May 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Cockpit for the T-34/76 mod.1942/43

Pointer

Cockpit for the T-34/76 mod.1942/43

Post by Pointer on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:54 pm

I'd like to present the cockpit for the T-34/76 mod.1942/43.  This is an adaptation of the "stockgame" T-34 mod.1941 cockpit by Graviteam.
    For that reason all of you know it perfectly, so I describe only modifications I've done.

The major difference you'll find on the driver's station: his hatch has been equipped with 2 periscopes (instead of 1, as it was in the mod.1941).
    The SF Object Editor has no posibilities of creative modeling, but luckily 2 mod.1941 hull-mounted driver's periscopes could be used for this purpose.

There are 4 FPS cameras provided for the driver:
    - stock-origin "rotations and movements" universal camera,
    - new "rotations only" camera, representing the maximally comfortable driver's position for driving with the fully open hatch,
    - new "semi-unbuttoned" camera, IMO more realistic and better for precise manoeuvres then "unbuttoned" camera,
    - stock-origin "unbuttoned" camera (must be present in the project, otherwise the AI doesn't open the driver's hatch while quiet and no the enemy).

While the hatch is closed, the "semi-unbuttoned" camera has "too close" issue, but without transparency to the external world.  So please tolerate this issue, because the camera has been designed for use with the hatch open, at least partially.

The driver's #1 and #2, and the radist's cameras have wide (150 degs per side) FOV and allow to look back at the gunner and the loader.  In particular, you can observe the loader's job.

Why so many cameras and - generally - so much attention to the driver's position?  Because, IMO, this is the most important element of the cockpit project: the driver's station is the only place of the player's sensible in-game activity without using sights.  In other words, without using sights, you can only enjoy driving your virtual tank.  And the T-34, with its high dynamics and the driver's hatch placed in the frontal armour plate, offers very attractive FPS perspective for this purpose.

The second (and the last) change of the cockpit model has been done on the loader's station: you won't find there the periscope (of course it hasn't been deleted, only hidden).

The gunner's and the loader's in-cockpit FPS cameras have limited FOV, because of necessity of hidding the turret ceiling incompatibility (one common hatch in the cockpit model and two separate hatches in the external tank model).
    Their "unbuttoned" cameras have typical parameters.  The same in the case of the gunner's "through the barrel" view.

Moreover the cockpit implementation:
    - repaired the gunner's periscope animation,
    - fixed replaced animation of the driver's left/right periscope caps,
    - 20% enlargement of d_hole_01 chunk (for proper driver's presentation on his recalibrated position)(*),
    - the headlight geometry and efficiency corrected,
    - the rear light added (the virtual bulb only),
    - new feature of the aerial position control (linked to the gunner's hatch),
    - new configuration option of common randomization of both wings (fenders) existence (**),
    - parameter "mesh_lods=1" has been set (***),
    - in common_res.engcfg file corrected settings of T-34-42 shells 3d models for loading animations.

*) This is of course a part of the cockpit implementation, but reported separately as a change of a non-S-class chunk of the tank model.

**) In other words, both fenders are present or both are lacking. Of course, individual randomization still available.

***) Because, unfortunately, not only "decorations", but also the turret hatches and all 3 "black holes" belong to lod #2, and that results in bugy transparency effects.

Setting "mesh_lods=1" solves presented above problems, of course only if your PC has enough CPU/GPU power.

So that's all.  The download link here:

http://sendfile.pl/pokaz/450421---ACfv.html
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Cockpit for the T-34/76 mod.1942/43

Post by lockie on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:10 am

Excellent work!
    Though 2 LOD should be presented.

dukling

Post by dukling on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:50 am

Thank you very much, Mr. Pointer! Very Happy
    Pointer

Post by Pointer on Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:47 pm

lockie wrote:Though 2 LOD should be presented.

Here you are: the comparision of LODs.

IMO:
    - lack of small parts - OK,
    - lack of the bow MG - I've doubts,
    - lack of the external fuel tanks - I've serious doubts,
    - lack of the turret hatches and "black holes" - not acceptable.

The T-34 is the most important Soviet tank in the game.

So, IMO, the configuration parameter "mesh_lods=1" should be set.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:39 pm

Pointer wrote:
    Here you are: the comparision of LODs.
    There should be a compromise between detailed model and gameplay. I didn't receive so far any complains abt. T-34/43 second LOD. Anyway, user have a choice to set up only one LOD in tech.engcfg.

BTW
    Do u've a skill in 3D modeling? If so, then me may try to put the cockpit into T-34/85 or Pz.III N.
    T-34/85 is more preferable choice, coz there is possibility to make a Polish units (ie 3xT-34/85+infantry) and organize a new mission. Of course, we can create such unit right now, but without so nifty feature(sweety candy) as cockpit, it'll be yet another ordinary mission with a slightly changed uniform of the soldiers.
    check PM
    Luftangreifer

Post by Luftangreifer on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:28 pm

looking nice Very Happy

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:52 pm

lockie wrote:
    BTW
    Do u've a skill in 3D modeling? If so, then me may try to put the cockpit into T-34/85 or Pz.III N.
    T-34/85 is more preferable choice, coz there is possibility to make a Polish units (ie 3xT-34/85+infantry) and organize a new mission. Of course, we can create such unit right now, but without so nifty feature(sweety candy) as cockpit, it'll be yet another ordinary mission with a slightly changed uniform of the soldiers.
    check PM

A very nice version of the T-34/85 cockpit is included in the game "T34 vs Tiger". I remember that Donken ported the Tiger cockpit included in "T34 vs Tiger" to Steel Fury, and now we have a marvelous cockpit for the Tiger in Steel Fury... Perhaps the T-34/85 cockpit could be also ported to Steel Fury? Just an idea !

Txema

Pointer

Post by Pointer on Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:11 pm

lockie wrote:Do u've a skill in 3D modeling? If so, then me may try to put the cockpit into T-34/85 or Pz.III N.
    I haven't. More in PM.

The T-34/76 M43 is more important for the Polish Army then T-34/85 (the first battle: Lenino 12-Oct-1943).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lenino
    https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%B0_%D0%BF%D1%96%D0%B4_%D0%9B%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%96%D0%BD%D0%BE
    http://www.nowastrategia.org.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/lenino.jpg
    And Polish infantry uniforms were more different from Soviet then "slightly".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 23, 2017 9:33 pm