MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

AI response

KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Re: AI response

Post by KurtTank on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:35 am

frinik wrote:Unfortunately Kurt the AI is suicidal in this game. The tanks don't retreat( only the infantry and truly in some really, really dire situations only).They rarely take cover, they expose their rear ends or their flanks to other tanks, they fixate on infantry neglecting more dangerous or imminent threats etc...Truly the code would have to be rewritten to improve the AI behaviour. Try decreasing morale in the ME and moving the experience slider to the max and see if it makes a difference. Also ascribe a defence script might help a bit.
    Sounds good, I'll try your suggestions!
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:37 am

cheers
    woofiedog wrote:A screen that sort of tells the story of the SF AI no matter how they try. Razz

frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:39 am

This is what happens when you give thee a scripts that says" Drive straight up!" Surprised
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:31 pm

KurtTank wrote:Is there a setting for the distance that tanks, other units, react to threats?
    lockie wrote:Yes, u've to increase the effective shell distance. Let's take the shell BR350B for the T-34/76/43.
    data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\tech_cfg\t34_42.engcfg
    Parameters of this shell are located in the file:
    data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\common\common_res.engcfg

BR350B,0x01,%SHELL_AP%,F34, 655,42,0.85,0.1,0,1,1,0,6.5,0.12,0.11,6,1.2,1.2,0.3,0,1,1,1,expl_gndl*,expl_techl*,expl_buildl*,expl_water*,expl_human*,fly1,0,1500,1,txt_shell_br350b,ap_expl_pat,rico_pat,piece_pat,0,1,1,1,1,0xffff4040,3,1,1,SHELL_BR350B,SHELLC_T34;
    where
    1500 - effective shell distance, meters
    Change on 3000, then AI will shoot at u on any early convenience from the any point of the polygon, coz the real polygon size is 2x2km.
    Well, then I get front glacis penetrations or spalling on the Tiger II at 1200m from a T-34/85! I have tweaked the shell values a bit, so the next step in getting tanks to react to, but not defeat, the attack, is to modify the morale and experience.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:02 am

KurtTank, why don't u share er missions with SF Community? It's possible to make them as a "standalone" mode.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:13 pm

I have my shell parameters set at 2500 metres for shells of 75mm and above and 2000 metres for lower calibre ones since 2011. It works. I get shot and killed by the AI at well over 1800 metres....

On the other hand setting morale at 100% simply reduces the chance the AI will retreat if overwhelmed. Giving them 100% experience in my own experience has not resulted in them being smarter unfortunately...
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:50 pm

frinik wrote:I have my shell parameters set at 2500 metres for shells of 75mm and above and 2000 metres for lower calibre ones since 2011. It works. I get shot and killed by the AI at well over 1800 metres....

On the other hand setting morale at 100% simply reduces the chance the AI will retreat if overwhelmed. Giving them 100% experience in my own experience has not resulted in them being smarter unfortunately...

I get it. Very true. I upped the morale and experience to 100%, and shell values to 3000m. Gave them 100% advantage in the Options. Also have many (20?) tanks reacting to my scouting mission initially, and another delayed tank response (18) from two directions. Helps some. I just want them to at least start shooting as I'm attacking from long distances. I did increase armor values on the Tiger II and Jagdtiger to reflect the fact that it was pretty much impossible to get killed in these vehicles at longer distances.

The main point is to have them at least shooting at me with everything they have with the remote possibility that I might be killed....increases the stress of combat and makes the game more fun and challenging. Still not where I want it to be. Average 50+ kills (I also increased number of shells  Embarassed ), and very few hits on my tank. They always close to very close proximity before even trying to fire. It's rare that they get a shot off before I do. Wish that could be fixed.

Now to add artillery to the mix!
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:11 pm

lockie wrote:KurtTank, why don't u share er missions with SF Community? It's possible to make them as a "standalone" mode.

Lockie, I have changed quite a few things that most in SF community probably wouldn't accept, e.g., increased number of tank shells for my tank, increased armor values for the Tiger II and Jagdtiger (imho is more realistic), slightly decreased shell effectiveness for the Soviet shells because the increased armor values don't completely reflect reality (my Tiger II was getting killed at 2000m by T-34/85), etc.

