» Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
by woofiedog Today at 9:52 pm

» Woofie the Dog's Skin Shop
by woofiedog Today at 9:25 pm

» Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)
by lockie Today at 11:15 am

» Best laptop for playing
by Lightning62 Today at 10:36 am

» All of the command keys are set to ???
by lockie Today at 8:00 am

» Sta scranny 001:Error
by mechanic Yesterday at 9:51 pm

» Missing Keyboard Defaults
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:10 pm

» Any way to separate infantry from tanks?
by aleader Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:50 pm

» STA(Steel Tank Add-on) 3.2 (Steel Fury)
by Lightning62 Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 pm

December 2017

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)

Lightning62

Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)

Post by Lightning62 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pm

lockie wrote:
    Let's start the next mission by Deviator! The draft name is "Thunderstruck with frost".

It is January 1944. The Soviet troops broke the siege of Leningrad and developed an advance. s.Pz.Abt. 502 has a tack to cover the retreat.  User has 3x Tiger and infantry plaoon against numerous Soviet T-26 and T-34 plus ATG. This mission would be perfect to include in the Campaign devoted to Otto Carius.
    briefing:

Initial situation:
    It is the 25th January 1944, Gatchina, Leningrad area, USSR. Army Group North, s.Pz.Abt 502 under command Major Willy Jahde.

Combat order:
    Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502 has a task to breakthrough the Soviet defence at the area of the village
    Ilkino then capture a railroad station Voiskovitsy and further provide an escape route to our troops.

Your Task:
    You are Oberleutnant Ernst Behnke. There are three tanks Pz.VI ausf.H and infantry platoon under your command.
    Your Kampfgruppe acts as a standalone unit. You have to:
    - attack and capture the village Ilkino and railroad station Voiskovitsy

Callsigns:
    HQ is OAK
    Your squad is WOLF

Reconnaissance:
    According to the recce data the enemy holds on to the defence area with a forces of the 220th Tank Brigade. An additional tank group consist of the tanks T-34 moves towards railroad station Voiskovitsy.

Artillery Support:
    No artillery support

Air Support:
    No air support

The Commander of the Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502 Major Willy Jahde

Hi,
     Great idea!  If you want make Otto Carius campaign in his career is one great battle in July1944 Latvia. I give you short information about this battle:
    History note:
    " In the July of 1944, Russians outflanked the German defensive lines via the motorways west of Minsk and Borissov to Witebsk (same route was used by Germans in 1941). By using tanks in vast numbers, Soviets intended to divide the German occupied territory into small salients and then take port city of Riga. Since Riga is situated at the mouth of Dvina River, Dunaburg was an important strategic point for both Germans and Russians. On July 22 of 1944, 1st Lieutenant Otto Carius with his company of eight (early and mid production) Tigers advanced towards village of Malinava (northern suburb of Dunaburg) in order to halt the Russian advance. 1st Lieutenant Otto Carius and 1st Lieutenant Albert Kerscher (one of the most decorated commanders of sPzAbt 502) took a Kubelwagen in order to check if the village was already occupied by Russians. They discovered that village of Malinava was already occupied by the enemy. Carius recognized that the Russian tanks in the village were only advance troops waiting for the main force to arrive. He decided to recapture the village before the arrival of reinforcements. Carius returned to his company for briefing and explained his plan to take the village. He decided to attack the village using only two tanks because there was only one road leading to the village and rushing all of his Tigers would be dangerous. Six Tigersremained in the reserve while Carius and Kerscher's Tigers moved towards the village of Malinava. Speed was the essence of Carius' strategy and it was decisive to upset Russians and immobilize their tanks. When Carius' Tiger No.217 was about to enter the village, two T-34/85 tanks were observed rotating their turrets. At this moment, Kerscher's Tiger No.213 which followed Carius at about 150m, fired and knocked them out. Also for the first time, Otto Carius encountered Russian's latest JS-1 (or possibly JS-2) heavy tank. Its silhouette was somewhat similar to the German King Tiger and Carius was confused at first but after hesitating a bit, he fired and JS-1 burst into flames. Afterwards, Otto Carius recalls that the entire battle did not last more than 20 minutes. In such a short time, Carius and Kerscher's Tigers knocked out 17 Russian tanks including the new JS-1. Although the Russians were attacked by suprise, Carius' quick and accurate recognition of the situation and the excellent tactics used were the main factors in the outcome. Carius' achievement at Malinava is equally outstanding to Michael Wittmann's achievement at Villers-Bocage.  http://www.achtungpanzer.com/gen4.htm
    What you think about this battle?

