Latest topics

» STA(Steel Tank Add-on) 3.2 (Steel Fury)
by Zedd_Zol Today at 3:10 pm

» Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)
by lockie Today at 2:50 pm

» Легкий танк Pz-38(t)
by will73 Today at 1:37 pm

» Best laptop for playing
by Lightning62 Today at 7:37 am

» Woofie the Dog's Skin Shop
by woofiedog Today at 5:49 am

» Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
by lockie Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:59 pm

» All of the command keys are set to ???
by lockie Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:00 am

» Sta scranny 001:Error
by mechanic Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 pm

» Missing Keyboard Defaults
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:10 pm

December 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Mission: Sheer "dirty" attack (APC M8)

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Mission: Sheer "dirty" attack (APC M8)

Post by lockie on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:50 pm

Will73 is abt to finish APC M8, thus it's time for the new mission.

This is a draft scenario. I'm waiting for the gift of Mr. Frinik to polish it and give real life for the text.
    August 1944, France, village "Locked-Frink" near Alencon.
    Allies forces of the USA broke through the Germany defence line and moved to the deep of the France territory. Now 90th Infantry Division move on the road to Alencon, France. Commander is Brigadier General Mac Lain. But German dropped off a platoon of paratrooper from 9th Fallschirmjäger Division to cut off American supply through the village "Locked-Frink" and prepared a bridgehead for the future counter-attack.
    General Mac Lain ordered to the vehicle scout squad of the 3x APC M8 under command Lieutenant Harry "Dirty" Callahan, immediately attack village, capture(retake) it at hold on to the forward parts of the 2nd Armored Division approaching.

Forces:
    USA
    - 3x APC M8 (new)
    reinforcement
    - 3x M4A1 + infantry platoon (new)

Germany
    - platoon Gebirgsjager
    - 3x MG-34
    - 2x mortar
    reinforcement
    - 2x APC Puma
    - platoon Gebirgsjager

Here's a new briefing based on the text by Monseigneur Frinik.
    Initial situation:
    August 1944, France, the little village "Saint-Loc-sur-Fri" near Alencon. After weeks of bitter fighting, the American forces have finally broken through the German defence line and moved deep into French territory. The 90th Infantry Division is moving on the road leading to Alencon, France. Its Commander is Brigadier General S. MacLain. But the Germans have not yet given up and have sent a platoon of "Green Devils" from 9th Fallschirmjager Division with the aim of cutting off American supply lines by taking the sleepy village of "Saint-Loc-sur-Fri". Once taken the village will be turned into a bridgehead, which the Germans will use for future counterattacks against the Allies. General MacLain has given the order that a vehicle scout squad consisting of 3 M8 APCs under the command of Lieutenant Harry "Dirty" Callahan, immediately attack
    the village, capture it and hold on to it until the spearheads of the 2nd Armored Division arrive and take over.

Combat order:
    General MacLain said: Listen, Harry! We've got a very dangerous situation. A group of German saboteurs captured our scout convoy in the village "Saint-Loc-sur-Fri" and temporally cut off our supplies and our lines of communications with some advanced units of the 90th Infantry Division. We need immediately wrestle the village from the Krauts and prevent them from concentrating their troops there. Unfortunately, the damned 2nd Armored Division is late once more and all I got are three lousy M8s from the Scouts squad. Only a brave nuts like you can pull it off, Harry! I'll give you a Second Lieutenant Chico Gonzalez as assistant in command.
    Lieutenant Callahan: Geez Sir, you're laying it on me! But why Gonzalez? You gotta be kidding. I don't got any time to break in any newcomers. Why don't you do this boy a favor ... if I need a partner, I'll get me someone who knows what the hell he's doin'!
    General MacLain: Harry, you may really live up to your dirty bastard reputation, but last I heard I am still you commanding officer Godammit! Dismiss!

Your Task:
    You are Lieutenant "Dirty" Harry. There are three APC M8 and infantry platoon under your command. You have to:
    1. Surreptitiously approach to the village of "Saint-Loc-sur-Fri", then make attack and take it back from the Germans.
    2. Hold the village until reinforcement arrive.

Last edited by lockie on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Mission: Sheer "dirty" attack (APC M8)

Post by lockie on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:53 pm

Mission is ready for testing. Special thanks to Monseigneur Frinik de la Dumas!
    Thanks to:
    - 33lima
    - Tanker
    - will73
    - YL

Installation:
    1. Steel Sound Mod 1.0 (SSM)
    2. STA 1.0
    3. GMP1.x (optional)
    4. GMP2.x (must)
    5. GMP3.x (optional)
    6. JanUpd_2015
    7. Weather Mod "Scorching summer" (recommended)
    8. 01_FebUpd_2015 www.4shared.com/rar/QR7418Z8ce/01_FebUpd_2015.html
    9. 01_sheer_attk www.4shared.com/rar/H2zkNtyPba/01_sheer_attk.html
    I recommend to start from the balance "3".

