May 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Mission: Operation "Thunder" (KV-2) (under progress)

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Mission: Operation "Thunder" (KV-2) (under progress)

Post by lockie on Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:01 am

frinik wrote:May I suggest putting the barns on grass rather than on that flat-top? It does not look realistic!
    Yeah, u're right. This new barn supposed to be with a new house together. These pictures I just made for demonstrating. I'm still thinking abt how to place new buildings more suitable to the village.

Perhaps, it should look smth. like this:

Last edited by lockie on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:02 am; edited 2 times in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:11 pm

At this moment 152mm gun of the KV-2 is completely helpless against big pillbox  Rolling Eyes  Shocked
    I've managed hit first pillbox with 7 shells - 1 loader killed

Second one with 4 shells - 1 mgunner killed.

Also I had to replace T-26 on T-34.

PS
    I tested mission with mod "Hardcore target " enabled and I've to say it's a really hard to play! Even I see the target, but text/voice messages are always confusing me, coz I try to understand where dangerous coming from according info of compass Smile
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 am

RE the pillboxes I think what would need to be factored is the concussive effect like for the tanks. Because even if the 152 mm shell will not destroy the building it should hammer the soldiers inside that they would either die of shock or be unable to fight for a while probably deaf from the blast...

If playing hardcore you are better off letting the AI do the gunning.

The third house would be great for Western Europe scenarios!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:30 pm

frinik wrote:RE the pillboxes I think what would need to be factored is the concussive effect like for the tanks. Because even if the 152 mm shell will not destroy the building it should hammer the soldiers inside that they would either die of shock or be unable to fight for a while probably deaf from the blast...
    It's impossible, though game engine simulate soldier's contusion Smile
    I saw it several times. I hit sandbags, behind were infantry and a couple soldiers fall down. I thought they dead, but after a while they stood up on their legs!  Cool

The third house would be great for Western Europe scenarios!
    That's the hell a lot of work to implement it! I remember our project with Donken to put in the game "battle town" took approximately two years! But thanks to the extremely complicate and hard work from will73 we got it!

PS
    Duel "Panther" A vs KV-2 has been lost by myself Smile
    I got two shots. After first shot there was only gunner alive in my Panther. I shot 7 times and managed to hit only track  Crying or Very sad

Last edited by lockie on Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:11 pm

A couple news how things going.
    1. New building "Barn #3" is completely ready. It has destroyable feature, which consist of 19 separated parts.

2. New fence "NO vine on fence" just to add to already prepared "vine fence" Smile

3. Thanks to hard work of YL and Donken now we'are getting closer to the new "EU house #5"!

PS
    I think this is my best mission after "T-38: tank-scout"! Well, there are many possibilities how to attack area for the positive ending of the operation and it's a really dif. ones!
    I Hope, friends, u'll like this mission! I may say u more, there is ability to take Tiger II(with cockpit)! Of course, for the next mission Wink let's see what we can do! cheers
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:52 pm

There are some screenies:

frinik

Post by frinik on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:11 am

Looks like an interesting mission with a nice map . Heavy losses for the attackers....

Are the new gun emplacements with sandbags effective to protect the guns and their crews?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:44 am

frinik wrote:Looks like an interesting mission with a nice map . Heavy losses for the attackers....
    I hope so!  cheers Mission is a very simple, but user needs to know the map(there are many folds). Losses are very heavy, coz this is a frontal attack and smoke screen makes bad targeting. I played ~10 times during test and still no luck. Last time I managed to get to the center of village, but got my gun damaged Smile I think better to switch off mod "hardcore targeting"  Very Happy

Are the new gun emplacements with sandbags effective to protect the guns and their crews?
    Sandbags are just a candies. Gun with sandbag automatically becomes a good target, coz user may easy recognize sandbag and hit it instead gun. Sandbag is somehow good as protection against infantry.

PS
    I've placed one Flak88 on the balance 6, coz it's almost impossible to finish mission successful. So, on the default balance #5 there will be only one Flak88.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:46 am

A couple words how to use KV-2 gunsight.
    This is reticle from periscope PT-5, which is calibrated for the shells:
    - G-530
    - UF-530
    Both shells are anti-concrete, which works as HE shells.

