Latest topics

» Calculation of the armor penetration
by lockie Today at 7:44 pm

» T-34/85/D5Т
by Glushak Today at 3:56 pm

» Airplane shotdown!
by Glushak Today at 2:16 pm

» Campaign "The Nazi power" (Pz.VI "Tiger")
by lockie Today at 6:53 am

» Terminated russian occupants in Ukraine
by lockie Yesterday at 8:16 pm

» Танк Пантера Д/А/Г/ Panther ausf.D,A,G
by will73 Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:30 pm

» Movie The Man with the Iron Heart
by plug_nickel Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:28 pm

» Question about german hetzer tank crew uniform
by plug_nickel Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:26 pm

» STA3.2 version
by plug_nickel Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:24 pm

October 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Reliability mod ?

Barcelona Blom

Reliability mod ?

Post by Barcelona Blom on Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:20 pm

We all know that the German big cats didn't have the reliability of most allied tanks, especially the early model Panther. I wonder if it could be incorporated into the game somehow ?

Not as a case of random total failures, I think that might wreck the gameplay ( oh, the engine blew up, that's the end of the mission, start again ) - but some kind of limitations as to how you can drive them if you wish to avoid overheating and transmission failures. The Panther in particular didn't like to be turned and reversed at the same time.

I suppose the big question - if anyone thinks it's a good idea - would be if it's possible to implement ?
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Re: Reliability mod ?

Post by frinik on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:25 pm

MMMM the maps are so small in my opinion as to make this option not really realistic. I also thought of it but in terms of for example limiting the radius of action of tanks like the Tiger I and II, Jadgtiger and Elefant because of their huge fuel consumption. Likewise some of the Soviet tanks were prone to breakdowns and unreliability( bad filters etc). If the maps were large a la Arma then we could make a case for it.
    Barcelona Blom

Post by Barcelona Blom on Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:19 pm

frinik wrote:MMMM the maps are so small in my opinion as to make this option not really realistic. I also thought of it  but in terms of for example limiting the radius of action of tanks like the Tiger I and II, Jadgtiger and Elefant because of their huge fuel consumption. Likewise some of the Soviet tanks were prone to breakdowns and unreliability( bad filters etc).  If the maps were large a la Arma then we could make a case for it.

That's a pretty good point.

It's such a shame that the Arma 3 AI handles tanks so terribly - I'm really more into Cold War scenarios than WW2 - particularly WARPAC vs BAOR - with mods Arma 3 can theoretically do all that, but the AI is beyond retarded. They'll crash into trees, buildings etc, can't follow roads properly, suddenly decide to make a 360 turn in the middle of combat instead of facing their front armour to the enemy, fire AP shells at a rifleman while ignoring a Javelin guy or even an MBT...
    Arma is great, but not for AFV's - sorry I was ranting there Smile
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:30 pm

Barcelona Blom wrote:
    frinik wrote:MMMM the maps are so small in my opinion as to make this option not really realistic. I also thought of it  but in terms of for example limiting the radius of action of tanks like the Tiger I and II, Jadgtiger and Elefant because of their huge fuel consumption. Likewise some of the Soviet tanks were prone to breakdowns and unreliability( bad filters etc).  If the maps were large a la Arma then we could make a case for it.

It's such a shame that the Arma 3 AI handles tanks so terribly - I'm really more into Cold War scenarios than WW2 - particularly WARPAC vs BAOR - with mods Arma 3 can theoretically do all that, but the AI is beyond retarded. They'll crash into trees, buildings etc, can't follow roads properly, suddenly decide to make a 360 turn in the middle of combat instead of facing their front armour to the enemy, fire AP shells at a rifleman while ignoring a Javelin guy or even an MBT...

Arma has always sucked for that. I wonder why. It must be difficult to code
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Barcelona Blom wrote:

Yeah you're right there, been the same since OFP (incidentlally now available free from BIS as Arma - 'Cold War Crisis', runs on modern systems and includes resistance but not Red Hammer). I got Iron Front: Liberation 1944 recently and the visuals are great but the tanking...well it tanks, mostly Smile

For Cold War, I'd still rate M1 Tank Platoon 2; and you can still find the user-made Cold War gone hot missions online I believe. Then of course there's SABOW., which I hope will get some additional post-WW2 content as part of the DLC Graviteam are planning. and it already has Chieftain, AI-only for now.

Re BAOR, have you tried this ARMA2 stuff? Must give it a go. The tanking mightn't be great but there's plenty of SLRs, '58 Pattern webbing etc!

There's also Wargame: European Escalation and the Airland Battle sequel. I've just started mission #2 in the former and by completing objective #1 in the first campaign, you get to play with some serious BAOR kit:

Barcelona Blom

Post by Barcelona Blom on Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:46 pm

I've got to admit that I always play Steel Fury from the gunners or commanders seat...I didn't realise that if you actually drive the tank yourself then you can break the engine....