I have, as compensation, increased the overall number of attacking tanks to around 70?, with many attacking me immediately. It doesn't help since they usually don't fire until very close and I nearly always seem to beat them to the punch. I also increased shell distance to 3000m for the SU-85/100 and T-34/85, so theoretically they should start firing sooner during my attack. Unfortunately, it's still lopsided as I rack up 50+ kills per game.

I could send it out, but I think it's so vastly different from the missions I've seen, that it would be somewhat embarrassing for everyone to see the changes I've made. I have posted quite a few videos of action to YouTube if you want to check it out and give me feedback. One thing I should note is I do not use the gunner sight like most, but have nearly (Embarassed ) perfected blind-sighting to fire the main gun and machine gun. There, a little disclaimer. Action is usually hot, and it has been a lot of fun, but I wish the ai was far more aggressive in at least firing sooner and more often.

Here is my channel on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYwIHYeQVUD6nwc8y8FqMqA
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:40 pm

KurtTank wrote:
    I just want them to at least start shooting as I'm attacking from long distances.
    U may try to increase the height of er tank:
    ...data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\tech_cfg\ktiger.engcfg
    //visibility
    vis_factor =3;
    on
    vis_factor=10;

KurtTank wrote:
    I have changed quite a few things that most in SF community probably wouldn't accept, e.g., increased number of tank shells for my tank, increased armor values for the Tiger II and Jagdtiger
    I don't see any problems to share er missions with a new adjustments.
    Just make compilation with mission and common_units/common_res files and whatever files u need to add to.
    I've to say that it was my experience before the first GMP. I released missions with new adjustments and new files. It was a method: install-play-uninstall. Finally, when I compiled many missions, I decided to make my first mod: SPM1.5NTA1.3. Now it is STA Smile

I could send it out, but I think it's so vastly different from the missions I've seen, that it would be somewhat embarrassing for everyone to see the changes I've made.
    Then let's try  Basketball

I have posted quite a few videos of action to YouTube if you want to check it out and give me feedback. Here is my channel on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYwIHYeQVUD6nwc8y8FqMqA
    OK, I'll have a look.
    Why don't u share er videos here?
    http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t151p30-video-from-sf
    frinik

Post by frinik on Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:53 am

KurtTank wrote:

I have changed quite a few things that most in SF community probably wouldn't accept, e.g., increased number of tank shells for my tank, increased armor values for the Tiger II and Jagdtiger

Kurt let me re-assure you, I have been making changes to the tech _cfg files and common res ones in my installaitons since 2010. In order to compensate for the lack of mechanism to obtain resup[plies in game I have , for example, added a new line in the tech_cfg of most tanks to have additional shells.All I need to do is press 1 twice and the new supply of shells appears. I even had a mod that allowed the wood bridges to go up in flame in game. I have lost it but could easily find it.

I have buffed the values of the penetration of AP shells of the JS-2, the Tiger I and II and the Panther to make them more in line with historical data. I also corrected the values of the shells complements to 60 APs and 32 HEs for the Tiger I & 48 APs and 38 HEs for the Tiger II  and likewise for many other tanks as per historical data. I have increased armour values for many tanks  and made many changes. The smoke and fire effects in game we use now are the results of my tinkering with them for 2 years. There's no shame or embarrassment to have .This is how mods are born because people refuse to accept the status quo and wants something more. This is a game not an object of art. By all means experiment and don't be shy to share with others what you have found. This why we have a forum!
    Many of us have made changes.

I would caution you not to make some of the German tanks indestructible juggernauts so you don't ruin your fun. I look for exactly the same things in SF as you do. The thrill of hunting and being hunted. However I have made sure that my tanks are as strong as per historical data without them being OP. I have buffed some of the Soviet tanks that were too weak in my opinion. If you want I can email you my tech_cfg and common res files so you can see what I have done and may be use it if you want.
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:40 pm

frinik wrote:KurtTank wrote:

Kurt let me re-assure you, I have been making changes to the tech _cfg files and common res ones in my installaitons since 2010. In order to compensate for the lack of mechanism to obtain resup[plies in game I have , for example, added a new line in the tech_cfg of most tanks to have additional shells.All I need to do is press 1 twice and the new supply of shells appears. I even had a mod that allowed the wood bridges to go up in flame in game. I have lost it but could easily find it.