This reticle from telescope gunsight T-5. Scale "MG" calibrated for AP shells "1915/28". As I know "MG" does "Seal Grenade" (Morskaya Granata). "1915/28" means it's standard of 1915-28 years and wasn't designed for the tank.
    Scale "BT" calibrated for G-530, UF-530.

Shrapnel shells "R-501 T" set up delay at "50" corresponds <500 meters.

There are some hints how to make distance measurement to hit big pillbox. The width of pillbox is about 8m.
    So, when we targeting through the reticle(scale "MG") we see exactly that pillbox width corresponds to 8 mils. It does (8m/8mils)*1000=1000m
    But if we set up lever of gunsight on the 1000meters the shell will go over pillbox. Because the pillbox height less than 8 meters. So, let it be 950meters. But in common case 1000 meters will be enough.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:58 pm

This is a FIRST VICTORY! Smile
    I`ve played on the balance "4"(minimal).
    - allies experience "4" (smart)
    - enemy experience "1" (almost idiot)

I really like it, coz this was my first mission, which I've finished with mod "Hardcore target". The main problem of this mod to user that u'll never know - did u destroy the pillbox/tank untill u'll see the smoke Cool
    But this is a great challenge and make mission more enjoyable!

The best tactic is: Do as me! Try to force er units follow er commands or they will go anywhere and soon will be destroyed.

Of course, first u've to shoot all pillboxes as soon as possible!

I led my units to the line of "dragon" almost without loses. Then my two KV stuck on "dragon teeth":

I've lost them and moved to the village alone. When I was approaching to the mission goal, I was almost out of ammos. I got only 2xAP, 2xHE shells. Then I met enemy counter-attack with Pz. 35(t) and Pz.IV F1.
    They didn't cause my "Fat boy" a big problem Smile

When I was out of ammo I decided to execute ram attack on Pz.35(t)! and won!

I may say that I liked this mission! And there were two reasons:
    1. Mission exactly devoted to KV-2
    2. It's interesting to have under er command such MONSTER as KV-2!

PS
    This "concrete can" caused my attack group a big problem!

Last edited by lockie on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:05 am

Haha! Great ramming attack and enjoyable AAR.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:12 am

Excellent victory now let's try the mission at ma Shocked x settings balance 10 and max experience for both your crew and the enemy...
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:21 am

On the max level, which is #7, u`ll get additionally 2x37mm guns Wink
    I played without "mark of target" and it was very hard even on the min level. I always heard a hint from my crew: gun, gun, gun...
    But I didn't find it without "mark" Smile

PS
    I've idea to force crew of pillbox move into trench in case if it destroyed.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:56 am

You mean to say that the commander does not call the targets anymore with the markers?
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Commander does as usually. He call me target name and azimuth, but it's hard to find, coz there is no orange highlighted mark and arrows Smile
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:15 pm

This screen will be after mission completed.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:45 pm

May I suggest this new text? I corrected some typos which I had missed and I made some slight stylistic changes . Here's the new version:

Poland July 1941. Hitler has been forced, once again, to postpone his planned, surprise attack on the Soviet Union. Initially programmed for May 1941, Unternehmen Barbarossa had been delayed due to logistical problems much to Hitler's rage and frustration. Meanwhile, his current ally, Joseph, Stalin, has finally accepted the overwhelming evidence and intelligence that both the British and his won NKVD have been telling him for month. His erstwhile ally, Adolf Hitler, had been planning a sneak attack meant to destroy the Red Army and the Soviet Communist regime. Always the cold calculator, Stalin has ordered his men to feign ignorance and has tasked the Stavka HQ to secretly prepare a preventive strike designed to smash German forces across the Bug River in occupied Poland and then push all the way to the capital of the Reich to crush his treacherous ally. On 8th July 1941, 7 million Red Army soldiers - backed by 31 000 tanks and armoured vehicles, 6800 planes and 16 000 artillery guns - are packed along the German-Soviet demarcation line in Poland and the Ukraine awaiting Stalin's order to launch the assault....
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:56 pm

frinik wrote:May I suggest this new text? I corrected some typos which I had missed and I made some slight stylistic changes . Here's the new version:

Poland July 1941. Hitler has been forced, once again, to postpone his planned, surprise attack on the Soviet Union. Initially programmed for May 1941, Unternehmen Barbarossa had been delayed due to logistical problems much to Hitler's rage and frustration. Meanwhile, his current ally, Joseph, Stalin, has finally accepted the overwhelming evidence and intelligence that both the British and his won NKVD have been telling him for month. His erstwhile ally, Adolf Hitler, had been planning a sneak attack meant to destroy the Red Army and the Soviet Communist regime. Always the cold calculator, Stalin has ordered his men to feign ignorance and has tasked the Stavka HQ to secretly prepare a preventive strike designed to smash German forces across the Bug River in occupied Poland and then push all the way to the capital of the Reich to crush his treacherous ally. On 8th July 1941, 7 million Red Army soldiers - backed by 31 000 tanks and armoured vehicles, 6800 planes and 16 000 artillery guns - are packed along the German-Soviet demarcation line in Poland and the Ukraine awaiting Stalin's order to launch the assault....

This is GREAT!
    I'll make just one fix. This is according to Bunich data.
    On 7th July 1941

PS
    Would be interesting to see a short video abt this mission Wink KV-2 was never saw the real battle, which this tank was designed for.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:13 pm

I've got victory on the balance "4", allies "4", enemy "2"! Well, it's interesting Smile

PS
    Suppose Lieutenant Mazepa deserved at least "Order of Lenin"!

BTW
    It's possible to create "dynamic campaign" on the base of the text briefing.

dukling

Post by dukling on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:25 am

I won on the balance of 5 :
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Here's source files of the mission. Everyone may improve/change polygon.
    4shared.com/file/-Ys0avDdce/sta_thunder.html
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:17 am

Why change it?That map looks great to me. When you don't use the markers can the AI still find the targets?My guess is that the markers are for us "dumb" humans Very Happy
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:36 pm

frinik wrote:Why change it?That map looks great to me.
    I've already found some errors and make a changes its a good desire for everybody Wink Also this source kit show how to install new objects. It's kinda sample to support polygon creating.

When you don't use the markers can the AI still find the targets? My guess is that the markers are for us "dumb" humans Very Happy
    AI works as usually, only user suffer of additional information absence. Of course user is much, much smarter then AI! Very Happy That's why removing highlighted marks - will to some extent equalizing chances user vs AI enemy. And I may say the game becomes more interesting, coz u've lost two main advances as:
    - where is the enemy exactly. U've only hint from commander - it's gun/tank/infantry located somewhere 400 meters further with azimuth 90 and that's all Smile
    - u never know did u destroy tank or not until u'll see bail out members or smoke
    And u become more careful and attentive, coz commander told it one time. Imagine, if u switch off external camera also Wink

Tanker
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by Tanker on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:55 pm

frinik wrote:Why change it?That map looks great to me. When you don't use the markers can the AI still find the targets?My guess is that the markers are for us "dumb" humans Very Happy

LOL, I'd be a lot smarter if I was viewing those targets in real life scale vice a 24 inch monitor.

It's a problem common to all games of this type.  AI can spot targets well before humans because the algorithms don't let the AI over look targets that are calculated to be "in view".

I actually have the opposite view from Lockie. I think markers equalize the chance for the human to compete with the infallibly sighted AI. Without the markers I find myself remaining as the TC and letting the gunner find and shoot at the targets I just cannot spot.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:44 pm

I share the same view Tanker. I think the AI has the advantage of being infaillible when it comes to spotting target and hitting them. Where we prevail is using our judgment to make the best choice of picking the most dangerous/closest target first and then moving on the lesser threats . Also fortunately for us the AI rarely stops to aim and often will shoot wide by driving when attacking. you

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 23, 2017 11:32 pm