There are some screenies:

Mission start

APC M3 of Chico Gonzales

Puma vs M8, near it is chasseur who is hunting from ambush.

Unexpectedly, I saw Puma.

This radioman has a bad news.

Reinforcements came.

MG nest terminated.

I managed to complete mission before I got panzershreck in my vehicle.

View after battle

Watch out Gebirgsjager!

Last edited by lockie on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:54 am; edited 5 times in total

Lord Haw-Haw
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Lord Haw-Haw on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:00 pm

Is there an easy way too have the default menus -only SF originals, not "STA v1.0 Full" and so forth? I noticed there are "go" files now for some menus.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:19 pm

Ok, grabbing it now, tho it will be tomorrow (Saturday) before I get to risk my virtual neck in a tin can with a pop gun Smile
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:44 pm

Lord Haw-Haw wrote:Is there an easy way too have the default menus -only SF originals, not "STA v1.0 Full" and so forth?
    Yeap, u may uninstall STA and use any other, i.e. SPM2.0.
    STA is absolutely free to use mod. It was made by enthusiasts in their free time. So, menu of STA and other additional information has some purposes, like:
    - it was made exactly by STA team
    - it is indicator that mod has been installed correctly
    - any other

33lima wrote:Ok, grabbing it now, tho it will be tomorrow (Saturday) before I get to risk my virtual neck in a tin can with a pop gun Smile
    Good luck! Balance "3" would be quite enough to start. Setup allies exp. "4", enemy "2".
    There is strange issue, still can't resolve: all units under user command moves only in column formation and only together with him. It's interesting, coz usually they don't obey to user's commands.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:11 am

OK first impressions from a quick first play through. I decided to let Gonzales commit suicide on his own and went wide to the right, but moved much too fast (I was having too much fun driving fast cross-country in the Greyhound) so I ran into a nasty surprise. Anyway, some initial comments.

1. The briefing describes the US unit as a 'Scouts squad'. First, three M8s are a platoon, not a squad. And I believe their parent unit - in an Armored Division, anyway, both they and US Army Infantry Divisions of 1944 had some M8s, usually with some jeeps - was called a Reconnaisance Squadron not a Scout Squadron. The correct term should be used for the three M8s assigned to the player - which I believe would be 'reconnaisance platoon'. It's definitely a platoon, not a squad.

2. When the mission loaded, I was shocked to see a large group of dismounted US infantry, in roughly platoon strength, right behind our three M8s. They followed me when I moved and were obviously under my command. They were not mentioned in the briefing. They need to be mentioned, as well as the fact that they are under my command. PS just noticed they are mentioned, right at the end. They should also be mentioned earlier, so idiots like me don't miss this Smile. Seriously, you need to tell the player he's got infantry, the first time you tell him what troops he's got, not just right at the end. It doesn't help that the briefing tells the player what his task is, three times, once in each section, which is un-necessary and potentially confusing, if there are differences, which there are (eg the first two times, it mentions the three M8s, but not the infantry).

3. The Germans are described as 'saboteurs' at one point in the briefing. This is not how a US Army officer would refer to regular enemy soldiers, especially if he knew they were paras. 'Saboteurs' are people who sneak around and damage stuff and are liable to avoid combat, not professional, front-line fighting soldiers, who are likely to fight it out. Especially if they are elite troops like paras.

4. In the briefing, 'Scout convoy' is not an appropriate term. Supply units operate in convoys; fighting units, rarely. What sort of US unit has been over-run in the village? A recce squad, perhaps? I saw at least one M3 half-track. 'Recce squad' would be a better description.

5. The M8 crews look weird in blue! And the guy on the 50 cal is standing up the whole time, can I get him to keep his head down? And how do I tell everybody to get out of those blue outfits and change into Olive Drab overalls? Smile

6. Is it possible to hide the markings which show enemy defensive positions, on the briefing map, until they are spotted? I know that pre-attack reconnaisance and patrols were carried out to locate this sort of thing in advance - 'time spent on reconnaisance is never wasted' as the saying goes - but in this mission especially, where the attack is very hasty, it might be better if enemy trenches were not marked up until the mission loaded and somebody got 'eyes on' (spotted them).

