MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

AI response

KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

AI response

Post by KurtTank on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:27 am

Is there a way to make tanks start moving around when I'm attacking from far away. The tanks just sit there motionless as I pick them off from out of range of their guns. Can we make them move to cover or away after the first one is hit?
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Re: AI response

Post by frinik on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:00 am

Are you talking about a stock mission or a mission you made yourself?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:01 am

KurtTank wrote:Is there a way to make tanks start moving around when I'm attacking from far away.
    According to my expirience, AI works better without script. If u can shoot stupid AI from the long distance, then provide AI with cover:
    - trench
    - bushes/trees
    or force him to counter-attack or bring an enemy aviation/shelling on er position

dukling

Post by dukling on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:29 pm

Good to Accelerate Time in mission, especially in ambush in 4 or 6 times. Smile
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:51 am

frinik wrote:Are you talking about a stock mission or a mission you made yourself?
    My own.
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:58 am

lockie wrote:According to my experience, AI works better without script.
    Script for the defenders? Or attackers?

lockie wrote: If u can shoot stupid AI from the long distance, then provide AI with cover:
    - trench
    - bushes/trees
    or force him to counter-attack or bring an enemy aviation/shelling on er position
    They are in revetments, behind bushes, etc., but still too easy. They only move when I get within close range, 1000m or less, I think. I upped their skill level and experience, but they still only move backwards and it takes a while for them to shoot.
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:59 am

dukling wrote:Good to Accelerate Time in mission, especially in ambush in 4 or 6 times. Smile
    ?? I'm not aware of any acceleration except the 2x during play.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:58 am

KurtTank wrote:Script for the defenders? Or attackers?
    Any.

They are in revetments, behind bushes, etc., but still too easy.
    The game has limits. The main limit is - stupidness AI.
    If mission is too easy then u've to put in the game more challenge:
    - bring aviation & artillery against user
    - limit shells, i.e. 20xHE + 2xAP (column with ammo was destroyed)
    But u can't make AI smarter than it is.
    AFAIK, first great step to increase AI smartness was in "Achtung Kharkiv, 1943". Then in the "Seel blaze", but this game intended for developers and for those who shared their point of view - how tanksim should be. Though, there were rumors(~2 years ago) that Graviteam finally satisfied their ambitious and had a plans to make a new classic tanksim game: Khalkhin Gol 1939. Personally, I don't believe such rumors.

Last edited by lockie on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:50 am; edited 4 times in total
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:04 am

Short a rewriting the code the AI will remain how it is in game like the graphics .You would need to modify the game engine to improve either.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:51 am

Frinik, Steel Fury has no future. It is obsolete game, which still alive only because some new missions and landscapes. No future at all.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:05 pm

I beg to differ. Games like Panzer Elite (17 years old), Arma 2 ( 6 years old), IL2 ( 2006)are still going strong and being modded. Even BF2 which is also 1also almost 10 years old is still modded and played. You my friend have done your share to make sure this game has .
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:11 pm

frinik wrote:Games like Panzer Elite (17 years old), Arma 2 ( 6 years old), IL2 ( 2006)are still going strong and being modded. Even BF2 which is also 1also almost 10 years old is still modded and played.
    U forget to say - online Smile
    All games by Graviteam are out of online. It does that devs do not interested to develop game in the future. Hey, I remember there were words from lead programmer that old games are just obstacles for the new ones, coz users still pay attention to the oldy instead buy the new ones. Thus, old games prevent the development of the new projects.
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:49 pm

lockie wrote:The game has limits. The main limit is - stupidness AI.
    If mission is too easy then u've to put in the game more challenge:
    - bring aviation & artillery against user
    - limit shells, i.e. 20xHE + 2xAP (column with ammo was destroyed)
    But u can't make AI smarter than it is.
    AFAIK, first great step to increase AI smartness was in "Achtung Kharkiv, 1943". Then in the "Seel blaze", but this game intended for developers and for those who shared their point of view - how tanksim should be. Though, there were rumors(~2 years ago) that Graviteam finally satisfied their ambitious and had a plans to make a new classic tanksim game: Khalkhin Gol 1939. Personally, I don't believe such rumors.
    Understood, I have to twaek the game to more advantage for the opponent.
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:50 pm

frinik wrote:Short a rewriting the code the AI will remain how it is in game like the graphics .You would need to modify the game engine to improve either.
    Got it.
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:50 pm

frinik wrote:I beg to differ. Games like Panzer Elite (17 years old), Arma 2 ( 6 years old), IL2 ( 2006)are still going strong and being modded. Even BF2 which is also 1also almost 10 years old is still modded and played. You my friend have done your share to make sure this game has  .
    True that.
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:51 pm

lockie wrote:
    frinik wrote:Games like Panzer Elite (17 years old), Arma 2 ( 6 years old), IL2 ( 2006)are still going strong and being modded. Even BF2 which is also 1also almost 10 years old is still modded and played.
    U forget to say - online Smile
    All games by Graviteam are out of online. It does that devs do not interested to develop game in the future. Hey, I remember there were words from lead programmer that old games are just obstacles for the new ones, coz users still pay attention to the oldy instead buy the new ones. Thus, old games prevent the development of the new projects.
    Could be right.

dukling

Post by dukling on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:16 am

Maybe there are still young modmeykerov such as Maxim, extend the time of our favorite games. Very Happy
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:32 am

dukling wrote:Maybe there are still young modmeykerov such as Maxim, extend the time of our favorite games. Very Happy
    cheers
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:33 am

Is there a setting for the distance that tanks, other units, react to threats? I could reset that setting to higher range. If I can see them, they should be able to see me and react.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:29 am

@ Lockie: I doubt people play Panzer Elite for the Multiplayer part. It's truly a more single player oriented sim. Arma 2 is played 3 times more as SP game than as an MP one.

