Latest topics

» Hello, new to Steel Fury/STA... where do I start?
by frinik Today at 4:01 am

» Моделi невеличких об'єктів/Modeling small objects
by lockie Yesterday at 5:50 pm

» JS-2 gunsight reticle
by geoweb35 Yesterday at 11:18 am

» Game Missions Pack #02 (GMP 2.37)
by lockie Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:11 pm

» Donations for the forum
by Jamrom2 Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:16 pm

» Танк Пантера Д/А/Г/ Panther ausf.D,A,G
by will73 Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:03 pm

» Tanks in the movies
by Jamrom2 Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:04 am

» Campaign "The Nazi power" (Pz.VI "Tiger")
by Lavrinenko Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:05 pm

» Computer Overhaul
by woofiedog Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:44 pm

June 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Low frame rate

Atlantis_Risen

Low frame rate

Post by Atlantis_Risen on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:09 am

Hi guys, I seem to be getting a low frame rate for my specs.  I get about 25 fps in external view and 35 fps in gun-site view.  I've been watching some youtube videos that are super smooth, about 60 fps, and I'm wondering if there's a way to optimize SF that I'm missing.  If I can run Skyrim at 50-60 fps on ultra, I should be able to run SF perfectly smooth.

My PC specs are:

-Intel Core i5-750 @ 4 ghz
    -ASUS P7P55D-E LX Motherboard
    -Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti
    -8 GB DDR3 1600 Memory

My JSGME install is:

And I'm also using Nvidia inspector with the below settings:

Thanks for any help.
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Re: Low frame rate

Post by frinik on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:39 am

Atlantis; you're not saying what kind of missions are playing when you get those low fps? I have a gaming laptop with similar to slightly higher spec than you and I only get such low specs when playing infantry intensive missions. The stock missions I can play at 60 fps. Even some intense user-Made missions at 40.

What video/quality settings are you using in game and what settings do you have in the Nvidia control panel? I could post mine once I go home and can check. I use a combo of quality and performance to get a good balance. of both.
    Atlantis_Risen

Post by Atlantis_Risen on Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:19 pm

The specific mission I'm talking about is everything but the bridge with the M4. I didn't think it was that infantry heavy. I have the graphics quality in-game at the max (which I really should be able to do). My Nvidia settings are in my above post. Thanks Frinik!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Atlantis_Risen wrote:The specific mission I'm talking about is everything but the bridge with the M4.
    This mission is a peace of cake. Try "Defend the Fatherland p.II", GMP1.x, No18 or "River of Doom", GMP3.x, No2.

BTW
    Which missions did u like more than other from GMP?
    I think we should organize some kind of pole: pick up three best missions from GMP.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:17 pm

Ok here are the settings I use through the Nvidia control panel. I don't use the inspector program as I don't need it to OC.

Ambient occlusion = not supported by application

Anisotropic filtering = Use globla setting(application controlled)

Antialising - FXAA = ON

Antialising - Mode = Use Global settings( Appl cont)

Antialising - Setting = Use Global settings( Appl cont)

Antialising - Transparency = Multisample

CUDA - GPUS = Use Global settings( All)

Maximum pre-rendered frames = Use Global settings( Use the 3D application0

power managment mode = Use Global settings( Adaptive)

Shader Cache = Use Global settings( ON)

Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimisation = Off

Texture filtering - Negative LOD Bias = Use Global settings( Allow)

Texture filtering - Quality = Quality

Texture filtering - Trilinear opimisation = ON

Threaded optimisation = Use Global settings( Auto)

Triple Buffering = Use Global settings( Off)

Vertical Sync = Use Global settings( Use the 3D application...

Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames = Use Global settings( 1)

In game Video Setting menu I set Anisotropic filtering slider all the way to 5 the max. The Quality Details slider is at Max. Res at 1920 X 1080. Brightness slider at 52, Contrast at 100 and Gamma at 107.

All the boxes to lower left are checked and on the lower right only the less plants in gun-sight box is checked all other s are unchecked.

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Has anybody tried this procedure to enable triple buffering in Steel Fury?

http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t185-tripple-buffering

In my case it increases the Frames Per Second in the situations of low FPS...

Try it !!

Txema
    Atlantis_Risen

Post by Atlantis_Risen on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:24 am

lockie wrote:
    Atlantis_Risen wrote:The specific mission I'm talking about is everything but the bridge with the M4.
    This mission is a peace of cake. Try "Defend the Fatherland p.II", GMP1.x, No18 or "River of Doom", GMP3.x, No2.

BTW
    Which missions did u like more than other from GMP?
    I think we should organize some kind of pole: pick up three best missions from GMP.

The bridge mission is pretty easy, but I do love it. Smile  I've played mostly the US missions lately, but also some panther and tiger missions and the Otto Carius Silversti mission.  And I really like "Capture The Tiger".

Txema wrote:Has anybody tried this procedure to enable triple buffering in Steel Fury?

http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t185-tripple-buffering

In my case it increases the Frames Per Second in the situations of low FPS...

Try it !!

Txema

I tried this but it didn't help.  Thanks though!
    Barcelona Blom

Post by Barcelona Blom on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:34 pm

I tried River Of Doom and got ~18fps
    My PC isn't the greatest spec but it'll never drop below 30fps with Arma 3 - which is quite resource heavy.