OFP is free now ? I might have to check that out. First person shooters have never really been my thing ( I'm a serious wargamer dammit, give me turn based games with counters on a board - or a combat flight sim with a manual an inch thick Very Happy ) but OFP showed me that the genre isn't at all bad by any means.
    My first firefight in OFP went something like " What do I do ? where do I go ? I'm being shot at but I can't see the enemy, oh crap now I'm dead " - which is pretty much what would happen if I really was sent into combat Smile

I'm building a series of single player missions for Arma 3 which has the player as the leader of an SAS stay behind team during a notional WW-3 just before the end of the Cold War. Except Germany looks a lot like Greece ( aka 'Altis' ) - but let's gloss over that. They aren't sophisticated by any stretch of the imagination, but to complete them you have to adhere to the real SAS doctrine ( go in quick, break things and kill people, then bugger off sharpish before anyone notices ) Very Happy

33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:27 pm

Barcelona Blom wrote:I've got to admit that I always play Steel Fury from the gunners or commanders seat...I didn't realise that if you actually drive the tank yourself then you can break the engine....

OFP is free now ? I might have to check that out. First person shooters have never really been my thing ( I'm a serious wargamer dammit, give me turn based games with counters on a board - or a combat flight sim with a manual an inch thick Very Happy  ) but OFP showed me that the genre isn't at all bad by any means.  
    My first firefight in OFP went something like " What do I do ? where do I go ? I'm being shot at but I can't see the enemy, oh crap now I'm dead " - which is pretty much what would happen if I really was sent into combat Smile

I'm building a series of single player missions for Arma 3 which has the player as the leader of an SAS stay behind team during a notional WW-3 just before the end of the Cold War. Except Germany looks a lot like Greece ( aka 'Altis' ) - but let's gloss over that. They aren't sophisticated by any stretch of the imagination, but to complete them you have to adhere to the real SAS doctrine ( go in quick, break things and kill people, then bugger off sharpish before anyone notices ) Very Happy

Sounds interesting...except that I only have ARMA2, and not Combined Ops for that matter.

I seem to have 'mis-remembered' the free OFP, it is, but apparently you also need the CD key from an original purchase. I got it because I couldn't get my Game of the Year edition to run in Vista, during one of those game nostalgia periods. Got Red Hammer working too, by copying across some files from the CD.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma:_Cold_War_Assault

My technique for not getting shot in OFP usually want something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zekiZYSVdeQ

frinik

Post by frinik on Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:04 am

Barcelona you are aware that you can transpose Arma2 OA's maps into Arma 3 right? There are a couple of good map packs that you can find on Armaholic. I have done that and I have Takistan, Utes, Chernarus, Podagorsk, Namalsk, Fallujah, ToraBora, Thirsk, Thirsk Winter, Clafghan ,Afghan ,
    - Baghdad
    - Dingor Island
    - Lingor Island
    - Everon 2010
    - Panthera

And there are more which you can use to recreate a true German-based scenario.

Yeah the tanking in all Armas sucks .It's not only the AI is the damage modelling which is based on hit points rather than real armour penetration. There's a couple or real armour mods that I have tried but I can't say that I am impressed. What's great about Arma though is the modding community which is unbelievably dynamic. the maps are wonderful and the gameplay can really be fun. But there's no excuse for Bohemia Interactive not to invest more time and efforts in the armour aspect of their sims.
    Barcelona Blom

Post by Barcelona Blom on Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:17 pm

33Lima - I did buy an original copy of OFP - with key of course - back when games came in nice boxes with printed manuals. But after two house moves and an emigration it's long gone.
    Great instructive link, now what do I do if attacked by an enemy soldier with a banana ? Very Happy

Frinik - I have a limited mod which gives me about 6 more Arma 2 maps, something like that anyway. I really should check the other maps out.

Edit :- don't all the 'real armour' mods only work on the stock AFV's ? Or has anyone made one that alters the RHS vehicles ( which are what I use ) as well ? The RHS mods are excellent but the .50 cal on the M113 ACAV can mobility kill a BMP-2 which is just crazy Very Happy maybe they fixed that...
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:16 pm

Barcelona Blom wrote:33Lima - I did buy an original copy of OFP - with key of course - back when games came in nice boxes with printed manuals. But after two house moves and an emigration it's long gone.
    Great instructive link, now what do I do if attacked by an enemy soldier with a banana ? Very Happy

'Don't take chances', is my motto. I'd shoot him, drop the 16-ton weight and then release the tiger, before disarming him by eating the banana...if there was anything left of it, at that point Smile

If that didn't work, I'd call in the Queen's Own McKamikaze Highlanders.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:15 pm

I think it's possible to decrease the reliability of the engine. I mean, gear ratios and gear efficiency should be adjusted to provide engine overheating as fast as possible.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:51 pm