@ Kurt , if you want the opposing tanks to move ahead of yours in your user-made mission you have to give them a movement script in the mission editor. There's a Scripts tab which you can click on. The default script is called dummy. Just click on the bluish Scripts rectangle to the left and you'll see tab asking you to name the script will pop up. Just give the name you want( sov_move or whatever. Then the Operations Script will be highlighted. You click on it and below there's another one called Type of Operation.The default is called unknown but just drag down the tab and you'll find amongst other one called movement. Just enter the zone where you want the units chosen to move and add extra details with the set parameter tab at the bottom left like attack for example. Just make sure you ascribe that script to the units chosen in the units tab save and bingo your enemy units will start moving towards the chosen objective the moment you start your mission and will also fire at your tank or any of your units in the way even form as far away as 2000 metres.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:23 am

KurtTank wrote:Is there a setting for the distance that tanks, other units, react to threats?
    Yes, u've to increase the effective shell distance. Let's take the shell BR350B for the T-34/76/43.
    data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\tech_cfg\t34_42.engcfg
    Parameters of this shell are located in the file:
    data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\common\common_res.engcfg

BR350B,0x01,%SHELL_AP%,F34, 655,42,0.85,0.1,0,1,1,0,6.5,0.12,0.11,6,1.2,1.2,0.3,0,1,1,1,expl_gndl*,expl_techl*,expl_buildl*,expl_water*,expl_human*,fly1,0,1500,1,txt_shell_br350b,ap_expl_pat,rico_pat,piece_pat,0,1,1,1,1,0xffff4040,3,1,1,SHELL_BR350B,SHELLC_T34;
    where
    1500 - effective shell distance, meters
    Change on 3000, then AI will shoot at u on any early convenience from the any point of the polygon, coz the real polygon size is 2x2km.
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:48 pm

frinik wrote:@ Kurt , if you want the opposing tanks to move ahead of yours in your user-made mission you have to give them a movement script in the mission editor. There's a Scripts tab which you can click on. The default script is called dummy. Just click on the bluish Scripts rectangle to the left and you'll see tab asking you to name the script will pop up. Just give the name you want( sov_move or whatever. Then the Operations Script will be highlighted. You click on it and below there's another one called Type of Operation.The default is called unknown but just drag down the tab and you'll find amongst other one called movement. Just enter the zone where you want the units chosen to move and add extra details with the set parameter tab at the bottom left like attack for example. Just make sure you ascribe that script to the units chosen in the units tab save and bingo your enemy units will start moving towards the chosen objective the moment you start your mission and will also fire at your tank or any of your units in the way even form as far away as 2000 metres.
    Got it. I just thought there might be a better way.
    KurtTank
    Best Modmaker
    Best Modmaker

Post by KurtTank on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:51 pm

KurtTank wrote:Is there a setting for the distance that tanks, other units, react to threats?
    lockie wrote:Yes, u've to increase the effective shell distance. Let's take the shell BR350B for the T-34/76/43.
    data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\tech_cfg\t34_42.engcfg
    Parameters of this shell are located in the file:
    data\k42\loc_rus\levels\levels\common\common_res.engcfg

BR350B,0x01,%SHELL_AP%,F34, 655,42,0.85,0.1,0,1,1,0,6.5,0.12,0.11,6,1.2,1.2,0.3,0,1,1,1,expl_gndl*,expl_techl*,expl_buildl*,expl_water*,expl_human*,fly1,0,1500,1,txt_shell_br350b,ap_expl_pat,rico_pat,piece_pat,0,1,1,1,1,0xffff4040,3,1,1,SHELL_BR350B,SHELLC_T34;
    where
    1500 - effective shell distance, meters
    Change on 3000, then AI will shoot at u on any early convenience from the any point of the polygon, coz the real polygon size is 2x2km.
    Thanks, I will adjust!
    frinik

Post by frinik on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:13 am

Unfortunately Kurt the AI is suicidal in this game. The tanks don't retreat( only the infantry and truly in some really, really dire situations only).They rarely take cover, they expose their rear ends or their flanks to other tanks, they fixate on infantry neglecting more dangerous or imminent threats etc...Truly the code would have to be rewritten to improve the AI behaviour. Try decreasing morale in the ME and moving the experience slider to the max and see if it makes a difference. Also ascribe a defence script might help a bit.
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:10 pm

A screen that sort of tells the story of the SF AI no matter how they try. Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:39 pm