Latest topics

» Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)
by lockie Today at 11:15 am

» Best laptop for playing
by Lightning62 Today at 10:36 am

» All of the command keys are set to ???
by lockie Today at 8:00 am

» Sta scranny 001:Error
by mechanic Yesterday at 9:51 pm

» Missing Keyboard Defaults
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:10 pm

» Any way to separate infantry from tanks?
by aleader Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:50 pm

» STA(Steel Tank Add-on) 3.2 (Steel Fury)
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 pm

» Missions by Deviator (Місії ад Девіатора)
by Deviator Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:13 pm

» New T-34/85 Sounds and Infantry Gun Sounds
by KurtTank Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:27 pm

December 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Mission: Capture "Tiger" (MK IV 'Churchill')

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Mission: Capture "Tiger" (MK IV 'Churchill')

Post by lockie on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:23 am

Thanks to Woofiedog, I got idea for the new mission. This is the story:
    The heroic WWII mission to capture a deadly Tiger Tank from the Germans, is revealed for the first time
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/the-heroic-wwii-mission-to-capture-a-deadly-820143

Here's draft scenario. There will be the battle and user's squad consist of 3x 'Shermans', will join to the fighting, but the main idea - find the damaged "Tiger".
    When user will find the tank, he will send a radio message to HQ, with a request to get crew for the "Tiger" transporting it in the safe place. There will be GMC truck with crew members, which will arrive to the area with captured "Tiger", then crew re-take tank and move it to the destination point. The next task of the user will be - provide cover from the other German tanks.
    Well, may be will73 prepare a new tank M4A1, then it'll take place in the mission instead M4A2, which is currently available.
    Mission included into GMP3.3
    Thanks to:
    - 33lima
    - Tanker
    - will73
    - woofiedog

EDITED 26.03.2017

Last edited by lockie on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:22 pm; edited 10 times in total
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Mission: Capture "Tiger" (MK IV 'Churchill')

Post by 33lima on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:32 pm

This might be a useful real-life setting for the mission:

http://tiger1.info/event-page/4-Tigers-Panzer-graveyard-Hunts-Gap
    woofiedog
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by woofiedog on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Very Happy

The new mission sounds very interesting, really like the planning & strategy of the mission. Wicked! Cool

33lima... excellent link, thank's for posting.

Another link concerning the capture of Panzerkampfwagen VI, Tiger I (E), SdKfz 181, 131. The top photo must have been taken close to the time of the actual battle. Notice the Churchill tank of to the side.

http://www.39-45war.com/tiger131.html

The most important strike, which is clearly visible today, saw a 6-pounder round scrape the underside of the Tiger's 88mm gun, before hitting the gun mantlet and lodging itself in the turret ring. This jammed the turret and effectively prevented the Tiger from fighting. It also split the weld on the top plate and, according to a contemporary report, shattered the radio. It was surmised that this shot could have "incapacitated the driver and front gunner'.

Evidence of a second 8pdr strike can also be seen on the right hand turret lifting stud, but a third 6 pdr hit the open loader's hatch, smashing it and deflecting the round to hit the hatch rim, again potentially injuring crew members inside. Whatever happened, the evidence shows that Tiger 131 was literally fought to a standstill by 48 RTR’s Churchill tanks.

A video clip has some decent interior shots of the 131 Tiger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdOaGhPfUh8

Another video clip of the Churchill tank that also has interior shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKX_MzRVi1A
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:23 am

33lima, woofiedog,
    thanks for the good info!
    My idea with truck wasn't good, coz truck almost immediately destroyed. So, there will be British crew, who is under fire and needs help badly to approach to the "Tiger" and their truck been already destroyed. Here's more complete draft version of scenario:

Initial situation:
    It is April 1943, Tunisia.
    48th Royal Tank Regiment(RTR) newly arrived in Tunisia from Britain went into action against the Germans for the first time. Alongside an infantry battalion, they attacked German positions in the hills at Medjez-al-Bab. These positions were heavily protected by Kampfgruppe Lang(10th Panzer Division) by Oberst. Rudolf Lang numbering with Pz. IV and newly arrived Pz.VI "Tiger"(Pz.Abt.501).
    First British tank crews encountered Tigers in January 1943. It was a dead weapon. From the very beginning of their arriving to Africa, "Tigers" were wiping out British soldiers with no mercy, decimating Allied morale. On one day they had destroyed 100 tanks. Dozens of men burned to death after their own vehicles were destroyed by the Tigers’ powerful and deadly accurate guns – a fate known, with typical Army black humour, as “brewing up”. British HQ decided capture at least one of the 60-tonne vehicles to learn how to destroy them in battle. It wasn't easy deal, because German crews had been thorough in carrying out their orders to completely destroy abandoned Tigers in order to prevent them falling into enemy hands. As a result little was known about this formidable new opponent, so the capture of a complete Tiger was a prize of enormous importance which would yield valuable information.
    A month ago Major Douglas Lidderdale was ordered to meet Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Winston Churchill to get instructions about his new secret job.
    “Major!” barked Winston Churchill to the brilliant young military engineer. “I want you to go and catch me a Tiger.
    “I want you to bring me a Tiger tank. Park the bloody thing outside my front door. Do you understand?”
    “Perfectly sir,” replied Major Douglas Lidderdale. His mission started.

Combat order:
    There are two tanks groups, which will attack the hills at Medjez-al-Bab. First group under command Lt. Peter Gudgin consist of the six tanks "Churchill". It will leading the attack, destroying enemy tanks and clear the area for the second group(consist of the three tanks) under command Major Douglas Lidderdale. The main objective is: capture hills at Medjez-al-Bab and repel any possible enemy counter-attack. Second objective is providing any "Tiger" capturing, which will be executed by group of Major Lidderdale. In case of one "Tiger" captured, then experienced crew will be sent to drive this tank to the safe place.

Your task:
    You are Major Douglas Lidderdale, Commander the second attacking group. There are 3x tanks "Churchill" under your command. You have to supply with fire the first group Lt. Gudgin, meanwhile looking for the any abandoned "Tiger" on the battlefield. Be prepared to provide protection to the truck with crew members, who will be sent to drive the captured "Tiger" by any chance.

As usually I need writing gift of Monseigneur Frinik  bom
    http://northirishhorse.net/Catch-TIger/Part-1.html

Last edited by lockie on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:59 am; edited 3 times in total
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:24 am

This looks good! I'm glad that you have changed to Churchills and that this is not going to be another 'U-577 movie' with the Brits replaced with Yanks!

I managed to get quite close to the real Tiger 131 a couple of years ago, but sadly, I could only capture her image:

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:49 pm

33lima wrote:that this is not going to be another 'U-577 movie' with the Brits replaced with Yanks!
    This mission will be a very heavily scripted, so I don't know how it'll effect the finish result. And I'm still hesitating with idea to bring by truck members crew to the "Tiger". It's a very interesting episode and was never made before. Here's testing how script works.
    "Tiger" already damaged and abandoned. The area cleared from the enemy. I've temporally placed truck with crew near "Tiger", to be sure that script works correctly.
    1. Here's is initial position, crew is waiting for the message that abandoned "Tiger" has found and they may go.

2. The crew received message, that "Tiger" had found and started to take places in the "Bedford".

3.Truck with crew went to the area where "Tiger" located.

4. Truck arrived and crew members took off.

5. Crew members went out from the truck, meanwhile truck moved to the base.

6. All crew members takes a seats inside "Tiger".

7. Captured "Tiger" moved to the base.

8. Captured "Tiger" arrived to the base.

Well, all above presented is just a candy for user to have a look how captured "Tiger" will be drove to the base, but it's a fun to see such epizod, coz this is a game and without such funny things the game will be kinda play the chess, which is boring and not interesting at all (at least for me).
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:14 pm

This will be a unique mission, like something from that classic, Operation Flashpoint!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:19 am

33lima wrote:This will be a unique mission
    I hope so! Surprised The main problem was to force tankmen to re-take the vehicle: from truck to the tank.

There are some screenies from the Mission Editor.
    1. Here's a map. There will be attack from both sides. The distance will be no more then ~1km.

2. "Churchills" from 48th RTR

3. "Tiger" #131 from Pz.Abt.501

4. PzIV F2 from 10th Pz.Div. They have original insignia.

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:45 pm

33lima wrote:This will be a unique mission, like something from that classic, Operation Flashpoint!

Yes, like the mission "steal the car" from Operation Flashpoint !!

Interesting idea !!

