January 2018

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Ozernoe - Convoy...mission impossible??

aleader

Ozernoe - Convoy...mission impossible??

Post by aleader on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:40 am

Just played through this one (T34/85 Weapon of Victory mission #3) about 20 times now (still great fun Laughing) and the best kill count I could ever get is 4 Panthers, 2 Stugs and the Lynx.  1 Panther, a halftrack and some infantry always manage to get away when they spread out over the field and I fail the mission.  

I was watching the video of this mission by Geoweb35 with STA 3.1, and there only seems to be 3 Panthers, he catches them bunched up on the road (how??) and there are ambush markers on the map?  Has this mission been modified to make it more realistic to win?  

The biggest challenge is getting to the convoy before they're halfway gone already, as the start I get is a long ways away and I have to go full speed to get there.  Actually, the biggest challenge is all the Panthers I have to deal with! affraid I've run out of ammo several times too, although I saw lockie's post about editing tech.cfg files and now have plenty.  Am I doing something wrong here?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Ozernoe - Convoy...mission impossible??

Post by lockie on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:57 am

aleader wrote:Just played through this one (T34/85 Weapon of Victory mission #3) about 20 times now and the best kill count I could ever get is 4 Panthers, 2 Stugs and the Lynx. 1 Panther, a halftrack and some infantry always manage to get away when they spread out over the field and I fail the mission.

Yes, this mission N3 is a very big challenge! That's why it was simplified in the the STA3.x.
    U've to control a wingmen and place them as interceptors after your observation point. First destroy as more tanks of column as possible then will be a turn of the wingmen to take in the battle. The first task supposed to be executed, if u had destroyed 4 Panthers and one Stug.
    U'll see five masseges as confirmation:
    This is ASPEN. Enemy tank went to hell!
    This is ASPEN. This Panther burned!
    This is ASPEN. We got the Panther!
    This is ASPEN. Panter destroyed!
    This is ASPEN. Enemy STUG eliminated!

The original mission requests - kill all units and infantry before they reach the village, which is almost impossible.
    aleader

Post by aleader on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:39 pm

Makes sense now.  So does STA 3.X allow for better control of your wingmen?  I know I can give a move order (for all of us) and then take control of my tank and ignore that order and my wingmen will still move there, but more precise control of them would really add to the possibilities for missions (i.e. ability to place them hull-down on the reverse slope of a road, etc.). You could then possibly keep this mission challenging if your partners were useful (ala M1TP2).  Now they are just cannon fodder as they tend to do very stupid things (like drive out into the field and turn their rear to a Panther).  

I also didn't notice the two Pak 38 guns in his video (near the town).  They shot me in the back a few times when I was attempting another way to stop the column (reverse slope of the road near the town).  Were they removed too?
    plug_nickel

Post by plug_nickel on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:15 pm

aleader wrote:Makes sense now.  So does STA 3.X allow for better control of your wingmen?
    I would say a bit better.
    aleader

Post by aleader on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:01 pm

plug_nickel wrote:I would say a bit better.

Is there a way to select them individually?
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:52 pm

No , unfortunately SF is not programmed that way. You can only tell them to do as I do or using the mission editor give them a path to follow but again it s complicated and not always successful.
    aleader

Post by aleader on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Ok, thanks. Didn't think so, but was hoping. I'm still trying to figure out SABOW, but it seems that has been added as a feature to that game (the ability to order individual units)?
    mechanic

Post by mechanic on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:58 pm

aleader wrote:I'm still trying to figure out SABOW, but it seems that has been added as a feature to that game (the ability to order individual units)?  
    It's more modern game. Released in 2011. It's more tactic game. You can't do the things as in SF, like capture the Tiger or village etc. SABOW doesn't has a missions. It has only quick battle. Where is the slow battle anyway?
    aleader

Post by aleader on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:13 am

Yes, dynamic campaigns only I think. I remember when that used to be the holy grail of sims (ala Falcon 4.0). I'm loving SF, but you can't have enough tank sims!

I don't mind the strategic element. From my experience so far, SF has some extremely dumb AI, and it would be nice to have control over at least your own platoon. Obviously that's not an option in this game. I believe in SABOW I've read there is the option to hand control of the other units over to the AI and just control your own tank.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:00 am

aleader wrote:Yes, dynamic campaigns only I think. I believe in SABOW I've read there is the option to hand control of the other units over to the AI and just control your own tank.  
    SABOW has a differ conception than SF. The main idea is: to prove user that AI is a smart enough to be as a human competitor. That's why the missions were removed and changed the conditions of the victory. Now user never know did he win or lose, thus AI looks more smarter and unpredictable. In SF user always know where he should go and where the enemy forces are and did he win or not. There are many hints, descriptions, markers, images etc and the game has mission/polygon/object editor to compare with SABOW. I think SF conception is more suitable for the casual player. No wonder that SF has many mods/polygons and units. Meanwhile SABOW has nothing for the modding (except ancient DOS utilities from the last century) and I'm sure will never has, imo.
    aleader

Post by aleader on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 pm

I haven't really scratched the surface yet on SABOW. Developers don't seem to like coding AI as it's a lot of work. It's just a real shame there are so few tank sims out there and such a small market for them. I wonder if we'll ever get another one that isn't just a WOT clone.

I truly enjoy SF for that very reason, I can just jump into the tank and go. I just wish I could control my wingmen so I don't have to do pretty much all the tank killing myself, which kills the realism a bit. I've also had several instances where they actually get in my way because they're doing something stupid like turning sideways to a Tiger that's 200m away!
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:31 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:19 am