I have buffed the values of the penetration of AP shells of the JS-2, the Tiger I and II and the Panther to make them more in line with historical data. I also corrected the values of the shells complements to 60 APs and 32 HEs for the Tiger I & 48 APs and 38 HEs for the Tiger II  and likewise for many other tanks as per historical data. I have increased armour values for many tanks  and made many changes. The smoke and fire effects in game we use now are the results of my tinkering with them for 2 years. There's no shame or embarrassment to have .This is how mods are born because people refuse to accept the status quo and wants something more. This is a game not an object of art. By all means experiment and don't be shy to share with others what you have found. This why we have a forum!
    Many of us have made changes.

I would caution you not to make some of the German tanks indestructible juggernauts so you don't ruin your fun. I look for exactly the same things in SF as you do. The thrill of hunting and being hunted. However I have made sure that my tanks are as strong as per historical data without them being OP. I have buffed some of the Soviet tanks that were too weak in my opinion. If you want I can email you my tech_cfg and common res files so you can see what I have done and may be use it if you want.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. The fine balance between indestructible and reality is tough to find. I think I tweaked the armor pretty high because I was getting spalling at great distances, which I'm not sure was realistic. That and tweaking shell values has made the Tiger II and Jagdtiger really only vulnerable at shorter distances under 1000-800m by most tanks, esp. the SU-85,100, and T-34/85. Most shots bounce off, and there is not as much of the annoying spalling casualties that were so common before I changed things. It is too bad that the game doesn't deal with the transmission and engine issues at all. That would make things Very interesting!

It's interesting to me that sometimes it takes several hits on a SU-85, SU-100, and T-34/85 before they are killed, so their armor values and strength seem to be pretty accurate. I do not have the knowledge yet to check the armor maps of the Tiger II in particular, which one time actually was taken out by a machine gun bullet under the turret, and several Tiger II tanks in my command that register no hits anywhere on the outside or in the statistics, yet are blazing at the end of the mission. I have even had a Tiger II go up in flames from RDG's! Was that even possible? Maybe, but extremely rare.

My main concern has always been to have the ai have enemy tanks shooting at me from every direction and distance to try and stop my long range gunnery and attack. I have tried all of the suggestions, and, unfortunately, most just sit there, or delay firing, even when 300m away, and it's too easy to take them out and rack up many kills! I changed things to have tanks shifting positions to defensive mode in the town, and others racing to come and get me, but few even fire before I blow them away. Any other suggestions?

I like the idea of the MOD where you get "resupplied". Would be cool if you could go back behind the lines to a "supply" truck and then press 1 twice. That would make it more real.

I would love to see your tech_cfg and common_res files just for comparison purposes. Thanks!

And, once again, thanks for all the tweaking of everything to make the game better. I remember when I first started how there were new smoke and fire effects to add, and that has really changed the realism!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:04 pm

KurtTank wrote: It is too bad that the game doesn't deal with the transmission and engine issues at all.
    The game deal with the transmission and engine. Sometimes engine overheated or damaged, same with transmission. I.e. u can't move forward.
    data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\tech_cfg\misc\damages.engcfg

My main concern has always been to have the ai have enemy tanks shooting at me from every direction and distance to try and stop my long range gunnery and attack. Any other suggestions?
    Make the next changes:
    vis_factor=10;
    arm_fwd =50;
    arm_side =30;
    arm_back=20;
    arm_up =5;
    AI think that it's impossible to hit armor 95mm from 1000 meters, but suppose 50mm would be enough to force AI shoot from the long distance.