With regards
    Lightning62

EDIT:
    here's a link to download Campaign here:
    http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t805-stasteel-tank-add-on-3-2-steel-fury
    So far NINE missions are ready ON 11.12.2017  happy

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Re: Campaign: Otto Carius (WIP)

Post by lockie on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:48 pm

Lightning62 wrote:Hi,
     Great idea!  If you want make Otto Carius campaign in his career is one great battle in July1944 Latvia. I give you short information about this battle:
    What you think about this battle?
    I think it's possible, but I've one request if u'll be ready to test all missions! Wink flag drink
    I've found a map for the mentioned story. Personally, I think it is a fairy-tail. Two Tigers can't destroyed 17th JS-2, but we may try it! happy
    Here's a plan of the mission.

Two Tigers attacks the village of Malinava occupied with a Soviet troops (2xT-34/85, 1xJS-2 and infantry platoon), then repel(make ambush?) the enemy attack of 14 JS-2.

At this moment we've one mission with Otto Carius. I think we may compile 10 during the time. Tiger I is more preferable for me than Tiger II(this tank has the last position in my list of favorable units).
    frinik
    TSF Member-Golden Feather

Post by frinik on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:49 am

Lockie my friend you misunderstood the recount. Carius and his wingman destroyed 17 tanks including one JS-1.Presumably the other 16 were T34/85. It is not said they destroyed 17 JS-2. Especially since the JS-2 production barely started in January 1944. What they may have destroyed could have been a KV-85 rather than a proper JS-2.

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:33 am

frinik wrote:Carius and his wingman destroyed 17 tanks including one JS-1.Presumably the other 16 were T34/85.
    Yes, u're right. I couldn't agree more. But I think the left tanks were either T-34/76 or KV-85, because the first T-34/85 with a gun D-5T were produced only in JAN 1944.

It is not said they destroyed 17 JS-2. Especially since the JS-2 production barely started in January 1944. What they may have destroyed could have been a KV-85 rather than a proper JS-2.
    Then what is the final balance of the mission?
    I see:
    1. in the village: 2xT-34/76, 1xJS-2 and inf. platoon
    2. attacking: 14xKV-85? Scared
    Well, even in this case mission will be impossible. Would be better to try 5xKV-85 and 9xT-34/76.

EDIT
    I've found some mentions abt. this battle 22.07.44. village Malinava
    https://forum.axishistory.com//viewtopic.php?t=163515
    1) Schwaner's report gives a more realistic idea of action on 22.07.1944 than Carius' memoirs.
    2) The mysterious heavy tank brigade never existed. In fact the company commanded by Carius was in action against the 41st Tank brigade (T-34 and M3 medium tanks) and the 48th Guards Heavy Tank Regiment, both from the 5th Tank Corps. The first lost some 10 T-34 destroyed at Malinovo/Malinava on 22.07, the latter - 5 IS-2.
    3) Some brigade commander (major, HSU) killed by Carius is a pure fantasy. The most high-ranking Soviet tank officer killed at Malinovo on this day was captain Orlovskiy, CO of the 1st battalion, 41st Tank Brigade.
    4) Ambush east of Malinovo, in which Carius allegedly destroyed 28 Soviet tanks seems to a fantasy as well. At least no Soviet tank unit ever noticed that it was ambushed in that area.

To summarize there were nomore than 15 tanks: 10xT-34 and 5xJS-2.

PS
    Mission is almost ready! bounce
    I'll upload it soon for TSF members and send PM to Lightning62 for testing.
    frinik

Post by frinik on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:52 pm

Actually production started in a limited fashion in December 1943 and some models were given to elite units for testing in combat. It s not entirely impossible that some of tanks destroyed by Carius and co were T34/85 being tested. I read somewhere that by February 1944, when full production started ,over 400 T34/85 had already been distributed to various units.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:05 pm

frinik wrote:Actually production started in a limited fashion in December 1943 and some models were given to elite units for testing in combat.
    Yes, suppose it was T-34/85 with a gun D-5T. Anyway it doesn't matter, coz action had place on 22nd July 1944. At those period T-34/85 already presented in the Soviet tank troops.
    A couldn't help myself to create the base for the Campaign: Otto Carius! Cool yahoo Fighting

We may include a couple missions on Pz.38(t), 7th missions with Tiger and one with Jagdtiger.

