with your statement here about how I am trying to have the mission unfold for the player.

1. The primary German mission, will be to find and locate Soviet forces.

2. Followed by, destroying these Soviet forces, "so they can not reform and attack German rear supply lines". This is just part of the storyline.

3. And lastly make it safely back to German lines and safety.

1. Soviet mission is fairly simple and will be to survive and make it to the safety of Soviet held lines.

33lima...  the recce troops in a screen out in front and the 'main force' platoons deployed either 'two up' or 'one up', all advancing (cautiously!) on a selected axis, in bounds.

Again with the SF game command limitations, I would really want/like to try and have a "Recon Unit" deployed up front, sweeping for enemy units/rear guard units. This unit will not be able to be strong enough though to fight on it's own. And will need the main unit as backup and support.

Don't want to give away mission secrets... but there needs to be a simple, let's say a "paper trail" for the player to follow with this night time mission. I really do not expect this Recon unit to, make it. Sort of "Lead the way O" Lamb's of Slaughter". LoL Laughing

Thank's for the interest with the mission and also for taking the time with the helpful hints and insight of mission building.

Again thank's.
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:50 am

Lockie... I ran into a problem with trying to make a simple screenshot of the mission map. I can not make a screenshot of the whole Pettend map?

So far I can only take small screenshot's of a small area of the map and not of the whole map area.

Thank's for any help. Neutral
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:18 am

woofiedog wrote:Lockie... I ran into a problem with trying to make a simple screenshot of the mission map. I can not make a screenshot of the whole Pettend map?
    It's easy deal. D/l mission through ME, then pick up a good angle of the camera, then press Alt+PrtScr. U've got image in the memory buffer. Now start Painter(or any) and Ctr+V and save jpeg sunny
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Thank's for the help. Smile

PS... I have already ran into "why" you need to make a hundred "copies" and see that you just might need more. LoL Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:38 am