Txema
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Unfortunately, it's impossible for user to change place from one tank to another, but AI can do that.
    Some new screens. So, now "Tiger" could be spotted by too groups independently and truck with crew will be sent after that. User will get a flag on his map, where abandoned "Tiger" located. Then he must move to the "Tiger" to be sure its under running conditions.
    At this moment the balance is "2".
    GBR side:
    - 9x 'Churchill'
    - 1x truck 'Bedford' with tankmen

GER side
    - 2x AT gun 50mm
    - 3x Pz.IV F2
    - 1x Pz.VI 'Tiger' (abandoned)

Here's message from squad "Whale" under command Lt. Gudgin, discovered abandoned "Tiger" and asked for inspection by group "Orca" and truck with crew.

This is confirmation report from the group "Orca" (Major Lidderdale)

Abandoned "Tiger"

Task: capture the "Hill"

"Hill" captured

Tanks of the enemy at the "Hill" bottom

Still guessing what is the distance to Pz.IV?

MkIV "Churchill"

Last edited by lockie on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:06 pm

This is looking wonderful!

Love the Churchills in desert camouflage.

I would like to make some suggestions about the radio messages, if you are interested. For example, the first one would be more realistic like this.

'Hello all stations [or 'Hello Orca and Squid') this is Whale, Tiger located at grid 123 456. Move there now. On arrival, Orca will report whether Tiger is a runner. Off'

I'm assuming above that 'Squid' is the recovery crew.

In real life they would not have used terms like 'Tiger' on an open radio net (a code name would have been used, or maybe just a more general word like 'target') but we don't want to confuse the player. They would not have referred to sending a truck, but used the crew's callsign. If Whale = Gudgin's troop of Churchills, Orca = Lidderdale's Churchill troop (the player) and Squid = the recovery crew in the Bedford 3 tonner, then that's not too hard for the player to remember.

'Grid' (short for 'grid reference') is better than 'co-ordinates'. 'Report' is better than 'confirm' because it means that Orca must not only confirm for itself that the Tiger is mobile, but also report that fact on the radio - this better prepares the player for the message when it appears.

New messages need to start with who they are for, as well as who they are from, and to end with 'over' or 'out'. The British Army in WW2 used 'off' instead of 'out' so I used 'off' above.

No need for quotation marks '' '' around the callsigns.

PS .wav file recordings of the radio traffic, as well as text versions, would be good.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:51 am

I would like to make some suggestions about the radio messages, if you are interested. For example, the first one would be more realistic like this.
    'Hello all stations [or 'Hello Orca and Squid') this is Whale, Tiger located at grid 123 456. Move there now. On arrival, Orca will report whether Tiger is a runner. Off'
    Yes, of course I'm interested. This phrase sounds better. I'll use it as a sample.

I'm assuming above that 'Squid' is the recovery crew.
    Oh, I've forgotten to add a new text. 'Squid' is a BASE.

Combat order:
    There are two tanks groups, which will attack the hills at Medjez-al-Bab. First group, its callname is "Whale", under command Lt. Peter Gudgin consist of the nine  tanks "Churchill". It will leading the attack, destroying enemy tanks and clear the area for the second group, which callname is "Orca", consist of the three tanks
    under command Major Douglas Lidderdale. The callname of the BASE is "Squid". The main objectives are:
    1. Capture hills at Medjez-al-Bab and repel any possible enemy counter-attack.
    2. Provide any "Tiger" capturing. The inspection: running Tiger in the the work conditions or not, will be executed by Major Lidderdale. In case of one "Tiger" captured, then
    report it and experienced crew will be sent to drive this tank to the safe place.

Your task:
    You are Major Douglas Lidderdale, Commander of the second attacking group. The callname of your group is "Orca". There are three tanks "Churchill" under your command. You have to:
    - supply with fire the first Lt. Gudgin's group
    - meanwhile looking for the any abandoned "Tiger" on the battlefield.
    We need your inspection to be sure that tank has ability to be transported. Move to the "Tiger" closely and give us inspection report. Be prepared to provide protection to the truck with crew members, who will be sent
    to drive the captured "Tiger" by any chance. Dismiss.

In real life they would not have used terms like 'Tiger' on an open radio net (a code name would have been used, or maybe just a more general word like 'target') but we don't want to confuse the player. They would not have referred to sending a truck, but used the crew's callsign. If Whale = Gudgin's troop of Churchills, Orca = Lidderdale's Churchill troop (the player) and Squid = the recovery crew in the Bedford 3 tonner, then that's not too hard for the player to remember.
    Then we've to add additional callname to truck with crew, coz Squid has assigned to the BASE already and it'll confuse not only the future player, but me also Smile I think three callsigns would be enough, though we may call BASE as "Bravo I". And there is another reason don't assign code name to the truck, coz it doesn't has radio equipment. Anyway, it becomes clear during mission testing.