The Greyhounds/M8s look fantastic, and the map is a joy to behold, too! The terrain doesn't just look good, it's got lots of contours and opportunities to make good use of covered approaches. Brilliant work.

PS I forgot to set the balance at 3, it's probably at 5 or so.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:29 am

33lima wrote:I decided to let Gonzales commit suicide on his own
    One time I got situation, when Gonzales broke into village from the East entry and killed almost all Fallschirmjager there. Then his M3 helped me to repel enemy attack.

1. The briefing describes the US unit as a 'Scouts squad'. First, three M8s are a platoon, not a squad. The correct term should be used for the three M8s assigned to the player - which I believe would be 'reconnaisance platoon'.
    Accepted. What abt this phrase:
    General MacLain has given the order that a vehicle Recce branch consisting of 3 M8 APCs and infantry platoon...

2. When the mission loaded, I was shocked to see a large group of dismounted US infantry. They followed me when I moved and were obviously under my command. They were not mentioned in the briefing.
    They was twice mentioned in breifing Smile
    1. General MacLain has given the order that a vehicle scout squad consisting of 3 M8 APCs and infantry platoon
    2. You are Lieutenant "Dirty" Harry. There are three APC M8, infantry platoon and one M3 (with Chico Gonzales) under your command.

you need to tell the player he's got infantry, the first time you tell him what troops he's got, not just right at the end.
    I mentioned it in the Initial situation and Your Task. I think it's enough.

3. The Germans are described as 'saboteurs' at one point in the briefing. This is not how a US Army officer would refer to regular enemy soldiers
    Accepted, what abt paratroopers?

4. In the briefing, 'Scout convoy' is not an appropriate term.
    OK "Recce squad" accepted. There were 1x truck GMC+infantry squad and one Jeep equipped with MG. APC M3, which u saw in the village, it was Gonzales vehicle.

5. The M8 crews look weird in blue!
    This color helped me to adjust members crew during landing off/on. Well, hope soon I redone their uniform.

And the guy on the 50 cal is standing up the whole time, can I get him to keep his head down?
    Nope. It was made exactly as MGunner in the Sdkfz 251/1, 251/9, 251/10, M3. Will73 made another variant without turret MG. Suppose, it'll be in use soon.

And how do I tell everybody to get out of those blue outfits and change into Olive Drab overalls? Smile
    I may re-paint them. Just give me "Olive Drab" example  bom

6. Is it possible to hide the markings which show enemy defensive positions, on the briefing map, until they are spotted?
    Of course, it's possible. I did it deliberately to help user, where the enemy are. Will be removed.

The Greyhounds/M8s look fantastic, and the map is a joy to behold, too! The terrain doesn't just look good, it's got lots of contours and opportunities to make good use of covered approaches. Brilliant work.
    Thanks Smile The main work to adjust M8 was made by will73.

I forgot to set the balance at 3, it's probably at 5 or so.
    5 balance is only  for the hard-ass players Very Happy The maximum is 6.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Another suggestion, before I try another play through.

The M8s are great, including the variety - some with mudguards, some with them removed.

However, the ones in the mission all have over-sized British Army serial numbers (beginning with 'T'). AFAIK the British made little or no use of the Greyhound. For a US Army mission, one without the 'T' serial numbers would be good - Will73's thread on the M8 showed some with US Army white stars (carried also sometimes, by British vehicles for air recognition purposes). It would be much better to use a 'skin' with the white star.

'Recce branch' isn't a term that would be used - if you don't want to use 'platoon' (an M8 platoon would also usually have Jeeps, according to my wargame Army Lists) them I would suggest 'recce unit'.

I'm sorry I missed the reference to infantry - twice! I was too tired but could not resist playing the mission once before I 'hit the sack'.

When I ordered 'column' formation, the infanty obeyed nicely. But the bazooka men formed up at the head/front of the column. Is it possible to arrange things so that some tommy-gunners or riflemen lead, when the infantry are in column? Not good, to have their anti-tank weaponry all up front, where they might get wiped out.

Yes I know I should change out of column formation as soon as or even before hitting contact but for an approach march it is a good formation to use.

As for 'Olive Drab', the colour of the Greyhounds themselves is as good as any, or just Google 'US Army WW2 tank crew'/images and take your pick:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/images/product/080/35004/header_35004.jpg

http://www.fold3.com/image/16146149/

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/27f6664fb8ef48299f06ee96e2d6771613497b2a/c=170-0-2830-2000&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/USATODAY/None/2014/10/16/635490943190191411-AP-GAMES-WORLD-OF-TANKS-67844642-1-.JPG
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:59 pm

33lima wrote:For a US Army mission, one without the 'T' serial numbers would be good - Will73's thread on the M8 showed some with US Army white stars.
    Accepted.