Interview with Otto Carius:
    http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2014/08/carius-interview.html

Last edited by lockie on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Lightning62

Post by Lightning62 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi,
    Lightning62 here again. In summer 1944 Carius was wounded and after this he come back to service again in 1945 Westfront against US troops. His new weapon was Jagdtiger. I think that at the beginning 1945 to end Carius fight very few battles. I think maybe Carius Campaign first missions with Tiger I must be before he got wounded or its very short campaign.

With regards
    Lightning62
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Campaign: Otto Carius

Post by lockie on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:03 am

Lightning62 wrote:In summer 1944 Carius new weapon was Jagdtiger. I think that at the beginning 1945 to end Carius fight very few battles.
    One mission for Jagdtiger will be enough.

I think maybe Carius Campaign first missions with Tiger I must be before he got wounded or its very short campaign.
    Yeap, exactly! 2 missions for Pz.38(t), 7xTigers, 1xJagdtiger.

At this moment three missions are available:
    1. Malinava, JUL 1944 (Pz.VI ausf.H "Tiger")
    2. Ilkino, 25th JAN 1944 (Pz.VI ausf.H "Tiger")
    3. Siivertsi, 13th FEB 1944 (Pz.VI ausf.H "Tiger")
    plug_nickel

Post by plug_nickel on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:19 am

I WANT this campaign! thumbsup
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:22 am

So far we've three missions available:
    Siivertsi

Malinava

Ilkino

Mission Siivertsiwill be available as a demo version, which presents the Campaign.
    Now let's make a couple missions with Pz.38(t)!
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 pm

Mission "Malinava" has many surprises Shocked
    I've captured a Soviet trench located at ouskirts of the village then started to clear the area. I played as a driver and set up mod to AI "don't shoot without command". I was sure to see the enemy tank at the distance. BUT everything happened unexpectedly! affraid
    I took the right and saw T-34/85! I didn't have a time to take a seat as a gunner and decided to make a ram-attack! I did it! But Soviet tank managed to shoot first! My wingman right immediately shoot at response, but it was too late. My Tiger kaput Smile

I didn't have so much fun a long time ago!bounce cyclops happy  
    Of course, if u play with "highlited targets" the mission becomes much easy bom

This is my one from the numerous attempts to finish the mission successfully Smile
    1. My squad moves towards enemy trench and called arty support.

2. Trench captured!

3. Let's clear the village area!
    My trophies were T-34/85 and JS-2.

5. Mission over. My Tiger was destroyed in an unequal battle with a Soviet armor column.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Here's a history note for the mission "7th July Ula". At those moment Carius was a loader in the tank Pz.38(t), but in the mission he is commander and promoted to the rank Unteroffizier.

At the begginnig of July 1941 Commander of the 3rd Panzer Group Generaloberst Hermann Hoth decided to use General der Panzertruppe Rudolf Schmidt's XXXIX Armeekorps (mot.) to smash in front Marshal Tymoshenko's 20th Army reinforced with 5th and 7th Mechanized Corps. The purpose was to prevent the Soviet counterattack towards Senno and Lepel. The 20.Panzer-Division had already captured a road bridge over the Western Dvina at Ula and had been developing a bridgehead for several days. On the morning of 9th July, the 20.Panzer-Division crossed the Western Dvina into the bridgehead and conducted a superbly-executed attack that was in stark contrast to Vinogradov's debacle. Panzer-Regiment 21 made a short work of the Soviet infantry, easily penetrating the front held by the 62nd Rifle Corps and advanced 60km to seize the city of Vitebsk by nightfall. Otto Carius was a loader on a Pz.38(t) tank in the L/Pz. Regt. 21 at Ula.
    https://forum.axishistory.com//viewtopic.php?t=125874

He was also a crew-member of the the Tank Pz.IV. Suppose it was ausf.D.
    then I was promoted to a tank platoon commander, a Feldwebel. We still fought with Czech tanks. Then I was promoted, and I was the commander of a platoon with PzIV tanks with 7.5 cm guns.
    plug_nickel

Post by plug_nickel on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:04 pm

What is the difference between Unteroffizier and Feldwebel?

Lightning62

Post by Lightning62 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi.
    Junior NCOs, Unteroffiziere ohne Portepee
    Unteroffizier
    Originally only upon completion of NCO school; later also an automatic promotion for acting squad leaders with 4 months of combat experience. Could be advanced directly to Feldwebel/Wachtmeister.
    Senior NCOs, Unteroffiziere mit Portepee
    Feldwebel
    From mid-war an automatic promotion for acting platoon leaders with 4 months of combat experience.

With regards
    Lightning62
    plug_nickel

Post by plug_nickel on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:18 am

Lightning62 wrote:Hi.
    Junior NCOs, Unteroffiziere ohne Portepee
    Unteroffizier
    Originally only upon completion of NCO school; later also an automatic promotion for acting squad leaders with 4 months of combat experience. Could be advanced directly to Feldwebel/Wachtmeister.
    Senior NCOs, Unteroffiziere mit Portepee
    Feldwebel
    From mid-war an automatic promotion for acting platoon leaders with 4 months of combat experience.

With regards
    Lightning62
    Thanks!
    It is easier for me to use such ranks Unteroffiziere - Corporal, Feldwebel - Master Sergeant.

Lightning62

Post by Lightning62 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:56 am

Hi,
    its great wiki site for understanding German rankstructure and Brits/US equavalents:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_and_insignia_of_the_German_Army_(1935%E2%80%931945)

With regards
    Lightning62
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:33 pm

The draft version of the first mission is ready! It is kinda easy walking. User moves in the line of the attack group where presenred Pz.IV/F1, Pz.I/A, Panzerjagger. The task is simple - breakthrough and capture two enemy defence lines. Action took place near Ulla, Vitebsk area, Belorussia, July 1941.

So far we've 4 missions available. I'm planning to make the next two missions with Pz.38(t) and Pz.IV/F1. Of course, I need help Monsignor Frinik and his golden feather to add a beauty to all texts! friends

Last edited by lockie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    frinik

Post by frinik on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:21 pm

I will gladly put my feather to work your Excellency .Please provide to me by PM the proposed missions and I shall carve the texts in gilded letters.... sunny
    geoweb35
    Golden Camera
    Golden Camera

Post by geoweb35 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:45 pm

i played 2 missions,great campaign king
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:57 am

geoweb35 wrote:i played 2 missions,great campaign king
    salute flag gcat

Let's start the mission N2!

Here's a briefing:
    briefing:

After Minsk capturing German troops began moving towards the rivers boundary of West Dvina and
    Dnipro River. A motorized 39th Corps of the 3rd Tank Group started movement towards Vitebsk. At
    the forefront of the offensive there were 7th and 20th Panzer Divisions. On 8th July 1941 defence
    of the 20th Tymoshenko's Army (reinforced with 5th and 7th Mechanized Corps) was broken at the
    Ulla district.
    During 9-11th had place a tank battles between 20th PD and a remnants of the 7th Mechanized
    Corps, which led in full retreat of the Soviet forces. This armoured confrontation at the Ulla
    area was a complete fiasco of the Soviets, resulting in the loss of about 832 tanks and another
    100 damaged, or more than 80 percent of the armour were lost. The scale of the Soviet
    armours losses in just a few days was catastrophic, almost as bad as if they had deliberately
    driven both corps off a cliff. Furthermore, a large number of the Soviet tanks were simply
    abandoned by their crews, indicating morale problems. On 11th July 1941 Vitebsk was taken by
    Wermacht.
    Otto Carius:
    The loader must make sure the gun is loaded on time, and the machinegun does not jam. If there is a jam, he must fix it. The loader is a poor man, he sees nothing and has no idea what is happening. The loader in a Pz38(t) Czech tank is completely blind, and in a Tiger as well.
    This time 20th Panzer Division, where Carius served, had a contact with a parts of the 7th Mech Corps. Of course, if the Soviet tankers wanted to fight with Wehrmacht for the Stalin and communists, the German cans  would smash and crush out to the last piece, but they didn't. Thus we need a good action, ie Pz.38(t) vs T-26/T-38 and at the balance "5" with T-34.

Mission will start at the morning with a thick fog presented, which will disappear after a while.
    Now Pz.38(t) has been equipped with a simple cockpit to avoid user's confusion with a black/blue flickering screen.

Great work by Geoweb35! I've to say he deserved the TSF ribbon on his avatar.

BTW
    Would be nice to get such exotic SPG on the chassis of Pz.I. Suppose, it is 150mm. Just wonder, how long it pull back after a shot?  Shocked

Last edited by lockie on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 am

We've a plot story for the mission N3!
    In February 1942, when I returned from an officer school, I didn't get any tank at first!
    I had to command a platoon of engineers, even though I knew nothing about mines and such. I had to learn as I went. This came in handy later. And then I was promoted to a tank platoon commander, a Feldwebel. We still fought with Czech tanks. Then I was promoted, and I was the commander of a platoon with Pz.IV tanks with 7.5 cm guns.
    Leutnant Otto Carius

The area of the next battle will be summer 1942, Rzhev region, village Sychovka.
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Mission N3 is ready! So, now we've 6 missions available! alien
    The next mission will be devoted to the same hero Pz.IV/F1 where u've to act as a pioneer squad!
    During the fighting in the early summer of 1942, the 21st regiment received its first Panzer III and IV tanks, which helped even the playing field against the tough new Soviet T-34 tanks. For his combat experience and leadership Carius was promoted to Leutnant and served as the commander of the battalion’s pioneer platoon.

I may say that T-34/76 is a very hard nut for Pz.IV/F1! Freak
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:24 pm

Mission N7 is on the way!
    It is July 1942. User still acts as a pioneer squad and have to destroy the enemy column, capture the village and together with a main forces clear the hill. Action has place during  the night Suspect

So far, we've SEVEN missions available!
    Get a link here!  What?  Yes!
    http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t805-stasteel-tank-add-on-3-2-steel-fury
    lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 am

Let's start the mission N8!
    This time action had place in Latvia, Dunaburg district, village of Maruga, 16th July 1944. The Soviets executed a Siauliai(Bagration) offensive operation during summer 1944. 502nd heavy tank battalion was detached to the infantry to repel the Soviet attack.

On July 15th 1944, I was attached to a Kampfgruppe, which had constructed a defensive line with a weak forces at Maruga, farther to the west. The leader of the Kampfgruppe had been the commander of a large city in the occupied eastern territories before his employment at the front. He hasn't quite in charge of the situation. In my presence, the divisional commander calmed him down on the telephone and assured him that I would show up by morning with my "Tigers."
    Leutnant Otto Carius, Tigers in the mud.

Here's a mission briefing:
    briefing:

Initial situation:
    It is 16th July 1944. Latvia, Dunaburg area, village of Maruga. 16th Army under command General der Infanterie Paul Laux, schwere Panzer Abteilung 502, 2nd Company.
    Soviets outflanked the German defensive lines via the motorways west of Minsk and Borissov to Witebsk. Their tanks moves towards Dunaburg.

Combat order:
    The Soviet 2nd Baltic Front broke through our defencive line "Panther" and his advanced group with a forces of the 41st Tank Brigade rushed towards Dunaburg. 3rd Infantry Regiment of the 124th Division stopped the enemy near the villages of Maruga and Karasino, but their resistance wont take too long, because of our forces has no power left. The Heavy Tank Battalion 502nd was detached to the mobile Kampfgruppe with a purpose to establish a firm front line and halt the Soviet further advance. The "Tigers" of our battalion were tasked to prevent the enemy breakthrough and eliminate  his stronghold at the area of the villages Maruga and Karasino.

Your Task:
    You are Lieutenant Otto Carius. There are four tanks Pz.VI ausf.H and infantry platoon under your command. Your tanks operates as a main shock squad of mobile Kampfgruppe.
    You are located to the east of the village Maruga. You have to:
    - attack the village Maruga and capture it
    - develop advance and recapture the village of Karasino
    - eliminate any possible enemy counter-attack

Callsigns:
    HQ is OAK
    Your squad is WOLF
    Squad of Lt. Eichhorn is MARDER

Artillery Support:
    No artillery support.

Air Support:
    No air support

Reconnaissance:
    The enemy holds on to the defencive positions with a forces of the 221st Infantry Division reinforced with a tanks T-34 and JS-2 of the 41st Tank Brigade under command Captain Orlovsky.

Commander of the Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502 Major Willy Jahde

lockie
    TSF Member
    TSF Member

Post by lockie on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:15 am

I'm thinking the left two missions devote to Jagdtiger. It'll be West Europe, but I want to place such exotic building on the map bounce It is a water mill.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:09 pm