I like the idea of the MOD where you get "resupplied". Would be cool if you could go back behind the lines to a "supply" truck and then press 1 twice. That would make it more real.
    See this topic: http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t80-some-words-about-scripting
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:09 am

lockie wrote:The game deal with the transmission and engine. Sometimes engine overheated or damaged, same with transmission. I.e. u can't move forward.
    data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\tech_cfg\misc\damages.engcfg

Okay, I did have that happen once or twice. Thought it was a hit to the transmission. Neutral

KurtTank wrote:My main concern has always been to have the ai have enemy tanks shooting at me from every direction and distance to try and stop my long range gunnery and attack. Any other suggestions?
    lockie wrote:Make the next changes:
    vis_factor=10;
    arm_fwd =50;
    arm_side =30;
    arm_back=20;
    arm_up =5;
    AI think that it's impossible to hit armor 95mm from 1000 meters, but suppose 50mm would be enough to force AI shoot from the long distance.
    But that defeats the whole reality of the tank having thick armor and hard to kill. With 50mm of frontal armor, I'll easily get killed from 2000m away! I increased the visibility to 10, but it seems strange to reduce the armor to 50% thickness just so the ai fires at me. I will be killed by everything!

KurtTank wrote:I like the idea of the MOD where you get "resupplied". Would be cool if you could go back behind the lines to a "supply" truck and then press 1 twice. That would make it more real.
    I'll check it out. Thanks!
    frinik

Post by frinik on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:06 am

Kurt; PM me your email so I can send my files to you!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:59 am

KurtTank wrote:
    lockie wrote:Make the next changes:
    vis_factor=10;
    arm_fwd =50;
    arm_side =30;
    arm_back=20;
    arm_up =5;
    But that defeats the whole reality of the tank having thick armor and hard to kill. With 50mm of frontal armor, I'll easily get killed from 2000m away!
    No, it is information only for AI. Armor thickness wasn't changes. There is armor map and the next parameters are responsible for the armor:
    armor_thick = 100;
    armor_map = armor_maps\ktiger_armor.tga;
    armor_qual = 1.0;
    armor_frail = 0.3;
    armor_str = 2050;
    Before changes AI knew that it'd be impossible to damage er tank from the distance more than 1km, but now u told him:
    Come on, dude. Just try to shoot at me and u'll see it's possible to hit. Just try, coz my frontal armor is just 50mm (in fact u cheated AI, coz er frontal armor was still the same) But u managed to force AI shoot at u from the long distance!
    More details:
    http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t132-vehicle-config

I increased the visibility to 10, but it seems strange to reduce the armor to 50% thickness just so the ai fires at me. I will be killed by everything!
    U don't need to guess did armor become weaker or not. Just place the tank on the mission "Fire ground" and check out. But I may assure u that nothing changed. AI became "smarter" to see u from the long distance and now shoot at u, but I see u're a bit disappointed with this new feature Very Happy
    Then increase parameter:
    armor_str = 5000
    frinik

Post by frinik on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:32 am

WOAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Lockie are you nuts??? Are you seeing Nadia Savchenko in your dreams or what???Might as well implement the invulnerability feature with armour set at 5000!

No need for that Kurt just set your Tiger II at 2080 and the Tiger I at 2060 it's sufficient and realistic. BTW Lockie is absolutely right changing the front armour value doe snot make your tank more vulnerable. When you tired you were probably victim of a lucky shot by the AI. Had nothing to do with your armour being weaker.

To help may I suggest you implement in the mission scripts through the mission editor the in the ' Mode of Movement ' tab at the bottom of the mission editor window you have several options including one which is Attack another is Fire. Use one or the other your AI should attack & shoot from much further away.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:57 am

Come on, Frinik Smile It's just a coefficient, which is responsible for the armor penetration. If u leave armor_frail = 0.3; then it doesn't matter what the coefficient is(u may place 1000000000), coz there will be fragments always. 5000 just prevents the tank from the shell penetration to be sure.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:02 pm

Juts a coefficient!!!At 5000 he is going to be like Hulk or Godzilla! What a Face
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:04 pm

frinik wrote:Kurt; PM  me your email so I can send my files to you!