'Recce branch' isn't a term that would be used - if you don't want to use 'platoon' (an M8 platoon would also usually have Jeeps, according to my wargame Army Lists) them I would suggest 'recce unit'.
    I don't want to use "platoon", coz it'll be used twice:
    ...that a vehicle Recce platoon consisting of 3 M8 APCs and infantry platoon under the command of Lieutenant...
    OK, changes applied:
    that a vehicle Recce unit consisting of 3 M8 APCs and infantry platoon under the command of Lieutenant...

I'm sorry I missed the reference to infantry - twice! I was too tired but could not resist playing the mission once before I 'hit the sack'.
    Well, I think actually it doesn't matter what the units under user's control, coz after several tries u'll exactly know the line up under er command Smile

When I ordered 'column' formation, the infanty obeyed nicely. But the bazooka men formed up at the head/front of the column. Is it possible to arrange things so that some tommy-gunners or riflemen lead, when the infantry are in column?
    Yes, it's possible, but I can't promise exactly, coz game engine is a very unpredictable(or perhaps I'm out of skill). I'll try to change the line to have auotgunners on the spear.
    Issue with "rpgmen on the spearhead" has been resolved. Now "rpgmen" are near the end of column. Though, I don't know how it'll effect the gameplay.

As for 'Olive Drab', the colour of the Greyhounds themselves is as good as any, or just Google 'US Army WW2 tank crew'/images and take your pick:
    OK, I see. This task will be for the next update, meanwhile I replaced "blue men" on ordinary 4xInfantryman+1xTankman.
    Thanks for the detailed consulting!

PS
    Issue with units under user's command has been resolved. The problem was in the "rank ratio" of the Commander. Now it has "1.25", before was "0.15" or "1.0".

PPS
    This picture should definitely go to the topic "Available units". I've to confess I've used some pictures from this topic to decorate STA menu. They are beautiful.

Last edited by lockie on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:56 pm

Links updated:
    I'd like to pay attention - the mission is still under testing procedure.

Installation:
    1. Steel Sound Mod 1.0 (SSM)
    2. STA 1.0
    3. GMP1.x (optional)
    4. GMP2.x (must)
    5. GMP3.x (optional)
    6. JanUpd_2015
    7. Weather Mod "Scorching summer" (recommended)
    8. 02_FebUpd_2015 www.4shared.com/rar/QR7418Z8ce/02_FebUpd_2015.html
    9. 02_sheer_attk www.4shared.com/rar/H2zkNtyPba/02_sheer_attk.html

Last edited by lockie on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:31 am

Just tried again with the latest version, and the M8s look much better. Fifty Cal Guy looks much better in Olive Drab (though his buddies haven't been issued theirs yet) and the Greyhounds look better with US markings. Hope the rest of the M8 crew will get their "ODs" soon!

The infantry now have some riflemen up front, instead of their bazooka men...

I need to practice a bit more, to see if I can get the infantry to do any better than follow me. After we hit contact, shook out into line formation and began to attack uphill towards the village, I would have liked to send them up ahead, but they had other ideas...

I felt pretty bad, driving over some poor farmer's pumpkin field...

But even worse, when Fifty Cal Guy got shot...I did tell him to keep his head down, but no use. And worse again, when a Panzerfaust ended my ride.

I need to play it a few more times. So far i'm really liking this mission. I really like it that the player has time to plan his approach to the village and can move in cautiously, stopping in cover to scan ahead for danger, instead of having to rush because of a silly time limit or because he is suddenly faced with waves of attacking enemy armour. A mission for a tanksimmer who likes to play tactically! Bravo!

The M8 looks and plays brilliantly, one of the best AFVs in the sim! And the landscape- it's just amazing, easily the best and most authentic-looking 'polygon' so far seen in Steel Fury. Brilliant mission, brilliant vehicles, brilliant 'map'/polygon - it doesn't get any better!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:52 am

I would have liked to send them up ahead, but they had other ideas...
    If u want to send troops forward then u need to select formation:
    1. "no formation"
    2. "line"
    Then place on the map direction arrow.
    U've to be a very thrifty with er infantry. In the ideal case u've to capture first two trenches without losses, coz u need infantry to attack village with Gebirgsjager (couple of them has panzershrek). At the balance "5", I've lost almost all my infantry when finally captured it.

