» Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
by woofiedog Today at 9:52 pm

» Woofie the Dog's Skin Shop
by woofiedog Today at 9:25 pm

» Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)
by lockie Today at 11:15 am

» Best laptop for playing
by Lightning62 Today at 10:36 am

» All of the command keys are set to ???
by lockie Today at 8:00 am

» Sta scranny 001:Error
by mechanic Yesterday at 9:51 pm

» Missing Keyboard Defaults
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:10 pm

» Any way to separate infantry from tanks?
by aleader Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:50 pm

» STA(Steel Tank Add-on) 3.2 (Steel Fury)
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 pm

December 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)

Lightning62

Re: Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)

Post by Lightning62 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

Hi,
    I think idea protect the bridge against USA armor is very good. I give you some information about Carius Westfront battles I discovered from net:

On 8 March 1945 Carius unit (Jagdtiger 2nd Company of the 512th Heavy Antitank Battalion) was directed to front line near Siegburg, where it took part in the defense of the River Rhein, against Americans. Its historical fact. What is better that defend the bridge against Shermans or Pershings.
    Information about Siegburg - Siegburg (i.e. fort on the Sieg river) is a city in the district of Rhein-Sieg-Kreis, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is located on the banks of the rivers Sieg and Agger, 10 kilometres from the former seat of West German government Bonn and 26 kilometres from Cologne.

In April 1945, he was into the Ruhr pocket. During the fighting there he destroyed in a battle at the Friedrich-Wilhelm-height in the Bismarck-tower between Unna and Langschede on 11 April 1945 about 15 Allied tanks.

On Janurary 17, 1945, two Jagdtigers engaged fortified positions near Auenheim with no loss. The next day, they engaged four bunkers at a distance of 1,000 meters. The combat had 46 high-explosive and 10 armoured-piercing shells fired on fortifications and tanks, the Jagdtigers were able to kill a few Allied bunkers and tanks with no losses. Then in April 1945, 512th Battalion saw lots of action when the 1st company engaged Allied tanks and trucks in April 9th, destroying 11 tanks and over 30 other AFVs, the distance of engagement was more than 4,000 meters and ended with only one Jagdtiger lost due to an air attack. The next few days, the 1st company proceeded to destroy five more Shermans before surrendering at Iserlohn. All activity of the 512th Battallion ended with the surrender of the last of the 2nd company April 15th in the same city. This information is from Carius unit oper.raport.

This is all information I got from net.
    Maybe someone can tell me is this information true or give addional information about this battles ?

With regards
    Lightning62
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Lightning62, thanks for the info!
    I've a new polygon a western type with two bridges. We may organize a defence 3x Jagdtiger has a task to stop the enemy crossing the river over two bridges!

Lightning62

Post by Lightning62 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi,
    Great. It will be hard. And how many opponents ?

With regards
    Lightning62
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Lightning62 wrote: Great. It will be hard. And how many opponents?
    I guess the hardness will be selectable depends on balance.
    At default balance N5 there will be:
    GER
    1. 3x Jagdtiger (2x?)
    2. 1x infantry platoon (gebirgsjager)
    3. 2x ATG Pak-43
    4. 5x Support trucks at the area of Siegburg

USA
    1. 3x M26 "Pershing"
    2. 6x M4A1/76
    3. 8x APC M3 with 2x inf. platoon
    4. 2x support trucks with inf. squad
    5. 2x Thunderbolt

First try to fire up the mission in ME!  Cool

As u can see Jagdtigers need insignia of 512 Heavy Panzerjager Battalion.

This area subject to be protected

Defence line of the Bridge N1

Defence line of the Bridge N2

US armor column

The next mission will be breakthrough the "Rurh pocket".  Well, in fact the squad of O. Carius didn't has active battles. According to his memories he shoot one US tank.

This is a draft variant of the history note:
    On 8th March 1945 Carius unit ("Jagdtiger" 2nd Company of the 512th Heavy Antitank Battalion) was directed to
    front line near Siegburg, where it took part in the defense of the River Rhein, against Americans.
    Siegburg (fort on the Sieg river) is a city in the district of Rhein-Sieg-Kreis, in North Rhine-Westphalia,
    Germany. It is located on the banks of the rivers Sieg and Agger, 10 kilometres from the former seat of
    West German government Bonn and 26 kilometres from Cologne.
    On 21 March, the 512th Heavy Panzerjager Battalion was assigned to LIII Corps and committed to the Battle of Remagen. Illustrating the difficulties German forces faced in getting their armor to the front, it took ten days to bring the first five Jagdtigers of the 2nd company 512th Heavy Panzerjager Battalion to the front
    due to communications breakdowns and the threat from fighter-bombers.