I checked the resource useage and it's using just a single CPU core at 100% during River Of Doom - I did try changing the core it used which might have helped a little...is there a way to force it to use more than one ?
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:51 am

You have the 4gb patch which is for systems that have less than have less than a 4 gbs of RAM. Otherwise you can use Obit's free program called Game Booster. It simply shuts down programs that consume memory and resources to help you muster your resources solely on playing.

What video settings are you using both pc-wise and in game?

Arma III has a recent game engine , much better optimized than SF's 8 years old one( although BI has never been very strong on producing easy-on-the-computer games).
    Barcelona Blom

Post by Barcelona Blom on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Thanks Frinik Wink

I'm using default game settings and video card settings which are default Nvidia Inspector - except for 4X antialiasing instead of 8x or 16X ( whichever one it is ) and the 000012C1 as well, obviously

I do have 4 gb of memory.

What I haven't bothered to try doing yet is to shut down non-essential services, I should now I know it's CPU limited.

I did wonder if there might be a way to make the program use more than one core - there was\is an old car racing sim called rFactor which could be forced to do that by a command line switch.

Overall I'm really happy with the game on most missions. It's 99% stable and it looks great.

Last edited by Barcelona Blom on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edittted fur speling)
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:38 pm

I remember Zeewolf mentioning a program allowing to use more than one core for T34 vs Tiger.

OK I googled and I found it. Basically Windows allows you - using the Task Manager to select processor affinity - to ensure that all cores of your cpu are used by a certain program. Here's the link explaining how to do it:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-set-processor-affinity-to-an-application-in-windows/
    Barcelona Blom

Post by Barcelona Blom on Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:02 pm

frinik wrote:I remember Zeewolf mentioning a program allowing to use more than one core for T34 vs Tiger.

OK I googled and I found it. Basically Windows allows you - using the Task Manager to select processor affinity - to ensure that all cores of your cpu are used by a certain program. Here's the link explaining how to do it:

I already tried that trick - unfortunately when I looked at the resource monitor afterwards only one core was being used - or one core is hitting 100% useage when the other three don't do much at all.

I guess " It is what it is "  Smile

It's not a huge problem and in no way a game breaker for me.

Thanks again Wink
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:10 am

One thing I have noticed having played the game with several different processors and gpus; the game is hungry fro processing power much more than RAM or graphic memory. Having a 2gbs versus a 512 mb gpu did not make that much difference all 6 gbs versus16 gbs of RAM, but using an intel i7with 6 cores instead of an i5 with 4 or an AMD cpu with 6 made a huge difference in fluidity and fps.

maus76

Graphic card performance

Post by maus76 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi,
    I have a question about a performance of graphic card in Steel Fury. If you have similar experience I will appreciate it a lot. I have upgraded my PC with new graphic card Gainward GTX750 2GB DDR5. I expected better performance in game, but nothing like this happened.

The result is that the new card works a bit worse than the previous card (GT740). The loading time of missions is almost 2 times longer and FPS in game falls from 25 to 23. In main menu, there is a troubleshooting messages " Video card memory size is less than 128 MB ...".  About this messages, some solutions are mentioned in FAQ section, my graphic settings in game is adjusted as recommended there (uncheck use desktop resolution, check no video mode restrictions). The message is not probably the problem it is quite usually for nvidia cards as is said in the forum.
    I use Nvidia Inspector with this settings: http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t115-antialiasing  

Otherwise the new card GTX750 provides better performance in benchmark test (passmark) and in other games than the previous card GT740. The problem is only in Steel Fury, unfortunately  Neutral . And one thing, the card only works in SF on cca 30% GPU usage, but it is similar as the previous card.

Please, have you got any recommendations about graphic settings in PC or config files in Steel Fury? Thank you very much  Wink .

PC spec:
    Dell Optiplex 755
    Core 2 duo E8500
    4GB DDR2 667 MHz
    Gainward GTX750 2GB DDR5
    Win 7 (32bit) Home
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:24 am

Your cpu is low end for this game. Your gpu is average so don't expect miracles. Also your RAM is low and it's DDR2 which is obsolete and needs to be upgraded to DDR3.And I am not saying this only for Steel Fury but if you wish to play modern games you'll need to upgrade your RAM to at least 6 to 8 GBs of ddr3.Otherwise it negates your purchase of a new and presumably better gpu. To sum up your specs at the low to middle end of the game requirements.

Meanwhile you can try using the 4 gb patch which is designed to help Win 32 systems with low RAM in RAM intensive situations. You can get it here:

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Also I encourage you to read the forum as many others with similar problems came to us and there are many threads discussing this with suggestion on how to improve framerates.

maus76

Post by maus76 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi,
    Thanks for your answer, Frinik. My PC is old and obsolete, of course. But the trouble is that after upgrade, the more powerful graphic card provides worse performance at the same conditions and graphic settings. It is strange in my opinion.
    I have read most topic in this forum about graphic settings of Steel Fury. Unfortunately, settings like 4GB patch, triple buffering with D3Doverrider gave no improvement. Otherwise, it doesn´t matter. Thanks for help  Very Happy .
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:36 pm

I remember reading many times that a golden rule of upgrading your video card is to make sure that your cpu doesn't need to be upgraded ta the same time. Because many game sand programs are cpu intensive rather than graphic intensive. Games like Steel Fury, Arma 2 & 3 for example. Thus if you cpu is not upgraded then the purchase of a new video card will not bring much improvement. Try this program it may help you. It's free and easy to install:

https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:26 am