A mission for a tanksimmer who likes to play tactically! Bravo!
    Thanks Smile This mission has at least one surprise. There are two ways to capture village:
    1. move through trenches
    2. move from the East entry. In this case be prepared to surprise, coz enemy infantry won't take a seat in the trenches, when they will get signal abt. er squad appearing in the village Wink
    But the most interesting activity will take place when 3x "Puma" with infantry attack the village. I recommend u after village capturing, give to er wingmen command "defence". I've already prepared some ambush places on the polygon, so AI has a choice to occupy some positions. Then hold on to er positions and wait for reinforcements. "Puma" equipped with 50mm KWK39 gun and it is a very dangerous Cat against light armor.

PS
    Which uniform looks like 'Olive Drab'?
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:14 pm

The one on the left is better for Olive Drab, definitely. Colour is better, and an overall/coverall is good for AFV crews. I think this is a genuine WW1 colour pic:

As for head gear, turret crews of open-topped vehicles like M8s and Tank Destroyers (an M10 would be a good western front vehicle, in service much longer than the M36 and used by the British too) seem most often to have worn steel helmets in action instead of tanker's padded helmets, for obvious reasons. So a helmet like Fifty Cal Guy would probably be best, for the other turret crew members of the Greyhound.

I bumped into one of those Pumas, the first time I tried the mission. I saw there no enemy positions marked on the far (north) side of the village and decided go go wide, out to the right (east), following the lower contours to stay out of sight - 'drive as the water flows'. Not long after passing the un-manned road block with the knife rest obstacles, crossing an area of low, open ground, I got blasted by a Puma who was sitting on a forward slope, facing me, just the other side of a road. I was not sure if he was put there to catch me if I came that way, or if he was part of the counterattack force, positioned there ready to move in.

If the Puma was placed there ready for the counterattack, i would suggest moving him out of sight, into dead ground somewhere, so that a player who decided to go wide does not bump into the counterattack force by accident.

If he was put there to shoot anyone trying to get into the village from behind, that's different, but maybe still better to place him out of sight - we don't want this mission to be like a level in Call of Duty, where you learn where such units are the first or second time around and then avoid them in the replay.

Plus sitting out in the open was a bad move for the Puma too, as the other M8s got him.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:48 am

33lima wrote:The one on the left is better for Olive Drab
    Then let's leave it for the next revision.

As for head gear, turret crews of open-topped vehicles like M8s and Tank Destroyers seem most often to have worn steel helmets in action instead of tanker's padded helmets, for obvious reasons.
    OK, it's easy to change.

an M10 would be a good western front vehicle, in service much longer than the M36 and used by the British too
    M10 was planed to release ~2 years ago, but it had a very weak engine, thus no fun in mission activity. That's why M36 was produced. Well, it's possible I think to re-orginize M-10, but first I need scenario for the mission with this vehicle participating.

I bumped into one of those Pumas, the first time I tried the mission. I saw there no enemy positions marked on the far (north) side of the village and decided go go wide
    Of course, there is no marks. U've the recce mission with an appropriate task - capture village. Then u've to be prepared to meet the enemy.

I got blasted by a Puma who was sitting on a forward slope, facing me, just the other side of a road.
    U wasn't prepared to see enemy, mission failed.

I was not sure if he was put there to catch me if I came that way, or if he was part of the counterattack force, positioned there ready to move in.
    APC "Puma" is a part of the mission. I warned: Watch out this Cat.

If the Puma was placed there ready for the counterattack, i would suggest moving him out of sight, into dead ground somewhere, so that a player who decided to go wide does not bump into the counterattack force by accident.
    The player who decided to make wide maneuver, must got to be involved into troubles. It's a part of mission.

If he was put there to shoot anyone trying to get into the village from behind, that's different, but maybe still better to place him out of sight - we don't want this mission to be like a level in Call of Duty, where you learn where such units are the first or second time around and then avoid them in the replay.
    Bump into the enemy positions, it's another variant of the mission. And don't forget polygon has a size 2x2km. So, I've limits with troops positioning.

PS
    There is possibility for another scenario. This time 3xPuma+platoon Gebirgsjager attack the other village to capture it and take out american paratroopers.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:56 pm

It appeared during testing, that "Puma" had many issues. The decision was made to re-design 3d model.
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:45 am

Not to criticize but Sheer Dirty Attack in English does not mean anything....
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

test_test123

Post by lockie on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Sheer Dirty Attack in Ukrainian does not mean anything either bounce
    There is album Queen 1974 "Sheer heart attack". The main hero of the mission is "Dirty" Harry. I just replaced heart on dirty.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:55 pm

This is sheer nonsense Wink but I understand what you did!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:57 pm