In Siegburg I found a magnificent position on the high ground where the military posts were. From there we had great fields of fire through a cut in the woods onto the road that led into the valley on the far side of the
    Sieg River. We wailed for the Americans at this location, but we weren't granted any kills here either,
    even though I had remained in my assault gun to prevent a new failure. That was because the Yanks had
    confederates among us.
    Leutnant Otto Carius, Tigers in the mud.

Lightning62

Post by Lightning62 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Hi,
    opponents are not easy especially this damn Thunderbolts. Is there any german anti-aircraft unit too ? Laughing

With regards
    Lightning62
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:02 am

If I remember correctly many of his Abteilung Jadgtiger crews refused to shoot at the Americans for fear that the dreaded American or British Jabos would come and shoot them up. At this stage of the war many German soldiers were more concerned about finishing it alive than dying for a lost cause. Carius should have been the first one to face reality and make the lives of the men under his command his first priority. Destroying even dozens of US armoured vehicles was not going to change the course of the war.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:03 pm

Lightning62 wrote:Hi,
     opponents are not easy especially this damn Thunderbolts. Is there any german anti-aircraft unit too ? Laughing
    Unfortunately, the damage of the aircraft is not satisfied.
    "Thunderbolt" in action! Pak-43 kaput  Embarassed

frinik wrote:At this stage of the war many German soldiers were more concerned about finishing it alive than dying for a lost cause.
    The same situation was in the summer 1941 when the Soviet soldiers acts accordingly.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie Today at 11:15 am

Mission N9  Siegburg, 21th MAR 1945 (Sd.Kfz. 186 Jagdtiger) is about to be finished!

Great thanks to Lightning62 for his help with info and texts!
    The mission will be short and simple. It is end of the March 1945. Allies encircled a lot of German troops "Ruhr pocket". User has a task to slow down US armor to provide retreating of the main forces.
    U just move to the bridge, shoot a couple American tanks ("Pershing"/"Easy Eight"), then retreat.
    According to the rumors 512th Heavy Panzerjager Battalion had insignia "Puma". So I've placed it just for fun Smile  pirat
    Also on the map will be presented the new object "Old stone bridge".

Briefing:

Initial situation:
    It is 21st March 1945. Germany, district of Rhein-Sieg-Kreis in North Rhine-Westphalia, Siegburg area
    (fort on the Sieg river). LIII Corps under commanding Generalleutnant Bayerlein, 2nd Company 512th Heavy
    Panzerjager Battalion.
    U.S. 12th Army Group under commanding Omar Nelson Bradley crossed the River Rhine at Remagen and his
    advanced forces of the 9th Armored Division moves towards Ludendorff Bridge.

Combat order:
    512th Heavy Panzerjager Battalion has a task to provide a cover to our retreating forces and hold on to
    the defencive positions near area of the fort Siegburg. We have two bridgeheads N1 an N2. Both strongpoints
    are important in our defencive line. But Bridgehead N1 is the key of our defence!
    - Oberleutnant Carius, hold on to positions at any cost and give us a time to fallback towards Cologne!
    We are still the soldiers of our Fuhrer and have to defend our Fatherland!
    Dissmised.

Your Task:
    You are Oberleutnant Otto Carius. There are two Jagdtigers under your command. Your squad operates
    as a main of our defence.
    You are located to the west of the fort Siegburg. You have to:
    - engage a defencive position and hold on to the bridgehead area untill the command FALLBACK
    will be received
    - retreat towards Cologne

Callsigns:
    HQ is OAK
    Your squad is WOLF

Artillery Support:
    No artillery support.

Air Support:
    No air support

Reconnaissance:
    The enemy has a tanks "Sherman" equipped with a 76mm gun. His attack supported with a
    motorized infantry and possibly with a Jabo.

Commander of the 512th Heavy Panzerjager Battalion Hauptmann Willy Scherr

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:10 pm