Done!
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:10 pm

lockie wrote:No, it is information only for AI. Armor thickness wasn't changes. There is armor map and the next parameters are responsible for the armor:
    armor_thick = 100;
    armor_map = armor_maps\ktiger_armor.tga;
    armor_qual = 1.0;
    armor_frail = 0.3;
    armor_str = 2050;
    Before changes AI knew that it'd be impossible to damage er tank from the distance more than 1km, but now u told him:
    Come on, dude. Just try to shoot at me and u'll see it's possible to hit. Just try, coz my frontal armor is just 50mm (in fact u cheated AI, coz er frontal armor was still the same) But u managed to force AI shoot at u from the long distance!
    More details:
    http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t132-vehicle-config

I get it now! Thanks, I'll try that! Thanks for explaining so much to me. How did you learn all this??? tongue

lockie wrote:U don't need to guess did armor become weaker or not. Just place the tank on the mission "Fire ground" and check out. But I may assure u that nothing changed. AI became "smarter" to see u from the long distance and now shoot at u, but I see u're a bit disappointed with this new feature Very Happy
    Then increase parameter:
    armor_str = 5000

Whoa, I don't think I'll do that!  sunny
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:15 pm

frinik wrote:WOAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Lockie are you nuts??? Are you seeing Nadia Savchenko in your dreams or what???Might as well implement the invulnerability feature with armour set at 5000!

cheers

frinik wrote:No need for that Kurt just set your Tiger II at 2080 and the Tiger I at 2060 it's sufficient and realistic. BTW Lockie is absolutely right changing the front armour value doe snot make your tank more vulnerable. When you tired you were probably victim of a lucky shot by the AI. Had nothing to do with your armour being weaker.

Got it, thanks! Very Happy

frinik wrote:To help may I suggest you implement in the mission scripts through the mission editor the in the ' Mode of Movement ' tab at the bottom of the mission editor window you have several options including one which is Attack another is Fire. Use one or the other your AI should attack & shoot from much further away.

How about the tanks guarding the town? They are within range (barely), and should shoot at me, too. I think I'll add Fire mode, and see what happens. Maybe the mission won't be so easy from now on! lol!
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:18 pm

lockie wrote:Come on, Frinik Smile It's just a coefficient, which is responsible for the armor penetration. If u leave armor_frail = 0.3; then it doesn't matter what the coefficient is(u may place 1000000000), coz there will be fragments always.  5000 just prevents the tank from the shell penetration to be sure.

What was the incidence of spalling from hits on the outside of the Tiger II and Jagdtiger? Any knowledge of how much it happened? I currently have a value of .0001, just make it possible, but highly unlikely. Historically, is that too low?
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Scripting

Post by KurtTank on Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:55 am

So I want to make sure the tanks in the town (Soviet Defense), the tanks responding to my position (Soviet Response), and the tanks reacting to the town being attacked (Russian Counter) all fire at me to defend their position during my attack. Here are the scripts:

Russian Counter()
    {

wait_time, 1500;
    ext, ai_form, 0;
    ext, ai_setstate, 0x1, 0x8;
    ext, ai_move, zone31, false, -1, 30;
    ext, ai_setstate, 0, 0x2;
    }

Soviet Defense()
    {

wait_time, 60;
    ext, ai_setstate, 0, 0;
    ext, ai_move, zone31, false, -1, 35;
    ext, ai_defence, , 15, 500;
    }

Soviet Response()
    {

wait_time, 120;
    ext, ai_form, 0;
    ext, ai_setstate, 0, 0x8;
    ext, ai_move, zone500, false, -1, 35;
    }

The last ai_setstates are Movement mode Fire

Have I got it right?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:27 am

[quote="KurtTank"]
    lockie wrote:I currently have a value of .0001, just make it possible, but highly unlikely. Historically, is that too low?
    As my my point - get a fun from the mission is more important than calculation how it closer to reality.

KurtTank wrote:
    ext, ai_defence, ???, 15, 500;
    U didn't specify defence area. Why don't u place AT guns?
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:14 am

lockie wrote:ext, ai_defence, ???, 15, 500;
    u didn't specify defence area.

Just not for the Soviet Response script....do I need to?

lockie wrote:Why don't u place AT guns?
    They are there, but the ones in the town usually get chewed up by the artillery strike. Some survive, and I have random appearances throughout the periphery of the battlefield.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm