by lockie Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:45 pm

September 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Thank you to all involved in Steel Tank Add-on

panzerfront

Thank you to all involved in Steel Tank Add-on

Post by panzerfront on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:24 am

Hello.  I've played Panzer Elite for years and had SF 1942 for a while but was put off by the interface (so many key commands).  But by following some of 33Lima's AARs I could see that the game could be played similarly to PE.   I'm actually completing some missions now and the atmosphere is incredible and immersive.  This game really shows you that the one you don't see is the one that kills you.     One question I have is that some missions allow you to continue after "mission complete" or "mission failed" comes on the screen.  Others do not.  Can this be edited so that one can always continue (assuming you are in one piece)?    Anyway kudos to the modders.  Glad I finally got on board with this sim.
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Re: Thank you to all involved in Steel Tank Add-on

Post by frinik on Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:58 am

Hello panzerfront( did you get your handle from the PS2 game of the same name?) while you have the option of playing on once the mission successful message in green letters appears on your screen if you get the dreaded mission failed then it's mission over you have to restart. Your quesiton as to whether this can be changed is an interesting one.Not to my knowledge but there could be a way of changing that.I guess you can tinker with a mission's script to make the victory or defeat's condition a bit more inf avour of the palyer but other wise....

Happy that you discovered SF .PE is a great game but a bit dated despite all the recent uupgrade mods and unbelievable work being done by Slomo, Aldo 44 and the rest....
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:07 am

Hi, panzerfront! Welcome on a board Smile
    One question I have is that some missions allow you to continue after "mission complete" or "mission failed" comes on the screen.  Others do not.  Can this be edited so that one can always continue (assuming you are in one piece)?
    All missions could be continued, if mission completed successful. In case failed then u've to re-start. As Frinik said u may edit the conditions of the victory and change whatever u want Wink

panzerfront

Thanks for the responses

Post by panzerfront on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks for the responses and welcome.  Yes I played Panzer Front on playstation, Panzer Front BIS on PS2 emulator and tried to play Panzer Front Ausf. B on a PS2.  Unfortunately I had a Japanese version and could not understand the dox so play was limited.   Looking forward to learning more about SF1942 steel tank in the coming weeks.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:00 pm

I've to say that SF is a very poor game as for tactics. It does that everything in the mission depends on the user's tank and how it'll act.
    If u like more a tactical part of the game then u should try "Operation Star" of the same developers.
    Of course, SF has a small part of the tactics and if u interested then I recommend to read this article by 33lima:
    http://combatace.com/topic/83356-fire-and-movement/

frinik

Post by frinik on Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:47 am

Unfortunately I had a Japanese version and could not understand the dox so play was limited.

Hehehe I had the same experience, my wife cracked the Japenese version of the game which I played on my children's PS2.It was limited but not bad. There were only 6 or 7 missions in France 1940 or the Desert War....

Steel Fury is about learning how to use the Mission Editor and making your own stuff in addition to playing the excellent Mission Packs. Tactically speaking it's mediocre as Lockie said but it give a good understanding of what tank warfare was in the old days.
    33lima
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by 33lima on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:21 am

Hi Panzerfront and glad you found the CombatAce AAR's of interest!

I would not say that SF was poor tactically. Yes its platoon command and radio traffic are limited. But I think we need to recognise that a WW2 tank platoon commander did not - as a general rule -fight the way he does in many Panzer Elite missions, where it is like you are on a solitary drive in the countryside, with little seen or heard of other friendly forces, apart from your own platoon's tanks.

Yes some battles (like the 1st Normandy one, St Lo IIRC) START with your tank platoon advancing with other tank platoons which you can see left and right of your own tanks. But by the first contact, the other units are either being held up or are reporting like 'CG Conolly suffers heavy loses and is withdrawing'. And you are largely or entirely on your own, from then on.

With Steel Fury, a lot depends on the mission - some SF missions are more realistic recreations of typical company-sized operations than others - but in general, I think SF does a better job of recreating a realistic battle, with the player closely tied into a larger (or more concentrated) force making what at least looks like a combined, co-ordinated all-arms attack on a specific objective.

The attacks themselves may often seem to be unimaginative, hasty frontal assaults with heavy losses (amongst light troops especially) but at least it feels like a realistic attack. And looks and sounds like it too, as you say the ambience is fantastic!

If you are the forward left platoon in a tank company that is attacking 'two up' (one platoon left, one right and the other behind in depth) then that's what you do; your tactics are realistically limited to maintaining your platoon's place in the attack and controlling its fire and movement as you go. Better platoon command options would help here but while it is tempting to give up and just 'play the hero' I try my best to play the platoon commander role that most missions cast me in, not just as a tank commander or gunner. Not as easy as in PE but I'm sticking with trying! for this reason I'd favour missions where there's time for a steady advance, with the player able to support friendly infantry rather than having to race them, have time to do a bit of bounding overwatch and scan for the enemy, and not find that the rest of the force is way ahead, conducting a Mad Charge.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:39 am