'Grid' (short for 'grid reference') is better than 'co-ordinates'. 'Report' is better than 'confirm' because it means that Orca must not only confirm for itself that the Tiger is mobile, but also report that fact on the radio - this better prepares the player for the message when it appears.
    Accepted, will be fixed.

New messages need to start with who they are for, as well as who they are from, and to end with 'over' or 'out'. The British Army in WW2 used 'off' instead of 'out' so I used 'off' above.
    I'll prepare all phrases, then present them for testing with a mission accordingly.

No need for quotation marks '' '' around the callsigns.
    That's only for text.

PS .wav file recordings of the radio traffic, as well as text versions, would be good.
    It's possible. Would u like to take a part?

BTW
    Did u try "Dust in the wind2"? This mission has voiced messages.

PS
    There should be a hint for the user: don't shoot "Tiger" #131 or mission will be failed. On the other hand with such warning, the mission will become more predictable. If this warning is absent, then in case, if player hit Tiger #131, then he'll get radio message.
    Oh, shit! Major, we've lost all Tigers. They completely destroyed. Mission failed, return to the Base. You should not have been shoot Tiger #131.

Or may be warning message should be like this:
    If you see unmovable Tiger, then don't shoot him, coz possibly he already damaged.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:09 pm

Yes I would be happy to help with recording radio messages! It has been many months since I played 'Dust in the Wind'.

'Squid' is fine as a callsign for 'base' but call them 'HQ' not 'base' - in British Army parlance, every unit's command group, from a platoon and upwards, is called HQ - 'platoon HQ', 'Company HQ', battalion HQ and so on. 'Base' sounds like we mean a fixed camp somewhere well to the rear, when here, we mean a command element, commanding or monitoring the operations of front-line troops.

Anyway it makes sense now - Whale spots the Tiger, tells Orca and Squid where it is - and for Orca to go and check it's a runner. Squid then tells Orca that the truck is on the way - I guess the truck has been waiting at Squid's location. I would refer to the truck as 'recovery crew' - a compromise between maintaining some level of radio security and (not) confusing the player.

I don't think any tanksim has ever had a mission quite like this one! Well done!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:30 am

33lima wrote:Yes I would be happy to help with recording radio messages! It has been many months since I played 'Dust in the Wind'.
    OK, I'll send the text to u!

'Squid' is fine as a callsign for 'base' but call them 'HQ' not 'base'
    All these squids, whale, dolphin sounds quite similar for me, each time when I read it I need my vocabulary Smile
    So, let HQ will get callsign "Bravo I"

Anyway it makes sense now - Whale spots the Tiger, tells Orca and Squid where it is - and for Orca to go and check it's a runner. Squid then tells Orca that the truck is on the way - I guess the truck has been waiting at Squid's location.
    Yeah, it sounds good theoretically until u start the mission, then be prepared to surprise. First: Tiger #131 disappeared. I always saw him on my map, but not anymore now. I did smth. and his icon went out from my screen. There are many other "pleasant" things. I placed many contours to make AI movement as more unpredictable as possible and I think I overdid a bit, coz now I don't have any idea where enemy tanks will appear.

I don't think any tanksim has ever had a mission quite like this one! Well done!
    Let's see. Mission script is abt to be finished. I have to adjust the time, when German counter-attack will start. All other parts of the scripts works so far so good.
    It was a childish toys to fight against 3xPz.IV. But this time I had first appointment with Tigers and... mission over.
    This German "tiny Kittie" killed almost all British fatboys. Our platoon destroyed 2 Tigers, but the third one was too tough to my "Churchill". I'll give it try once again.

There will be available the next balances: 3,4,5,6
    3. 3x Pz.IVF2+2x ATG pak38 vs 9x Churchill
    4. 2x Pz.IVF2+1x Pz.VI'Tiger'+2x ATG pak38 vs 9x Churchill
    5. 1x Pz.IVF2+2x Pz.VI'Tiger'+2x ATG pak40 vs 9x Churchill
    6. 3x Pz.VI'Tiger'+2x ATG pak40 vs 9x Churchill

At the balance "3" nobody can beat me! At first glance all balances are not so hard for the player, but I play without markers and don't see any highlighted targets except commander's hints. And of course, it's easy to make mission more hard, just add some new panzers or decrease Churchill's number.

PS
    I'm really surprised and didn't expect so many various features, which gives SF game engine! I'd not believe, if somebody would told me, that such things(re-take tanks) would be possible!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:20 pm

Here's test version.
    Installation:
    1. Steel Sound Mod 1.0 (SSM)
    2. STA 1.0
    3. GMP1.x (optional)
    4. GMP2.x (optional)
    5. GMP3.2
    6. JanUpd_2015
    7. FebUpd_2015 www.4shared.com/rar/QR7418Z8ce/05_FebUpd_2015.html
    8. Africa weather (recommended)
    9. 03_capture_tiger www.4shared.com/rar/dxj0AcLvce/03_capture_tiger_v01.html

I recommend to start from the balance "4". Experience: allies "4", enemy "2".

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:00 am

Hi Lockie !

First of all, thank you very much for this new mission Very Happy

Just one thing: I have noticed that when I try to download:

7. FebUpd_2015 www.4shared.com/rar/QR7418Z8ce/05_FebUpd_2015.html

I get the folder "03_capture_tiger_v01" inside of the downloaded file "05_FebUpd_2015.rar"

Could you please check it?

Txema
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:39 am

Hi, Txema
    That's a "jokes" from 4share, which happened not a first time. Content fixed. D/l FebUpd_2015 once again.

Txema
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Txema on Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Thank you very much, Lockie !

It works properly now !

Txema
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Txema wrote:It works properly now !
    Glad u managed to start the mission  bom  It's still under testing and I've found some errors in the script.
    But there is one problem:
    1. Does "Tiger" too tough for "Churchill" QF6 gun?
    2. Does QF6 gun too weak for "Tiger"?
    There are 44 hits and no any damages.

It's interesting, but neither "AP T" nor "MK9T" shells doesn't has any grams of explosives.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:40 pm

I need to some debugging. I get a 'white screen of death/initialisation error' when the mission tries to load, after the 'splash screen' with the pic of Tiger 131 and the map. I had everything enabled in the order recommended, including the STA Afrika 'weather''. I disabled the Tiger mission then played 'Sidi Rezegh' and that mission was fine.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:14 am

33lima wrote:I get a 'white screen of death/initialisation error' when the mission tries to load.
    What the "%" was when u got error?
    See here for hints:
    http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t34-errors-during-mission-d-l

Enclose screen with installation also, like this. I need to have a look.

PS
    Finally, I've found the weak place of the "Tiger": over wheels and under wing

Last edited by lockie on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:57 pm

Found and fixed error in the mission compilation. Also I had to add a small quantity explosives (34 gram same as USA 57mm AT gun) to the QF6 gun OR mission will be impossible, coz Churchil's gun was completely usefulness against "Tiger". There was only one chance to hit "Tiger", if crew bail out from tank independently, according to the low morals or scared or whatever. Yes, such crew behavior corresponds to the history, but mission becomes completely unplayable, if shell power will be the same.
    Well, there is still the chase to play mission with lower tankmen morals, but it'll be pure lucky.

Links updated.
    Links for FebUpd_2015 and mission "Capture Tiger" updated. Re-d/l it.
    Installation:
    1. Steel Sound Mod 1.0 (SSM)
    2. STA 1.0
    3. GMP1.x (optional)
    4. GMP2.x (optional)
    5. GMP3.2
    6. JanUpd_2015 www.4shared.com/get/0rgyOJoQba/JanUpd_2015.html
    7. FebUpd_2015 www.4shared.com/rar/QR7418Z8ce/07_FebUpd_2015.html
    8. Africa weather (recommended)
    9. 05_capture_tiger www.4shared.com/rar/dxj0AcLvce/05_capture_tiger_v05.html

PS
    This time, before I found "Tiger", I had lost 8 Churchills.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:53 pm

Still no good. I get:

'Exception core:
    001: Error initialization program. '

...on a white screen which appears after the mission load screen status bar shows about 81%. This is on a fresh install of SF, mods applied exactly as above, latest versions.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:06 pm

33lima wrote:
    ...on a white screen which appears after the mission load screen status bar shows about 81%.
    It's better now Smile
    But I steel need printscreen of er installation. 81% error does that missions files didn't install in the right place.

Last edited by lockie on Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

dukling

Post by dukling on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:18 pm

I went on a mission to balance 9.

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:13 pm