Latest topics

May 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Friendly Fire?

spookytooth

Friendly Fire?

Post by spookytooth on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:55 am

Has anyone else suffered with friendly fire? That's two nights running I've been knocked out by my own side!

Last night I was in a mission with a Hetzer to hold a hill position and I suddenly got a shot out of the blue in the rear. It turned out to be a Marder III at about 150 meters range. It wasn't dug in and I had been stationary for a few minutes so it must have manoeuvred into a firing position.

Don't get me wrong, I love the confusion in battle, nervous crews, disorientation etc. but I'm beginning to worry about my Kameraden!  pale

It's a great touch of realism if it's intentional though  Very Happy
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Friendly Fire?

Post by lockie on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:06 pm

spookytooth wrote:
    Last night I was in a mission with a Hetzer to hold a hill position and I suddenly got a shot out of the blue in the rear. It turned out to be a Marder III at about 150 meters range.
    Shit happens Smile
    spookytooth

Post by spookytooth on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:14 pm

Lol!! jocolor Laughing
    Barcelona Blom

Post by Barcelona Blom on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:44 pm

Quite a few times I'll be trying to line the gunsight up on an enemy when the tank starts moving on it's own - the first time it happened I was puzzled until I switched into external view ( which I never normally use, this isn't World Of Tanks Wink ) and found a friendly tank had blundered into me and was trying to mate with my tank just like tortoises do.
    Now I know what is happening I just move forward for a short distance, while swearing copiously Very Happy

A number of times friendly tanks have passed right into my gunsight at close range just as I am about to fire - as yet I haven't killed one though.
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:48 am

Friendly fire is common occurrence in SF because the AI is dim-witted and will accidentally shoot you if you are in their line of fire. Every round when I look at the stats I see friendly tanks amongst the kills registered by AI-manned tanks. The record was as JS-2 in one mission I played which managed to kill another JS-2 and a T34/85 and 16 infantry without even killing a German! I also confess having killed friendlies sometimes when shooting from afar through mistaken identity Embarassed and sometime because they wander in my sights just as I let loose a shot...
    During WW2 cases of friendly fire were commonplace particularly with aircraft mistakenly firing on friendlies but also on the ground in the heat of battle.
    spookytooth

Post by spookytooth on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:40 am

I must admit I do struggle with infantry. In an assault on a position I often get left behind whilst I'm busy shooting, and by the time I've caught up the troops I've supposed to be supporting are well in advance. Sometimes it's only a shout in Russian or German outside of my tank that makes me realise where the lines are!

Oh and I have been known to run over a few of my own - these guys seem to have suicidal tendencies sometimes!

The important thing is, whether it's intentional or bad AI, I take it in the spirit of the game and like you guys say, it's a real life tendency, so ce la vie (or not as the case may be) Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 28, 2017 4:03 am